Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I have to get a new phone now because I had to turn my current phone into the job I’m leaving.

Pixel 2 or iPhone 8 for Verizon?

Battery life is priority, I can afford either, single person on an unlimited data plan.

I’d like to wait for the Pixel 3 to arrive so the pixel 2 lowers in price but I have to get a phone now :/

you can't surivive with a 50 dollar phone for 2 weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Veskit posted:

you can't surivive with a 50 dollar phone for 2 weeks?

You are right. I can.

It’s just inconvenient because I’m moving and also buying a computer. So email access would be tricky.

It will be worth it to save the money though.

Any recommendations for a cheap phone in the meanwhile?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

You are right. I can.

It’s just inconvenient because I’m moving and also buying a computer. So email access would be tricky.

It will be worth it to save the money though.

Any recommendations for a cheap phone in the meanwhile?

Galaxy S5 or up, iPhone 6 or up (or SE). Don’t buy phones prior to those like the iPhone 5, they can’t be activated anymore.

You could probably find a cheap Motorola G4 or G5 online somewhere.

Or big via a place with a long return policy. Do you have Costco? They have a 90 price match policy (and I think return policy?) so that could be your best bet. Costco is worth it in general.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I do have Costco! That’s a great idea. Tbh I was kind of thinking of just getting a new line from one of those pre paid phones and setting up call forwarding for a couple weeks.

How long will it take for the pixel 2 price to drop after the 3 comes out? And it should be like a hundred bucks cheaper right? Or the Iphone 8+ to drop now that the XS and Xother have come out?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 24, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I do have Costco! That’s a great idea. Tbh I was kind of thinking of just getting a new line from one of those pre paid phones and setting up call forwarding for a couple weeks.

How long will it take for the pixel 2 price to drop after the 3 comes out? And it should be like a hundred bucks cheaper right? Or the Iphone 8+ to drop now that the XS and Xother have come out?

No idea. It’ll likely go down, but it could also just go away. The pixel 2 (non XL) has been super scarce inventory wise already for about a month. Last year when the 2 replaced the 1, the 1 disappeared after a month or so. Don’t assume that it’ll work like iPhone launch does.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Country/Provider: US/AT&T

Current contract status: Prepaid

Budget (phone/plan): $150-$200 Phone, $40ish/month

Features I know I want: I don't really know much about phones, but my Moto E4 plus just decided it didn't want to charge anymore, so I have to find something in its place. I'd like something Android based, with a good battery. I can maybe pay more if it's a really good deal, but I don't like to spend much on phone specifically because of things like this, so it'd have to be enticing.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Just in case this still works:

• Country/Provider: Canada/Bell; possibly open to switching

• Current contract status: paying $56/mo, phone long since paid off, unlimited Canada-wide minutes, 1GB data.

• Budget (phone/plan): $60/mo

• Features I know I want: a smartphone that works and will take as many years as possible to stop working. Canada-wide minutes for calling family in Yukon and Nova Scotia.

This is for my partner. She's been with Bell for 15 years. Her iPhone 4 has finally given up the ghost, and she's allowing herself to buy a new phone. She's favouring an Android for this one.

Bell offers a range of phones for "$0", but only offers plans starting at $70/mo, and somewhere closer to $90/mo for the features she currently gets (with a lot more data which she doesn't need). She can probably bargain them down with some kind of loyalty plan.

Koodo (by example) offers plans with similar features to what she's getting (2GB data, unlimited minutes) for $50/month, plus $10-$15 on the "tab" for the phone, which stops after 24 months.

Is it worth sticking with Bell, or moving over? And what are some good, long-lasting, not too expensive android phones right now?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
My Nexus 5X succumbed to the bootloop of death. I really liked the interface and lack of OEM apps compared to the Samsungs I handle at work. Size was about right for me too. I guess basically I'd like the same phone except with less likelihood of hardware failure and more storage. Is that the Pixel 2 or should I look elsewhere?

