Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Rubellavator posted:

Nobody ever talks about going back in time and saving Hitler. Getting him therapy from an early age. Making him feel loved.

if you fixed the timeline, would your fixing it then become a monstrous act since due to fixing it he was never the monster you needed to save, now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Tendai posted:

"Hitler, but DeviantArt-er" doesn't actually seem like an improvement

Imagine a totalitarian world where all of the ubermensch parade around in Furry costumes of Sonic and Goofy

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I would also go back in time to gently caress Stalin but that's mostly just because Stalin was hot

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bogus Adventure posted:

Imagine a totalitarian world where all of the ubermensch parade around in Furry costumes of Sonic and Goofy

imagine the alt-right got it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Blade Runner posted:

I would also go back in time to gently caress Stalin but that's mostly just because Stalin was hot

Where do you think I got my username from

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

CheesyDog posted:

imagine the alt-right got it

I think they like anime, not Sonic

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
The only moral use of a time machine is to go back to dinosaur times and have a t-rex steak, maybe take a selfie with a dimetrodon.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

dudeness posted:

The only moral use of a time machine is to go back to dinosaur times and have a t-rex steak, maybe take a selfie with a dimetrodon.

It would just pan out like ARK: Survival evolved. The t-rex roars, you poo poo yourself, try to run but get lost in the primordial forest and die to ankle-bite by a compsognathus

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hey I know, let's start posting stories from Reddit! That's different for this thread.

How's this pendulum swing from open relationships?

I[36F] am in arranged marriage with [37M]. He has very poor manners and make scenes in public.

(Note: I'm pretty sure English isn't this person's first language so there's some weirdness in the writing. I think by "needs teenager" she means they have a disabled teenager in a wheelchair/stroller of some kind.)

quote:

We have been married for 17 years, arranged marriage and a needs teenager, so divorce isn't the simple answer. I also love him and I don't want to fight.

He just recently started doing things as a family. The past couple months. his mother convinced him to start spending more time with us instead of working, such as doing errands or eating out. He has poor manners. I'm starting to handle his manners at home and with our son. He makes scenes in public, hurts strangers and workers, and embarrasses us.

I'd like advice on how to approach it and possibly ways to control the situation better. I'm a passive person unless I know what to do.

Here is a good example of behavior he shows at friends'/in public.

We went to eat. I had teen son in his stroller because it's easier to contain him and it was late so he'd probably fall asleep. Husband was making a huge deal about how the entrance had a thick threshold and he had to lift the stroller over it. He pinned it on the salad bar tender and told her to go report it to the manager. He started getting a passive aggressive attitude with a waitress because it took over 10 seconds for her to bring us butter, and he was snapping his fingers for a whole seven seconds to get a waitress' attention about his drink, even though she acknowledged. The ice started melting before he decided to start drinking it, so he pinned it on our waitress and the "lovely ice" she served.

He got mad because son wasn't eating a piece of bread I gave him, and he gave the impression that son was ruining everything. I told husband to stop. So what does husband do? Gets up, scrapes plate off in the trash because he lost appetite. Then he insisted I order him something else, because he got hungry. I offered him my food, since I usually finish son's food, and he complained about what I ordered. I took son through the salad bar for some fruit or treats to go with the potatoes and soup I got him. Husband complained about the fruit (he gets upset when I feed son soft diet foods or "feminine" food like fruit, though son mostly eats soft food). Son was doing good, was feeding himself, I fed him in intervals. Food got on son's clothes and face and husband criticised it. But before husband finished his appetizer, son fell asleep. Husband started snapping his fingers in son's face telling him to wake up. I put the hood out on the stroller and I draped the blanket over the stroller, so son would sleep in peace (something I do anyways because I don't like strangers seeing my kid sleep). Husband told me to stop babying.

Son finished eating before husband got his plate. What does husband do? Stops enjoying his meal and pushes his plate to the middle of the table, puts his glass to the middle of the table, and spits bread into a napkin. He's no longer allowed or able to have a lovely dinner. I took son to the bathroom with me and texted my mom in there, so I wouldn't lose my poo poo. She offered to come get us but I didn't want to make hus lose his poo poo. I waited until he decided it was time to go home.

tl;dr: Husband turns into a 4 yo in public
Her disabled son is literally more mature than her husband.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bogus Adventure posted:

What, as opposed to Pepe and the V guy?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 11, 2018

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Marching around at the speed of sound
Got people to kill gotta swallow that red pill

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Blade Runner posted:

Marching around at the speed of sound
Got people to kill gotta swallow that red pill

:popeye:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hey I know, let's start posting stories from Reddit! That's different for this thread.

