Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

"boof" is what large dogs say instead of woof, because they're big.

Somewhere in the depths of my mind it sounds like a 70s term for fuckin and that would track I guess but it's all moot now anyway, if it ever wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve only ever heard boof referring to popping pills in your butt and I gotta tell you it sounds dumb but holy gently caress does it work. If I ever heard an adult refer to sex as boofing I’d immediately question the legitimacy of their sexual career in its entirety.

The first time I boofed something I was convinced my friends had tricked me and there was no way it really worked and I was just silly for putting an e pill in my rear end and by the time I made back from the bathroom to the bedroom I was completely loving bombed. It’s INSANE how quickly it works.

I just seriously doubt kids in 82 had good e-pills so they must have been boofing, like, qualudes or some poo poo.

Also Atomizer, it might not have been racist but you’re absolutely not using patois correctly and backing up your weird choice with Rick & Morty makes you sound like a reddit troll so maybe take a step back from defending your hella dumb turn of phrase my dawg

If you're trying to trick me into cramming drugs up my butt tonight, I want you to know it 100% worked so congrats

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve only ever heard boof referring to popping pills in your butt and I gotta tell you it sounds dumb but holy gently caress does it work. If I ever heard an adult refer to sex as boofing I’d immediately question the legitimacy of their sexual career in its entirety.

The first time I boofed something I was convinced my friends had tricked me and there was no way it really worked and I was just silly for putting an e pill in my rear end and by the time I made back from the bathroom to the bedroom I was completely loving bombed. It’s INSANE how quickly it works.

I just seriously doubt kids in 82 had good e-pills so they must have been boofing, like, qualudes or some poo poo.

Also Atomizer, it might not have been racist but you’re absolutely not using patois correctly and backing up your weird choice with Rick & Morty makes you sound like a reddit troll so maybe take a step back from defending your hella dumb turn of phrase my dawg

Considering how "patois" doesn't even have an "official," strict definition, how I used it is exactly correct, especially considering it was chosen specifically for that reference. And "turn of phrase" isn't even remotely appropriate in that context. Plus, no, I loving hate Reddit, if anything I'm the gooniest troll but I was being serious here because it was obviously relevant to the discussion (previous post described "boofing" in Australia vs. the US.) I'm not sure what the hell is going on in your mind, but maybe shove a little fewer drugs up your rear end?

SiKboy posted:

Welp, he likes rick and morty and used the word "thereof" in a sentence, I guess he's off the hook for sounding kinda racist. Thems the rules.

Yeah, I like Rick & Morty, and I quote it (and Family Guy, South Park, The Simpsons, Aqua Teen, etc.) IRL all the time. So yeah, I'm that guy, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

And uh, yes, I do frequently use various words in a sentence, so, uh, maybe lay off the boofing yourself because that's the most absurd criticism thus far?

Plus, what I originally wrote wasn't even remotely racist, because it literally had nothing to do with race. It's clear that you have no loving clue what racism is, so you might want to do a little research first before accusing anyone of it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Atomizer posted:

Plus, what I originally wrote wasn't even remotely racist, because it literally had nothing to do with race. It's clear that you have no loving clue what racism is, so you might want to do a little research first before accusing anyone of it.

Acting like language being described as "urban" isn't intrinsically interlinked with race in an American context is either ignorant or disingenuous. It is clear that you have no loving clue what racism is, so you might want to do a little research first before acting like you are above inadvertently saying racially coded things.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Soothing Vapors posted:

If you're trying to trick me into cramming drugs up my butt tonight, I want you to know it 100% worked so congrats

Just doing God’s work bruv

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dancer posted:

Acting like language being described as "urban" isn't intrinsically interlinked with race in an American context is either ignorant or disingenuous. It is clear that you have no loving clue what racism is, so you might want to do a little research first before acting like you are above inadvertently saying racially coded things.

Urban settings are often quite loving diverse even if certain areas can be more concentrated by language, ethnicity, and so on, (e.g. Chinatown, Little Italy, etc.) Describing something as "urban" is in no way racist by default, and certainly not in context. In my example, the speech pattern described is appropriately attributed to a more urban demographic, because it sure as gently caress isn't native to, say, Texas or Minnesota. There was no "coding" involved (except that it was a loving R&M reference) because it was an appropriate descriptor of the dialect referenced.

