Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Something Offal posted:

What I don't like about Pluto is some of the channels are named '4k whatever' but are clearly not a 4k source or appropriate broadcast bitrate. And that's with a fast wired internet connection that can support 4k YouTube with zero buffering. Plus you can't choose the resolution like you can with YouTube, Pluto 'chooses' what's best which is often 720p or lower.

On a 55" TV it looks pretty bad.

Of course this is something most consumers probably don't care about. Most people I know can barely tell the difference between HD and SD (in 2018) and couldn't care less.

I'll admit I watched the DVD of John Wick over the weekend because the manufacturer put the Blu Ray on the wrong side :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nitr0 posted:

lol this idiot comparing trillion dollar company google with "pluto"

I also find it kind of weird it says 4k when it clearly doesn't show 4k content but I think it's because the owner of the channel is literally a company called "4k <whatever>"

But just because something's free doesn't mean you can't express discontent with it my man.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

lol this idiot comparing trillion dollar company google with "pluto"

I mean it's not even a planet!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Something Offal posted:

Not a good argument. I don't pay for YouTube either but its 4K content looks excellent and loads fast.

Then use YouTube if you’re unsatisfied with what they offer. I mean really, what other response do you expect other than “then don’t use it”?

Also, it looks fine on my 55”. It doesn’t look *great*, but it looks fine for what it is.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I have an letv super3 x55 television. It's Android but does not have the play store. I side loaded Pluto TV and it's saying "incompatible version, please download a supported version from the app store." Is there another version I can grab? I got the one of apkpure.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RodShaft posted:

I have an letv super3 x55 television. It's Android but does not have the play store. I side loaded Pluto TV and it's saying "incompatible version, please download a supported version from the app store." Is there another version I can grab? I got the one of apkpure.

Get a Roku

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Something Offal posted:

Not a good argument. I don't pay for YouTube either but its 4K content looks excellent and loads fast.

Yeah well YouTube has stupid YouTubers. Check and mate.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 4, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
After spending almost 2 years without cable I am going back. I made a list ditch effort to stay streaming by switching to WOW internet which has no data caps (I was averaging 1.3 to 1.5 TBs a month streaming on Comcast). Well I would take Comcast's 250mbs down any day over the up & down nature of WOW's 1GB down. So I could sign contract for a year and get 100 channels + my internet back for $59.99. Considering my last bill for just Comcast internet was $170 (cap overages), and I pay $45 a month for Youtube TV I have no choice. Using Comcast for TV is the only way I really can avoid overages.

Comcast wins by cheating with data caps.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Comcast indicates I've used 0 of my 2 rolling 12 month overages, but I don't trust it as I definitely used one a few months ago. I tend to go nuts every 6 months or so (and am super careful every other month not to exceed it by a few gb).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

nate fisher posted:

After spending almost 2 years without cable I am going back. I made a list ditch effort to stay streaming by switching to WOW internet which has no data caps (I was averaging 1.3 to 1.5 TBs a month streaming on Comcast). Well I would take Comcast's 250mbs down any day over the up & down nature of WOW's 1GB down. So I could sign contract for a year and get 100 channels + my internet back for $59.99. Considering my last bill for just Comcast internet was $170 (cap overages), and I pay $45 a month for Youtube TV I have no choice. Using Comcast for TV is the only way I really can avoid overages.

coward

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s weird to me that Philo on Roku has a guide but on appletv it doesn’t.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

nate fisher posted:

no fiber in your area? is comcast the only provider around? I pay $90 a month for 150 down and 150 up with FiOS from Verizon, no caps, no overages.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

derk posted:

no fiber in your area? is comcast the only provider around? I pay $90 a month for 150 down and 150 up with FiOS from Verizon, no caps, no overages.

Cable companies behave very differently when there's FiOS available. Suddenly data caps are no longer necessary and your price/speed curve is way more generous. Like magic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

derk posted:

Comcast can vary from region to region since they just a huge agglomeration of locals that were gulped up. Not just in service, but in pricing and metering.

In my area I get 300mbps w/1TB cap for $90. The metering is pretty accurate within 50 MB or so, since I also measure my usage via pfSesne on my edge router.

I kept getting closer and closer to the limit, so I thought I'd pay the extra $50 to remove the cap. That's when I realized that Internet(w/no cap) + PS Vue was more expensive at that point than Internet/Cable. So I got a cable card and an HD HomeRun Prime.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
I haven't had cable television service in about 5 years at least. Antennae, streams and automated sonarr/nzbget/torrents until the internet dies for me.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Over 1tb in streaming a month seems like a lot. We watch a few things each night and quite a bit on Saturday and Sunday and never go above 500GB. One month we got close to 700 but I downloaded a bunch of xbox games.

I'd be in the same boat, because comcast is the only option for some reason in the bay area.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Douche4Sale posted:

Over 1tb in streaming a month seems like a lot. We watch a few things each night and quite a bit on Saturday and Sunday and never go above 500GB. One month we got close to 700 but I downloaded a bunch of xbox games.

