Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Former DILF posted:

Actually Idaho is doing just fine, we’ve got a new tractor museum in downtown Boise

does it cost extra to gently caress the tractors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
buddy,

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I know it's not the same thing, but this feels like it belongs here anyway:

https://twitter.com/isaiah_kb/status/1047997199819427841?s=19

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

I know it's not the same thing, but this feels like it belongs here anyway:

https://twitter.com/isaiah_kb/status/1047997199819427841?s=19

lmao

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t know what this Scotland you speak of is.

are you writing country specific fan fiction?

It's a Star Trek thing; the planet Scotty is from.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

It's a Star Trek thing; the planet Scotty is from.

That planet must be cool as heck.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Zeroisanumber posted:

That planet must be cool as heck.

Used to be, but it's getting warmer every day.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

FMguru posted:

I've seen it called "The Great Sorting"

The parties used to be a lot more ideologically diverse - there were liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats and lots of things got done via cross-party coalition building (IIRC the Civil Rights Act passed with a higher percentage of Republican votes than Democratic). After 1965 (and 1968, and 1980) the parties started shifting into more ideologically unified groups - conservative Dems, usually in the south, either switched parties or were replaced by conservative Republicans (which was the Southern Strategy) while the liberal and moderate Republicans (in the northeast and later on the west coast) were slowly replaced by liberal Democrats (this year should see the R's almost completely wiped out in NY and CA and NJ congressional delegations).

But for a while, as it was happening, there were lots of voters (mostly white and working/middle class) who had been voting Democratic, but who were now casting ballots for Republicans, and Dems in these transition districts thought (often correctly) that if they shifted rightwards they could still hold on to some of the more reluctant shifting voters (by talking about the deficit and getting tough on crime and the death penalty for drug dealers etc etc)

Which worked (kind of) in the 1980s or 1990s, but the circumstances have changed since then - the Great Sorting has played out, there are no more reluctant R voters who could be lured back into the D fold (those "Reagan Democrats" in the upper midwest who were so important to the outcome of the 1980 election are for the most part dead now), and the Dems need to shift the way they build their coalition (aiming for women and people of color and young people and college-educated / the professional class) instead of trying to "get back" voters they lost thirty years ago.

The problem I have with this explanation is that the Democratic Party is dominated by conservative Dems. Yeah the Republicans wiped out their moderate and liberal candidates, but they just all became Democrats. gently caress the party leadership are explicitly Reagan Republicans and you get poo poo heads like Maddow saying that they're Eisenhower Republicans

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

KomradeX posted:

The problem I have with this explanation is that the Democratic Party is dominated by conservative Dems. Yeah the Republicans wiped out their moderate and liberal candidates, but they just all became Democrats. gently caress the party leadership are explicitly Reagan Republicans and you get poo poo heads like Maddow saying that they're Eisenhower Republicans

ah yes i remember when chuck and nancy were republicans in the 80s

the most prominent former republican in the party is liz warren

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Badger of Basra posted:

Obama used to babble all the time about going back to the politics of Reagan, Clinton supported Goldwater in college, and Feinstein flew a Confederate flag in San Francisco lmao

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Business Gorillas posted:

Obama used to babble all the time about going back to the politics of Reagan, Clinton supported Goldwater in college, and Feinstein flew a Confederate flag in San Francisco lmao

i always read obama invoking reagan the same way the gop sometimes invokes mlk-- purposefully appropriating, mythologizing, and politically neutering your opponents' heroes after they're too dead to complain

saint ronnie was a uniter, he would never put politics above country :zpatriot:

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Barak the Islamic Shock SUPERALLAH Obama, president.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13lM_rhw8FQ

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
not hard enough.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Brazzers

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

reminds me of all the Carrier plant interviews they did during that whole kerfluffle

plant has a majority black workforce but you never would've known it haha, interviews with whitey as far as the eye can see because it's vitally important that the illusion of a broad base of support amongst the poor and laboring classes for conservatism is maintained

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Epic High Five posted:

reminds me of all the Carrier plant interviews they did during that whole kerfluffle

plant has a majority black workforce but you never would've known it haha, interviews with whitey as far as the eye can see because it's vitally important that the illusion of a broad base of support amongst the poor and laboring classes for conservatism is maintained

the black carrier workers were unavailable bc they were stuck in their coastal elite bubbles

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1050501860510064640

that's one more liga voter i guess

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
They should deport citizen Italian Republicans too. Also Irish and Polish.

Basically any racist pieces of poo poo Ellis Island people who simultaneously wave their ancestral flags high and mighty, while spitting and making GBS threads on immigrants.
Deport em' all.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

that's one more liga voter i guess

what's liga???

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Megera posted:

what's liga???

Liguine froma my home-a country, Italy where-a I can't vote-a for Trump-a

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pft, he's been living here 33 years? He should get to vote

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Megera posted:

what's liga???

whatever matteo salvini or what's his face's party is

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Megera posted:

what's liga???