I[36F] am in arranged marriage with [37M]. He has very poor manners and make scenes in public.

(Note: I'm pretty sure English isn't this person's first language so there's some weirdness in the writing. I think by "needs teenager" she means they have a disabled teenager in a wheelchair/stroller of some kind.)

sounds like my indian ex mother in law. she was so bad i literally had to put my foot down about going out in public with her, she just couldnt behave like a human at all.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
That guy sucks so loving bad, I hate him worse than the dude who ran out on his girlfriend and kid.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Sexual discrimination against Men

quote:

Hello, This takes place in Chicago IL. I work at a gym in their childcare department. I have years of experience working with kids and when I got this job I was told that I'm not allowed to change diapers because I'm a man. It's nice that I don't have to change diapers but this rule doesn't seem legal and I'm slightly offended that they think I'm predisposed to do something nefarious just because I'm a man.

In short, is this legal?

OP posted:

Mostly just curious. Also this isn't the first time I've ran into people or situations having reservations about me working with kids. It's really frustrating to have to justify that you're not a pedophile. I'm fine with not changing diapers, I'm not fine with why I don't change diapers.

This Escalated Quickly posted:

Don't assume they said this because they think you're capable of doing something nefarious due to your gender. It may be a better safe than sorry situation. Many parents, especially fathers, would be very upset at having another man change their baby girl's (or boy's) diaper, for example. My own husband would be livid, and I would be angry as well. I think you're making this into something it isn't.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

extra row of teeth posted:

Maybe if Deviantart existed back then his decent Disney drawings would have given him a hugbox of positive comments and lifted his self esteem.

Deviantart stops the holocaust

If Tumblr had existed back then, young Hitler would have found an outlet in the Karl May superfan community and his worst excesses would have been limited to terrible fanfiction that Pick would read

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

La Brea Carpet posted:

Don't assume they said this because they think you're capable of doing something nefarious because of your gender. Assume they said it because I think you're capable of doing something nefarious because of your gender, you perverted monster.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

La Brea Carpet posted:

quote:

This Escalated Quickly posted:
Don't assume they said this because they think you're capable of doing something nefarious due to your gender. It may be a better safe than sorry situation. Many parents, especially fathers, would be very upset at having another man change their baby girl's (or boy's) diaper, for example. My own husband would be livid, and I would be angry as well. I think you're making this into something it isn't.

What? 'Don't assume they think you'll do something nefarious... but my husband and I would be furious if you changed our baby's diaper'.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Straight White Shark posted:

Don't assume they said this because they think you're capable of doing something nefarious because of your gender. Assume they said it because I think you're capable of doing something nefarious because of your gender, you perverted monster.

Yeah I’m not sure what she thought she was saying.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

she just couldn't make it one paragraph without talking about herself

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Back on the sex doll guy...

quote:

That's the thing that says he had images [of children]. But I never have. Never had any interest in children. I just ordered the smallest cuz I was living at home and had to hide it
The smallest sex doll? I don't want to google how... small they get.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PancakeTransmission posted:

I mean, I know this for complete F Plus reasons, but they literally make them without... parts. They make ones that are just a torso/pelvis/head, or some horrible monstrosity that has all three dickable holes on it even though they are not all on the same part of the body.

Do not underestimate how horrible they can be made to look.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PancakeTransmission posted:

He's a liar.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

La Brea Carpet posted:

He is actually right, you can't implement gender-based discrimination at work even for things that are no fun. Like you can't make women not be trash collectors because they're women, and you can't make men not change diapers because they're men.

You gotta just change babies with at least one other adult present, ideally just in the main room.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

He is actually right, you can't implement gender-based discrimination at work even for things that are no fun. Like you can't make women not be trash collectors because they're women, and you can't make men not change diapers because they're men.

You gotta just change babies with at least one other adult present, ideally just in the main room.

Right. You tell him he can change a diaper, but if he actually goes for it you whip out the tire iron and get medieval on his rear end.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
re discussing sex history chat:

I feel like often we see it come up there's other issues usually related to their sex life and then the OP finds out that their wife had a past that's like completely opposite of what they're experiencing now and feel like they've been settled for/are inadequate and that's why their bedroom experience is lackluster.

Of course there's plenty of other explanations such as their wife not liking those experiences and that's why she doesn't want to repeat them now or simply a change in preferences as they got older.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rotten Red Rod posted:

She has a needs husband apparently

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Streak posted:

Yeah, needs a brick to the loving skull

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Streak posted:

Do the needful :murder:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

short and sweet, like a loser haiku

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

I just made an involuntary *urrfff* noise at my computer.