The assumption that some of you are making that "urban=racist" shows your own biases, not mine. You clearly don't understand racism, because there was none implied in what I posted. You want an example of racism? How about if someone were to describe Latin American and/or Caribbean nations that are largely populated by those of Native American and/or African descent as "shithole countries," and to clarify the point, describe Norway as containing desirable immigrants? One doesn't have to be biased against the people referenced to understand that the speaker clearly implied that those with brown/black skin are inferior to those with "white" skin (i.e. "Chalkasians"); that's overt racism. Saying that some groups in a generic "urban" [implied to be US-based] setting speak in a given way (a dialect) is just an observation; it's literally linguistics.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Atomizer posted:

Urban settings are often quite loving diverse

"No guys, it's totally cool cause I'm being racist towards multiple ethnicities"

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Fuuuuuuuck yooooooooou guyyyyyyys. STOP IT!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

"No guys, it's totally cool cause I'm being racist towards multiple ethnicities"

Except that's even further from what I did. :stare: I would genuinely like to hear what you think the definition of "racism" is, and then how you think me making a Rick & Morty reference is racist. No please, go ahead, I'll wait! :allears:

However...

GutBomb posted:

Fuuuuuuuck yooooooooou guyyyyyyys. STOP IT!

...he's got the right idea. This is getting tiring, arguing with idiots who throw out accusations of racism while not actually knowing what it is. Nobody wins here. This is all loving pointless. I just want a new episode of LWT. :(

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I didn't mean to have this blow up, but the entire point I was trying to make was that it was an odd loving thing to throw in there. Why would you even be thinking "Oh right, I heard the urbans say boof but it's just them trying to pronounce 'booth', I'd better share that with everyone"? It is vaguely racist. Not explicitly racist in a way that I can enunciate, but it does make people think.

Also, not everyone catches your sick Rick n Morty reference when you italicize urban patois.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Atomizer posted:

Urban settings are often quite loving diverse even if certain areas can be more concentrated by language, ethnicity, and so on, (e.g. Chinatown, Little Italy, etc.) Describing something as "urban" is in no way racist by default, and certainly not in context. In my example, the speech pattern described is appropriately attributed to a more urban demographic, because it sure as gently caress isn't native to, say, Texas or Minnesota. There was no "coding" involved (except that it was a loving R&M reference) because it was an appropriate descriptor of the dialect referenced.

The assumption that some of you are making that "urban=racist" shows your own biases, not mine. You clearly don't understand racism, because there was none implied in what I posted. You want an example of racism? How about if someone were to describe Latin American and/or Caribbean nations that are largely populated by those of Native American and/or African descent as "shithole countries," and to clarify the point, describe Norway as containing desirable immigrants? One doesn't have to be biased against the people referenced to understand that the speaker clearly implied that those with brown/black skin are inferior to those with "white" skin (i.e. "Chalkasians"); that's overt racism. Saying that some groups in a generic "urban" [implied to be US-based] setting speak in a given way (a dialect) is just an observation; it's literally linguistics.

You don't get to single-handedly decide the meaning of language. Describing language as "Urban" is racially coded. Just because you didn't mean to imply a thing, doesn't mean that you succesfully didn't imply the thing. You're the billionth fragile white guy to not understand every single facet of racial interactions (which is entirely ok! Nobody understands everything and everyone makes mistakes and that's how they learn) and then get pissy when people explain to you a layer you missed.

Also, if you want to play "I'm the adult in the room, can we stop this pointless conversation", maybe don't call people idiots while you're at it.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Shoving E pulls up your butt is called parachuting you crazies.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TheBizzness posted:

Shame we still don't have a term for shoving a vodka soaked tampon up one's rear end. :smith:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

That's a Slurpy Sergei. If you use tequila instead it becomes a Slurpy Miguel

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I thought parachuting was swallowing the drug wrapped in a condom so you can throw it back up later once smuggled past the guards

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

They might be using it to refer to drinking by giving themselves a beer enema. I don't know if that's been around that long but it is a thing people do sometimes and it's a similar sort of thing where it skips your stomach so more alcohol gets absorbed by your intestines.

