Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

do not encourage people to kill themselves, idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

do not encourage people to kill themselves, idiots

Reminder that yeah, these depressed posters are in a very bad shape right now and have been harvesting negative energy from political threads for a while. Don't even joke about this poo poo

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

nerdz posted:

Reminder that yeah, these depressed posters are in a very bad shape right now and have been harvesting negative energy from political threads for a while. Don't even joke about this poo poo

For me at least, that's not true. Jokes put things into perspective for me and I take a lot of solace in it. But I do understand how for some, it is not. I'll keep my depression out of threads, it just got a little too much. Mea culpa. Also, can we guillotine yet?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why is Brazilian politics so bad?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's like Italy but tropical and worse

spivak
May 19, 2010
We were essentially feudal until 90 years ago maybe? We only abolished slavery in 1888? We were an honest to God "empire" under a Portuguese prince for most of the 19th century? We are still ruled by a conservative land based aristocracy? Who knows man

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

punk rebel ecks posted:

imperialism has a hell of a legacy

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Brazil has a long story of authoritarism and its legacy is part of the foundation of many of our institutions. We've had a generation grow under a representative republic, but that is in no way the "normal" for our nation's history.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

ZearothK posted:

Brazil has a long story of authoritarism and its legacy is part of the foundation of many of our institutions. We've had a generation grow under a representative republic, but that is in no way the "normal" for our nation's history.

I thought it was because Neymar is a diving oval office

On a serious note it is really sad to see a lot of countries without strong institutions slide to authoritarianism so soon after achieving actual reform. Hopefully Bolsonaro, Duterte, Orban and their ilk are just a speed bump in history but it's hard to be so optimistic these days.

The SituAsian has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Oct 9, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

An insane mind posted:

The amount of times my psychologist said, no one will join up with Wilders, he's just a flash in the pan and it's just words he's spouting while he absolutely explodes in the polls because he finds an easy scapegoat in the Jews Muslims and other marginalized groups and I'm just sitting there thinking; this has happened again and again, Hitler, Pinochet, Gadaffi and no one wants to learn from goddamn history. We learn for half a century and then start right back up again with the fascism and the strongarming leaders. It's sickening and depressing which turns my head even further because depression is not an activator.

gently caress this gay earth I want out.

Any particular sources saying he is rising? It's hard for me to find them since my Dutch is still pretty bad.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

AceOfFlames posted:

Any particular sources saying he is rising? It's hard for me to find them since my Dutch is still pretty bad.

It might just be me doom thinking but his party is the second largest in the Netherlands, he basically gets to say whatever he wants with very little consequence. And, trying to emulate Wilders party's success the whole of Dutch centre and right have gleefully become more populist. It's honestly not fun to think about. But this is the Brazil is burning thread, is there a the Netherlands is burning thread? I mean, Wilders is the only sort of interesting thing about us other than our other permanent poopulist Thierry Baudet.

An insane mind has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Oct 9, 2018

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

An insane mind posted:

It might just be me doom thinking but his party is the second largest in the Netherlands, he basically gets to say whatever he wants with very little consequence. And, trying to emulate Wilders party's success the whole of Dutch centre and right have gleefully become more populist. It's honestly not fun to think about. But this is the Brazil is burning thread, is there a the Netherlands is burning thread? I mean, Wilders is the only sort of interesting thing about us other than our other permanent poopulist Thierry Baudet.

there's a eurothread here, i guess that's the closest thing? seems like the big topics there are italian and french collapse, so dutch collapse ought to fit in nicely

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Oct 8, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm actually kind of impressed with brazil's enthusiasm for fascist rule

like these guys really want them some fascism

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

i'm actually kind of impressed with brazil's enthusiasm for fascist rule

like these guys really want them some fascism

It's a mix of depressed turnout (the lowest in 20 years), a strong rejection of the party that was in power for the last 16 years and a full-on crisis in all sectors

but yeah, sadly the biggest reason is that people actually want fascism.

I also see a severe lack of class consciousness at play right now. Two more anecdotes:

- My wife's cousin has gone all in on bolsonaro, especially for his plans on security issues (basically give a license to kill to cops). Plot twist: he's an ex-con.

- I overheard the mailman talking about how happy he is that bolsonaro is getting elected. In Brazil the first thing that comes to mind when you think "poo poo that will get immediately privatized" is the postal service. Not only that, the proposed worker rights changes are hilariously bad (did anyone read about the "carteira de trabalho verde a amarela?")

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

[quote="nerdz" post="488747148"]
a strong rejection of the party that was in power for the last 16 years
Why so?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

[quote="nerdz" post="488747148"]
a strong rejection of the party that was in power for the last 16 years
Why so?

The biggest reason is self-explanatory: They've been in power for a super long time, and while they had a pretty strong start, they started getting extremely unpopular by the end, especially after the impeachment. They ended up taking the fall for all the corruption that happened in the last 16 years, part of it because they were framed and smeared, part of it because everyone else managed to hide their asses and last because they actually did their fair share of corruption schemes.

They're left wing and the right wing kept on getting pissed off, bolder and more fascist and that's where we are now, much like the US.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, it's a massive "they won't eat MY face" attitude for a large segment of the population.

But the other part is also simple class warfare. I know highly trained economist who worked in the Marina and Amoedo campaigns. People who understand full well the threat to democracy that Bolsonaro represents. But the thing about Brazilian class relations is that they are not so abstract thing in people's minds. It's up close and personal. Most upper class people have maids, doormans, cooks, drivers, etc. The easiest way to break the ice with an upper middle class person is to complain about your maid. How you had to lock down the TV in your house because otherwise the maid would only watch novelas, or how you had to spend so much time teaching her to use the new washing machine. For that contingent, it's pure class warfare. They don't want the maid salary going up, the expansion of their labor rights, etc. I've heard more than once how PT has made Brazilians lazy because 10 year ago you could hire anyone you wanted for 300 reais, but now all the lazy bums would rather mooch off of mah money than work!

