Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Alright, this seems pretty unanimously agreed upon as a recommendation, I just wasn't sure how dota was doing nowadays, sometimes games fall into some bad state and long time users get sick of what it changed into, (*cough* Hearthstone *cough*) but it looks like you all think dota is good and fun so that's good enough for me to jump in and try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if anything dota is just suffering from what any long-running game does, but it doesn't seem like valve will want to let it go downhill if nothing else

people still play it a lot and enjoy it

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
dota sucks now, but compared to the other games in the genre?

well, league does have lux

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Johnny Joestar posted:

if anything dota is just suffering from what any long-running game does, but it doesn't seem like valve will want to let it go downhill if nothing else

lmao imagine posting this in 2018 re: dota2

valve's let it go downhill for years

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
dota 2's doing just fine, noted games goon says, in a thread that has basically not even one post a day on average now

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty sure it's because most of the people with terminal dota posting disease died years ago from it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Arena of valor is actually the third best moba

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Only because Paragon was sacrificed to feed god Fortnite.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Im_Special posted:

This might be a dumb thing to ask, but how's DotA2 nowadays and how does it stack up compared to LoL and HotS? Anyone here played HotS or started with HotS as their first MOBA but switched to DotA? What keeps you playing DotA over HotS?

I'll start off and say my first and only MOBA has been HotS, I've played it a bit...

But lately HotS has been getting more and more frustrating to play and it's no longer fun. So many little thing about it that I don't see getting fixed any time soon, if ever, and unfortunately these things turn into not so little frustration when all added up, not to mention Blizzards dated as hell client for the game. And lets be real, it's pretty a shallow/simplified game with not many options for choice with talents the way hero balance currently is.

I'm thinking of switching to DotA2 (LoL is probably out because it follows the HotS model of you needing to buy/unlock heroes, right? gently caress that noise again.) A nice things about HotS is the short games, and it's basically free when you get caught up with heroes.

I also noticed DotA has a "Plus" thing now for money? whats that about... Anyway, I know this is kind of a weird thing to ask because I could always just try DotA out a see for myself, I'm just wondering if you guys would recommend it.

Hi friend. I started on HOTS and am a new doto player ( < 130 games). I like doto because it's more complex and your team doesn't necessarily get sunk by off meta picks and it in general it feels less stale / more dynamic than hots. I think there are more dynamic minigames going on (warding, rewarding, lh/d, hunting carries vs. pushing lanes, Rosh, etc) than the hots lane->camps->objective->push cycle.

Most people have been pretty cool when I tell them I'm new-ish and the people that aren't I just mute.

Friends, I finished my ranked games and I am guardian 5!!!! Am I still allowed to tell people I'm new at 115 games played???

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I played BH and ended up 3 4 24. Got 3 commends and I tipped the 1 10 enemy mid.

Dota is cool and good.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

league's good actually, a much better game than dota 2. i gave up irony long ago so know that these are true words from a healthy, working brain

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
:negative: the ultimate betrayal

i would still watch you stream

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Wangsbig posted:

league's good actually, a much better game than dota 2. i gave up irony long ago so know that these are true words from a healthy, working brain

Why would the OP ever lie to us??

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Man why would anyone start playing Dota in 2018? If I didn't have holes in my brain I'd have quit 3-4 years ago

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
wrongsbig?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Dota 2 is a fine game to jump on stoned and mess around with friends.

I cannot comprehend playing this videogame sober.

I also dislike missing out on playing other games due to the time investment a dota game takes.

I've got a close friend who doesn't really play games, he got really into dota thanks to me around 2014 or so. He still plays a game, maybe 2 a night even though he's got a month old kid now. He loves it, watches twitch streams, follows his fave dota celebs, he even drove us the 400 miles to go to the Birmingham Major this year. If he hadn't taken to dota id have stopped playing this stupid game years ago.

He is quite happy to juggle a kid, a wife, a university course, part time teacher work and have time to play the occasional 1.5k game of dota.

Dota is cool. Playing it with any kind of adult responsibility overshadowing your life sounds awful.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm pretty sure it's because most of the people with terminal dota posting disease died years ago from it

I'm definitely dead inside from dota 2.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I keep this thread bookmarked, as a reminder to never play DotA again

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

CrRoMa posted:

Dota 2 is a fine game to jump on stoned and mess around with friends.

last time i played dota under the influence i was sittign in the fountain listening to twinmkling sounds

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
also play dota with 4 other friends for the best experience, playing with randoms is just punishing urself

and pick grimstroke every game and max spell cast range

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Johnny Joestar posted:

All the worst posters moved to an insular discord, where they speak in a weird man-baby language most of the time

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

khysanth posted:

All the worst posters moved to an insular discord, where they speak in a weird man-baby language most of the time

it's good to have them quarantined to one location away from the general public

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

Play dota with your friends :>

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dota has a turbo mode now? Holy poo poo, since when?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dead comedy forums posted:

Dota has a turbo mode now? Holy poo poo, since when?

november last year

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I've been playing this game for fifteen goddamned years since the TFT days when I was in high school and I'm too loving stupid to stop.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

my ssd crashed and I ate an abandon but I didnt get lpq :c00l:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Up Circle posted:

dota sucks now, but compared to the other games in the genre?

well, league does have lux

league has the hottest girls, but hots ends your suffering the fastest.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

dr.acula posted:

my ssd crashed and I ate an abandon but I didnt get lpq :c00l:
You can abandon one game per week or something like that without getting LPQ, presumably because they don't want to inflict LPQ on people just for having their internet die for 20 minutes.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

valve's let it go downhill for years

It can still properly sell hats though.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

turboraton posted:

Lmao at that goon missing the jungle. I've been away from some time but it's time to dotes. I've read that Riki is a strong pick but I'm about to end his assassin career with my strong man Gondar the booty hunter.

I just thought it made lanes a bit more dynamic. I never liked 2-1-2

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Also welcome to dota. :glomp:

I took a dota break for about 8 months ans have bee playing league of legends. In general that game is much worst than dota but the two things about it that are good is that the games are a bit shorter and as I get older I dont always have the time to dedicate to a dota match. The other thing is that if you are a casual player league is more straight forward. There is a lot more things that are possible in dota so you kind of have to be in the know.

I love dota though and started playing again and enjoying myself much more.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Cuntellectual posted:

league has the hottest girls

How hot we talking? Hotter then this?

I don't believe it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

khysanth posted:

there’s another discord???

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

there’s another discord???

theres at least 4.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Just join lljk ingame

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Reality Pisser posted:

Just join lljk ingame

Ever since the new ui came out that chat room has been dead. That poo poo used to be full of people down to play. Even pyrion was in there all the time.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Role queue is amazing.

I had the realization the other day tha tI don't have to play support anymore if I use role queue, queued up maybe 20 games as an offlaner and jumped up a rank and a half with an 80% winrate or something. Finally I can carry my scrub idiot team to victory.

Though, fun aside, I never really dealt with many bad supports before because that was the role I played. So I just never had a reason to have to deal with them, but my god do alot of supports love to just pick pudge and sit behind me in the offlane doing nothing. Thanks for taking my exp and not providing me any space at all, you keep throwing those hooks every 30 seconds and missing every last one. Thanks my dude. I feel so blessed when I get a shadow shaman or something that can actually pressure a lane.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig
Ranked role matching seems so great as an idea, but every time I've queued I've waited through 8 minutes of queue time before giving up. It being dota plus only really limits it I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kild posted:

theres at least 4.

jesus christ and it was dumb enough that irc had 2 or whatever.