Willing to drop a few hundred dollars. I'm in the US on T-mobile.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

My Nexus 5X succumbed to the bootloop of death. I really liked the interface and lack of OEM apps compared to the Samsungs I handle at work. Size was about right for me too. I guess basically I'd like the same phone except with less likelihood of hardware failure and more storage. Is that the Pixel 2 or should I look elsewhere?

Willing to drop a few hundred dollars. I'm in the US on T-mobile.

The Pixel 2 is what to get but the Pixel 3 is announced a week from today so if you have a backup or something try to wait until then.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I can limp along on my work phone.

Although I'm curious, will there be any sales or anything for Pixel 2 devices when Pixel 3 comes out? If it was sufficiently less expensive I wouldn't mind being a generation behind.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I can limp along on my work phone.

Although I'm curious, will there be any sales or anything for Pixel 2 devices when Pixel 3 comes out? If it was sufficiently less expensive I wouldn't mind being a generation behind.

We only have last year to go on but in that case the prior generation's Pixel dropped $100.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I guess it looks like the pixel 2 is gonna get discontinued so I'm all in on the pixel 3. I'm thinking about switching to projectFi when I do, are there any major complaints with that service?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I guess it looks like the pixel 2 is gonna get discontinued so I'm all in on the pixel 3. I'm thinking about switching to projectFi when I do, are there any major complaints with that service?

I'm going to buy a pixel 3 and switch to version. It just ends up being cheaper for me honestly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It's overpriced compared to other prepaid plans unless you literally don't use data.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

When I stopped using it, I was spending an inappropriate amount of time babysitting which network I was on. Dunno if the network switching got better.

I also noticed that my data usage dropped by 20-30% after switching, even after I stopped limiting myself due to having a large data bucket. I swear something about Fi was using (or reporting) more data than I think was correct.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hmm ok I'll do some more research, thanks!

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
Is the Nokia 6.1 still the recommended cheap phone? My mother-in-law is joining our Cricket plan and she's upgrading from a flip phone.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ErikTheRed posted:

Is the Nokia 6.1 still the recommended cheap phone? My mother-in-law is joining our Cricket plan and she's upgrading from a flip phone.
I just got one last week. I'm quite happy with it for the price. Only complaint is the camera kind of sucks compared to flagship phones and half of the 32gigs is used by the OS.

I love having a finger print sensor now.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CopperHound posted:

I just got one last week. I'm quite happy with it for the price. Only complaint is the camera kind of sucks compared to flagship phones and half of the 32gigs is used by the OS.

I love having a finger print sensor now.

Have you installed the Google Camera app? It won't get your phone to Pixel level camera-wise but it's a massive improvement over the stock app.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

anakha posted:

Have you installed the Google Camera app? It won't get your phone to Pixel level camera-wise but it's a massive improvement over the stock app.
Looks like that can improve things some but I can't find any setting to save directly to the SD card.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CopperHound posted:

Looks like that can improve things some but I can't find any setting to save directly to the SD card.

Saving photos to the SD card you mean? Maybe the IFTTT app has a transfer files script.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey so I'm being somewhat forced to switch to a T-Mobile plan. Family had all gotten together on a sprint plan a few years ago, but the contract did the whole cheap starter then super expensive up charge after x months in the fine print. So we are switching. Anyway need to find the best phones we can for the plan for around 150-250 if possible. I admit I'm not super knowledgeable about phones so any help would be appreciated.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nokia 6.1 (2018) should be good for you.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My parents live in the middle of nowhere in Northern California, and like to travel around some (Hawaii a lot, Colorado every year, and then random trips otherwise; Texas, Reno/Tahoe, etc.). Verizon has about the best coverage in their home area, AT&T is a non-starter. My mom is already on a Verizon pre-paid plan (using a Moto X4 Prime Edition I got her on Prime Day). My dad is looking to get off his prepaid US Cellular plan for something with better coverage. I'd like to get him a cheapish phone (he's hard on phones). I'm considering a Moto X4 if only because I've also got one, but that would be the top end of the budget ($250). He uses virtually no data, same with my mom, so I was going to put them on a two-line prepaid Verizon plan. Looks like the Nokia 6.1 doesn't work on Verizon; any other phones I should be looking at?