I'd be in the same boat, because comcast is the only option for some reason in the bay area.

When you have kids, it starts to add up and if you stream UHD/4k content, it definitely adds up.

Date caps are exactly how cable companies want to hold onto their dying model.

Thankfully I have Charter/Spectrum who can't implement data caps for another few years. Hopefully by then in home 5g will be more prevalent.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's weird how in most markets the competition doesn't seem to overlap. It's almost as though they avoid each other so they don't have to be competitive. They wouldn't do that though, that'd be dishonest!

And yeah kids and 4K is what kills my data cap for me. I get pretty close on the regular. Thank god my kids don't also watch 4K stuff or I'd be hosed.

derk posted:

I haven't had cable television service in about 5 years at least. Antennae, streams and automated sonarr/nzbget/torrents until the internet dies for me.

I don't know man, in Trump's America I can see them finally cracking down so I've basically gone legit myself. Good luck!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have to put my Nest camera in poo poo quality mode, because if I have it uploading at full it uses up 300gb of my 1tb cap alone. That’s for a single camera.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

RevKrule posted:

Thankfully I have Charter/Spectrum who can't implement data caps for another few years. Hopefully by then in home 5g will be more prevalent.

LoL if you think any kind of wireless service won't be massively worse about caps

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Croatoan posted:

It's weird how in most markets the competition doesn't seem to overlap. It's almost as though they avoid each other so they don't have to be competitive. They wouldn't do that though, that'd be dishonest!

And yeah kids and 4K is what kills my data cap for me. I get pretty close on the regular. Thank god my kids don't also watch 4K stuff or I'd be hosed.

I don't know man, in Trump's America I can see them finally cracking down so I've basically gone legit myself. Good luck!

I'll be waiting for them!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Instead of finding a better streaming cable option just stop watching lovely cable channels all together

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Douche4Sale posted:

I do other things than stream TV and shitpost, like work in a home office and move large files periodically. I’m currently trying to convince my company to reimburse me for for Internet (and going business class 2Gbps up/down), if that happens I may ditch cable again.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

derk posted:

My choices are WOW (despite laying new 1GB lines is awful for staying up), Frontier (which is super slow), or Comcast at a reliable 250 MBs with data caps.

Douche4Sale posted:

I’ve a house with 3 teenagers and with so many connected devices I can’t count (Xbox One, 4 PS4s, 3 AppleTvs, 5 Alexa devices, cloud cams, Nest devices, and on and on). I even got rid of 4K Netflix to try to lessen my data.

My plan is to give Comcast a year or 2, and relook at the streaming market at that time. I’m hoping some things will change. Honestly paying for Comcast cable + internet is around the same I’m paying for just internet + a streaming service that fits my needs (that is until I start hitting data caps). It just makes sense to avoid hitting the caps. My biggest regret about going back to Comcast cable is using their lovely remotes and their ugly rear end boxes + UI.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nate fisher posted:

My choices are WOW (despite laying new 1GB lines is awful for staying up), Frontier (which is super slow), or Comcast at a reliable 250 MBs with data caps.

I’ve a house with 3 teenagers and with so many connected devices I can’t count (Xbox One, 4 PS4s, 3 AppleTvs, 5 Alexa devices, cloud cams, Nest devices, and on and on). I even got rid of 4K Netflix to try to lessen my data.

My plan is to give Comcast a year or 2, and relook at the streaming market at that time. I’m hoping some things will change. Honestly paying for Comcast cable + internet is around the same I’m paying for just internet + a streaming service that fits my needs (that is until I start hitting data caps). It just makes sense to avoid hitting the caps. My biggest regret about going back to Comcast cable is using their lovely remotes and their ugly rear end boxes + UI.

Get a harmony hub for all your poo poo and run it from your phone/tablet and get the helper remote.

I’d say get get a cable card and an HD HomeRun Prime. It removes the device rental, it has three tuners in it so you can have three simultaneous feeds going at once (if you need more than 3, buy and second one but the I think a second Cable Card is $5/mo). It works with Live Channels on Android, PLEX on tvOS/iOS (not sure about AndroidTV), and the Channels app on Android, tvOS/iOS. I think LIve Channels has a DVR function. PLEX (with PlexPass) and Channels (with a subscription) definitely does.

The only downside is you can’t watch encrypted channels which is really just Bravo (for some reason) and Premiums like HBO/STARZ/SHOWTIME/etc... Apparently getting a key is millions of dollars and Silicon Dust is not big enough to afford it. Almost all of those have an On-Demand app that you can activate with your cable account. Except STARZ, because gently caress YOU, THAT’S WHY.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 11, 2018

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

The only downside is you can’t watch encrypted channels which is really just Bravo (for some reason) and Premiums like HBO/STARZ/SHOWTIME/etc... Apparently getting a key is millions of dollars and Silicon Dust is not big enough to afford it. Almost all of those have an On-Demand app that you can activate with your cable account. Except STARZ, because gently caress YOU, THAT’S WHY.

