Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Why is it called that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You mean it's not an X-Files / Konosuba crossover?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I haven't read it directly so I don't know how spoilery this is, but I do know I saw some things related under spoiler bars in another thread. Better safe than sorry.

The main character meets a girl who (I think) is terminally ill thanks to pancreatic cancer. The title is a reference to eating something to gain its power; in this case an attempt at black humor about eating a healthy pancreas to cure her's.

I'm interested in it, but I just don't have the energy in me right now for something that could really bring the feels down. Kind of the same reason I paused on Dungeon Meshi for a while now after the dragon bit.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Artificer posted:

Why is it called that?
Basically Onean's spoilers.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh I was thinking it might have been written by a bitter diabetic :v:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've read all of that manga and it's bittersweet and decent if you're not turned off by the trope of cheerful sick, manic pixie dream girl bringing light into bitter normie who tries to shut himself away from social interaction.

I mean, I put it like that, but I do honestly think it was okay. The MC boy does get some callouts about his attitude towards people and that counts for something.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Wheres the comic about a manic pixie falling in love with another, even more manic, pixie?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
An actual clinically diagnosed manic pixie?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sharkopath posted:

The artist does a lot of digipaint trick type stuff that leaves some panels flat and they use really simple environmental details for most scenes and all that's perfectly fine and acceptable because small technical detail work usually leads to works being muddled and hard to read anyways. It's super common and since the strength of comic storytelling is usually character work they dominate 80% of the panels in every single manga comic known to man with straight up negative space or sometimes only a couple of lines rendering form to some background objects.

There was this webcomic artist who declared that backgrounds in art are overrated at best and distract from the story at worst.

Predictably, their webcomic looks like arse.

There’s plenty of other problems with Saihate no Paladin asides from lack of interesting backgrounds and architectural incompetence. It’s worthwhile to look at how “character work” is handled since that’s apparently the comic’s artistic draw, and I can’t help but to notice that it’s mediocre at best. You can take any page of dialogue and notice the same recurring problems. The artist constantly changes perspective on the action and the characters, probably out of a misguided sense of dynamism, and doesn’t keep their spatial relationship to each other consistent between panels. This leads to the comic losing any sense of motion and continuity. The sequential art doesn’t look sequential.

Let’s consider one example in detail:

First we’re looking at Billy, skeleton man, and ghost wizard from a distant, with skeleton man to Billy’s right and ghost wizard to Billy’s left. In the second panel the reader is looking through Billy’s perspective, looking downwards to the skeleton man to his left… and ghost wizard has suddenly floated to Billy’s left too, behind skeleton man’s shoulder.

Third panel is then Billy looking nowhere in particular while listening to them. Fourth panel provides a workable transition in isolation, but soon the perspective pointlessly switches from over the skeleton man’s left shoulder to over his right shoulder. Then we’re looking at skeleton man, and we have another workable transition, except ghost wizard has moved back to where he was in the first panel.

It’s just poor continuity. It could have been fixed easily at the planning stage, so here’s a mock-up where I reversed two panels and rearranged some dialogue:

This wouldn’t even mean more work for the artist. It would make their job easier if they didn’t have to draw characters from wildly different angles every two panels, and would maintain a sense of continuity and movement. As it is, they work more for worse results.

And there’s trifles to pick at too:

- Skeleton man’s hand is suddenly disembodied, since there’s no arm visible left of the speech bubble.
- Billy is clearly not seven years old on this page, no matter what the exposition claims.
- The upper left corner is just dead space.
- There’s no indication that more than a second or two passes between the panels, so skeleton man’s hand just disappears from Billy’s head.
- Where is Billy looking at in the last panel?

This may seem trivial, but when the art is consistently this lax, it’s just not very good sequential art. Just compare it to the work of a competent cartoonist:

This is just characters talking and walking, but there’s effort and thought in the composition. While the perspective varies, it originates from a consistent point at the left of the group. Thus there’s a sense of how characters relate to each other in the space they inhabit.