I'm inclined to have them stick with Verizon because they can definitely afford to pay a little more for the better network coverage, and I want their experience to be as problem-free as possible (the less over-the-phone tech support I have to do, the better).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

My parents live in the middle of nowhere in Northern California, and like to travel around some (Hawaii a lot, Colorado every year, and then random trips otherwise; Texas, Reno/Tahoe, etc.). Verizon has about the best coverage in their home area, AT&T is a non-starter. My mom is already on a Verizon pre-paid plan (using a Moto X4 Prime Edition I got her on Prime Day). My dad is looking to get off his prepaid US Cellular plan for something with better coverage. I'd like to get him a cheapish phone (he's hard on phones). I'm considering a Moto X4 if only because I've also got one, but that would be the top end of the budget ($250). He uses virtually no data, same with my mom, so I was going to put them on a two-line prepaid Verizon plan. Looks like the Nokia 6.1 doesn't work on Verizon; any other phones I should be looking at?

I'm inclined to have them stick with Verizon because they can definitely afford to pay a little more for the better network coverage, and I want their experience to be as problem-free as possible (the less over-the-phone tech support I have to do, the better).

Yeah, if she already uses a Moto X4 that makes it even better, should be one of the best options. You’ll get a $10 discount on his service adding it to her account.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I currently have an iPhone 6. It's getting almost unusably slow, so I really need to replace it.

• Country/Provider: US/Verizon

• Current contract status: No contract, on a 8GB/month family plan

• Budget (phone/plan): No specific budget

• Features I know I want: Fast, a not-enormous size, and a good camera.

I don't have any brand loyalty, and the new iPhones are huge, so I was thinking of switching to the Pixel (which is why I waited until this week). Seems like the Pixel 3 is pretty big too. Would it be worthwhile to get a Pixel 2 or iPhone 8? If so, is there any particular reason to choose one over the other? It looks like the iPhone 8 dropped by $100 recently, but I don't see a Pixel 2 price drop yet, not sure if it will happen or just disappear?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The iPhone XS is barely larger than your your iPhone 6, and the Pixel 3 is barely larger than an XS.

That said, an iPhone 8 will be good for awhile, I think.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

The iPhone XS is barely larger than your your iPhone 6, and the Pixel 3 is barely larger than an XS.

That said, an iPhone 8 will be good for awhile, I think.

Huh. Looks like I accidentally compared the screen size instead of physical size. Turns out the lack of bezel makes a big difference. I'll have to look through the new ones again.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I've never bought a phone this way and don't want to shoot myself in the foot. I'm on ATT Pixel 1 and thinking of upgrading to a Note 9. I notice this deal for a Note 9 for $820 which seems great, but I recognize it's the international version of the phone without CDMA support. I have no idea if this is a reasonable way for me to upgrade, but very interested in knocking $180 off the price of the phone.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM-N9600-Midnight-sAMOLED-Unlocked/dp/B07GL6W1NR/

Is this a reasonable upgrade?

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
How big an upgrade will a Huawei P20 (non-pro) be over a Moto G5 plus?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Atoramos posted:

I've never bought a phone this way and don't want to shoot myself in the foot. I'm on ATT Pixel 1 and thinking of upgrading to a Note 9. I notice this deal for a Note 9 for $820 which seems great, but I recognize it's the international version of the phone without CDMA support. I have no idea if this is a reasonable way for me to upgrade, but very interested in knocking $180 off the price of the phone.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM-N9600-Midnight-sAMOLED-Unlocked/dp/B07GL6W1NR/

Is this a reasonable upgrade?

