Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

thrawn527 posted:

Fox21 Television Studios

That's Disney at this point, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Klungar posted:

That's Disney at this point, right?

I believe the plan is to split Fox into separate groups, and Disney would own some of them, like the movies. But not Fox News. So I have no idea where this subcompany would fall then.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I believe the plan is to split Fox into separate groups, and Disney would own some of them, like the movies. But not Fox News. So I have no idea where this subcompany would fall then.

The television production studios went to Disney I believe. News and Sports were not included. I think the plan was Disney is going to keep them autonomous from ABC/Disney for a while though (I swore I read that somewhere, but I'm now having problems finding it).

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Illuyankas posted:

No idea if this is applicable outside the UK, but the Kindle store has books 1 to 5 for 99p each as today's deal if you wanted a digital copy or were waiting for a sale to get a friend into the series etc

I picked these up. The first book was mostly okay, but does it tone down the chauvinistic vibe in the later books?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Won't be the same without Paul Blackthorne. Harry's meant to be 6'9 and while Blackthorne's only 6'3 he's ACTUALLY 6'3 which makes him 4 or 5 inches taller than the average Hollywood actor quoted at that height so you get some idea of how Harry's physicality is different to normal people.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ookiimarukochan posted:

Won't be the same without Paul Blackthorne. Harry's meant to be 6'9 and while Blackthorne's only 6'3 he's ACTUALLY 6'3 which makes him 4 or 5 inches taller than the average Hollywood actor quoted at that height so you get some idea of how Harry's physicality is different to normal people.

I agree Blackthorne was perfect casting. It's everything else that they got wrong, and that I hope they get right this time (assuming it actually happens).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Dresden series would have been much improved if Claudia Black had been a regular character as Harry's partner. The episode she was in was the best one, from my recollection.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Still think Vincent whatever from The Invisible Man would have been a good Dresden, is he even still acting?

team overhead smash posted:

I picked these up. The first book was mostly okay, but does it tone down the chauvinistic vibe in the later books?

Yes, but it's worse in 1 and 2 than the rest of the series. Don't be afraid to skip to 3 if you want, 2 has a few good scenes but is probably the worst book in the series and you can always come back to it later

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/1049376266686795776

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

*sigh* God dammit.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I'll say this for The Rook: the opener is a strong one. Just started reading it and I'm enjoying the ride. Going to be out of recommended UF series after I finish this one, though. :ohdear:

Jim, if you're that eager to write something that disappoints your fans, finish the book already

( love you )

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Illuyankas posted:

Still think Vincent whatever from The Invisible Man would have been a good Dresden, is he even still acting?
Vincent Ventresca? Yeah, he'd be a solid choice.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i read on the internet that i would get to read peace talks before i die

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I liked Bob on the TV show. I also liked the hockey stick and drum stick he used as staff/blasting rod.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've never watched the series because I'm afraid it'll supersede my mental pictures of the characters. Same goes for the audio books.

Do you find that to be the case?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Beachcomber posted:

I've never watched the series because I'm afraid it'll supersede my mental pictures of the characters. Same goes for the audio books.

It's absolutely the case for me. I can't not see Blackthorne when reading the books.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

It's absolutely the case for me. I can't not see Blackthorne when reading the books.

I can't read the books without wanting Harry to turn a hockey stick into his staff. It's insanely dumb and absolutely perfect.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Beachcomber posted:

The audio books have only made the series better for me. James Marsters is a perfect VA for it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Slanderer posted:

I can't read the books without wanting Harry to turn a hockey stick into his staff. It's insanely dumb and absolutely perfect.

My only problem with the hockey stick staff is that when I remember it I also remember the drumstick wand.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Beachcomber posted:

It's different enough that I don't have any problem separating them. Dresden is quite a bit older, the world is different, the side characters may (or may not) have the same names or personalities, and so on. It's more of a series built in the spirit of the books rather than being true to the books.

Sometimes that works. Sometimes it very much does not. The series is quite uneven, quality-wise.

The hockey stick staff is perfect, though. I consistently wish Harry had it in the books.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

The audio books have only made the series better for me. James Marsters is a perfect VA for it.

Yeppppp, same. It's tough to read it not in Marsters' voice.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

My only problem with the hockey stick staff is that when I remember it I also remember the drumstick wand.

i forgot about that, and it also owns.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
And, for me the hockey stick/drumstick are the perfect examples of not just unnecessary change, but change that was so stupid as to be eye rolling.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

torgeaux posted:

And, for me the hockey stick/drumstick are the perfect examples of not just unnecessary change, but change that was so stupid as to be eye rolling.

:agreed:

There were so many whole-sale changes that it was "Dresden" in name only.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
It may have been stupid, but it really sold the paycheck to paycheck story of the first several books.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Going non Dresden for a bit, has anyone else read the Tales of the Nightside series by Simon R Green? I've read books 1 and 2 and found them engaging.

However he needs a better editor STAT, there were some glaring issues

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sloth Life posted:

Going non Dresden for a bit, has anyone else read the Tales of the Nightside series by Simon R Green? I've read books 1 and 2 and found them engaging.

Writing them without an editor was the simplest thing in the world...

Lololo no they don’t get better. Green never says anything a different way if he can say it 5 identical ways in the same book.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sloth Life posted:

I greatly enjoy Simon R. Green but everything he writes is basically the same. The Nightside is thoroughly enjoyable for the first half dozen books and then, like all his series, starts to slowly wear out its welcome. Well worth it to continue reading at least until the Angel War. He's had a hard time committing to a series since Nightside so if you finish it and still find yourself wanting more I suggest the Hawk & Fisher stuff for more urban detective action or Deathstalker for Far Future Space Opera/Cyberpunk.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sloth Life posted:

It's kind of a fun series, but I can't stress enough that you should space the books out and not binge them. Previous posters are NOT kidding about recycled language.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ornamented Death posted:

It's kind of a fun series, but I can't stress enough that you should space the books out and not binge them. Previous posters are NOT kidding about recycled language.