Sharkopath posted:

The same principle works for action and pacing, thats really all up to the viewer and the greatest comic artists aren't ones that have learned complex shading techniques and the patience to apply it, its artists that understand composition and the subtle bending of natural form to lead the viewers eyes in the right directions and with the right timing that they are left with the desired effect of impact.

Another difference between Saihate no Paladin and Dungeon Meshi is that the latter is always drawn with a clear path for the reader’s eyes to follow through the comic, which makes even simple sequences enjoyable to read. Appropriately, on these pages it’s based on the characters’ eyes, which are the dominant element in every panel:

It’s not always perfect: with the second example, the reader is drawn to ignore the speech bubbles in the second-to-last panel. Try to apply similar thinking to Isekai #8992 and you get mixed results. The artist isn’t ignorant of keeping a path for the reader’s gaze to follow, and mainly uses speech bubbles and captions to do it. In fact, those are usually the focus in many panels. This just raises the question of why draw a comic in the first place if text is what dominates the page.

What you’ll probably have noticed in particular is that the artist uses a lot of small panels that vary in perspective and subject, and the result is that the art is both extremely busy and extremely inefficient. Even above you can see panels stuffed with important elements that simultaneously have lots of dead space. In the second example you can even just get rid of two panels without losing anything. Here’s a mock-up of how:

Contrast to an artist who uses small panels to instead emphasises the same perspectives and subjects, like here:

Amuroxander has a great idea.

Or here:

”…with straight up negative space or sometimes only a couple of lines rendering form to some background objects.”

Now that was a long post about a bad comic that doesn’t really deserve it, but I ended up rereading Dungeon Meshi because of it, so here’s some avatars I made along the way:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 17, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
There's only one ghost wizard imprisoned in my heart.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm not sure where this fits best here, but this thread seems as good a spot as any.

Coral: the Sea in the Palm of Her Hand is about Sango, who's name means Coral. She's a hospitalised girl who likes to make up stories about mermaids living in the ocean. It's not quite for me, it really makes me anxious even with it's cute moments, but it's pretty good and I'm sure someone would be interested. It's a little :nws:, with some of the mermaids (including the very first you see) being topless, but it's not in a sexual way.
Said first mermaid:

And Sango, our storyteller:

Onean fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 22, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

That last line about a mermaid's flesh granting immortality is either a reference to a horror manga called Mermaid Saga or some sort of japanese folklore

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Jackard posted:

That last line about a mermaid's flesh granting immortality is either a reference to a horror manga called Mermaid Saga or some sort of japanese folklore

Definitely Japanese folklore, it comes up in other stories involving folklore like Kyokou Suiri

The male lead of that manga ate a mermaid and it gave him tremendous regenerative powers, as well as making him repulsive to all youkai

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Definitely the latter. This is mentioned in the next page of the manga: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ningyo
It's the tale of Yao/Happyaku Bikuni, where a fisherman catches a mermaid and shares the meat thinking it's just an unusual fish, but one of the other men warns to not eat it. They hide it and throw it away later, except for one drunk man who forgets and gives it to his daughter. She lives to 800 years, most of it as a Buddhist nun, before returning to her home town to end her life in a cave.

Onean fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 23, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yaobikuni/Methuselah OTP

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new slime isekai, and it's one of the best chapters so far
https://mangadex.org/chapter/461624

winning hearts and minds through the power of fullmetal alchemist

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New Dungeon Meshi
So many good faces, moments....ah this manga continues to be one of the best.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Huzzah! posted:

New Dungeon Meshi

I'm guessing the griffon killed Senshi's party/family.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

new slime isekai, and it's one of the best chapters so far
https://mangadex.org/chapter/461624

winning hearts and minds through the power of fullmetal alchemist

Huzzah! posted:

New Dungeon Meshi

It's like night and day in quality

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Man dungeon meshi is such mastercraft. Ignoring how good the writing and characterization is, even simple stuff like how clever the depiction of double vision was (with two perspectives overlaid and even the speech bubble issuing from two points) really sets this far above the rest of this crap. And, hey, no creepy sex stuff! At all! That's nice!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Just the best faces.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Deadbeat dad, or divorced dad? This will take 80 issues to be revealed.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dungeon Meshi is the best. Everything that's been said about how clever and well-written its, and the amount of thought that goes into it. The Goodnight Punpun-like familiars that Marcille summoned were drat hilarious this chapter.

