Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ytlaya posted:

I like this frog I can make with my Ninja.

Should I just be using these "double weapon skill attack" and "three-fold attack" abilities whenever they come off cooldown (with the former being used on Aeolian Edge)? I would assume it's not worth the wait (and thus using them less often) to try and coordinate them with the Trick Attack debuff or whatever.

:yeah:

The 2 and 3 button mudras are going to clip. It's easy for Duality to get out of sync. Whether or not you wait will depend on how your ninki is coming along and how the fight is going. If it's going to be a long wait, it's not worth it. Dream Within a Dream should only fall out of sync if you do a bad. In which case just wait. It can't be that far from Trick Attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of mudra clipping, I finally realized what people were talking about regarding Raiton cutting into combos. I had (wrongly) assumed that because I was able to hit all jutsu buttons before my next combo key that it wasn't costing me anything, but I noticed that the animation was actually cutting into my combo, even if I hit the combo key in time. Meanwhile, I can use Fuma Shuriken easily without it impacting my combo at all. It's probably even more important for someone like me, since "getting thrown out of my groove" is more costly than it probably is for a better player, so the extra simplicity of using the shorter jutsu gives me more "rotation being properly executed" uptime.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Welcome to “skill speed is actually bad” town.

Re: trick attack timing; you want to slam it as much as possible, but unless if you’re going for the absolute best strats and maximum dps fflogs champion accept no substitutes, it’s fine if you wait. With the appropriate gear and always be pressing buttons (in mostly the right order), you can do more than acceptable dps for every encounter in the game as long as you don’t die to mechanics. Stuff like lining up Trick Attack (or other group wide buffs) will come with more familiarity with specific encounters to maximize utility.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

just remember
anyone with a 60s cooldown ability knows your sins

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:siren: Itinerant Moogles will leave in under 12 hours! :siren: If you haven't bought the Taoist Moogle minion or any of their other wares, get them now while you still can! The moogles are in the three main cities.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/576609c37bad3736eb619471f0ba6c108bc64915

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
I think the reason it seems like Mist Dragon hits so hard is if you catch a tic of his aoe which does a poo poo TON on top of the less damaging but annoying dot he puts on the tank. If you get a tank that doesn't move fast enough keeping him up long enough to realize his mistake can be difficult.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Im downloading after not playing since ... launch? 2014. I have a lvl 30 conjurer on Excalibur. Should I reroll or .. what. I own just ARR.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Chaeden posted:

I think the reason it seems like Mist Dragon hits so hard is if you catch a tic of his aoe which does a poo poo TON on top of the less damaging but annoying dot he puts on the tank. If you get a tank that doesn't move fast enough keeping him up long enough to realize his mistake can be difficult.

If you're unlucky, the breath can hit and both the dot and ice patch'll tick immediately and do something absurd like 70k damage unmitigated.

I've seen a few warriors with 65k+ health get one-shot from it while they were sitting in deliverance doing deeps.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

euphronius posted:

Im downloading after not playing since ... launch? 2014. I have a lvl 30 conjurer on Excalibur. Should I reroll or .. what. I own just ARR.

I guess that depends on how much of the MSQ you've done and remember/want to remember. You no longer need to level a new class to get your job stone so with a level 30 conjurer you can become a white mage right away. Excal is already where most of the goons are, if you want to play with them, so no need to move.

I say stick with it, unless you really want to do the early level story quests again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh that's good. I guess I can just read a wiki to refresh the main quests.

Is the "dungeon finder" still good? I remember it being ok.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

euphronius posted:

You might want to just start from the beginning. Level 30 isn't that far in and a refresher could help since they've definitely changed poo poo since launch.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Hm, I'll see how things go later, though I feel like the jutsu-based skill (Trick Attack) would inevitably get thrown out of sync with a non-jutsu based one (unless, at some point, you delayed the use of a jutsu in order to guarantee you could use Suiton right before Trick Attack comes back up).

Then again, Trick Attack is so good (and how good it is magnifies based on the size of your group) that I imagine it likely is worth occasionally waiting a bit with jutsus just to ensure you always use it instantly off cooldown.

In practice duality will get thrown out of sync from having to wait for AE, but it doesn't really affect your decisions with it.

Trick Attack's interaction with Ninjutsu's cooldown is complicated by Ten Chi Jin and Kassatsu, because they reset the cooldown, and because you want to use TCJ to get your suiton when possible. If you're not sure, it's generally easier to just hold ninjutsu to avoid delaying trick, until you have a clearer picture of the fight.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

euphronius posted:

Oh that's good. I guess I can just read a wiki to refresh the main quests.

Is the "dungeon finder" still good? I remember it being ok.

Yeah it's good, max level players get decent rewards for doing leveling dungeons, so the queue will eventually pop, obviously longer if you are dps.

I just went from 1-70 in the past couple months and it was fairly painless. You can kinda decide between time and money for how you want to do it. Rolling on a preferred server will give you a huge exp buff up to level 60 (and then after 90 days you could transfer), or you can straight up pay to level boost. It is a LOT of content to chew on, even if you are just doing the main story.

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 12, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I logged in with my old character and have absolutely no idea.

I think I'll start at 1 again.

Looks like on a preferred server. That exp buff looks

euphronius fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 12, 2018

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

euphronius posted:

I logged in with my old character and have absolutely no idea.

I think I'll start at 1 again.

hey wanna play together. I have a 36 warrior on Excalibur and I have no idea what I'm doing.