Incidentally the "more (something) gets absorbed by your intestines" is also why it's dangerous because there's a reason why your stomach acts as kind of a first line of defense against ingesting things that are bad for you.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Parachuting: the "Rusty Venture" of the John Oliver thread.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I didn't mean to have this blow up, but the entire point I was trying to make was that it was an odd loving thing to throw in there. Why would you even be thinking "Oh right, I heard the urbans say boof but it's just them trying to pronounce 'booth', I'd better share that with everyone"? It is vaguely racist. Not explicitly racist in a way that I can enunciate, but it does make people think.

Also, not everyone catches your sick Rick n Morty reference when you italicize urban patois.

I totally understand that not everybody would catch the reference, but to be fair, the fact that it was an oddly specific phrase should've suggested that it came from somewhere and isn't something that people casually throw around. (And also, we are having this discussion within the TV subforum where contemporary shows are discussed, and there's a R&M megathread on to of that, so it's not like I pulled an esoteric reference out of my rear end. It's fine that you don't watch R&M, but it's also not weird that I watch a popular show.)

Out of curiosity, if I had linked the clip in the original response, would that have changed your interpretation of it?

Phenotype posted:

It is vaguely racist. Not explicitly racist in a way that I can enunciate, but it does make people think.

This here is the problem. You need to be able to explain why something's racist if you're going to accuse somebody of it! The fact that, by your own admission, you cannot suggests that you don't actually understand the topic, which is totally fine and we can discuss it. I'll refer you back to my previous post where I gave you a specific example of racism, the "shithole countries" thing.

Dancer posted:

You don't get to single-handedly decide the meaning of language. Describing language as "Urban" is racially coded. Just because you didn't mean to imply a thing, doesn't mean that you succesfully didn't imply the thing. You're the billionth fragile white guy to not understand every single facet of racial interactions (which is entirely ok! Nobody understands everything and everyone makes mistakes and that's how they learn) and then get pissy when people explain to you a layer you missed.

Also, if you want to play "I'm the adult in the room, can we stop this pointless conversation", maybe don't call people idiots while you're at it.

Again, I'm not determining "the meaning of language," I was making a specific reference to a TV show to make a point (so in other words, the phrase itself doesn't even originate with myself.) "Urban" is in no way "racially coded," with regards to language or otherwise, because of the sheer diversity of urban inhabitants; it only defines the type of human settlement, not the inhabitants therein. Within a given urban setting (i.e. a single large American city) you can easily find many different dialects of English being spoken alone, let alone other languages. Within context, however, someone like a MAGA CHUD could say something like "I'm not a filthy urban" and that would have a racist subtext. The racist aspect is heavily dependent on context, and in the phrase I borrowed there's literally nothing racist about it; as I wrote, your own bias triggered your racist thoughts. A statement like, "I live in a rural, not urban area," is NOT racist, even if some ideas come to your mind about the types of people who live in rural and/or urban areas.

The fact that you can't separate an innocuous usage of "urban" from your own inner feelings (apparently of something along the lines of "urban=this guy doesn't like the browns!!!") heavily suggests that you're of the "fragile white guy" persuasion, and that you, like Phenotype, can't actually define "racism."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I myself can't explain exactly why that's racist, but I'm sure someone more educated than me could do it pretty easily. That's why I thought it sounded "vaguely racist". And that whole word salad suggests that you're a "fragile white guy" who hasn't figured out that we don't actually get to define all these things and tell people how they're allowed to feel about them.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I thought parachuting was swallowing the drug wrapped in a condom so you can throw it back up later once smuggled past the guards

I had a college roommate who did a lot of Adderall, and he would talk about having to parachute his pills sometimes but I didn't know what it meant until I saw him do it one time.

He crushed the pill up between two quarters then put the powder in a small piece of toilet paper and took it with some water. He said the pills were XR which apparently means extended release, and he was grinding it up to get the full dose all at once?

