Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That Yakuza movie was fun, and I liked I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szechuan
Mar 3, 2008

Lycus posted:

It's not really weird. For movies, the goal for top filmmakers is the theater. Streaming is the runner-up prize. But for TV developers, it's the ideal format, it has the greatest amount of creative freedom for them.

It's my understanding that a lot of the 'Netflix exclusive' shows are only distributed by them. I think the ability to cherry pick from a stable of already-produced series is also an advantage.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Szechuan posted:

It's my understanding that a lot of the 'Netflix exclusive' shows are only distributed by them. I think the ability to cherry pick from a stable of already-produced series is also an advantage.

Netflix doesn't have an active in-house production studio, it makes licenses with various companies to distribute their stuff as long as they can own it and control it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

So after starting Jack Ryan with my wife and trying not to watch ahead like a twat as I stay up late during my fall break, I decided to find some other spy/military/crime show and stumbled upon this a show called Strike Back on Prime. It's one of those odd shows that had fairly regular seasons to start, but only has a total of 5 seasons across 8 years. At least according to IMDB episode ratings, it starts out strong but the last season looks like it takes a dive in quality .

Anyone else watched this? I'm only on the 3rd episode of the first American season (not the Andrew Lincoln season) seems good so far, but I'm wondering if it's worth sticking with or if there's a point I should bail.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Mammal Sauce posted:

So after starting Jack Ryan with my wife and trying not to watch ahead like a twat as I stay up late during my fall break, I decided to find some other spy/military/crime show and stumbled upon this a show called Strike Back on Prime. It's one of those odd shows that had fairly regular seasons to start, but only has a total of 5 seasons across 8 years. At least according to IMDB episode ratings, it starts out strong but the last season looks like it takes a dive in quality .

Anyone else watched this? I'm only on the 3rd episode of the first American season (not the Andrew Lincoln season) seems good so far, but I'm wondering if it's worth sticking with or if there's a point I should bail.

The first two American seasons are dope. I particularly love the second. The third is worse but has some really cool stuff and is still good. The fourth was actually a bit poo poo. There are only a scant few action scenes that are cool and a newly introduced character is trash. The most recent season starts off questionable but gets better.

Stick with it if you like lots of practical action. It's the best action show I've seen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Strike Back is like if they took 80's action movies, mixed in equal parts tactilol stuff, and cranked it up to 11.

And I loving love it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
is it fun like burn notice? i miss shows like that

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Mammal Sauce posted:

It's Cinemax quality trash, which can be a very good thing. If you haven't already, watch Banshee. It's amazing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The streaming Balkanization continues: AT&T has announced it's going to launch a WarnerMedia streaming service, and they're going to let all of their content licenses (like HBO, TNT, TBS) lapse and revert so they'll be exclusive to it.

So if you want to watch The Wire on Amazon Prime, do it now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hulu and Netflix were so drat good in 2009/10.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hulu and Netflix were so drat good in 2009/10.

I feel like Hulu has steadily gotten better than Netflix, but I will fully admit I'm very cool or cold on most of the so-called "Netflix Originals." Honestly, the only reason I keep Netflix is because they have Cheers, Frasier and the Star Treks commercial-free; their movie library is garbage nowadays.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's Cinemax quality trash, which can be a very good thing. If you haven't already, watch Banshee. It's amazing.

I couldn’t get into banshee at all but loved strike back. I think it was just the characters, I hated basically everyone in banshee.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

The streaming Balkanization continues: AT&T has announced it's going to launch a WarnerMedia streaming service, and they're going to let all of their content licenses (like HBO, TNT, TBS) lapse and revert so they'll be exclusive to it.

Physical media looking better all the time....

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

I feel like Hulu has steadily gotten better than Netflix, but I will fully admit I'm very cool or cold on most of the so-called "Netflix Originals." Honestly, the only reason I keep Netflix is because they have Cheers, Frasier and the Star Treks commercial-free; their movie library is garbage nowadays.

Hulu had a pretty great film selection until Criterion left- it wasn't just them, other things seemed to leave at around the same time.

Of course it's hard to tell since Hulu now has the wooooorst interface, which is actually saying something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

I knew the media was incestuous but I wasn't even aware of half these connections.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Of course it's hard to tell since Hulu now has the wooooorst interface, which is actually saying something.

It's unusable on PS4. I mean, just loving intolerable.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Timby posted:

If I remember correctly back in 2008/9 there were a lot more shows you could watch new episodes of the day after they aired and it was free and you only had to watch one normal length ad.

Also at that time Netflix streaming had many more good movies.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timby posted:

I feel like Netflix has a steady drip of interesting smaller movies that I would never really run out of stuff to watch on it. I only cancelled it now because it’s so painless to stop and restart later and I want to watch a few things on Hulu (I don’t like having multiple streaming services at once because I won’t watch them all enough to justify it). Hulu’s movie selection seems pretty drat dire in comparison.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The cost of streaming went way down when I realized that I could trade off access to my prime video account for my access to my friend's ad free hulu account and my crunchyroll (now VRV) account for another friend's Netflix account. I pay about $25 per month and I have a full suite of services, so I've never really felt the need to cancel anything even when the selection is sorta dire.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I assume everyone only pays for 1 streaming account and shares it with 3 other people to get all the other services in return.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Alright, just finished Over the Garden Wall. I think I'll have to give Adventure Time another shot.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Alright, just finished Over the Garden Wall. I think I'll have to give Adventure Time another shot.

Check out Hilda on Netflix if you want another super chill cartoon with pleasing aesthetics

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

tweet my meat posted:

Check out Hilda on Netflix if you want another super chill cartoon with pleasing aesthetics

emptyquote

I've watched it twice.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Also at that time Netflix streaming had many more good movies.

Netflix's streaming is down to about 4,000 titles.

