Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It totally is, it's just the genre of Scorcese film that guys don't have dorm room posters of.

Yeah I was gonna say. Last temptation is honestly everything Scorcese is about in one movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Insatiable on Netflix is actually pretty good. It looked bad and had terrible reviews but some people here seemed to like it so I gave it a shot. The first few episodes kind of suck but it gets much better. Although now in the back half it's pivoting towards drama and less comedy but does it pretty well. Lots of good heartfelt moments and 2d characters get fleshed out.

I'd recommend it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I have to watch Apostle because I have to watch everything about isolated cults, even if I'm sometimes very disappointed (that Hulu show).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Currently watching The Haunting of Hill House and it is bone chilling.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just started this half an hour ago. Shows promise.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

im on ep 5 and its legit so far.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The adult Steven so far kind of reminds me of John Rayburn from Bloodline. Not saying the actors look similar I mean something about the one character reminds me of the other.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Well poo poo, I usually ignore tv horror but I might give it whirl.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tagichatn posted:

Insatiable on Netflix is actually pretty good. It looked bad and had terrible reviews but some people here seemed to like it so I gave it a shot. The first few episodes kind of suck but it gets much better. Although now in the back half it's pivoting towards drama and less comedy but does it pretty well. Lots of good heartfelt moments and 2d characters get fleshed out.

I'd recommend it.

It goes places, that's for sure.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Apostle:

"Don't you see? That thing will kill you unless I kill you!"

"Is this the love of which you speak?" "Well, if you killed her like he says, then, well, yeah."

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 13, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Here's what Hill House is about, at least through episode 7, if you're on the fence. I've put this in spoiler tags even though it contains only the absolute lightest of spoilers:

Drug addiction sucks, suicide sucks, home repair sucks, family is hard, marriage is hard, and all of these things are really not helped by a bunch of weird frightening supernatural poo poo going on while you deal with them.

It's good.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Lycus posted:

I have to watch Apostle because I have to watch everything about isolated cults, even if I'm sometimes very disappointed (that Hulu show).

Which Hulu show is that?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Zwabu posted:

Which Hulu show is that?

I think he is talking about The Path. I love cult type stuff too, but I couldn’t make it through the first season myself.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The cult was just so boring. I want creepiness, not a hippie self-help group.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

I think he is talking about The Path. I love cult type stuff too, but I couldn’t make it through the first season myself.

Isn't this loosely based on NXIVM, that cult with the girl from Smallville?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The Apostle is like practically every other Netflix original movie. All the right ingredients are there but it never really cooks up into anything special. It just feels Netflix-y.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Really starting to think the whole "ya we're netflix go ahead Mr. Director and make the movie you wanted to make with no studio notes or oversight" thing might be a mistake. Mute, Hold the Dark, and now Apostle. In every case the script is clearly miguided and needs rewrites, and you know a decent producer would've spotted these issues and maybe found a way to keep the interesting elements but made it work. But at Netflix, they just give them the money, and you can just FEEL the things going off the rails as you're watching

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I really wanted to like Apostle. I like Gareth Evans movies, and the promo material made it sound like a feature length Safe Haven, but it just... never really does anything with its themes and characters. Where Safe Haven slowly escalated in to supernatural horror and then kept going, Apostle implies its building to something but never commits to anything long enough to do so and when stuff finally does start happening its on such a small scale and with motivations that don't make much sense. I wish Netflix would have just paid Evans to make Raid 3.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I don't know what the process for Netflix Originals is, but Christopher McQuarrie is very open about how he works with the studio and tests and re-tests and re-tests his movies and even if he disagrees with the studio or test audience notes, he'll sit down and examine why he might be getting those notes and is always willing to try to figure out what isn't working.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bullet3 posted:

Really starting to think the whole "ya we're netflix go ahead Mr. Director and make the movie you wanted to make with no studio notes or oversight" thing might be a mistake. Mute, Hold the Dark, and now Apostle. In every case the script is clearly miguided and needs rewrites, and you know a decent producer would've spotted these issues and maybe found a way to keep the interesting elements but made it work. But at Netflix, they just give them the money, and you can just FEEL the things going off the rails as you're watching

