Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least momodi doesnt want you calling her mommy.

lookin at you mioune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Tashilicious posted:

At least momodi doesnt want you calling her mommy.

lookin at you mioune

Don't gridania shame me

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I haven't gotten far enough to see what all the Gaius hubbub is about yet but I just gotta say... what's the deal with Raubahn's voice actor? I have to shake my head at the faux Britishness of the Scions, and Merlvyb sounds like Helen Mirren GM'ing a dungeon crawl, but Raubahn is just so over the top that any voiced CS with him in it just makes me giggle a bit. I almost feel like I'm watching the Dungeons and Dragons movie, only Jeremy Irons is one of the good guys. Is there anyone else later in the game that chews the scenery as hard as Raubahn does?

That's because Merlwyb's ARR VA is Actually English. However, SE moved all principal voice work to London, so ALL the VA changes to new sound-alikes at the end of ARR.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

as i'm approaching DRK 70 (should hit 68 tonight), i'm wondering what the priority list is on blackblood abilities

i'm guessing in a perfect world it should always be bloodspiller for single target and quietus for aoe, but if i'm super hurting for MP is it fine to blow it on delirium? should i always hold delirium for blood weapon/price if they're on cooldown?

is there a max on how much time delirium can extend the buff times for? like if i pop blood price and immediately use delirium will it extend to 30s or does it cap out somewhere?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Hello yes is this where I post my erotic FFXIV fanfiction "Gaius Pounds Suit Ofkhardz in the Butt for Playing Overwatch with a Player Named Daddy?"

:chloe:

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
If you got blood weapon up, delirium is better than bloodspiller, and no, there is no cap (beyond the fact that deliriums cd is longer than the maximum possible duration of blood weapon/price)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Generally you want to use Delirium on cooldown whenever a Blood X buff is active as extending it gets you more MP to fuel DAs and makes the next 50 blood accumulation a lot faster.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Delirium is for extending Blood Weapon, with the mana restore on it being a happy little bonus. Maybe you could use one raw if you're completely out of MP and desperately need enough juice for a life-saving TBN, but the extra time on BW is the main draw of the skill.

Extending Blood Price is iffy. You should really only be in Grit (and thus able to use BP) on trash pulls, and in that situation Quietus will restore more MP and deal a bunch of damage to everything. Plus, BP lasts a long rear end time on its own, so I'd just leave it alone.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

If you got blood weapon up, delirium is better than bloodspiller, and no, there is no cap (beyond the fact that deliriums cd is longer than the maximum possible duration of blood weapon/price)

CYBEReris posted:

Generally you want to use Delirium on cooldown whenever a Blood X buff is active as extending it gets you more MP to fuel DAs and makes the next 50 blood accumulation a lot faster.

:tipshat:

thanks friendos

edit: this one too

Rainuwastaken posted:

Delirium is for extending Blood Weapon, with the mana restore on it being a happy little bonus. Maybe you could use one raw if you're completely out of MP and desperately need enough juice for a life-saving TBN, but the extra time on BW is the main draw of the skill.

Extending Blood Price is iffy. You should really only be in Grit (and thus able to use BP) on trash pulls, and in that situation Quietus will restore more MP and deal a bunch of damage to everything. Plus, BP lasts a long rear end time on its own, so I'd just leave it alone.

that said yeah the ideal is definitely to stay out of tank stance as much as possible but...... i'm still not even caught up on the entirety of the MSQ yet, haha. a lot of dungeons i've only seen once and i frequently queue alone. i definitely sit in tank stance more than i probably should in general just out of fear of dropping aggro or doing my best to not die.

good note on not bothering to extend price though

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 10, 2018

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I think for basically every tank class you can go into a boss in tank spec, do like 1-2 threat combos, drop tank stance and never lose aggro.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I finished the Stormblood DRK questline.

Myste is a good boy. He dindu nuffin. :colbert:

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

queeb posted:

I think for basically every tank class you can go into a boss in tank spec, do like 1-2 threat combos, drop tank stance and never lose aggro.

Yup. The only time you might have trouble is if one of the DPS massively outgears you and at the same time is too dumb to use their enmity dumps, and in that case you can just do a few more threat combos. Even in DPS stance the enmity multiplier on those is pretty big.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Give Holy Spirit and Total Eclipse increased enmity.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I still miss OG Ilberd's VA. Really chewed the scenery at the climax of 2.x. For HW the new VA for him was just incredibly Scottish and while it wasn't bad it wasn't the same. Sharped up for the end of 3.x though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

queeb posted:

i don't mind a slower fight and i feel more confident when i know it's easier for a healer i don't know to keep me alive :shobon:

i do need to be better about it though

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if you're pre-70 DRK don't feel bad about staying in Grit in anything where you're expected to MT, DRK feels kinda scary to play before you get The Blackest Night and can eat a bunch of damage nearly on demand.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Argas posted:

I still miss OG Ilberd's VA. Really chewed the scenery at the climax of 2.x. For HW the new VA for him was just incredibly Scottish and while it wasn't bad it wasn't the same. Sharped up for the end of 3.x though.

OG was Richard Epcar. Which was surprising, because I'm used to Epcar using that Gaius voice for most of his roles.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

eh, in general it's something i should be less afraid of. the only class i have at 70 is WAR so like... i'm tanking everything already. and in most old content yeah i'll switch to deliverance as soon as possible, or at least weave between the two to drop fat fell cleaves where i can. but yea most trials or current content i'll spend more time in tank stance than dps just due to wanting to make sure there's no major issues concerning everyones survivability

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is something I was actually wondering. Especially since the Lupin/Lupan/Whatever were fighting (against their will) on the Garlean side despite being a Beast Tribe.