Edit:

It's important to remember that while PT may be unpopular, if Lula had been allowed to run he'd be the favorite (and PT still elected the most people to congress). It has taken a massive, organized effort by the people who orchestrated the impeachment to get to the point where PT is the underdog. Lula was arrested in record time, he is currently the only person in jail who is prohibited from talking to the press (and the press is prohibited from printing anything he says), and Moro is releasing depositions by car wash suspects that were rejected by the prosecution for being too flimsy, during the week of the election.

joepinetree has issued a correction as of 04:01 on Oct 10, 2018

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

imperialism has a hell of a legacy

which side of imperialism is brazil?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Bip Roberts posted:

which side of imperialism is brazil?

Settler colonialism.

Anyway, left-liberal and Social Democratic parties like the PT just end up proving over and over again that there's no reformist path out of capitalist deprivation. If you're not willing to fight bourgeois class power in real and meaningful ways they'll reassert their dominance inevitably.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My hope is that just like PSL and NOVO overtook PSDB as the new right, some other parties will finally overtake our current left and get rid of all the baggage of PT's legacy. And then they do the same things as PT but in a lot less apologetically and less centrist fashion

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

The king was going to take away slavery so the slavers had a revolution and talked about how much they loved democracy.

Now, nobody was fooled, but free labor!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brazil is literally if the CSA won pretty much

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

nerdz posted:

It's a mix of depressed turnout (the lowest in 20 years), a strong rejection of the party that was in power for the last 16 years and a full-on crisis in all sectors

but yeah, sadly the biggest reason is that people actually want fascism.

I also see a severe lack of class consciousness at play right now. Two more anecdotes:

- My wife's cousin has gone all in on bolsonaro, especially for his plans on security issues (basically give a license to kill to cops). Plot twist: he's an ex-con.

- I overheard the mailman talking about how happy he is that bolsonaro is getting elected. In Brazil the first thing that comes to mind when you think "poo poo that will get immediately privatized" is the postal service. Not only that, the proposed worker rights changes are hilariously bad (did anyone read about the "carteira de trabalho verde a amarela?")

I keep wondering what happens when you combine bolsonaros plans for giving everyone a gun and then disappointing all the working class fools voting for him by loving up worker's rights and privatising everything

ACCELERATIONISM!

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
is portugese just spanish with ~alho added to the end of every word

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

EdithUpwards posted:

The king was going to take away slavery so the slavers had a revolution and talked about how much they loved democracy.

Now, nobody was fooled, but free labor!

Is this really what happened?

I know NOTHING about Brazil's history.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The SituAsian posted:

I thought it was because Neymar is a diving oval office

On a serious note it is really sad to see a lot of countries without strong institutions slide to authoritarianism so soon after achieving actual reform. Hopefully Bolsonaro, Duterte, Orban and their ilk are just a speed bump in history but it's hard to be so optimistic these days

liberalism has always been susceptible to the rise of dictatorship to protect property holders. The only way forward is workers republics where the property holders are subject to liquidation. Really the only way forward for Brazil is a Mao. Brazil can only survive the twenty first century with someone willing to exterminate both the upperclass while effectively engaging in a campaign of debouguization of the middle.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 08:20 on Oct 10, 2018

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is this really what happened?

I know NOTHING about Brazil's history.

From what i've read, slavery was becoming unprofitable, mainly because the slavers had to pay taxes (slaves were assets) and upkeep for every slave, including children, seniors, the sick, etc. Immigrant labor in the southwest was already more efficient and productive, but in the northeast slavery was still the main labor force. Some of the early abolitionist laws were actually a way for slave owners to be allowed to dump unproductive slaves without any consequence.

When full abolition finally passed into law, the slavers complained that they should have received compensation for the loss of their assets, and that's why we are a republic.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://twitter.com/BlogdoNoblat/status/1049840531268935680

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

5hey also kept slaves past the point of legally owning them because why would boug care about law.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I had this theory that Bolsonaro is trying to create a fox news equivalent out of Record and it's getting less far fetched by the day. I imagine next year whatever news record has will surpass Jornal Nacional in relevance. Globo will probably get the CNN treatment.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

why would you need to create Brazilian Fox News when every news network is right wing anyway?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

cargo cult posted:

is portugese just spanish with ~alho added to the end of every word

it's French but read in a fashion similar to English

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

nerdz posted:

The biggest reason is self-explanatory: They've been in power for a super long time, and while they had a pretty strong start, they started getting extremely unpopular by the end, especially after the impeachment. They ended up taking the fall for all the corruption that happened in the last 16 years, part of it because they were framed and smeared, part of it because everyone else managed to hide their asses and last because they actually did their fair share of corruption schemes.

They're left wing and the right wing kept on getting pissed off, bolder and more fascist and that's where we are now, much like the US.

PT was in power for 12 and a half years, not 16. The coup pretty much locked them out, remember that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What was the coup about?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

PT was in power for 12 and a half years, not 16. The coup pretty much locked them out, remember that.

I didn't say that they were in power for 16 years, but that they took the fall for the last 16 years, even the last 3 years where they were basically kicked out

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

punk rebel ecks posted:

What was the coup about?

losing 4 elections in a row.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the only acceptable way to die under the tide of creeping fascism is to go out swinging when they come for you. it's not accurate most of the time to say "suicide is the coward's way out," but in this case, it definitely is

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1050147756675870721

RIP brazil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also Bozo is running away from debates with the excuse of medical leave, despite going on the telly and rallies. Unfortunately he knows he's his own worst enemy.