Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
How I got transported to another world and learned to hate women for being cheating sluts: is it wrong to take redpills in a dungeon?

I’m glad they had that dude fall down some stairs because the isekai driver would never hit some pos like that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

hasedega isekai

Except for the ones I like. Them shits's nice. They know who they are.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Well, it's above-average due to not buying a catgirl slave in the first chapter.

Fellis posted:

How I got transported to another world and learned to hate women for being cheating sluts: is it wrong to take redpills in a dungeon?
But all the girls just flock to him for being so protective and kind--wait, I just described the harem genre.

(Seriously, that title is perfect)

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 15, 2018

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Remember when Laius milked the four-titty minotaurs?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

My favourite manga, Oyasumi Familiar

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
We really need a Dungeon Meshi thread.

It's unfair anyone who wants to talk about it has to sift through the rest of this thread to do so.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So make one

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sure, why not.

Give me an hour or so, unless someone wants to cut me off at the pass. Need to take care of some stuff.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It is done.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
It is pitch black. You are likely to have eaten a grue.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now that's a thread title

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Now to unfollow this thread forever so I don't have to hear about terrible isekais.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You're welcome.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Sweet, now we can talk about terrible isekais without those jerks.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, sometimes the isekais aren't actually terrible

just most of the time

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The two from the Konosuba guy seem to be mostly decent? Or did the invaders one turned to crap?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dog Kisser posted:

Now to unfollow this thread forever so I don't have to hear about terrible isekais.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I put a link in the OP. But if the strange curse hits and Dungeon Meshi stops updating now, I am blaming you.

Dog Kisser posted:

This was originally supposed to be the thread for non-terrible isekais. The problem is that most goons really love their terrible isekais so much that they post about them in ALL the general threads.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Do we also need a Terrible Isekai Mock Thread? Post three times and get a free child-slave!

I need something good to read now...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wark Say posted:

The two from the Konosuba guy seem to be mostly decent? Or did the invaders one turned to crap?

the wrestler one didn't really do much for me because it relied heavily on slapstick in the form of a man beating up women

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There was this webcomic artist who declared that backgrounds in art are overrated at best and distract from the story at worst.

Predictably, their webcomic looks like arse.

There’s plenty of other problems with Saihate no Paladin asides from lack of interesting backgrounds and architectural incompetence. It’s worthwhile to look at how “character work” is handled since that’s apparently the comic’s artistic draw, and I can’t help but to notice that it’s mediocre at best. You can take any page of dialogue and notice the same recurring problems. The artist constantly changes perspective on the action and the characters, probably out of a misguided sense of dynamism, and doesn’t keep their spatial relationship to each other consistent between panels. This leads to the comic losing any sense of motion and continuity. The sequential art doesn’t look sequential.

Let’s consider one example in detail:

First we’re looking at Billy, skeleton man, and ghost wizard from a distant, with skeleton man to Billy’s right and ghost wizard to Billy’s left. In the second panel the reader is looking through Billy’s perspective, looking downwards to the skeleton man to his left… and ghost wizard has suddenly floated to Billy’s left too, behind skeleton man’s shoulder.

Third panel is then Billy looking nowhere in particular while listening to them. Fourth panel provides a workable transition in isolation, but soon the perspective pointlessly switches from over the skeleton man’s left shoulder to over his right shoulder. Then we’re looking at skeleton man, and we have another workable transition, except ghost wizard has moved back to where he was in the first panel.

It’s just poor continuity. It could have been fixed easily at the planning stage, so here’s a mock-up where I reversed two panels and rearranged some dialogue:

This wouldn’t even mean more work for the artist. It would make their job easier if they didn’t have to draw characters from wildly different angles every two panels, and would maintain a sense of continuity and movement. As it is, they work more for worse results.

And there’s trifles to pick at too:

- Skeleton man’s hand is suddenly disembodied, since there’s no arm visible left of the speech bubble.
- Billy is clearly not seven years old on this page, no matter what the exposition claims.
- The upper left corner is just dead space.
- There’s no indication that more than a second or two passes between the panels, so skeleton man’s hand just disappears from Billy’s head.
- Where is Billy looking at in the last panel?

This may seem trivial, but when the art is consistently this lax, it’s just not very good sequential art. Just compare it to the work of a competent cartoonist:

This is just characters talking and walking, but there’s effort and thought in the composition. While the perspective varies, it originates from a consistent point at the left of the group. Thus there’s a sense of how characters relate to each other in the space they inhabit.