The Conscripts weren't just scooped up out of primitive hovels. Just because they're Beastmen doesn't mean they're shunned. And in fact that's why they're treated differently in Garlemalds mind. They have no beef with the other races in their homelands, so they're not going to turn to summoning even if the Ascians tried to influence them. Doma didn't treat them as trade partners and then stab them in the backs like what Ul'dah did. They are Doman.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, I know. The Ananta seem to more or less be Ala Mhigan citizens in Rhalgr's Reach as well. Same with the Namazu in Kugane.

It's just interesting seeing the Garleans using Beast Tribe guys on their side is all.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

i don't mind a slower fight and i feel more confident when i know it's easier for a healer i don't know to keep me alive :shobon:

i do need to be better about it though

In practice it's not really any easier to keep you alive in tank stance than out of it. Damage dealt is very spiky so you generally have to heal just as often either in or out of tank stance.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, I know. The Ananta seem to more or less be Ala Mhigan citizens in Rhalgr's Reach as well. Same with the Namazu in Kugane.

It's just interesting seeing the Garleans using Beast Tribe guys on their side is all.

I guess it would be kind of striking if Garlemald has beast tribes but they're on good terms with the empire since they didn't have a history of conflict like the Eorzean beast tribes.

Like you walk into a village of bunny people and ask for their help to overthrow the Garleans and they just tell you to gently caress off and/or call the guards on you

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

With the Ananta, it's more that they were also fed up with being subjugated by Garlemald, so joined the Resistance. They're very much now considered permanent allies among Gyr Abanias political sphere due to Lyse extending that hand.

Namazu though, just look at them, who cares!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Yes, yes, I would help you fight, but my fins hurt.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

In practice it's not really any easier to keep you alive in tank stance than out of it. Damage dealt is very spiky so you generally have to heal just as often either in or out of tank stance.

this makes sense but not something i had thought about because i don't play healers.

thanks!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Another thing to think of is that by dealing more damage out of tank stance, you're ending the fight faster, thus decreasing the overall amount of healing required.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I believe the Garlean definition for beast tribe is any group of non-humans that summon a primal and thus has to be eliminated to protection everyone from being tempered.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Saint Freak posted:

Yes, yes, I would help you fight, but I just threw all of the confetti you made me on the ground.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The chicken tenders
Are ready to fry
(Unintelligible noises)
Away with the tide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYSe1RIfLb8

untuned
Mar 30, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I finished the Stormblood DRK questline.

Myste is a good boy. He dindu nuffin. :colbert:

Myste is Haurchefant+Ysayle, how could he not be a good boy?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:lol:

Something's been bugging me about this song. When the bridge drops (around 1:48 in this video), it's reminiscent of another theme from FFXIV, but I don't know what. Am I totally wrong here?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
It's a remix of the Azys Lla theme, which is itself a remix of Calamity Unbound, the Coils of Bahamut boss theme.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Kaubocks posted:

that said yeah the ideal is definitely to stay out of tank stance as much as possible but...... i'm still not even caught up on the entirety of the MSQ yet, haha. a lot of dungeons i've only seen once and i frequently queue alone. i definitely sit in tank stance more than i probably should in general just out of fear of dropping aggro or doing my best to not die.

DRK is the best tank for getting new players confident in dropping tank stance. Open with DA Plunge and DA Power Slash and you'll have enough enmity to comfortably drop Grit even if there's a SAM and a MNK fighting over DPS :argh:. Then you can pop Blood Weapon and never go back into Grit

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rainuwastaken posted:

It's a remix of the Azys Lla theme, which is itself a remix of Calamity Unbound, the Coils of Bahamut boss theme.

I've never heard that in Calamity Unbound, but it's also part of Heroes Never Die (Thordan) and Scale and Steel (Shinryu)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

pupuru posted:

DRK is the best tank for getting new players confident in dropping tank stance. Open with DA Plunge and DA Power Slash and you'll have enough enmity to comfortably drop Grit even if there's a SAM and a MNK fighting over DPS :argh:. Then you can pop Blood Weapon and never go back into Grit

I got acclimated to it on WAR because if you're not tempted to at least swap for a couple of buzzsaws what are you doing playing WAR?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Soken is a big fan of leitmotifs, especially in Stormblood.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WrightOfWay posted:

I mean, the entirety of FinalFantasy music has always been heavy on leitmotifs from the very beginning. It's not new, and just adds to the sense of continuation and unity that the series can have.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't generally have a problem with leitmotifs in a soundtrack, but when a huge chunk of SB's music is "literally the Kugane and Reach themes again" it gets kind of grating.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Thundarr posted:

I don't generally have a problem with leitmotifs in a soundtrack, but when a huge chunk of SB's music is "literally the Kugane and Reach themes again" it gets kind of grating.

That was also HW though.

And ARR to a lesser extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I never felt overwhelmed by the exact theme presented in the same way in ARR and HW the way I do in SB.

I mean yeah a lot of older themes get reused, but usually they're subtle enough that I don't notice them instantly. Or remixed in cool ways, like the Azys Lla theme. When the Kugane theme plays it is almost always pretty much the same as it always is. Or just way more frequent, since it is part of every single boss fight.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 11, 2018