You know what, I really like that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Agreed. it's a pretty cool strategy tbh. Yeah, a few cool directors have made some mediocre films over 2018 but I have hard time pointing the finger at Netflix giving them too much freedom. Surely Moon, Green Room and Blue Ruin weren't good because of a bunch of studio execs chopping them down beforehand. Sometimes an interesting director just makes a dud and weirdly it's happened multiple times with Netflix movies recently. I'd still be excited to see any of them return and do another film for Netflix.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'm 5 episodes into the Haunting of Hill House and it lives up to the hype so far.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BigglesSWE posted:

The Last Temptation of Christ is on my Netflix feed. I should see this, if I generally like Scorsese, yes?

yes

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Haunting of Hill House is legit good with some proper jump scares and general creepiness. Also keep an eye on the background for added chills

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3526189/look-hidden-ghosts-including-mike-flanagan-cameos-haunting-hill-house-exclusive/

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I didn't think there were that many ghosts hidden in the background. Pretty cool. It's a legitimately creepy show. I'm only partway in -- is this a one-and-done series or are are more seasons a possibility?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The jump scare in Episode 8 of Hill House is loving horrifying

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The statues change stances a lot too.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I didn't think there were that many ghosts hidden in the background. Pretty cool. It's a legitimately creepy show. I'm only partway in -- is this a one-and-done series or are are more seasons a possibility?

A second season hasn't been ruled out but there are no solid plans for one at the moment.

Piell fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 14, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
How does Hill House compare to season one of American Horror Story? I liked AHS at the time, but that show can't keep a coherent storyline going and has problems trying to be edgy with shock value.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, they stick a lot of out-of-focus ghosts in the background without stinger music in Hill House.

Piell posted:

The statues change stances a lot too.

A second season hasn't been ruled out but there are no solid plans for one at the moment.

Yeah, they'd label it "limited series" if they were adamant they weren't gonna renew it. So they're at least thinking about it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 14, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

LifeLynx posted:

How does Hill House compare to season one of American Horror Story? I liked AHS at the time, but that show can't keep a coherent storyline going and has problems trying to be edgy with shock value.
I wasn't a big fan of AHS and stopped watching it after a few seasons for the above reasons. I'm partly through episode five of The Haunting of Hill House and if it keeps this up, it's a must-watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I have to imagine a lot of what makes Hill House better right off the bat is that it's one season and not seven.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I have to imagine a lot of what makes Hill House better right off the bat is that it's one season and not seven.

They're asking about a specific single season. It's an anthology show.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

I'mm glad to hear it finishes an arc. But man, is that house just loving mean sometimes. Poor Nellie. =(

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Each season of AHS is a different story though, with maybe some of the same cast, right? I'll offer a lukewarm defense because Ive only seen Asylum, but i loved it to death the way they crammed so much into one season (i was officially not going to stop watching once freakin aliens from space showed up out of nowhere)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lycus posted:

They're asking about a specific single season. It's an anthology show.

I know, I watch AHS and it's much more "mythology" than "anthology", everybody who watches that show is in jail with it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Inspector Hound posted:

Each season of AHS is a different story though, with maybe some of the same cast, right? I'll offer a lukewarm defense because Ive only seen Asylum, but i loved it to death the way they crammed so much into one season (i was officially not going to stop watching once freakin aliens from space showed up out of nowhere)

Some seasons bleed into others though, and the upcoming (current?) season is a direct follow-up to seasons 1 & 3.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Episode 6 of Haunting of Hill House was a series of 10ish minute continuous shots and it was fantastic. If they can end on a good note this could be one of the best Netflix originals.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Not finished, but Hill House very much reminds me of The Shining. I'm waiting for Carla Gugino to be chasing Nell through a hedge maze.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Some seasons bleed into others though, and the upcoming (current?) season is a direct follow-up to seasons 1 & 3.

Oh, I haven't seen it in years, I didn't know they were pulling that now. In any event, I get that they were asking about S1 in isolation.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I think this would have been a nice thing for him to have stayed quiet on, at least until everyone has watched it already. For me it just kind of turned it into a Where's Waldo thing where I'm spotting ghosts, rewinding to make sure and checking off a box...Stating it outright just kind of makes a game out of something that might have spooked me or put me at unease otherwise.

So far I dig the show though. I think TV horror usually misses the mark on the "horror" aspect of everything because it's pretty hard to do in long form. This show seems to have a nice balance of drama and scares, although some of the latter fail and are pretty corny. There is some ace horror in there though. The ending of the first episode had me hooked.