Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Will let vote go until tomorrow morning. Currently 10-6 for sleeping with Utena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Patter Song posted:

Will let vote go until tomorrow morning. Currently 10-6 for sleeping with Utena.

Phrasing.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Given this series, I'm sure that was deliberate

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Well, see, I could have phrased it differently, but

I didn't

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Dallbun posted:

Well, see, I could have phrased it differently, but

I didn't

It's a shame the game doesn't let us "sleep with" Anthy in this vote.

"Hey, Anthy? Are you still awake?"

:geno:

"Thanks so much for letting me share your bunk! I was really afraid of sleeping on the floor by myself."

"Are you really the Chairman's sister? He's really handsome."

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Welp, no new votes, so we are going to bed with Utena next time.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Patter Song posted:

It's a shame the game doesn't let us "sleep with" Anthy in this vote.

"Hey, Anthy? Are you still awake?"

"Thanks so much for letting me share your bunk! I was really afraid of sleeping on the floor by myself."

"Are you really the Chairman's sister? He's really handsome."

Do you want cantarella in your tea? Because that's how you get cantarella in your tea.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I wouldn't want to sleep in Anthy's bed anyway. I bet it's full of snails! What a weirdo!

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Blue Labrador posted:

I wouldn't want to sleep in Anthy's bed anyway. I bet it's full of snails! What a weirdo!

:five:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Great content, people. This is what the thread's for. High quality Utena jokes.

Update tomorrow. We're starting Day 2!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Chapter XI: Actually, Wakaba, the One I Like Is...

Last time, we decided to go have a totally Platonic, normal sleepover with Utena. Nothing odd about that! Well, nothing odd except arbitrarily deciding to climb into our classmate's bed, but details.

Soundtrack: Premonition in the Eyes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_LVeDKtUM This track seems to be an andante, smooth jazz-ish rendition of Rinbu Revolution, the Utena Opening Credits song.

A very familiar set from the series. Many scenes are in this room. Lots of attention to detail in this game in recreating memorable locations.

Patter Song: Hey, Utena. Are you asleep?

Utena: No, not yet.

Patter Song: ...Actually, I have no bedding. So, uh...

Patter Song: Thank you, Utena!

Patter Song is clearly in :swoon: mode right now. Look at her.

Patter Song: Yeah...

This sentence makes absolutely no sense.

Utena: Suddenly getting thrown into the duels and the Rose Bride thing, and the Sword of Dios...

Patter Song: Oh, the Dueling Game that you told me about at lunch.

Anthy's in the bottom bunk listening to Utena refer to her as "the Rose Bride thing," minimizing the very serious situation she's in as the Dueling Game, and, oh yeah, Utena's in bed with someone who isn't Anthy. Anthy is :geno: or even :) on the surface, but just one level down she's probably in full on

mode. Anthy can get pretty territorial. Back to your regularly-scheduled LP in progress:

Patter Song: Mmm...

Utena: Well, I guess after doing it a few times, I'm starting to get used to it. Anyway, don't worry. I believe that you're not the Duelist.

Patter Song: Utena...

OK, so...I'm trying my hardest to come up with original jokes and observations in this thread, but sometimes, someone else said what needs to be said much better than you can, and sometimes, the person who said it is reading your thread and will notice if you reword his observation, and I know there's no way I can ever match the perfection of this:

Dallbun posted:

"There's no way you're a Duelist, D-ko. Duelists are all charismatic, strong-willed, beautiful people!"

Utena saying that we're not a Duelist comes across as a backhanded compliment at best because all the Duelists (actually including Utena herself!) are at the very top of Ohtori society. Some of them may be jackasses like Saionji or scheming, manipulative plotters like Touga, but these are the people who run Ohtori life. Utena's casually telling us she doesn't see us as Duelist material would be a withering blow if Patter Song weren't too stupid to understand subtext. She is who she is and we are who we are, though, so...

Patter Song: Thank you, Utena.

And scene! That does it for Day 1, but let's play a bit further.

Manual saves. Pah.

Soundtrack: Eyecatch II https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMCC09wRjSU

I love that it plays the Eyecatch music during the loading screen.

Another day at Ohtori! Enjoy it while it lasts...we've been told we'll disappear the day after tomorrow.

Soundtrack: Campus Lyric https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=270vPdVVJ74

Patter Song: (Alright, it's my second day here! Although yesterday I wasn't able to ease into my own pace at all...I need to properly experience my classes, club activites, and stuff! The first thing is to start actively talking to my classmates. Now who should I talk to...? Come to think of it, that Wakaba girl said she knew the campus really well. Maybe I should ask her who the interesting people are.)

Talk to Wakaba...OK, Protagonist-Us, that's a plan I can get behind. Actually, maybe make that all we do? Like, for the rest of the game?

Wakaba: Good morning! What are your impressions of Ohtori after your first day?

Lots of phalluses, flowers, androgyny, and over-the-top opulence.

Patter Song: Well, I guess it's so gorgeous and luxuriant that it's kind of overwhelming. I was pretty flustered at the masquerade last night...

Or that.

Wakaba now has two protagonist best friends to bitterly resent the plot importance of. She takes it in stride, though.

Wakaba: So how was it? Was there anyone who caught your eye?

Patter Song: Huh?