A few years ago it was was like 14,000.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Anyone watch 22 July on netflix yet?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I liked Mandy, but there's a lot of wasted potential there. Like you've got all these hints about Mandy being the "author" of her own death, framing Red's revenge rampage as her fantasy, some hints towards the end of Red himself having a history of mystical experience / transgression, the nod towards Reagan heralding the death and corruption of the hippie era, and so on... but all of that mostly just ends up being characterization at best, and references for the sake of reference at worst.

I'd love to hear someone prove me wrong and draw all of that into a cohesive reading -- and I think the Mandy-as-author stuff comes close -- but I wasn't entirely satisfied with what we got.

e: tagged some of that stuff just in case

I mean what would you get out of if they added explanations and exposition. It seems you were able to figure it out without it so I'm not sure what they could really add to the film you know?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The_Rob posted:

I mean what would you get out of if they added explanations and exposition. It seems you were able to figure it out without it so I'm not sure what they could really add to the film you know?

I'm not looking for explanations or exposition within the narrative, I'm looking for these things to mean something, to make a statement of some kind. They're cool, but I don't know why they're significant, or how they relate to each other.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not looking for explanations or exposition within the narrative, I'm looking for these things to mean something, to make a statement of some kind. They're cool, but I don't know why they're significant, or how they relate to each other.

I mean with LSD the entire feeling of the room can change by something you watch, read, or listen to. I think she is telling the story in so much that he is inspired by her. He is inspired by her mind and her artwork and he uses that inspiration to change his worldview. And her art and her influences kind of play into the world of the counter culture in the 70's and 80's. Underground comic books, heavy metal
Music. These are the fears of the conservatives of that time. Everything about her inspires him so much so that he creates an entirely new world.

I'm not sure if this is the type of explanation you're looking for but these are just some thoughts I was playing around with.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One thing about Strike Back is that it has a massive shift in tone between the first and second season. The first one (IIRC directed by a wholly different team) is a relatively subdued thriller-ish thing. All the following seasons are ludicrous but amazing balls-to-the-walls action fests. Some services also just outright skip the first season. That's not to say that the first season is necessarily better or worse, just that it's a very different beast.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Perestroika posted:

One thing about Strike Back is that it has a massive shift in tone between the first and second season. The first one (IIRC directed by a wholly different team) is a relatively subdued thriller-ish thing. All the following seasons are ludicrous but amazing balls-to-the-walls action fests. Some services also just outright skip the first season. That's not to say that the first season is necessarily better or worse, just that it's a very different beast.

It's also as mindless as action movies/shows get, for viewers who thought Banshee was too cerebral. In Strike Back everyone double crosses everyone else at some point, sometimes triple crossing, then a bunch of explosions and boobs, it's wild. It's exactly what me at 15 years old thought Cinemax was. More importantly it looks like everyone's having a good time, and there's nothing I love more than actors who know they're in a B-movie/series just shred scenery and have fun pushing the limits with a reasonable budget.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

red19fire posted:

In Strike Back everyone double crosses everyone else at some point, sometimes triple crossing, then a bunch of explosions and boobs, .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmd1qMN5Yo0

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So many escalating "What in the holy gently caress is she doing?"s in the Kindergarten Teacher.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Can anyone who finished watching Apostle tell the rest of us if it's good?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The MSJ posted:

Can anyone who finished watching Apostle tell the rest of us if it's good?

It’s Gareth Evans. I have no doubt I will find it good if not great. Plus the reviews have been pretty positive.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The first hour of Apostle is boring as gently caress and then people start dying and I still couldn't care at all. It's one of those neat 90 minute movies that were 2 hours for some reason.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Seven in Heaven on Netflix was pretty good! I've been struggling to find good horror movies to watch that I haven't already seen a million times, so I landed on this one. The setup is a guy and a girl play Seven Minutes in Heaven at a party and get sucked into an alternate reality and try to find their way back, and the premise sounded good because I loved that segment in one of the VHS movies. It did well at having two interesting parallel plots (the original house party was kind of goofy but fun, mostly for the characterization of the cops), but around the 3/4 mark it starts to invent its own logic. Dimension-hopping guidance counselor, the second alternate reality, who can use the closet and why, how his dad kept popping up everywhere, etc.

Ending spoiler: The "Lie and Die" dimension was awfully written. Everyone in there just sits around and plays this game? Without that, the movie would have been much stronger, because the first alternate reality that took up most of the movie wasn't an "evil" reality like I suspected from the premise, it seemed like the town developed differently so everyone was a shithead on some level and the kids even moreso, and that dimension's Jude was the worst of the bunch. Until it got to the girl's sister being like an actual evil person, it was like the reality could have existed. The "Lie and Die" dimension was badly written because it's not a place where people just live their lives, it was one that only existed for the movie to have some place scary for the kids to encounter. I don't know if I'm making myself as clear as I want though. As for the actual ending, Jude blurting out "I didn't kill Derrick!" followed by the cop finding a bloody pencil with Derrick's blood on it is probably going to land Jude in jail.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The Last Temptation of Christ is on my Netflix feed. I should see this, if I generally like Scorsese, yes?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

LifeLynx posted:

Seven in Heaven on Netflix was pretty good! I've been struggling to find good horror movies to watch that I haven't already seen a million times, so I landed on this one.

I thought it was extremely awful. I thought it was written by that game where each person takes turns adding one word.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

BigglesSWE posted:

The Last Temptation of Christ is on my Netflix feed. I should see this, if I generally like Scorsese, yes?

It's a fun movie but I wouldn't say it's distinctly Scorsese. See it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It's a fun movie but I wouldn't say it's distinctly Scorsese. See it anyway.

It totally is, it's just the genre of Scorcese film that guys don't have dorm room posters of.