Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i once had a student who asked me for help with his solidworks model and i literally couldn't see what was happening on his laptop screen through the grime. there were sprays of brown god-knows-what all over the glass, like he'd been driving it through the mud, and grunge caked on so hard you could see it was three-dimensional. i got him a bottle of windex and some paper towels and told him to clean it off before I could help. that may have been humiliating for him but jesus christ dude have some pride

dude you know what those stains were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the keyboard cover for the surface pro is one of the grossest design ideas in computers. oh hey you can take this device anywhere! (disclaimer: never place it anywhere that has any dust or debris. always perform a full surgical hand wash before using the device or picking it up)

Regular and thorough hand-washing is an important part of any personal health practice, though?

I taught my tiny hu-mon to sing the alphabet song while lathering under a running tap which seems to be aligned with best-practices?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

dude you know what those stains were.

i'm in denial

anecdotally, since i started making a special effort to wash my hands after touching any student's mouse or keyboard, i now usually get away safe while the rest of the department is all sick

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Schadenboner posted:

Regular and thorough hand-washing is an important part of any personal health practice, though?

I taught my tiny hu-mon to sing the alphabet song while lathering under a running tap which seems to be aligned with best-practices?
i've also heard the happy birthday song

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

anthonypants posted:

i've also heard the happy birthday song

The place I learned this practice from was the parents scrub sink at a NICU so that might have been thought of as being in poor taste?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
the cum made the screen dirty, op

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

El_Elegante posted:

the cum made the screen dirty, op

turn your monitor on.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
dont harsh my skincare regimen

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Schadenboner posted:

my mom was the infection control coordinator for a hospital for over a decade and her laptop is an equivalent gross level as mine despite me being extremely online at all hours of the day

also some points of order here:
-you can't lather if your hands are under a running tap. the water will wash it off
-the part of the sequence in which you sing the song is the scrubbing phase, not the lathering phase
-you should turn off the tap during the lathering and scrubbing phase. at least according to the CDC

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i once had a student who asked me for help with his solidworks model and i literally couldn't see what was happening on his laptop screen through the grime. there were sprays of brown god-knows-what all over the glass, like he'd been driving it through the mud, and grunge caked on so hard you could see it was three-dimensional. i got him a bottle of windex and some paper towels and told him to clean it off before I could help. that may have been humiliating for him but jesus christ dude have some pride

you know the garbage posts like "you owe me a new monitor" and " thanks i just spit coffee all over my monitor"? well there you go

its cum

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my mom was the infection control coordinator for a hospital for over a decade and her laptop is an equivalent gross level as mine despite me being extremely online at all hours of the day

also some points of order here:
-you can't lather if your hands are under a running tap. the water will wash it off
-the part of the sequence in which you sing the song is the scrubbing phase, not the lathering phase
-you should turn off the tap during the lathering and scrubbing phase. at least according to the CDC

I just use steel wool and comet

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Sagebrush posted:

i...had...student

you're teaching now??

cool :)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

4 cameras is better. is two more
https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/1049980689200877568

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
what's a "depth camera"?

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
using this metaphor, my question is closer to "do the cameras study the image over and over infinitely and forever" even without new images being inserted in to the dataset?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
jfc android

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I totally trust samsumg's rockstar software team to create amazing seamless images that won't be blurry or full of processing artifacts

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

please secure your photos in Knox, the premiere security suite

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

we regret to inform you that Knox suffers from a plain-text encryption key stored in its binary blob. please upgrade to Knox 2.0

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bixby take a picture

bixby take a photo

hey bixby

hey bixby cheese

cheese

CHEESE

jesus chri*click*GODDAMMIT

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

President Beep posted:

what's a "depth camera"?

maybe for the portrait mode thing where it blurs the background

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

anyway phones have glass backs so the logical thing is just make the entire back a giant sensor or bust it up into four in a grid of you want

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Blue Train posted:

maybe for the portrait mode thing where it blurs the background

i was wondering that too, but the aperture on that one is only negligibly faster than the two top cameras, and actually slower than the "main camera". If anything, the user should get more out of focus backgrounds with the f/1.7 main camera.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

i was wondering that too, but the aperture on that one is only negligibly faster than the two top cameras, and actually slower than the "main camera". If anything, the user should get more out of focus backgrounds with the f/1.7 main camera.

depth of field depends on aperture vs sensor size so with those like 5mm phone sensors you’re not going to get much rich, creamy bokeh without lots of fake processing even at low f stop

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

qirex posted:

depth of field depends on aperture vs sensor size so with those like 5mm phone sensors you’re not going to get much rich, creamy bokeh without lots of fake processing even at low f stop

ah, so maybe there's some digital fuckery being applied to that one camera then

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
maybe the algorithms are set to uni-directional instead of omni-directional

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

ah, so maybe there's some digital fuckery being applied to that one camera then

that thing has 4 cameras with different apertures and resolutions, digital fuckery will be unavoidable

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

that thing has 4 cameras with different apertures and resolutions, digital fuckery will be unavoidable

good to see vintage samsung, they almost appeared to have learned something for a while

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

somebody go find kirk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what is the razer logo supposed to be anyway

i always see it as sort of like three sperms making a biohazard symbol

hm. actually, "warning: toxic genes" is pretty fuckin apt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's snakes, i'm p. sure all their input peripherals were snake themed originally

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

it's snakes, i'm p. sure all their input peripherals were snake themed originally

yup: deathadder, boomslang, etc etc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so it's like a snake...orgy?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

snake king

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

what is the razer logo supposed to be anyway

i always see it as sort of like three sperms making a biohazard symbol

hm. actually, "warning: toxic genes" is pretty fuckin apt

one of those doohickeys that used to fit in the hole of a 45rpm record to make it fit on the spindle for 33rpm

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LastInLine posted:

one of those doohickeys that used to fit in the hole of a 45rpm record to make it fit on the spindle for 33rpm

One Weird Trick to play your music at 0.75 speed?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

more like Lather Mahtin

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
field report: just spotted a dude using an essential phone. seemed like his needs were suited but I’m also pretty sure he worked at that company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’s a, needs suiter
re-booter

jail breaker don’t you mess around with me