Wakaba: Don't play innocent! The Student Council members were there last night too, right? There's no way a girl wouldn't hanker after at least one of them, right?

Actually–

Wakaba, the truth is– :blush:

Wakaba, the one I want is–

:sigh: No travels to the Onion Kingdom for us. Also, to protect Dallbun's honor, I should say that I have an early version of the translation patch and that errors like "Saijonji" there are fixed in the most recent version.

Vote time is going to work a bit differently this time! Wakaba is an expert gossip and doesn't need to stop at just one crush. She will let us name one or two people we're interested in.

Choices are:
Utena, the other protagonist whom we slept with last night.
Jury, the cool older girl who is into girls who scared off the creepy boys who tried to hit on us.
Saionji.
Touga, the handsome Student Council President who may or may not be related to us.
Miki, the boy with pretty blue eyes whom we did terrible comedy routine in front of and probably made him question our sanity.
???, who promised to take the Rose Bride from Utena, revealed that she had a Duelist ring, and threatened to make us disappear forever.

Our current relations are:

Vote the following way:

A totally normal thread reader posted:

We haven't seen enough of Utena lately, and I'm curious to see where Touga's subplot goes.

1. Utena.
2. Touga.

The order the names are in doesn't matter. The two characters with the highest vote counts win. However, since you can vote for one OR two people, you could also do this.

A bad person posted:

I think Patter Song has too much joy and should suffer!

1. Saionji
2. No One.

In this vote, No One is counted as a character. If No One is either first or second, cumulatively, we will only confess our love of one person to Wakaba.

Is this clear? I think this is the only vote where this will come up. I hate explaining this vote, as it feels like assigning homework. Of course, Something Awful users are a bright lot, you'll figure it out. Until next time, The Absolute Destiny Apocalypse!

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
As a not quite completely normal thread reader my choices are:

[b]1. Miki[b] This gives us the best chance of avoiding Touga's potentially incestuous weirdness.

[b]2. Jury[b] She has problems that she dosen't want to talk about, but she means well.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the vote! By the way, your second HTML tag needs a / in it to work, like this: [/b].

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The boys are terminally lame and/or creepy, so Jury and Utena.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

???, she seems like a good, stable person and is obviously not the culprit or engaged in anything suspicious in any way.
Jury seemed like she wasn't shockingly maladjusted.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Jury for no real reason other than she's my favourite

and

??? because I want to know what their deal is and I would also like to see how the game spins it that the protag has a crush on them after being threatened.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
We seem to be hitting it off with Utena, and also I like the cut of ????'s jib

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Jury because she rules and Mysterious Person because poor protagonist-chan has horrific taste, in true RGU fashion.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

??? because mysterious lovers are the best lovers and Saionji because someone is legally required to vote for him.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'm going to say...

1. Juri
2. Miki

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Jury because Jury is great.
Touga because all aboard the trainwreck and no one's going to vote for him anyways. (The actual answers I should support are Utena, and ???? for the other trainwreck, in that order.)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jury, seems fun and we, hopefully, won't incur the wrath of Anthy. :ohdear:
???, because I want to know!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think we could resolve one of the tragedies in this story if we become Juri's girlfriend. The other options seem to offer no significance to our character.

1. Jury
2. no one

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
1. has to be Juri, of course.
For 2, I think clearly it needs to be ???. They're so mysterious and cool!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

1. Utena is forever great
2. Miki needs some love too

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Utena
Juri

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
1. Utena, of course, her name's in the title! (She's also a much better person than most of these assholes)
2. Juri!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Miki and Jury deserve tender lovin for being the two people in all of Ohtori who are something resembling pleasant and can maybe even function in society. Plus, for people who haven't seen the series, it would be criminal not to have us interact with Kozue or Shiori in any way

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Juri so we don't have to interact with the boys or worry about Anthy murdering us in our sleep and ??? because what is her deal anyway?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Touga because he's the handsome Student Council President, of course.
Miki because I've been swayed by the idea that getting together with him would probably be the most helpful option to fix his story and the least disastrous for us.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

OK, so...I'm trying my hardest to come up with original jokes and observations in this thread, but sometimes, someone else said what needs to be said much better than you can, and sometimes, the person who said it is reading your thread and will notice if you reword his observation, and I know there's no way I can ever match the perfection of this:

Don't stress about this; draw whatever you like from my old LPs.

(I'll forward you my licensing rates shortly.)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Awwwww

wait

:gonk:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This is wonderful. :allears:

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
1. Touga.
2. Saionji.

Someone has to throw in more votes for the most damaged bodies here, might as well be me ~

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

:swoon: Will add to OP when I get home.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

"Why do I have this feeling of impending doom?"

Song barely got any sleep that night, and she did not understand why.

Also:

Utena
Juri

Because I think it's already been established that our MC has a thing for both of them. :v:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
1.Utena
2.Juri
3.Miki

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I laughed out loud, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

I just had to write this alternate end to Protagonist-Us' night with Utena. Wouldn't recommend reading it unless you've watched the whole series.

Morning comes, and as the Protagonist hops out of the bed and walks to the door, Anthy calls her over.

:geno: "You know, I have a sheep named Patter Song. Quite a coincidence, isn't it? Your hair would look lovely as wool." :geno:

The Protagonist gets the hell out of the room and Ohtori as fast as she can.