I made a thaumatager or w/e

PSN is Mein1Gott
In game is Fred Sandford

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I rerolled on Brynhilr. It seems to be preferred.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
can someone please repost the image where the scholar is talking to her fairy and calling her sweetie and stuff

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

euphronius posted:

what's your person's name

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

euphronius posted:

Excalibur is the place to be, that's where all the goons are which makes it a lot easier to find people to do stuff

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Excalibur is the place to be, that's where all the goons are which makes it a lot easier to find people to do stuff

If I'm still playing in 90 days I'll transfer.

cn: Sardane Oliwen

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Farg posted:

can someone please repost the image where the scholar is talking to her fairy and calling her sweetie and stuff

Leal posted:

For any newcomers:

Bolow posted:

I see that and raise you this

FFS, not even a week ago.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

FFS, not even a week ago.

We should just edit this into the top post TBH.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

euphronius posted:

If I'm still playing in 90 days I'll transfer.

cn: Sardane Oliwen

I’m also on Bryn and can craft gear if you need it. Also in a pretty decent free company if you’re interested. My ig name is Yezina Ko, feel free to hit me up.

QKachoo
Oct 6, 2018
I just resubbed after not playing since 4.1. I am going to level a SAM. Is POTD still the most effective way to level?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

QKachoo posted:

I just resubbed after not playing since 4.1. I am going to level a SAM. Is POTD still the most effective way to level?

No.

QKachoo
Oct 6, 2018

What should I be doing outside of daily roulettes and SAM class quests?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly? I level primarily through roulettes. POTD takes way too long vs. what you get out of it, and doing LDR, Trials, and ADR will get you about a level a day all the way to 70.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

QKachoo posted:

What should I be doing outside of daily roulettes and SAM class quests?

If you wanna grind, the 61-69 dungeons are pretty good once you've done daily roulettes. Solid XP + a non-dupe item for your class at the end, plus they're all fun. Queue times might get annoying.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so far I've been leveling a DRG up and its like 12 mins per queue anything 60+, really not too bad

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
if you want to zone out for 45-70 minutes, doing MSQDR at level 68+ will gift you 50% of a level.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
So I've got what's probably a stupid question but I'ma ask it anyway!

I've got a Warrior, and I'm doing pretty well with him. I've got him up to ilvl 375, been doing well in Alpha and all. I'm just feeling like I'm sort of wasting my time right now with all this gear I have if I'm not pushing Savage content.

I saw the info on the front page about how to join the various goon FCs, but the problem is I have an FC. It's small and doesn't do a lot, but they're all personal friends and I don't really want to leave their asses for the sake of high-end content. Is there any middle-ground there? Any way I can hitch my wagon to a group for some Savage content without abandoning my friends to their shameful normals?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

A large amount of the goon raiding statics tend to keep matters to separate linkshells instead of requiring you to join a separate free company. Go nuts.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arist posted:

Honestly? I level primarily through roulettes. POTD takes way too long vs. what you get out of it, and doing LDR, Trials, and ADR will get you about a level a day all the way to 70.

I find that I prefer just being patient and only leveling through the daily roulettes (which guarantee you at least like 1.5 levels a day). Through doing this, I currently have 5 jobs in the lower 60s (though scholar/summoner are kinda cheating) and BRD at 55 despite my highest job only being 64, just because I've been taking my time going through the MSQ and making sure to get in the leveling daily (and maybe the MSQ extreme cutscene daily) every day.

I tried POTD and did not enjoy it, though apparently I need to reach level 50 to do this "Heaven on High" thing.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

A large amount of the goon raiding statics tend to keep matters to separate linkshells instead of requiring you to join a separate free company. Go nuts.

Nice. So just join the Discord and see what's up, then?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

It's just an unrequested glamour shot. And a duck butt.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Every static I’ve heard of just uses linkshells. My own static is a cross-world linkshell because our other healer is on Gilgamesh instead of Balmung, no matter how many times we tell him to join us on God’s Server. I think the rest of us are spread across like 3 different free companies.

Free companies are for large communities and fun with housing and the more casual-aligned systems in the game; linkshells are for getting specific poo poo done, like crafting, hunts, or statics. It’s just way more efficient.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the only real downside is that you might not have the same FC Chest if youre not in the same one, and, that's pretty easy to work around

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Ytlaya posted:

I find that I prefer just being patient and only leveling through the daily roulettes (which guarantee you at least like 1.5 levels a day). Through doing this, I currently have 5 jobs in the lower 60s (though scholar/summoner are kinda cheating) and BRD at 55 despite my highest job only being 64, just because I've been taking my time going through the MSQ and making sure to get in the leveling daily (and maybe the MSQ extreme cutscene daily) every day.

I tried POTD and did not enjoy it, though apparently I need to reach level 50 to do this "Heaven on High" thing.

Wait, is the first completion of the day bonus seperate for each job??

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Wait, is the first completion of the day bonus seperate for each job??

Nah. The role bonus can be granted ad infinitum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Every static I’ve heard of just uses linkshells. My own static is a cross-world linkshell because our other healer is on Gilgamesh instead of Balmung, no matter how many times we tell him to join us on God’s Server. I think the rest of us are spread across like 3 different free companies.

Free companies are for large communities and fun with housing and the more casual-aligned systems in the game; linkshells are for getting specific poo poo done, like crafting, hunts, or statics. It’s just way more efficient.

My static doesn't use a linkshell because we're spread across several servers and right now the game only lets you have one cross server ls (which I use to keep in touch with other friends). We just use Discord.