Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

drrockso20 posted:

It's still a good episode(I'm of the opinion that Season 1 doesn't have any bad episodes if we don't count the pilot), just probably the roughest one overall, the whole Orange County Liberation Front plot was just not that good and drags down the rest of the episode because of it(but I'm probably especially hard on that subplot because I lived in Orange County for most of my life, and it just felt really half-assed and an incredibly shallow exploration of the very complicated relationship people there have with Disney and Disneyland)

I lived in OC most of my life and that poo poo is hilarious

I have no clue wtf you are on about, OC is fully of yuppie rear end NIMBYs who are exactly like that but also with more creepy evangelism usually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

drrockso20 posted:

And continuing the rewatch, I'm now onto Eeny, Meeny, Miney... Magic, the episode that introduces us to Doctor Orpheus, and is in my opinion the point where the show really starts hitting it's stride, and is overall a really good episode outside of some awkward bits with Dean*, and while funny the whole "heart of a forsaken child" bit really feels out of place with how Rusty's character is later developed, my personal guess has always been that Rusty didn't intend to use such a thing originally, but when circumstances led to him having one on hand he couldn't see a reason not to use it in a sort of Super Science version of "want not, waste not"

Also the OPEN!!!!! bit is still in my opinion one of the funniest things the show has ever done

*which is a shame cause I'm probably one of the few people who wholeheartedly liked the whole Dean/Triana arc until they ended it in a way I'm still kinda unhappy about(and is one of several reasons I still am not a big fan of Operation Prom)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Woof, gotta say I can't look back too fondly on that art and animation. Unlike the simpsons that got worse over time, VB looks soooo good now. Still, it has tons of character. I want at least one pure triad episode next season

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
In the art book Jackson mentions that evidently there were two teams at eMation on season 1 and one was not as good as the other, and since production order alternated between Jackson's eps and Doc's eps that season, Doc was consistently getting the weaker of the two teams.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

*which is a shame cause I'm probably one of the few people who wholeheartedly liked the whole Dean/Triana arc until they ended it in a way I'm still kinda unhappy about(and is one of several reasons I still am not a big fan of Operation Prom)
I think I was happier when they ended it the first time : Dean managed to let go and actually talked with a teenager who didn't live on the compound, Triana moved on with her life away from her dad, etc. Then Dean makes up a story about that teenager he talked with as an excuse to invite Triana to the prom, goes back to his old obsession and it all ends horribly.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Woof, gotta say I can't look back too fondly on that art and animation. Unlike the simpsons that got worse over time, VB looks soooo good now. Still, it has tons of character. I want at least one pure triad episode next season
I think Jackson said something similar about the Christmas special at SDCC this year. I think someone asked if they could do a commentary on it like with every other episode and Publick said that it was really hard for him to look at those old episodes now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

X_Toad posted:

I think I was happier when they ended it the first time : Dean managed to let go and actually talked with a teenager who didn't live on the compound, Triana moved on with her life away from her dad, etc. Then Dean makes up a story about that teenager he talked with as an excuse to invite Triana to the prom, goes back to his old obsession and it all ends horribly.

Exactly what I mean, first time was fine, especially as it was open ended enough to potentially bring it back, Prom then took a big poo poo on it

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
You know, I think my favorite Triana moment in the whole series is when she went "BOO!" on Dean in season 3. That was the only time they felt like friends. I could have used more of those.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Eh, complaining about Animation on Adult Swim stuff never seems like a good idea because how long did Sealab and Aqua Teen go and they're as basic as possible.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Eh, complaining about Animation on Adult Swim stuff never seems like a good idea because how long did Sealab and Aqua Teen go and they're as basic as possible.

animation is never a factor to AS they seem to be the most willing to experiment.

Home Movies?
8 oz Mouse?
That first tim and eric show with all the b/w photos for characters?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wasn't sealab just reused footage half the time?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

yuuuuuuuuup

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Almost all of early Adult Swim was. With Space Ghost they just had all this footage that Turner owned but gave no fucks about and the people that would go onto form William Street just asked if they could make something with it and Turner Broadcasting continued to not care and let them

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

I actually think the pilot holds up pretty well writing-wise outside of the cringey Japanese technophile dude.

Robot bones! will never not be funny.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also I hope ya'll like the thread title because it'll probably be there awhile :v:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AkumaHokoru posted:

animation is never a factor to AS they seem to be the most willing to experiment.

Home Movies?
8 oz Mouse?
That first tim and eric show with all the b/w photos for characters?

Tom Goes to Mayor. I did not like that show, it just repulsive.

But there was also Xavier Renegade Angel.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Doctor Syrup posted:

I actually think the pilot holds up pretty well writing-wise outside of the cringey Japanese technophile dude.

It's by far the most "hey we're subverting Johnny Quest" episode; sure there were others but by that point the characterization had been established and it became more about "let's watch this bunch of psychos, depressives and idiots deal with a Johnny Quest story".

