Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Whalley posted:

How can you even tell, he got given less than nothing to work with and had the explicit direction of "don't act just say these words." I'd go ahead and say he's better than half the cast at following directorial commands.

Yeah it's like blaming Christianson for Star Wars prequel Anakin sucking. Dude's a good actor, but he was sort of told to... not be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Why did Harry Kim sit in with the senior officers meetings? You could have thrown a rock and hit someone in Voyager with more seniority.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Whalley posted:

How can you even tell, he got given less than nothing to work with and had the explicit direction of "don't act just say these words." I'd go ahead and say he's better than half the cast at following directorial commands.

I just started watching the show (seen a few random episodes here and there previous) and he seems the worst so far to me. I haven't seen that actor in anything else, so I dunno how much is the direction and how much is him. I just feel like he stands out comparatively, in a bad way. I'm like four episodes in though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

Why did Harry Kim sit in with the senior officers meetings? You could have thrown a rock and hit someone in Voyager with more seniority.

There is some vague "bridge officer" thing where I feel like the producers often conflated "is a major castmember on the show" and "is an important officer in the fictional crew"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tom Guycot posted:

He was operations officer, that's senior staff. It's more about the job he performs than his rank

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think Harry Kim was supposed to be head of OPs rather than just someone who ran it every so often. Between that and him running the ship during night shifts it felt weird for him to still be an ensign.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gorelab posted:

I think Harry Kim was supposed to be head of OPs rather than just someone who ran it every so often. Between that and him running the ship during night shifts it felt weird for him to still be an ensign.

"Somebody has to be the ensign"
- a real quote from an idiot

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Even if they promoted him to Lt, he'd still be the most junior one there. It's not like it matters. Now, if they were recruiting aliens along the way straight to Lt, then sure, grievance time.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Even if they promoted him to Lt, he'd still be the most junior one there. It's not like it matters. Now, if they were recruiting aliens along the way straight to Lt, then sure, grievance time.

"Harry, Gormlak may be new here, but he passed the officer's test on his first try. He earned his commission."

"Gormlak is barely even sentient! He's just an animate pile of silica chunks."

"Listen, I don't make the rules, Harry, and I'd appreciate it if you were more tolerant of non-humanoid lifeforms. Anyway, Neelix spilled some stew in the galley and it's dripping into the EPS conduit on deck 6. Here's a mop."

"It's the 24th century, don't we have something more advanced than a mop?"

"Well, yes, but honestly plasma scrubbers are dangerous and we're worried you'll hurt yourself."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

This made me think of what it'd be like if Kim were a lieutenant. Here's where my mind went.

They'd eventually get around to promoting him at some point, obviously. But, a full lieutenant is out of the question. Lieutenant Junior Grade is also a stretch; those people are important, after all. So, they'd create a brand new field rank just for lil' Harry Kim. It would be so cute! "Lieutenant Extra Special Grade" has a fitting ring to it. Lieutenant Extra Special Grade Harry Kim!

Janeway sits next to a sulking Kim, who is all alone in the mess hall. She pats him on the head and throws her arm around his shoulder, pulling him to her in a hug. She says, "Look, you might overhear some of the crew saying that you're just an special ensign, and the last ensign to be promoted on the ship, but listen to me, Lieutenant Extra Special Grade--don't you believe them! You're not just some dumb old regular Lieutenant Junior Grade. We have a ship full of those. You are extra special. That's why instead of a solid pip and a hollow pip, you have that extra large solid pip and the hollow golden star and crescent moon pips that Chakotay replicated just for you! Nobody else will ever have those. And while you still come to all the normal meetings that we told you to attend, now you're extra responsible because you have to bring the coffee! You're the only one we trust to get the coffee just right, because coffee is hard. You're really important, and we're all counting on you. Now buck up, Lieutenant Extra Special Grade! They're just laughing with you. Oh, and your break is almost over."

evilfunkyogi
Jun 27, 2005
:effort:
Didn't Harry Kim never get a promotion because Garret Wang was late to meetings or always getting high in his trailer or something?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

You could do a "Chief O'Brien at Work" cartoon for Harry Kim, but no one would even read it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cessna posted:

You could do a "Chief O'Brien at Work" cartoon for Harry Kim, but no one would even read it.

I tried to access "Ensign Kim at Work" but I was locked out.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

evilfunkyogi posted:

Didn't Harry Kim never get a promotion because Garret Wang was late to meetings or always getting high in his trailer or something?

I think he was consistently late to set, and there are stories about him and Beltran hotboxing the shuttlecraft set lmao

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I would love to smoke weed with Harry Kim and chakotay

I bet Tuvok loves to get lit too

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tuvok definitely does not toke. He lacks any and all chill.

I think he's more of a PCP kinda guy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
You are wrong. The current level of chill Tuvok has is because he is INCREDIBLY high. You do not want to see him sober.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Al Borland Corpse posted:

You are wrong. The current level of chill Tuvok has is because he is INCREDIBLY high. You do not want to see him sober.

This is the correct take

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Al Borland Corpse posted:

We refer to them as 'traditional Vulcan meditation techniques.' This ties back to that discussion of how the Universal Translator doesn't translate certain words; turns out 'Kohlinar' translates as 'weed master.'

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Traditional Vulcan meditation techniques, like edging and kegels.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Tuvok's secret? He's always pon farr.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Its once every seven years. They've got to make it count.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Don't forget the topless massage.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

He's outranked by random terrorists who just magically get to be higher up than him

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheCenturion posted:

Don't forget the topless massage.

And the bottomless plomeek soup!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
He's stern, logical, and he's horny as hell

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

He's outranked by random terrorists who just magically get to be higher up than him

Anyone other than reinstated commander akoochymoya and Chief Engineer Angrypants?

It would be odd for the chief engineer to be outranked by a n00b

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Harry was outranked by the chicken soup machine technicians.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Harry was outranked by the chicken soup machine technicians.

Those smegheads?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That is absolutely the best.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Past Tense continues to be the most relevant Star Trek episode I'm aware of.

"It's not your fault things are the way they are."
"Everybody tells themselves that. And nothing ever changes."

Plus that brutal ending.

edit: lol god drat. In the next episode Bashir called Winn a coward to her face. Good poo poo. God I love this show.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 13, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I mean, they were Starfleet before, I think? Paris outranks him and they literally pulled him out of prison just for the mission. They had zero reason to reinstate Tom before getting stranded in the Delta Quadrant.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I mean, they were Starfleet before, I think? Paris outranks him and they literally pulled him out of prison just for the mission. They had zero reason to reinstate Tom before getting stranded in the Delta Quadrant.

paris is stupid. he's a dumb stupid moron.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The really depressing thing is that the Sanctuary Districts are probably preferable to the "poverty, lack of healthcare, and drug addiction will take care of this problem for us" direction we're going in at present. :smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

After The War posted:

The really depressing thing is that the Sanctuary Districts are probably preferable to the "poverty, lack of healthcare, and drug addiction will take care of this problem for us" direction we're going in at present. :smith:

They are literally better than parts of modern-day San Francisco.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

All that cash Kirk sunk into the Beast Style is finally paying off.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's because he was an ace pilot for their Badlands mission.

Which is dumb, but I guess their computers can't fly for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The Bloop posted:

It's because he was an ace pilot for their Badlands mission.

Which is dumb, but I guess their computers can't fly for poo poo.

I know that, I mean the whole "put him in uniform and give him a commission" part. Just make him do the job with freedom after.