Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Any of y'all that find zelda 1 so easy, what about Metroid? Holy hell that game had interesting but horrible level design. I had no idea where I was half the time. Thank God for zero mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Oscar Wild posted:

Any of y'all that find zelda 1 so easy, what about Metroid? Holy hell that game had interesting but horrible level design. I had no idea where I was half the time. Thank God for zero mission.

I've tried many times to get through metroid, loving pretty much everything from super metroid on. But I just cant. Zero Mission might be criticized as too hand holding. But got drat. Metroid is just indistinguishable tubes with some gently caress you secrets to to continue.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oscar Wild posted:

I absolutely beat Metroid using memory and a few hand made maps when it was new and I was young. Metroid is a good game. The only thing I think is genuinely "bad" about it is that there are a few lava pits you can fall into and cant get out of so you just have you wait while your ten E tanks slowly drain in order to get the continue code.

Needing to make maps or remember layouts was probably good for us but I can understand why modern games don't work that way.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i wish splatoon was more fun so i could get invested in outfit collecting

also yeah wtf does that starlink monstrosity actually work. it was not clear that it was so modular

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

I've tried many times to get through metroid, loving pretty much everything from super metroid on. But I just cant. Zero Mission might be criticized as too hand holding. But got drat. Metroid is just indistinguishable tubes with some gently caress you secrets to to continue.

i love how super metroid gives you the scanner visor to help with finding secrets, and then has a handful of invisible blocks the visor doesn't work on anyway lol

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
What are some calm, easy, gentle switch games for idiots? I literally just had brain surgery and am so loving stupid. Was excited about dark souls again before giant tumor, but I'm barely smart enough to turn my switch on right now.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Starlink having no online multiplayer is the dumbest drat thing

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

E-Money posted:

What are some calm, easy, gentle switch games for idiots? I literally just had brain surgery and am so loving stupid. Was excited about dark souls again before giant tumor, but I'm barely smart enough to turn my switch on right now.

Stardew.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

E-Money posted:

I'd recommend Captain Toad and Kirby Star Allies

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

asecondduck posted:

I'm starting to get really sucked in to Monster Hunter Generations U. Prowler mode is awesome, but a quick question... what the gently caress do I do with all these items I'm gathering? My cats can't use them, and while I could sell them for money I have fucktons of money from simply completing quests.

I guess you're supposed to swap back and forth between Hunter and prowler, using the items you gathered as a prowler while playing as a Hunter, but... I really like playing as Bell, my fuzzy pink ball of claws and destruction, and don't really see the point of playing as a human anymore?

You can sit on your mountain of monster bits and twirl your whiskers like a cartoon villain mustache, knowing that you are superior to those lame-o human hunters.

For real though, just hang onto 'em unless you need the cash. If you ever decide to try out human, you'll have a nice pile of monster parts and a ton of cash to get you started! If you don't, well, you'll be one rich cat. Either way, you win?

(I am glad to see so many folks playing Prowler, though. I have played exclusively as the cat in GenU. It owns bones.)

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Huxley posted:

Stardew.

Too hard for me right now! Thanks for the response though.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

E-Money posted:

Good luck with your recovery!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

I love Zero Mission, there's no reason to play the NES one with ZM as a thing. I never thought it was too hand holding though; the most the game does is provide you with a very simplistic direction about where you'll vaguely be going next. I wish all metroidvanias did this, honestly. Don't railroad me like Fusion or show me the entire map like Samus Returns, but a simple little hint like in Zero Mission is nice. Playing something as tiring to navigate as Hollow Knight made me wish there some goddamn system like Zero Mission had, christ just give me a vague pointer so I don't spend half an hour going through an area I can't even move farther within.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah Captain Toad probably very good then. Slow paced, no jumping, one button gameplay. If a level is too hard they will give you an invincible mushroom after you die a few times.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I'd recommend Captain Toad and Kirby Star Allies

seconding these

also i hope you're doing okay dude!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

I love Zero Mission, there's no reason to play the NES one with ZM as a thing. I never thought it was too hand holding though; the most the game does is provide you with a very simplistic direction about where you'll vaguely be going next. I wish all metroidvanias did this, honestly. Don't railroad me like Fusion or show me the entire map like Samus Returns, but a simple little hint like in Zero Mission is nice. Playing something as tiring to navigate as Hollow Knight made me wish there some goddamn system like Zero Mission had, christ just give me a vague pointer so I don't spend half an hour going through an area I can't even move farther within.