North Italian fascists. And yes the "north" is important.

Ironically Italian-Americans are almost exclusively of South Italian ancestry, so this guy might find himself deliciously unwelcome in Lega even if it aligns otherwise.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Megera posted:

what's liga???

liga mah balls

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

liga mah balls

mama mia

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

liga mah balls

Hahaha BOOM got em

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

liga mah balls
:drat:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i always read obama invoking reagan the same way the gop sometimes invokes mlk-- purposefully appropriating, mythologizing, and politically neutering your opponents' heroes after they're too dead to complain

saint ronnie was a uniter, he would never put politics above country :zpatriot:

Actually it's because the Dems have shifted so far to the right that they are functionally Reagan Republicans hth

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

eyy I’m votin heeyah

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Grape posted:

They should deport citizen Italian Republicans too. Also Irish and Polish.

Basically any racist pieces of poo poo Ellis Island people who simultaneously wave their ancestral flags high and mighty, while spitting and making GBS threads on immigrants.
Deport em' all.

Irish person here. We don't want "Irish Americans" back. They're a shower of bastards obsessed with a MIGA CHUD mentality that would be completely at odds with the changes that have taken place here over the past 100 years as we gradually threw off the shackles of the Catholic church and built a somewhat progressive society.

I was at a St Patrick's Day parade in upstate NY a few years ago and it was the first and only time in my life I felt ashamed to be Irish. I also got a lot of abuse from Irish Americans about how we Irish had sold out and forgotten the true meaning of being Irish. Which is apparently to wear T-shirts with Google Translate Gaelic slogans, hate everyone who isn't nominally Irish, and drink lots of poo poo Jamesons whiskey.

Clyde Radcliffe has issued a correction as of 00:19 on Oct 12, 2018

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

You can see the cogs turning in her head in realtime as she tries to justify what happened, it's incredible.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dreddout posted:

Actually it's because the Dems have shifted so far to the right that they are functionally Reagan Republicans hth

obama's first 2 years: expanded medicaid, increased regulation of healthcare and banking industries, appointed sotomayor

reagan's first 2 years: cut top tax bracket from 70% to 50%, blamed trees for air pollution, ignored AIDS, fired 11,000 striking union workers, appointed o'connor

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

obama's first 2 years: expanded medicaid, increased regulation of healthcare and banking industries, appointed sotomayor

reagan's first 2 years: cut top tax bracket from 70% to 50%, blamed trees for air pollution, ignored AIDS, fired 11,000 striking union workers, appointed o'connor

My god I'm seeing double here

FOUR Obamas!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Elevator Screamer posted:

Irish person here. We don't want "Irish Americans" back. They're a shower of bastards obsessed with a MIGA CHUD mentality that would be completely at odds with the changes that have taken place here over the past 100 years as we gradually threw off the shackles of the Catholic church and built a somewhat progressive society.

I was at a St Patrick's Day parade in upstate NY a few years ago and it was the first and only time in my life I felt ashamed to be Irish. I also got a lot of abuse from Irish Americans about how we Irish had sold out and forgotten the true meaning of being Irish. Which is apparently to wear T-shirts with Google Translate Gaelic slogans, hate everyone who isn't nominally Irish, and drink lots of poo poo Jamesons whiskey.

Unfortunate that you went to upstate New York, that may be the problem here. I feel like the vast majority of St. Patrick's Day celebrations don't have that attitude, it seems like more of a "drink a lot and today everyone is Irish" kind of thing. Avoid Boston though, in general.

It's more of a diaspora celebration anyway. I'm sure there are plenty of idiots out there who are the equivalent of white guys moving to Japan and wearing coolie hats, but in general I think Americans like being American and just like the chance to recognize their family history. We're kind of rootless compared to Europe so that gets to be a big deal. Nobody is "going back" en masse anyway, there are like 10 times as many Irish-Americans as there are actual Irish.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

St Patrick’s Day in the us mostly seems like a holdover from the days when Irish or Irish-descended people were denied full whiteness and used cultural celebrations as a way to consolidate a positive ethnic identity and sense of community, like how Columbus Day is a big deal in New York but not on the west coast because New York had Italian communities trying to endure against anti-immigrant sentiment.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

St Patrick’s Day in the us mostly seems like a holdover from the days when Irish or Irish-descended people were denied full whiteness and used cultural celebrations as a way to consolidate a positive ethnic identity and sense of community

And that identity is :kav:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

He also bailed out the bankers while leaving POC to rot, passed a republican healthcare bill, didn't pass card check even though it was a gimme, expanded the security state and deportations of migrants, never once stood up to the Republicans when they shut down the government and paved the way for a reaction that makes the tea party look moderate

Now we are left with a virtual one party state, with all major branches of government controlled by the Republicans and massive voter disenfranchisement, thanks obama

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

I guess Obama is more of a von papen figure if you think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Their ideology is one explicitly of Reagan and these fuckers trip over themselves constantly trying to praise him