But I honestly like the pilot as a time capsule piece; Hank and Dean playing submarine and space capsule is so pathetically hilarious

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Spam posted:

But I honestly like the pilot as a time capsule piece; Hank and Dean playing submarine and space capsule is so pathetically hilarious

I agree. Taken in the proper perspective, the pilot is very enjoyable. Yes, it's in Flash, but it's actually a step up from some of its contemporaries, whose Flash animation is almost Clutch Cargo lazy when it's not just reused scenes from old shows.

What I like about it, coming back to it now after 15 years and almost 8 seasons, is how you can see that all the pieces to the puzzle that is the Ventureverse are there, in an undeveloped, primordial form. From that starting point, they could have gone in a few lazy or just plain bad directions. But, they didn't, and here we are.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The pilot is straight up better animated than 99% of [adult swim] shows, then and now..

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Doctor Syrup posted:

Robot Bones! is the most :haw: line read ever

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

they have Urbaniak on the commentary and he keeps saying They’re robot bones! a bunch and it owns

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Continuing now with Ghosts of the Sargasso, probably the third best episode of Season 1, basically every moment of it is absolute gold, and it's probably the single most quotable episode of the show, there's a reason it's often the episode of choice for introducing people to the show

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

axelblaze posted:

Also I hope ya'll like the thread title because it'll probably be there awhile :v:

Cyonide? That's cheating!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Continuing now with Ghosts of the Sargasso, probably the third best episode of Season 1, basically every moment of it is absolute gold, and it's probably the single most quotable episode of the show, there's a reason it's often the episode of choice for introducing people to the show

It also introduced me to David Bowie, a debt I'll never be able to pay this show off :,)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Major Tom's screaming skull suddenly landing on Doc and then an immediate cut to credits, classic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

drrockso20 posted:

So many seasons have lovely first seasons because the creators have no idea what kind of show it is. Venture Bros has some real bangers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know how hard it is to get a job with the only thing on your resume being Fake Ghost Pirate?

I love how the Captain says Fake Ghost Pirate

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

drrockso20 posted:

I remember turning the TV on right with the Brock asking for a cigarette scene, while I was in college. I immediately realized I had stumbled on something amazing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The World Inferno posted:

It also introduced me to David Bowie, a debt I'll never be able to pay this show off :,)

Same

TerminalRaptor posted:

I remember turning the TV on right with the Brock asking for a cigarette scene, while I was in college. I immediately realized I had stumbled on something amazing.

Told you what I'd do for one of those

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

drrockso20 posted:

according to the art book Ghosts was originally meant to be an ep written by both Doc and Jackson, but then Doc had to write it solo because Jackson was too busy directing, but then Mike Lazzo rejected the original script so Jackson had to add a bunch of punch up (for example, the entire scene where Brock has one of the pirates reach into his anus), thus essentially turning it into the duo-written ep it was conceived as.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TerminalRaptor posted:

First scene of the show I ever saw was Mars: Bringer of War at the start of Hate Floats and I knew this show was for me straight away.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am trying to figure out if I saw the season 1 finale or the xmas episode first.

THough Venture Bros hit everything with me. It referenced ton of stuff I liked, but at the same time it worked on its own.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

uber_stoat posted:

Major Tom's screaming skull suddenly landing on Doc and then an immediate cut to credits, classic.

His eyes. Crazy eyes. Accusing. Mmmm..... Who are you?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On to Ice Station Impossible, another fun episode, kinda awkward in parts though that brings it's overall rating down a notch or two lower than it should be

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

They really did a shitload of manipulation on it though. It was really impressive how good they already were at making completely new actions out of existing imagery and like, constructing whole new actions direct from what was on the archival tapes of the original show by the latter half of the first season's production.

It was also really neat how good they got at producing whole new stuff that matched up with the archival backgrounds and stuff perfectly when they felt like it.

And then of course that one episode they did that was just revoicing and abridging a real 2020 show completely straight faced was great.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wonder if they were hoping to reuse the footage from old cartoons in Harvey Birdman like they did with Sealab. I think the first couple episodes actually did that, now that I think of it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder if they were hoping to reuse the footage from old cartoons in Harvey Birdman like they did with Sealab. I think the first couple episodes actually did that, now that I think of it.

actually the first season (except for the pilot) was animated in korea (unusual for an adult swim show, as I say in a thread about another rare example of an adult swim show animated in korea)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm pretty sure the reuse of animation in Harvey Birdman was restricted to "flashbacks" of events that led up to whatever wacky case of the day was, and only on a few occasions. So like, 15 second clips with a bit of overdubbing and then you cut back to the currant time and allt he characters have clearly been redrawn cleanly.

It's a whole different level than what they did for Space Ghost or Sealab.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The more Sealab did their own animations and additions, the less funny it got.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I'm super stoked for the new Birdman episode this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
the first episode I saw was Powerless in the Face of Death and I was very confused but also very intrigued