What I liked was it said. "Go here" so of course I'm going to go in the opposite direction and look for candy. When I hit a dead end I dont get frustrated/stressed. Or yeah when you get bored go to the dot.

Metroidvanias are fun to explore but theres a stress that comes with it that if it's not balanced right makes it not fun for me. The gold star standard super metroid wins by just having the map, which was cleverly incomplete, by just having unexplored areas were effectively a maker to go there.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

E-Money posted:

What about Minecraft? Turn off the mobs, you can move about the realm in peace, collecting and building whatever you want.

I know it's been out for years now, but I still pop into a goon realm for about 2-3 hours a week just to chill out and build my tiki bar.

Also hope your recovery goes smooth.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Isqj5nh8ag

These Starlink toys look good enough I kind of just want them as toys. Especially that arrowhead shaped ship. Looks like you can do some ridiculous configurations if you want.

https://twitter.com/GeekDadGamer/status/1050335148439425024

The actual pilot figures are some nasty quality that manage to regress from the first wave Skylanders, first wave Smash amiibo and so on. And they're selling those pilots by themselves for $7.99 which coincidentally was the same price the first batches of Skylander figures were way back in 2011.

And even if a fair number of those characters looked grody by design I don't remember the figure quality itself being this bad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beastie posted:

What about Minecraft? Turn off the mobs, you can move about the realm in peace, collecting and building whatever you want.

I know it's been out for years now, but I still pop into a goon realm for about 2-3 hours a week just to chill out and build my tiki bar.

Also hope your recovery goes smooth.

I have been slowly hollowing out the Earth to just build a giant loving pyramid. It's 2x2 on the highest tile you can build, 4 by 4 on the tile below, 6x6 below that, and so on. I've got it all the way down a bit below sea level, one day it will reach bedrock. Oh and it's all smooth stone I meticulously cooked

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Bloop posted:

Just knowing how XP and temple completion works in ZeldaII makes a massive difference in the game.

For those that don't know, ZeldaII has actual XP and level progression and one if the rewards at the end of every temple is giving you however much XP you need to level whether it's 5 or 5000, so you should often grind to a level up just before the boss then gain a whole level worth of XP for clearing the temple. If you don't, you'll probably be underleveled for the end game.

Leaving the 1ups (the weirdest thing about the game) until endgame is also extremely helpful, but obsoleted by save states.

Gonna add to this. Don't actually compete the temples until you're ready to do the final boss run. You can simply jump out after beating the boss without "finishing" and save the XP for when you are max level -- at which point you finish each temple for a 1up instead.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/GeekDadGamer/status/1050335148439425024

The actual pilot figures are some nasty quality that manage to regress from the first wave Skylanders, first wave Smash amiibo and so on. And they're selling those pilots by themselves for $7.99 which coincidentally was the same price the first batches of Skylander figures were way back in 2011.

And even if a fair number of those characters looked grody by design I don't remember the figure quality itself being this bad.

To be fair I think those figures are like, half the size of Skylanders, because they have to fit inside the ships. So, I understand that being that detailed is going to turn out reeeeally grody.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Can't wait to detach Fox's fake feet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chronojam posted:

Gonna add to this. Don't actually compete the temples until you're ready to do the final boss run. You can simply jump out after beating the boss without "finishing" and save the XP for when you are max level -- at which point you finish each temple for a 1up instead.

True, or at least finish it for 10,000XP instead of like 700 since save states are a thing now and 1ups don't really matter any more :hf:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

Can't wait to detach Fox's fake feet.

:thejoke: but in case anyone hasn't seen it yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOPx4s0sxfU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kunio programmer 1: Hey what's the sprite limit on NES games?

Kunio Programmer 2: I don't know, like, 100?

Kunio Programmer 1: Ok yeah good

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Weedle posted:

Here’s the complete Zelda 1 manual if anyone wants it. Really wish the manuals were readable in the game like on 3DS.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/pdf/CLV-P-NAANE.pdf

I completely forgot how much the instruction manual tells you. Much more than many modern games where you have to look this poo poo up online.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I have been slowly hollowing out the Earth to just build a giant loving pyramid. It's 2x2 on the highest tile you can build, 4 by 4 on the tile below, 6x6 below that, and so on. I've got it all the way down a bit below sea level, one day it will reach bedrock. Oh and it's all smooth stone I meticulously cooked

drat, are you going to hollow it out or is it going to stay as the massive solid block?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beastie posted:

drat, are you going to hollow it out or is it going to stay as the massive solid block?