You're going to want to check LTE band support. Most of the time international versions will be missing bands for your preferred carrier in the US meaning they'll work but not necessarily well depending on where you live. Not all LTE bands that a US carrier uses are used everywhere in America so you can't just go by reviews. Some areas use supplemental bands to patch over pieces of spectrum that other carriers have or to make up for overcrowding in densely populated areas so you want all the band support possible.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Hey guys, looking to upgrade my mother's phone from a flip phone to a cheap smartphone. Not wanting to play tech support, I was thinking to get her an iPhone SE or 6S. Will I regret this decision? Should I get a Nokia 6.1 instead? Thanks in advance!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chikimiki posted:

Hey guys, looking to upgrade my mother's phone from a flip phone to a cheap smartphone. Not wanting to play tech support, I was thinking to get her an iPhone SE or 6S. Will I regret this decision? Should I get a Nokia 6.1 instead? Thanks in advance!

If you get her an old iPhone now you'll just need to get her a new one soon. Either way if you think she's going to be needing your assistance to use it a lot I'd get something you know how to help with, assuming you're more familiar with one or the other.

I guess if I was getting someone their first smartphone I'd get them an iPhone just due to reputation, length of support, and the fact that there's got to be someone else nearby who knows how iPhones work if they ever have trouble.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

LastInLine posted:

If you get her an old iPhone now you'll just need to get her a new one soon. Either way if you think she's going to be needing your assistance to use it a lot I'd get something you know how to help with, assuming you're more familiar with one or the other.

I guess if I was getting someone their first smartphone I'd get them an iPhone just due to reputation, length of support, and the fact that there's got to be someone else nearby who knows how iPhones work if they ever have trouble.

FWIW, I'm used to Android but I have an SE from work, and my sister back at home owns an SE as well.
Either way, with the update situation on Android she would also need a replacement soon to be fair, as phones are usually supported for about 2 years. I was mainly gravitating towards iPhones for the reasons you listed (also less chances of effing things up in theory), but looking at prices the older models seemed more attractive (plus the headphone jack, explaining bluetooth to my mom will be long). Thus I was wondering about their viability a few years down the road, performance wise for basic stuff.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chikimiki posted:

FWIW, I'm used to Android but I have an SE from work, and my sister back at home owns an SE as well.
Either way, with the update situation on Android she would also need a replacement soon to be fair, as phones are usually supported for about 2 years. I was mainly gravitating towards iPhones for the reasons you listed (also less chances of effing things up in theory), but looking at prices the older models seemed more attractive (plus the headphone jack, explaining bluetooth to my mom will be long). Thus I was wondering about their viability a few years down the road, performance wise for basic stuff.

I feel like you'd be lucky to get two years out of a 6S or SE at this point but if price is a hurdle or even the headphone jack I can understand. Bluetooth isn't something unfathomable, you turn on the headphones and they work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's *probably* at least two more years of support for 6S and SE, but it's not guaranteed. They're still supporting the 5S, though, so unless they decide to ditch the 5S and 6 at the same time (which is possible given that the 6 wasn't really much more powerful than the 5S), there's likely at least another two years at minimum.

Still, I wouldn't really recommend buying them at this point unless cost is your biggest consideration.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chikimiki posted:

You should be able to find a good deal on an iPhone 7, that’s where I would start. iPhone is still more user friendly, and still more reliable. Plus , she could sign up for an Apple class. No headphone jack, but it’s also water resistant so I think that’s a worthwhile trade off. Adapters are only $10.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Thanks for the input guys! Didn't even think of the adapter, that could be an easy solution. Will have to look if I can't find some deals on a 7. It's really too bad they didn't bother releasing an updated SE but that's the way it is these days!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Chikimiki posted:

I'm not really worried about the iPhone SE or 6s/6s+ getting too slow like the other posters. I'd recommend the iPhone 6s+ or 7+. The iPhone SE, while being maybe Apple's best phone in recent history, has a small screen which is not great for the 'hard of seeing'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

silence_kit posted:

I'm not really worried about the iPhone SE or 6s/6s+ getting too slow like the other posters. I'd recommend the iPhone 6s+ or 7+. The iPhone SE, while being maybe Apple's best phone in recent history, has a small screen which is not great for the 'hard of seeing'.

But smaller sizes are generally better for the "hard of holding" that arthritic hands can become.