IDK, he was an annoying dude so who knows how accurate his terminology is. Plus he'd never listen to me when I told him that crushing up and snorting Xanax pills wasn't going to change anything about the effects.

I never got in touch with him after we moved out of that place, I wonder if he ever graduated or got his poo poo together...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Atomizer posted:

Out of curiosity, if I had linked the clip in the original response, would that have changed your interpretation of it?

Ha ha ha, I went back and watched that episode (season 2, "Auto Erotic Assimilation") and the context of the quote was that the incredibly naive and stupid character Jerry was trying to use cool "hip hop" phrases and when he got called out on it he responded with "Stop shifting the crosshairs to my ironic urban patois". (The overall themes of the episode were hiveminds, race wars, and that Jerry and Beth are really lovely people who do and say really lovely things. They actually introduce an alien character voiced by Patton Oswalt who is a horrible murdering, baby-eating monster with Space AIDS just so he can do a big speech at the end telling Jerry and Beth "I'm really loving awful but at least I'm not you guys.")

The fact that you unironically quoted Jerry and then decided you were going to die on that hill is honestly pretty drat embarrassing, but even though Jerry is an incredible moron and a genuinely lovely pathetic human being even he wasn't dumb enough to use the phrase "urban patois" without qualifying it as being "ironic". So not only were you trying to emulate Jerry, you managed to be dumber and more naive than him which is a genuinely remarkable achievement. Holy poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phenotype posted:

I myself can't explain exactly why that's racist, but I'm sure someone more educated than me could do it pretty easily. That's why I thought it sounded "vaguely racist". And that whole word salad suggests that you're a "fragile white guy" who hasn't figured out that we don't actually get to define all these things and tell people how they're allowed to feel about them.

Its actually kind of simple. Lots of racist people use "urban" as a racist code word and demean POC with thinks like "speaking properly". So when someone kind of randomly starts talking about "urban" mispronunciations its gonna raise some eyebrows. The OP might not have intended it that way or even been aware of it, but he still spoke in the same way a lot of racists do so its understandable that it drew some attention.

The reasonable thing to do is to apologize for the ambiguous choice of words and joke that didn't go over, and try and find a way to communicate better from both ends. Doubling down and insisting that the people calling "racism" are the TRUE racists is yet another thing those previously mentioned racists tend to do which then starts the cycle over again.

At the very least at some point the world is broken up between people who say "This isn't working, maybe I need to step back and find a better way to do it" and people who say "No, I'm doing everything right and the problem is everyone else."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
“Urban” was a word used by the music industry, particularly radio, as a catch all phrase for a meta-genre of music that primarily appeals to black people. This would mix hip-hop, R&B, etc. in the UK, the BBC refers to this sort of format simply as “black music” in the case of BBC Radio 1X; but in America’s melting pot there’s plenty of black people from Latino, Caribbean, and other backgrounds, and to assign them all to the inner-city subculture isn’t appropriate.

The problem is the racists can co-opt language as fast as we can invent it, and so it’s become re-appropriated for complaining about black people without REALLY complaining about black people. Using it as a term for inner city black subculture isn’t inherently offensive by nature, but the right-wing ruined the word some years ago and you should stop using it or else you’re this close to being the guy who uses “the blacks” in the midst of articulating an anti-racist opinion.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 13, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's true and fair. As you said its just been co-opted. That doesn't mean you're a racist if you say it, but if a bunch of people note that you just said what the racist people say you should take a step back and say "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn't think about how the phrase had dual usage, I'm not one of those guys and that's not what I intended."

Not "Maybe its YOU who sees race in that word and has a problem." Because that wasn't some invention of the posters. Its absolutely a thing for that wording to be used with racist intent. And it kind of sounds like the joke he was referring to might have been about that? But I've never seen the show so I really can't speak to that part of it).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

TheBizzness posted:

Shoving E pills up your butt is called shelving you crazies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Obviously there's only one way we can possibly solve this, so I'm gonna go shove pills up some people's butts and see what they call it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TheBizzness posted:

Nah that’s when you take a small piece of paper or tissue or something and wrap your powder up in it and swallow it because you don’t have any gelcaps

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bust Rodd posted:

Nah that’s when you take a small piece of paper or tissue or something and wrap your powder up in it and swallow it because you don’t have any gelcaps

What? No, that's called bombing.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is it offensive to say "black people" in America?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

What? No, that's called bombing.

