Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think perhaps if you read that post with a slightly more generous eye, another meaning might emerge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

V. Illych L. posted:

i think perhaps if you read that post with a slightly more generous eye, another meaning might emerge

There really isn't one worth addressing, it's fundamentally a complaint that you don't get instant access to all a political party can do just for showing up.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(

Sinteres posted:

President Donald Trump said late Wednesday that he is reluctant to cut off arms sales to Saudi Arabia if the kingdom is found to be responsible for the assumed death of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi, believing such a move could be detrimental to the U.S. economy.

Won't this end with some internal Saudi investigation that points the finger at some mid-level intelligence officer who set this up on his own with consulting the chain of command?

That scapegoat probably gets hanged or whatever the Saudi's preferred execution method is and then everyone can pretend the issue was properly resolved and move on.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Buckhead posted:

Won't this end with some internal Saudi investigation that points the finger at some mid-level intelligence officer who set this up on his own with consulting the chain of command?

That scapegoat probably gets hanged or whatever the Saudi's preferred execution method is and then everyone can pretend the issue was properly resolved and move on.

Not if Americans vote in a month.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

i am harry posted:

Not if Americans vote in a month.
More like "even if". Or, let not be too optimistic, "only if".

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just remembered the post of US ambassador to both Saudi Arabia and Turkey are vacant and no one has been nominated to fill them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OhFunny posted:

I just remembered the post of US ambassador to both Saudi Arabia and Turkey are vacant and no one has been nominated to fill them.

Absolutely nobody appreciates Jared's genius. :smith:

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/concoughlin/status/1050665398515822593

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Buckhead posted:

That scapegoat probably gets hanged or whatever the Saudi's preferred execution method is

It's been a while since I read the Quran but I believe the Shariat requires flying a plane into the perpetrator's house

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Absolutely nobody appreciates Jared's genius. :smith:

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/concoughlin/status/1050665398515822593

Wow, that's impressively ghoulish.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Con Coughlin's an ethics-free journalist who cheerfully shills for whoever will bung him some cash. He was seen attending a party hosted by Saudi Arabia at London's Natural History Museum shortly before that particular piece was published.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

OhFunny posted:

641 days, wow. Guess Jared can do it all!?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That pastor imprisoned in Turkey is getting released today.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Elyv posted:

That pastor imprisoned in Turkey is getting released today.

I'm wondering what the explicit quid pro quo is here or if this is an attempt to leverage the Saudi assassination to swing trumps favor.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm wondering what the explicit quid pro quo is here or if this is an attempt to leverage the Saudi assassination to swing trumps favor.

probaly. trump is an easily swayed moron who falls for honeyed words easy(look at his 180 with North Korea). an actual gesture like that might actually work with him.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

If Turkey really has a loving video of this guy being chopped up, I'd imagine they're going to leverage that as far as they can.

The only official Turkish reaction has been this "joint investigation" with KSA right? Everything else has been said through media outlets?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The hot new take is that he deserved to die because he was uh an Iranian backed Al Qaeda or some poo poo?

https://twitter.com/UrbanAchievr/status/1050816491149508608

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Count Roland posted:

If Turkey really has a loving video of this guy being chopped up, I'd imagine they're going to leverage that as far as they can.

The only official Turkish reaction has been this "joint investigation" with KSA right? Everything else has been said through media outlets?

Why would they publicly announce they have the tape if they wanted to use it to extort someone? If they actually had the tape they could have kept it a secret and told MBS they had the tape and demand that he invest several billion dollars into Turkey or they release it.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
"support both directly from the US and indirectly from the Pakistani government"

:thunk:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Radio Prune posted:

"support both directly from the US and indirectly from the Pakistani government"

:thunk:

At least you focused on the important part.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sinteres posted:

The hot new take is that he deserved to die because he was uh an Iranian backed Al Qaeda or some poo poo?

https://twitter.com/UrbanAchievr/status/1050816491149508608

because history and context don't exist for these assholes, only the now and sometimes the past if they can twist it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

qkkl posted:

Why would they publicly announce they have the tape if they wanted to use it to extort someone? If they actually had the tape they could have kept it a secret and told MBS they had the tape and demand that he invest several billion dollars into Turkey or they release it.

Why not announce it? Its a signal that they're pissed off, that they know what happened, and they they could prove it if they wanted to. If this is true or not is a different story of course.

If they only wanted to trash KSA's image they would release the tape and charge a bunch of people with murder, causing a big incident. Turkey is clearly playing a diplomatic game of some sort here.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/macrokurd/status/1050760465318596609

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Quote is not edit

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1050855848308822017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apple watch doesn't unlock with fingerprints AFAIK. It's possible they unlocked it with a weak combination or he still had a pulse as it doesn't necessarily auto-lock unless you take it off.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Martytoof posted:

Apple watch doesn't unlock with fingerprints AFAIK. It's possible they unlocked it with a weak combination or he still had a pulse as it doesn't necessarily auto-lock unless you take it off.