Another difference between Saihate no Paladin and Dungeon Meshi is that the latter is always drawn with a clear path for the reader’s eyes to follow through the comic, which makes even simple sequences enjoyable to read. Appropriately, on these pages it’s based on the characters’ eyes, which are the dominant element in every panel:

It’s not always perfect: with the second example, the reader is drawn to ignore the speech bubbles in the second-to-last panel. Try to apply similar thinking to Isekai #8992 and you get mixed results. The artist isn’t ignorant of keeping a path for the reader’s gaze to follow, and mainly uses speech bubbles and captions to do it. In fact, those are usually the focus in many panels. This just raises the question of why draw a comic in the first place if text is what dominates the page.

What you’ll probably have noticed in particular is that the artist uses a lot of small panels that vary in perspective and subject, and the result is that the art is both extremely busy and extremely inefficient. Even above you can see panels stuffed with important elements that simultaneously have lots of dead space. In the second example you can even just get rid of two panels without losing anything. Here’s a mock-up of how:

Contrast to an artist who uses small panels to instead emphasises the same perspectives and subjects, like here:

Amuroxander has a great idea.

Or here:

”…with straight up negative space or sometimes only a couple of lines rendering form to some background objects.”

This is a real good post. The other one about the cathedral was also harsh but fair. Those examples posted look good, I’ll have to search them out. They look like they’re from the 70s or 80s?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Alexandros is from 2003 but the author Yoshikazu Yasuhiko has been making manga since the late 70s.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Slime Isekai.

Genuinely intrigued by this topic. I know it's been brought up in plenty of other isekais, the concept of summoning otherworlders to use as tools in your fantasy world, but I can't really think of one that dealt with the social ramifications of it nor the cast-offs like these kids.

edit: what's the series with the character building a sandcastle(?) in the lower left corner of the cover there? Has a cute style.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
There's one I forgot the name of, I think it has 'Hans' in it, about a small town Knight who has to deal with all the nut jobs who keep getting isekai'd to his world, which mostly means keeping them busy and away from the military because they'd destabilise the balance of power and start a bunch of wars.

And my first thought of sandcastle - girl was a platelet from 'cells at work' but I think it's a fairly generic Japanese preschool uniform, so lots of options.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think the title of that one is Shoukishi Hans no Juunan and either way it’s a fun one because the Japanese guys are the supporting cast to Hans, The Most Put Upon Man Ever

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mors Rattus posted:

I think the title of that one is Shoukishi Hans no Juunan and either way it’s a fun one because the Japanese guys are the supporting cast to Hans, The Most Put Upon Man Ever
Haha, I'm only a few chapters in but I like the Yakuza guy

Leaping Mutton
Feb 27, 2010

What could go wrong?
I think it's this one: https://www.mangadex.org/title/14960/chihoukishi-hans-no-junan

I just started it, but looks like it could be a fun one.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's one of my faves, I just can't spell Japanese transliterations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: what's the series with the character building a sandcastle(?) in the lower left corner of the cover there? Has a cute style.

That's a platelet from Cells at Work.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Well I read The Vengeful White Cat Lounging on the Dragon King's Lap and it's good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gonna recommend Retired Heroes. It's not an isekai, and it's about how these heroes saved the world from the demon king, and have now retired to anonymity so two of them could have and raise a kid. Things get very silly and dumb.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
You monster. Quite the timing to recommend it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Onean posted:

You monster. Quite the timing to recommend it.

I exist to share my suffering.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Wait why is the timing bad? I started reading Retired Heroes a few days ago and it's a lot of fun!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Reiche posted:

Wait why is the timing bad? I started reading Retired Heroes a few days ago and it's a lot of fun!

I assume the cliffhanger.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, the cliffhanger.

I enjoy it too!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Bakarina updated a few days ago, stay safe Katarina! :ohdear:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Gonna recommend Retired Heroes. It's not an isekai, and it's about how these heroes saved the world from the demon king, and have now retired to anonymity so two of them could have and raise a kid. Things get very silly and dumb.

Thanks for reminding me about this. Looks like the translator drama has ended as well.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

Bakarina updated a few days ago, stay safe Katarina! :ohdear:

Now that's a cliffhanger that I think no one is falling for. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Onean posted:

Yeah, the cliffhanger.

I enjoy it too!

Ahh okay! I thought it was on hiatus or something.

And speak of the devil, here's Chapter 19!

Lina and Tifa are very good girls :3:

Reiche fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 11, 2018