Drug use is swathed in colloquialism, who knew? :shrug:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Bust Rodd posted:

Wait people actually do this instead of just, like, having it with a yogurt or something? Yikes.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

depends on the tone of voice

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Phenotype posted:

depends on the tone of voice

I mean in a normal, healthy tone. To me the term "African American" has always seemed racist, like "oh you're black, you're not a real American, like this white person. You're from Africa!" like, what?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, there is definitely a community of people who don't like the African American term, simply because they do not identify with Africa in anyway. They prefer "black" or a more specific phrase such as Jamaican American of Haitian American etc., as any ties to Africa have been obscured over the years.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There were a number of terms that were used to be more proper, and most of them were also discarded. I'm not sure why, or what baggage they carry. "African American" came around and was put into all the official places, but at that point people were also comfortable enough to just say black. "African American" also doesn't work for people who aren't american, so it's fairly limited.

There are also a bunch of terms that were abandoned because of the popular understanding of race shifted. Nobody cares about the distinction of an "octaroon" anymore, which is probably for the best.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

There were a number of terms that were used to be more proper, and most of them were also discarded. I'm not sure why, or what baggage they carry. "African American" came around and was put into all the official places, but at that point people were also comfortable enough to just say black. "African American" also doesn't work for people who aren't american, so it's fairly limited.

There are also a bunch of terms that were abandoned because of the popular understanding of race shifted. Nobody cares about the distinction of an "octaroon" anymore, which is probably for the best.

Funny you bring up "octaroon," because I'm pretty sure "quadroon" is used multiple times in Archer. Archer believes Lana to be a quadroon in the early episodes. In one of the last non-dream seasons, we see that her dad appears to be black (and not half-black). When their child is born, Pam does call her a quadroon. (Also, Lana is repeatedly referred to as a "negress" throughout the series, but almost always by characters for whom English isn't their first language.)

I'm pretty sure using Archer to determine whether or not something is racist isn't really a good idea, but I never expected to see the word "octaroon" used in any context in TV IV outside of an Archer thread.

"I don't mean to sound racist—"
"But your'e gonna power through it!"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only use of those words nowadays is another way to figure out if someone is a racist rear end in a top hat.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
“African American” also omits people from the Caribbean and other places, which is part of the reason you began seeing thinkpieces questioning the term and slowly eroding it from the public vernacular. You began seeing black voices saying, “I’ve never been to Africa, and never spoken to a relative who has been to Africa. Why am I being called this?”

Race is just a really complicated thing in America, and making a singular black culture or black label ignores that there’s a lot of black backgrounds with little in common aside from “racists seem to hate all of them”. African-Americans is a label that seemed designed for people whose ancestors were slaves, ignoring other populations.

To get too deep into it would be better served in TGRS with more black posters, but basically American liberalism has regularly tried to box all of black culture into the “descendants of slaves” experience; and it really wasn’t until the Obama family that white people especially acknowledge any other background.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
DL Hughley has a good joke in his new special about how he doesn’t want to use Ancestry.com to find out where he’s from because he doesn’t like the idea of getting stolen and then paying a bunch of white scientists to tell him where they stole him from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Alan_Shore posted:

As everyone else is saying, it's complicated. Historically, "black" was an impolite term, like "yellow" to describe someone from Asia. "Negro" or "colored" were polite terms once upon a time (hence the NAACP), but obviously are not anymore, though "person of color" is definitely a thing in academic and social justice contexts.

It's obviously context-dependent, and varies based on who you ask. But anecdotally, people I know identify as "black." Which makes sense: "black" describes your appearance more than your origins, and that's how race actually works. You're treated as black regardless of whether you're descended from antebellum slaves or moved from Benin a year ago.

• Locked thread