Or Turkey is trying to find a way to release the audio without admitting they bugged the consulate.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Or Turkey is trying to find a way to release the audio without admitting they bugged the consulate.

Honestly this is the most likely explanation and why they've been so coy about everything.

Unrelated to this sordid episode, some people within the Trump administration are accusing Turkey of evading US sanctions on Iranian oil by buying it with Venezuelan gold instead of dollars.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-11/why-erdogan-is-maduro-s-new-bff

Bloomberg posted:

Tons of Venezuelan gold—strip mined in rancid conditions overseen by the military—are being shipped to Turkey for refinement and processing. U.S. officials say some may be making its way to Iran in violation of sanctions on the Islamic Republic.

All told, the deals are further evidence that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s Turkey, a NATO member, may be shifting away from the West toward China, Iran, and Russia. In August, the U.S. imposed sanctions on two Turkish government ministers to pressure Erdogan into releasing an American pastor being held on charges of espionage. Further sanctions are being considered.

When Marshall Billingslea, assistant U.S. treasury secretary for terrorist financing, was in Turkey in late July, he raised the issue of possible gold sales to Iran. “We certainly would be very, very concerned about trying to trade with Iran in gold,” he told reporters in Ankara. “We are tracking large purchases of gold in Turkey these days, and we’re trying to understand why that’s happening.”

Another American official said that the U.S. hasn’t been able to confirm that Venezuelan gold is going to Iran via Turkey but that the U.S. will go after that trade if it’s occurring. With the U.S. threatening economic sanctions and relations deteriorating, Erdogan could be deliberately taunting America with such transactions, the official said. Asked whether its gold was going to Iran via Turkey, the Venezuelan government declined to comment and the Turkish government didn’t respond. In Iran, trade officials didn’t reply, while a foreign ministry official said he knew nothing about the matter.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Well, I mean, that IS the most likely scenario, but they should probably leak some information that is actually stands up to scrutiny. Then again, who knows how much of this was run through the telephone game.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Martytoof posted:

Well, I mean, that IS the most likely scenario, but they should probably leak some information that is actually stands up to scrutiny. Then again, who knows how much of this was run through the telephone game.

The Sauds are going to know it's a lie anyway, the cover story only has to provide enough plausible deniability to give them something to say other than "we bugged 'em".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Very true. Mainly this was just my inner "WELL ACTUALLY :smug:" internet nerd taking over.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

At this point everyone would be surprised if a consulate in the Middle East isn’t bugged by the host country.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Squalid posted:

Honestly this is the most likely explanation and why they've been so coy about everything.

Unrelated to this sordid episode, some people within the Trump administration are accusing Turkey of evading US sanctions on Iranian oil by buying it with Venezuelan gold instead of dollars.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-11/why-erdogan-is-maduro-s-new-bff

Turkey smuggling gold to Iran was a thing in the previous bout of sanctions-- I guess they just started up the program again.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

IIRC leaked evidence of Erdogan family involvement in smuggling Iranian oil was part of what provoked the anti-Gulen crackdown in the first place.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Squalid posted:

Of course, since it's suspected of going to Iran, the gold is "strip mined in rancid conditions overseen by the military" right in the opening sentence. If the gold was going elsewhere, the article wouldn't mention that detail at all.

US sanctions against Iran are loving stupid and I'm glad everyone is manning up and finding ways to evade them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/LongWarJournal/status/1050398468341227521

https://twitter.com/billroggio/status/1050136934616580096

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Cat Mattress posted:

Of course, since it's suspected of going to Iran, the gold is "strip mined in rancid conditions overseen by the military" right in the opening sentence. If the gold was going elsewhere, the article wouldn't mention that detail at all.

US sanctions against Iran are loving stupid and I'm glad everyone is manning up and finding ways to evade them.

You might want to read more about wildcat gold mining in South America.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

Yeah, the conditions the Venezuelan miners and environment undergo is very, very toxic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mozi posted:

And nobody loving cares about people destroying our planet's ecosystems. Newspapers generally don't bother pointing out all the ecological damage caused by every single thing they report on. "The new iPhone 78 has just been released -- produced by forced labor in China, closely monitored to prevent them from seeking the sweet release of death; and using rare earth elements obtained at a tremendous environmental cost -- and it has a lot of new fancy apps for your selfies! Woohoo!"

Again, if the gold was going to, say, Trump instead, the article wouldn't have mentioned it. The only reason it's mentioned is because ooga booga Iran ooga booga Venezuela.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Propaganda doesn't have to be a lie, it just needs to be the narrow truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I thought we already won that war.