Also the map and level of detail in the world really makes me want to play a D&D campaign set in this setting. I think it'd be pretty fun.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elfface posted:

Deadbeat dad, or divorced dad? This will take 80 issues to be revealed.

And the best part knowing this series. We will eventually meet the family in the future.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Dog Kisser posted:

And, hey, no creepy sex stuff! At all! That's nice!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Dungeon Meshi is definitely crying out for more creepy sex stuff.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Grab 'em if you want. I might make more later (this chapter has some very good faces).

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

Leon, a former Japanese worker, was reincarnated into an “otome game” world, and despaired at how it was a world where females hold dominance over males. It was as if men were just livestock that served as stepping stones for females in this world. The only exceptions were the game’s romantic targets, a group of handsome men led by the crown prince.

In these bizarre circumstances, Leon held one weapon: his knowledge from his previous world, where his brazen sister had forced him to complete this game. Leon, who really just wants to to live as a shut-in in the countryside, uses that knowledge to raise a ferocious revolt against the women and handsome men.

no. stop.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Isekai was a mistake.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:stare:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mikl posted:

Isekai was a mistake.

:stonk: Jesus christ was it ever

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Incekai.

Edit: That's incel-isekai not incest-isekai because without checking I am 100% certain that is a thing too.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Reading this, you can tell that the author hasn't played an actual otome game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elfface posted:

Incekai.

Edit: That's incel-isekai not incest-isekai because without checking I am 100% certain that is a thing too.

Inceskai is definitely a thing. I wanna say No Game No Life is the prominent example that springs to mind.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Inceskai is definitely a thing. I wanna say No Game No Life is the prominent example that springs to mind.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

That was probably one of the dumbest things I have read in my life. :psyduck:

So uhhh.....thanks?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Compendium posted:

Reading this, you can tell that the author hasn't played an actual otome game.

I mean, to be fair actual "reborn as villainess in an otome" WNs usually use this sort of pseudo-generic* setting (minus the mecha, though the character in this dumb manga comments on that being unusual), but I have no idea how you'd interpret them as being friendly to any women other than just the protagonist.

* in the sense that it doesn't necessarily reflect actual otome games, but still pops up a lot in these "meta" otome stories

edit: It's sorta like how a zillion isekai are some "spin" on the premise of fighting a demon lord (which is treated like some common plotline), but hardly any isekai stories exist that actually play that premise straight

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, to be fair actual "reborn as villainess in an otome" WNs usually use this sort of pseudo-generic* setting (minus the mecha, though the character in this dumb manga comments on that being unusual), but I have no idea how you'd interpret them as being friendly to any women other than just the protagonist.

* in the sense that it doesn't necessarily reflect actual otome games, but still pops up a lot in these "meta" otome stories

edit: It's sorta like how a zillion isekai are some "spin" on the premise of fighting a demon lord (which is treated like some common plotline), but hardly any isekai stories exist that actually play that premise straight

It's not so much that as it is the general atmosphere of this otome game setting? It's hard to explain but you can tell that the author Attempted™ to make an otome game world that the protag can poo poo on, but still have Cool™ elements where said protag can excel in and be better than everyone else. Like, I guess my problem is that it's a story where an otome game protag is gonna be usurped in importance by some loser who wants to loudly declare how stupid this fantasy of hot guys is.

Also you can tell it's gonna turn into a generic harem aimed at dudes anyways so, yeah gently caress everything about this guy.

Edit: Overall, it's just a mean-spirited/incel-y take on the usual reincarnated into an otome game plot. At least in Nozaki, while the guys were confused by the otome game, they really got into it and had great reactions.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Incelkai.

:fuckoff: