Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pleiades posted:

Actually, IIRC, the vast majority of the Ordeal is damned, even those who chose not to participate. And I suspect that some of them were damned long before the Gay Cannibal Holocaust because it's all too easy to be damned on that world. Even Serwe is said to be there.

But wasnt that the whole point of GCH? To get the Ordeal to engage in something so evil and depraved that none of them, neither the nobles nor the rank and file, were under any illusion that they were anything but damned. No prior deeds, no prior bravery, no innate birthright, could represent salvation. GCH was necessary in order for all of them to appreciate that the only thing that could possibly save their souls henceforth was to conquer Golgotteroth, so that theyd die to the last man in the attempt rather than quail in the face of the enemy and retreat or surrender.

I mean, Im not gonna defend the drawn-out verbosity of the whole thing but it wasnt just random walking-corpse rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Phanatic posted:

But wasn’t that the whole point of GCH? To get the Ordeal to engage in something so evil and depraved that none of them, neither the nobles nor the rank and file, were under any illusion that they were anything but damned. No prior deeds, no prior bravery, no innate birthright, could represent salvation. GCH was necessary in order for all of them to appreciate that the only thing that could possibly save their souls henceforth was to conquer Golgotteroth, so that they’d die to the last man in the attempt rather than quail in the face of the enemy and retreat or surrender.

I mean, I’m not gonna defend the drawn-out verbosity of the whole thing but it wasn’t just random walking-corpse rape.

I always thought that the point of GCH was to show the desperation of the men involved. They were addicted to scranc meat and were starving/driven insane. I also think that the point is that the Gods only save who they like because a few of them were declared "holy" even if they DID participate in GCH or commit other atrocities.

But, yea, it would make sense to ensure that they would conquer Golgotterath if they thought it would save them. Too bad Proyas was never given that chance. Still bitter...

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Phanatic posted:

But wasnt that the whole point of GCH? To get the Ordeal to engage in something so evil and depraved that none of them, neither the nobles nor the rank and file, were under any illusion that they were anything but damned. No prior deeds, no prior bravery, no innate birthright, could represent salvation. GCH was necessary in order for all of them to appreciate that the only thing that could possibly save their souls henceforth was to conquer Golgotteroth, so that theyd die to the last man in the attempt rather than quail in the face of the enemy and retreat or surrender.

I mean, Im not gonna defend the drawn-out verbosity of the whole thing but it wasnt just random walking-corpse rape.

Ehh, I don't feel it. It's not like the Ordeal was anything less than fanatical and devoted from the word Go. even the rivalry between Proyas and saubon was pretty much kept at the academic level. If there had been division or strife at any point, I could see something like that being necessary to forge them back together, but Kellhus was pretty much always in control and the only person who he couldn't mind-charm basically died randomly after achieving nothing after 3 books of buildup, so...no.

At least the John Ringo books are honest about being edgelord fare.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
pon is better when it stands alone

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Invalid Validation posted:

Im about 3/4 through the first book and Im having trouble keeping track of anything other than Archamian. Probably has something to do with how I read books. Can someone gimme some cliff notes on what is going on?

These are the major characters:

Achamian: secret mage, spy. he must follow the holy war. along the way he discovers Kellhus which upends his faith.
Cnaiur: wants to kill kellhus father. Joins the holy war because he supports Kellhus.
Kellhus: summoned by his father. must control the holywar to achieve this.

The holy war is the main background feature. It parallels the actual Crusades at some level. For example, the "Childrens Crusade" which really happened is mirrored in an event called the "Vulgar Crusade" in the books. Everyone is trying to control the holy war for their own purposes.

Hope that helps a bit.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pleiades posted:

"he's unwilling to actually deal with the consequences of them."

Unless, of course, it's Proyas. He didn't seem to have a problem with making HIM pay. :salt: :argh:

Beyond that, you're right. I don't recall anyone else facing the consequences. Not even radiation sickness as they were eating radioactive people.

I figured it was ok to take some liberties with radiation sickness. But everyone else does face consequences - They get this hosed up madness, which has them fighting and kiling eachother. They are mentally damaged once the effect wears off. It is only Kellhus that is able to refocus them out of their disgust and self loathing - by offering them the false hope of salvation. Also they are loving damned. For what that is worth.

Phanatic posted:

I saw it more that the eating sranc ( and later humans ) was just the only way to feed that massive army. Everything else , like sacrificing proyas, was just a side effect of that. I think the "you are damned unless you win" thing was certainly a +1 to morale, but mostly I saw it as necessary to keep them functioning. Not something that you would plan for the whole time ( but who knows - dunyain, blah blah blah )

genericnick posted:

The idea that he split the book so he could put more of that in there is mind-boggling.

His new publisher split the last book, I assume to make more money out of them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

kcroy posted:

The holy war is the main background feature. It parallels the actual Crusades at some level. For example, the "Childrens Crusade" which really happened is mirrored in an event called the "Vulgar Crusade" in the books. Everyone is trying to control the holy war for their own purposes.

Close, you're thinking of the People's Crusade, which immediately preceded the First Crusade. The Children's Crusade was over 100 years later but also got owned really hard.

The plot and progression of the Holy War parallels the First Crusade extremely closely, even down to like, the geography of the battles and cities as Bakker describes them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Even to the point of calling it the First Holy War in text despite the fact that there does not, in the event, turn out to be a second or third

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Isn't the fight against Golgotterath the second holy war?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

vortmax posted:

Isn't the fight against Golgotterath the second holy war?

You could make a case for it though I dont think the term is ever used (as opposed to the Ordeal), but even then Achamians book calls it the First Holy War before the Ordeal ever begins.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

:goonsay: furthermore, the term holy war (uncapitalized) is also applied to the first Ordeal against Golgotterath in Far Antiquity, so if anything it should be the Second Holy War :goonsay:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Kellhus's invasions of all the other kingdoms might count as Holy Wars too

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Kellhus, post-thousandfold thought: We're going to Nilnamesh, and Conriya, and Zeu-uum YAH

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Kellhus, post-thousandfold thought: We're going to Nilnamesh, and Conriya, and Zeu-uum YAH

And then we're going back to Golgotterath to take back our souls!

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Anyone have a Heron Spear handy?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Clearly this is just like these incredibly bad novels

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

various cheeses posted:

Anyone have a Heron Spear handy?

i have no idea why i didn't jump to this conclusion

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

----error-deleted-----

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

just finished the series and started to read this thread, and this post made me laugh out loud:

Kemper Boyd posted:

I always thought of Akka as Slavoj Zizek.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

just finished the series and started to read this thread, and this post made me laugh out loud:

He doesn't lick his lips anywhere near enough.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

which of the characters are now some sort of gods? and when did that happen?

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Kellhus? He's probably always been one because of all the temporal shenanigans that goes on in these books.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Cnaiur is also being possessed or turning into a deity avatar at the very end. It's kinda dumb.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

which of the characters are now some sort of gods? and when did that happen?

Kelhus apparently made a deal with Ajokli during his journey to the Outside. The glossary describes a scene where he's found swapping his own head with the Decapitants and back again, so maybe he could have survived the salting (why is this not in the text Bakker?).

Also apparently he was getting more and more possessed by Ajokli as he approached Golgotterath (why is this not in the text Bakker?) and becoming increasingly more insane the closer they got (why is this not in the text Bakker?) even though he gives every appearance of becoming more sane.

Cnaiur just starts getting possessed by Ajokli as the whirlwind rips him apart - so either Ajokli is now free to roam the World (why is this not in the text Bakker?) or Cnaiur is just badass enough to summon gods into himself (why is th....okay I'll accept that Cnaiur is that badass)

It's an apocalyptic failure of storytelling on pretty much every level.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Kelhus apparently made a deal with Ajokli during his journey to the Outside. The glossary describes a scene where he's found swapping his own head with the Decapitants and back again, so maybe he could have survived the salting (why is this not in the text Bakker?).

Also apparently he was getting more and more possessed by Ajokli as he approached Golgotterath (why is this not in the text Bakker?) and becoming increasingly more insane the closer they got (why is this not in the text Bakker?) even though he gives every appearance of becoming more sane.

Cnaiur just starts getting possessed by Ajokli as the whirlwind rips him apart - so either Ajokli is now free to roam the World (why is this not in the text Bakker?) or Cnaiur is just badass enough to summon gods into himself (why is th....okay I'll accept that Cnaiur is that badass)

It's an apocalyptic failure of storytelling on pretty much every level.

wtf

when i googled about the series i found about the god thing, and i thought that i had missed a book or something

but looks like that i had missed that poo poo because i had listened the audiobooks and hadn't read the glossary

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

wtf

when i googled about the series i found about the god thing, and i thought that i had missed a book or something

but looks like that i had missed that poo poo because i had listened the audiobooks and hadn't read the glossary

Given the huge gap between White-Luck Warrior and Great Ordeal, and then the speed with which Unholy Consult followed I get the feeling his publisher no longer gave a poo poo, and then hastily rushed publication to fulfil whatever contract they had with him. They certainly feel less tightly edited than PoN.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Given the huge gap between White-Luck Warrior and Great Ordeal, and then the speed with which Unholy Consult followed I get the feeling his publisher no longer gave a poo poo, and then hastily rushed publication to fulfil whatever contract they had with him. They certainly feel less tightly edited than PoN.

Great ordeal and Unholy Consult were basically the same book, but split in half for publication reasons.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Also with a poo poo load of things happening that could have been awesome twists if there had actually been any real foreshadowing. So instead it ended with a lot of 'What the gently caress? Why is this happening? When did that happen? Who the gently caress is this?' I really like Bakker's overall world and his approach to fantasy but god in heaven it comes across pretty clearly that he did not have a loving clue about how he was going to get to where he ended up and I think that his idea of how the world works is kind of there but not really worked out. Also he needs to write a lot more and get a much better editor.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Even putting the plot stuff aside, the last two books have a ton of typos. I think there's a thread on the second-apocalypse.com forums where Bakker says he recalls sending corrections on some of them to the publisher but they never got fixed, or something like that. So yeah I think the publisher really phoned it in at the end.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I mean they kept TGO in a drawer for like five years until people started asking WTF and prompted them to poo poo the remainder out the door.

Granted we'd be better off if they'd refused to publish this trash and forced him to self-publish the remaining two titles. Safe to say Bakker has probably burned any ability to get further works printed, there won't be a third trilogy.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

One good thing about the last book was that the series finally got a female protagonist that wasn't a whore.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Rime posted:

I mean they kept TGO in a drawer for like five years until people started asking WTF and prompted them to poo poo the remainder out the door.

Granted we'd be better off if they'd refused to publish this trash and forced him to self-publish the remaining two titles. Safe to say Bakker has probably burned any ability to get further works printed, there won't be a third trilogy.

At least it ended on a high note.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mukulu posted:

At least it ended on a high note.

Nah, it ended in a cliffhanger. I wish that Bakker had had balls to end it properly.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

One good thing about the last book was that the series finally got a female protagonist that wasn't a whore.

Cunny Dragon begs to differ.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

Nah, it ended in a cliffhanger. I wish that Bakker had had balls to end it properly.

I say I say that was a joke sir.

edit: That being said, I think it ended in a cool way and I don't care if we get more of Bakker's Earwa or not.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mukulu posted:

I say I say that was a joke sir.

edit: That being said, I think it ended in a cool way and I don't care if we get more of Bakker's Earwa or not.

The concept for the ending (bad guys win, sometimes poo poo doesnt work out) is good, the execution (most plot threads either dont resolve at all or resolve in a really unsatisfactory way) is lame and lazy storytelling.

The first trilogy is still rad though and I would still recommend it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bold Robot posted:

The concept for the ending (bad guys win, sometimes poo poo doesn�t work out) is good, the execution (most plot threads either don�t resolve at all or resolve in a really unsatisfactory way) is lame and lazy storytelling.

You only seem to be able to comprehend them through plot content rather than prose, which is what matters in prose literature, so I doubt your praise is trustworthy.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The ending was drenched in black seed.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

its a bit antiquated to get all steamed up about plot in novels isn't it? its not the 19th century anymore grandpa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

The concept for the ending (bad guys win, sometimes poo poo doesnt work out) is good, the execution (most plot threads either dont resolve at all or resolve in a really unsatisfactory way) is lame and lazy storytelling.

Yeah, if there'd been some kind of actual resolution or closure it could have been a pretty ballsy ending, but it leaves pretty much everything unanswered and having it be because the smartest man in the world made a mistake is just boring.