That's the way it is... in the Nightside.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sloth Life posted:

In the Nightside, the quality is always the same, because in the Nightside, nothing ever changes. The Nightside is the Nightside, in the Nightside.

Nightside.

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Blue Moon Rising was one of my favorite books in high school. Beyond the Blue Moon had some cringe moments in it but was still pretty fun. Once in a Blue Moon made me angry after I finished and literally made me throw the book across the room shouting "COME ON!".

Simon R Green never met a Deus Ex Machina he didn't like.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LLSix posted:

I greatly enjoy Simon R. Green but everything he writes is basically the same. The Nightside is thoroughly enjoyable for the first half dozen books and then, like all his series, starts to slowly wear out its welcome. Well worth it to continue reading at least until the Angel War. He's had a hard time committing to a series since Nightside so if you finish it and still find yourself wanting more I suggest the Hawk & Fisher stuff for more urban detective action or Deathstalker for Far Future Space Opera/Cyberpunk.

Are you sure you don’t mean the Lilith War? I thought the Angel War centered around The Unholy Grail in Agents of Light and Darkness and then the Lord of Thorns came and kicked everyone’s asses and kicked all the Angels and Fallen out. The Lilith War groundwork was laid in book #3 and slowly ratcheted up to its climax in Sharper Then A Serpent’s Tooth(Book #6).

But yeah, that’s a good stopping point because after that it becomes same-old-same-old with some power creep. I still think his imagination is wild, but after a certain point he just falls short in execution.

What I like is all these same universe details and lore woven in to all the disparate series. The Carnaki Institute, The Walking Man, etc... Hawk and Fisher/Forest Kingdom, Droods, Nightside, a couple stand-alones, Deathstalker, and also a Carnacki Institute set of books (that I can’t really recommend), all take place in the same universe.

For most of these I’d say just read until your eyes start rolling.

Personally, I was on board with the Deathstalker books and the Forest Kingdom/Hawk and FIsher books.

One note read Forest Kingdom books 1-3 first, then the Hawk and Fisher omnibuses, and finish with Forest Kingdom Books 4 and 5 (also, apparently there’s a book 5 I somehow missed)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vogon Poetry Slam posted:

Blue Moon Rising was one of my favorite books in high school. Beyond the Blue Moon had some cringe moments in it but was still pretty fun. Once in a Blue Moon made me angry after I finished and literally made me throw the book across the room shouting "COME ON!".

Thanks you saved me some money. I’ll just pretend it ended at Book 4 then.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
As far as Simon R Green goes I did enjoy "Drinking Midnight Wine" as a sort of stand-alone spinoff of the Nightside series. It's not high lit but if he wrote more like that I'd like him better as an author.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It's less urban fantasy and just general sci-fi, but whoever recommended the Wayfarer series by Becky Chambers earlier in this thread (when I was asking for something to read that wasn't horribly depressing) may be interested to know that the new book in that series is out.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you sure you don’t mean the Lilith War? I thought the Angel War centered around The Unholy Grail in Agents of Light and Darkness and then the Lord of Thorns came and kicked everyone’s asses and kicked all the Angels and Fallen out. The Lilith War groundwork was laid in book #3 and slowly ratcheted up to its climax in Sharper Then A Serpent’s Tooth(Book #6).

But yeah, that’s a good stopping point because after that it becomes same-old-same-old with some power creep. I still think his imagination is wild, but after a certain point he just falls short in execution.

What I like is all these same universe details and lore woven in to all the disparate series. The Carnaki Institute, The Walking Man, etc... Hawk and Fisher/Forest Kingdom, Droods, Nightside, a couple stand-alones, Deathstalker, and also a Carnacki Institute set of books (that I can’t really recommend), all take place in the same universe.

For most of these I’d say just read until your eyes start rolling.

Personally, I was on board with the Deathstalker books and the Forest Kingdom/Hawk and FIsher books.

One note read Forest Kingdom books 1-3 first, then the Hawk and Fisher omnibuses, and finish with Forest Kingdom Books 4 and 5 (also, apparently there’s a book 5 I somehow missed)

You are correct.

I read Hawk & Fisher first and then Blue Moon over a decade later. It blew my mind when I reread them closer together and saw the connections.

I've always seen Forest Kingdom 2 (Blood and Honor) as more of a stand alone book. If you squint it kind of fits in the same world and it does seem to reference some characters from the other books, but the magic works pretty differently. Especially High Magic.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It's less urban fantasy and just general sci-fi, but whoever recommended the Wayfarer series by Becky Chambers earlier in this thread (when I was asking for something to read that wasn't horribly depressing) may be interested to know that the new book in that series is out.

Halfway through and so far it is Good. Actually, why am I even posting?

I never hear about Tom Holt, but apparently he's fairly prolific? Is there a goon consensus or individual opinions on him?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

I never hear about Tom Holt, but apparently he's fairly prolific? Is there a goon consensus or individual opinions on him?
He's basically a cut rate Pratchett; British humor, fantasy elements, really forgettable. Also his books are mostly interchangeable.
Writes some A-grade depressing fantasy as KJ Parker, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Vogon Poetry Slam posted:

Simon R Green never met a Deus Ex Machina he didn't like.

Yeah, I read Blue Moon Rising way before the rest. Loved it.