Blame Comcast for Starz not activating with it. Starz wanted a unified ecosystem where you only needed one app whether you were coming to activate or buy a la cart. Comcast doesn't like the fact that people could price compare (this is why you have both HBO go and HBO now). Starz wasn't gonna change for them so Comcast took their ball and went home and now you can activate on every major provider but Comcast.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

TheScott2K posted:

Cable companies behave very differently when there's FiOS available. Suddenly data caps are no longer necessary and your price/speed curve is way more generous. Like magic.

This.

FiOS is a game changer. I'm currently finishing up fellowship and seriously, one of the criteria to moving locations is whether or not FiOS is available. My wife doesn't know that, but if she knew it would affect her Law and Order reruns heavily, she'd probably agree.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

derk posted:

That seems slow for fiber, I pay $70 a month for 1000/1000 with no caps or overages.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Three Olives posted:

That seems slow for fiber, I pay $70 a month for 1000/1000 with no caps or overages.

Is that a promo price? I paid 70 for my same 150/150 service for a year, now it is 90. and are you using Verizon FiOS? I know of people with Google Fiber and pay what you are paying for 1000/1000. Once 1000/1000 is more saturated i am sure the prices will go down. 150/150 used to be like 200 not too long ago in the past few years. FiOS is only fiber option for me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

derk posted:

I cut the cord way back in I think 2007 or 2008. I don't even stream that much either, so if the internet disappeared tomorrow, I'd be fine, there's plenty of subchannels out there for your 24/7 background noise.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
I primarily only watch sports on TV, a handful of shows which i just download and some netflix shows, been considering cancelling netflix with their price increases, but idk.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
$90 for 150/150 on fios is definitely an old tier. I was paying $65/mo for 1000/1000 for a year, and some promotions just expired and I'm "up" to $89/yr.

Check https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber for good info about packages/promos, always worth gaming your cable provider at least once a year.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

derk posted:

Is that a promo price? I paid 70 for my same 150/150 service for a year, now it is 90. and are you using Verizon FiOS? I know of people with Google Fiber and pay what you are paying for 1000/1000. Once 1000/1000 is more saturated i am sure the prices will go down. 150/150 used to be like 200 not too long ago in the past few years. FiOS is only fiber option for me.

AT&T Fiber

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My region is just now getting fiber. It looks like $61 gets you 250/25, $81 gets you 500/50 and $101 gets you 1G/100. No data caps.

Right now I pay the cable company $79 for 100/10 (I usually get 60/30) and a 1 Tb of data a month.

I signed up for it but I have to wait until more people in my area ask for it. Considering I have a bunch of old people living near me, I will never get fiber.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cheer up, they'll die.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

pzy posted:

$90 for 150/150 on fios is definitely an old tier. I was paying $65/mo for 1000/1000 for a year, and some promotions just expired and I'm "up" to $89/yr.

Check https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber for good info about packages/promos, always worth gaming your cable provider at least once a year.

Sadly I live out West where frontier bought out the fios plant from Verizon and Frontier are loving idiots who won’t extend fiber down my street :(

They will happily sell me 6 meg dsl though lol

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hi, I watch a lot of youtube videos on my TV and sometimes want to watch them at accelerated playback speed. Are there any Roku models or Roku-likes that actually allow you to change the playback speed like I can when viewing directly on youtube.com on my desktop computer?

I have a Roku Ultra that I picked up in Nov 2017, and the youtube app on that does not have any option for playback speed. If I'm watching youtube on TV i usually do it through the Roku because the remote is much more convenient than casting from phone or laptop.

I also have a chromecast 2 that I occasionally cast to, but regular casting doesn't let me adjust the speed. I can technically do it if i cast the whole browser tab from my laptop, but its kinda kludgy and I don't like doing it.
I know its a pretty minor thing but I would really like that feature supported natively. Are there any options for me?

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 13, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

peepsalot posted:

Hi, I watch a lot of youtube videos on my TV and sometimes want to watch them at accelerated playback speed. Are there any Roku models or Roku-likes that actually allow you to change the playback speed like I can when viewing directly on youtube.com on my desktop computer?

I have a Roku Ultra that I picked up in Nov 2017, and the youtube app on that does not have any option for playback speed. If I'm watching youtube on TV i usually do it through the Roku because the remote is much more convenient than casting from phone or laptop.

I also have a chromecast 2 that I occasionally cast to, but regular casting doesn't let me adjust the speed. I can technically do it if i cast the whole browser tab from my laptop, but its kinda kludgy and I don't like doing it.
I know its a pretty minor thing but I would really like that feature supported natively. Are there any options for me?

Use the Roku app on your phone as your remote, should still work. Last time I tried it was over 6 months ago, though.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Fuzz posted:

Use the Roku app on your phone as your remote, should still work. Last time I tried it was over 6 months ago, though.
Just checked and I'm not seeing any option for playback speed in the Android Roku remote app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The YouTube apps are pretty universal now, so it’s unlikely any of them have the controls you’re looking for.