Oh it's built hollow. So the second layer is only 12 pieces instead of 16, the third layer is 20 instead of 36, the fourth is 30 instead of 64, the fifth is 36 instead of 100, and so on.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

E-Money posted:

Mario Kart 8 has a smart steering mode that fixes your steering for you if you go to far out of the way. I think it's intended for kids who are developing motor skills, so it might be something to work into your rehabilitation if your motor functions were affected.

But good luck on the recovery, my mother and best friend had similar surgeries, so I know how hard it can be.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Fremry posted:

Mario Kart 8 has a smart steering mode that fixes your steering for you if you go to far out of the way. I think it's intended for kids who are developing motor skills, so it might be something to work into your rehabilitation if your motor functions were affected.

But good luck on the recovery, my mother and best friend had similar surgeries, so I know how hard it can be.

It keeps you from falling off the track, not running into walls. Its balanced by you not being able to to the highest level boost. Which is tough to get on most maps.

Mode is helpful for beginners to mediumers (?) But expert players are better without it. It's a good mode to turn on for rainbow road tbh.

It does NOT make the game too easy and wont help you place well. Its DOES make my 4 year old finish within 45 seconds of everyone instead off being on lap 1 and making everyone upset (still gets last place)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

E-Money posted:

You are typing fine, maybe we can narrow down what exactly is making it too hard.

Choice Paralysis: You are overcome with choices and cannot decide in the moment
Solution: Spend some time paused and make notes in word

Math is hard: Doing even simple math has become difficult.
Solution: This is going to be tricky if you aren't good with excel: try and make a spreadsheet, this may be difficult, but it may be possible to focus and force yourself to create a sheet that will let you copy numbers from the game that will do the math for you. Maybe someone else can shed light if this is the issue

Reaction Speed: You can't move your fingers when you want to
Solution: Play more turned based things. This is going to be really difficult if you are combining it with math being difficult right now since turn based games tend to be math heavy.

Loosing focus: You are "zoning out" and just stare blankly for a bit
Solution: Turn based is going to be your friend.

I'm sure someone will be able to find you a good game that will work for you if you are willing to share.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Oscar Wild posted:

Metroid is my fav game series but the first one is pretty uh unpolished I'll say

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

E-Money posted:

There’s that new marble blast game that just came out. It looks chill as heck. Called Marble It Up I think

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Ok so where is the missing

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Meallan posted:

Ok so where is the missing

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-missing-j-j-macfield-and-the-island-of-memories-switch ?

If someone does pick it up, let me know how it runs. I have other places I can play the game, but I'd prefer it on Switch if it runs well.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
It's not out in EU I think. At least I can't find it.

Does anyone know if it wasn't a world wide release?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Meallan posted:

It's not out in EU I think. At least I can't find it.

Does anyone know if it wasn't a world wide release?

You can make an e-shop account in any region. Disgaea 5 had a several month delay going from Japan to US, and the Japanese copy had the full English translation from the PS4 version, it was very popular in this thread to pick up the digital Japanese copy around launch.

I haven't even heard of this game but the link worked and a quick google got me a reddit post with a side bar that includes upcoming game releases and it's listed as 10/11/18 (today) for EU. Reddit Source so I wouldn't go through the hassle of setting up a US Nintendo account if it's a few hours or a day away but that's up to you.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So, the Disgaea 1 collection thing that just came out. Yes/No? Never played the games, but I could do with some tactics-ing and they seem to be a thing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kirby seems like the best choice, doesn't it practically play itself with all the allies?

If you're ok reading, Night in the Woods, is a good little narrative, but I think it may have some parts unpleasant to someone who may be averse to loud nights or bright visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Warbird posted:

So, the Disgaea 1 collection thing that just came out. Yes/No? Never played the games, but I could do with some tactics-ing and they seem to be a thing.
The main difference between games is the story, other than that just get the newest. 99% of your time playing is going to be after the story. It's probably 10-20 hours if you listen to all the dialog and a 200+ hours in post game. Most of the stories are pretty nonsense anyway.

Disgaea 1 has the best story, it's still an anime story and the real part of the game you are going to care about is the post game. All the crazy grinding and optional bosses that bring the engine to it's limits. (and numbers to the quadrillions) The games have nothing in common between stories and each title has a more impressive post game.

I'd get 5 as an intro to the series. If you have already played 5, 2 has a unique crime / punishment system that was really interested but dropped as it was pretty grindy unless you abused it (you were supposed to abuse it).

5 was a launch title, so you should be able to get it cheaper.