Does TV dictate our Me [33 M], [24 F] lives?

quote:

I'm a male (33), dating a woman (24) for about 9 months now.

Besides all the other things that are rattling around in my mind, here's the thing thats at the forefront of it. Over the last couple years I spent a ton of time working out, working on myself and generally just healing from years of serial relationships (bad and good), bad decisions (drinking and drugging too much) and overall really putting forth the effort to be a better me. One component that was valuable in helping me to accomplish that was getting off social media (fb, insta, etc), ditching tv and spending more time reading (mostly non-fiction), listening to music, working out and just spending more time DOING actual things with my time.

Here's my quandary. Ill try to keep is short and if more clarification or information is asked of me, I'll provide it.

Basically, my girlfriend, like most people spend a pretty large amount of time watching tv (cable, Netflix), etc. I'll be back home in town for a month ( I travel a ton for work), and I'll be picking up a rental that's furnished but doesn't have a television (which I love). I pitched the idea that maybe we should go the month (30 days) without any television (when she's with me). I even suggested tons of things we can do instead. She declined.

My honesty is that it kind of bothers me that she can't imagine being without access to a television. I'll be honest I don't hold the highest regard for it. Yes, it can be a great source of entertainment, the expression of art in that medium can be awesome and as a tool for relaxation it works for most people but in general, I'm just of the mindset that it's a fantastic time waster. I just want to try filling our time with doing stuff together other than vegging out every night. Like cooking dinner TOGETHER and sitting and talking. Finding projects to do together (she loves DIY projects but only the kind that come out of an IKEA box. I wanna reupholster her worn out floor chest/), read more books and talk about them. Go for walks. Get out to events in town, meet people (she's always complaining about not having friends). But, she's just not having any it. Her primary concern most nights is just making it home to her tv and to her bed.

Part of my worry is that I wish she'd want to be more proactive in this way (which is a ridiculous expectation). But, the other reservation is that I know that partners tend to pull each other towards the others habits. Hers being smoking (pot) nightly and falling asleep on the bed. And that's just not me. I have no issues with occasional smoking ( I use to smoke daily) but at 33, I just enjoy life more sober versus when I was her age. She's tried to guilt me into smoking more by telling me I'm boring and that BF's are supposed to smoke with their girlfriend's (which I think is pretty childish logic). I guess I just worry that this will eventually get old...or that it already is...

Am I overthinking all this?

All insights welcome.

**TL;DR** Girlfriend's relationship to tv and pot bothers the poo poo out of me. Am I overreacting or are we just not a match?

Hmm yes why isn't my nearly decade younger girlfriend as self actualized as me.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

La Brea Carpet posted:

Does TV dictate our Me [33 M], [24 F] lives?

Hmm yes why isn't my nearly decade younger girlfriend as self actualized as me.
I did that stuff all the time when I was younger but now that I'm in my 30's I've kinda grown out of it.

*girlfriend is 24*

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

If you're giving "when I was your age!!!!" style old man lectures to your girlfriend perhaps the age gap is excessive

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

my initial reaction was that this was an ironic shitpost but on second thought that might just be a conditioned response to seeing Twitter

Blade Runner posted:

If you're giving "when I was your age!!!!" style old man lectures to your girlfriend perhaps the age gap is excessive

Yeah it kinda just sounds like this guy is learning not to date 24-year-olds anymore

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

loquacius posted:

my initial reaction was that this was an ironic shitpost but on second thought that might just be a conditioned response to seeing Twitter

1) its probably a joke

2) i know a few girls who would 100% unironically agree with him if it wasnt a joke

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
If you're a boring slob at 25, you're probably not going to be very interesting when you're 35.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Oh my god, I didn’t think “out for some cigarettes” dads were real.

I freaked out and hosed up big time with my girlfriend and newborn (33m, 26f, 0f)

Surprising nobody, somebody is making GBS threads on the girlfriend in the comments.

quote:

Really you need to have a talk one on one. If she cant be adult enough to do that she cant possibly be mature enough to look after that baby. Try to empathise for a second she might be scared you'll leave again but next time not come back you need to talk down that part of her.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I mean if the counter was clear before she showed up and looked like that when she left? IDK, I have always helped SO's/friends clear up before I leave. If the counter looked like that when she got there... yeah, gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Dannywilson posted:

I mean if the counter was clear before she showed up and looked like that when she left? IDK, I have always helped SO's/friends clear up before I leave. If the counter looked like that when she got there... yeah, gently caress that guy.

It's the second one, the guy is saying he expected her to just clean up his own mess that he had made as a "girlfriend test".