Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m thinking about leveling a Bard just because of the ridiculous bows.

Is this a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BRD is my main and tons o' fun, but most of the bows I find to be disappointing honestly. There's definitely some good ones, even still, but there's a reason I haven't been tempted to switch since getting my anima.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can I get a bow that is also a bagpipe ?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Bolow posted:

Did you know it was getting demolished soon or something?

yeah, the owner posted a heads up on tumblr that the spot was going to be demolished and they were just gonna let it lapse because they wanted the money. they didn’t know when though, only that it was supposed to be ‘tomorrow’. it helped that we only had to check on the hour since that’s when demolishment apparently happens but it was a long wait.

anyways i wanted to fill the front yard with moai heads but my friend (who didn’t get the plot) said he would kill me. then i went afk in my yard and he surrounded me with moai heads

rhoga posted:

house stuff

would you happen to have a balmung alt because i would love for you to decorate my house.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Yeah, there's no shame as a drk being 6th on the dps list especially when you're relatively new to the job and/or still gearing up.

If you have current gear and feel comfortable tanking but find yourself being out-dpsed by pubbie healers, then it's time to figure out what you're doing wrong. Notable exception: if you are doing big dungeon trash pulls then your healers really should be out-damaging you (and possibly the actual dps people also). Holy is a hell of a thing.

honestly i think my gear is fine? but this is the first time i've ever caught up to endgame (and i'm still unlocking most of it) so i'm unsure. there was a stint where i stopped unlocking stuff just to farm mendacity to gear up the warrior that just hit 70, and that's carried over to drk now that i hit 70 there. i have all 360 gear except for:
- a 320 ring that i haven't yet replaced
- a 390 chest that i spent my genesis on
- a 380 HQ crafted weapon i blew money on because i was having a lot of fun playing drk and wanted to play it in endgame content and weapon was the only thing not shared between tanks

so a lot of my perceived underperformance largely comes down to being unfamiliar with the content and still learning the right times to press all these ding dang drk buttons. heck i'm not even really complaining about doing bad i was kinda just more... surprised how much more work it felt to put into drk to achieve seemingly low results-- meanwhile on warrior you just drop a bunch of fat fell cleaves on a motherfucker and climb the charts. but hey, i was MT and we didn't wipe so i'd say my job was done competently

euphronius posted:

Is this a good idea.

i've got a level 60 bard and think it's a lot of fun! just very proc based

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My favorite wow dps experience was Survival hunter so maybe a match? Idk.

I know there is no pet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

euphronius posted:

Can I get a bow that is also a bagpipe ?

No, but there's a BRD only outfit that comes with them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I am happy that Estinien seems to be showing up again.

I also want the Ishgardians to gently caress up a bunch of Imperials at some point, since they're used to fighting dragons. Logically speaking, Ishgard should be WAY better at waging war than the rest of the Grand Companies.

edit: As a side comment, I find it funny that they seem to have added this "aim at stuff in first-person" feature to Stormblood and keep trying to show it off in random quests. It's kind of cute/quaint, given FFXIV is actually kind of rudimentary/simplistic compared with WoW when it comes to that sort of stuff.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 15, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
In other news, mounts have saddlebags?

How many other game features am I suddenly going to find out about, or remember exist? I was complaining to myself about doing hunt marks to get XP on AST, who has exactly two useful spells mano-a-mano, and finally remembered after hitting my target that you can summon your chocobo to help out. What next? Scalable-level quests to help you bring up your alts? Some kind of wardrobe system to hold your glamours? Easy access to materia as some kind of reward for helping out with the levelling roulette?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Almost got SAM to 70 and just got the ability that lets me convert sen to kenki. At first I was like this seems lame, but now I assume I want to be doing this as much as possible and hammering my oGCD stab rather than saving for midare to avoid the cast time? Does 70 SAM only midare when there are no other uses for the sen/kenki? I like big crits and I cannot lie, so if that's the case I'll be a little sad. But I'll stab nonetheless.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Rand Brittain posted:

What next? Scalable-level quests to help you bring up your alts?

There's Palace of the Dead for under-60 alts and Heaven on High for 61+. You also have command missions through your Grand Company squadron at a certain point so, yes.

Rand Brittain posted:

Some kind of wardrobe system to hold your glamours?

Yes, there's one in every inn and in every GC squadron barracks. It holds 200 items and allows you to create 10 pre-set glamour plates.

Rand Brittain posted:

Easy access to materia as some kind of reward for helping out with the levelling roulette?

After a certain level, the low-level roulette offers the adventurer in need a Cracked Cluster, which can be exchanged for a combat materia level VI. There are also copious drops of materia in level 70 dungeons. So, yes.

Unless :thejoke:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

I also had to do the shameful deed of switching back into Grit for the final boss because it hit so hard :(

For shame!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Marathanes posted:

Almost got SAM to 70 and just got the ability that lets me convert sen to kenki. At first I was like this seems lame, but now I assume I want to be doing this as much as possible and hammering my oGCD stab rather than saving for midare to avoid the cast time? Does 70 SAM only midare when there are no other uses for the sen/kenki? I like big crits and I cannot lie, so if that's the case I'll be a little sad. But I'll stab nonetheless.

Use Hagakure when you have 3 Sen then spam Shinten, use Midare whenever Hagakure isn't up. it works out to about 1 Haga to 1 or 2 Midare depending on if Meikyo is off cooldown.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

honestly i think my gear is fine? but this is the first time i've ever caught up to endgame (and i'm still unlocking most of it) so i'm unsure. there was a stint where i stopped unlocking stuff just to farm mendacity to gear up the warrior that just hit 70, and that's carried over to drk now that i hit 70 there. i have all 360 gear except for:
- a 320 ring that i haven't yet replaced
- a 390 chest that i spent my genesis on
- a 380 HQ crafted weapon i blew money on because i was having a lot of fun playing drk and wanted to play it in endgame content and weapon was the only thing not shared between tanks

so a lot of my perceived underperformance largely comes down to being unfamiliar with the content and still learning the right times to press all these ding dang drk buttons. heck i'm not even really complaining about doing bad i was kinda just more... surprised how much more work it felt to put into drk to achieve seemingly low results-- meanwhile on warrior you just drop a bunch of fat fell cleaves on a motherfucker and climb the charts. but hey, i was MT and we didn't wipe so i'd say my job was done competently

i've got a level 60 bard and think it's a lot of fun! just very proc based

Being MT (in tank stance) and losing downtime to focusing on the dance will do a lot to lower your dps. As a litmus, I main PLD and I'm consistently at least 4th place when I OT normal modes in DF (PLD is brain dead easy to optimize and every DF has That DPS). Tank stance will eat about 20% of that, so that'll dunk down a place or two easily.

The real answer to tank DPS is to make the other guy MT, or become comfortable enough with the fight damage to stay out of tank stance as much as possible.

Edit: think of Rampart as a free "tank stance with no dmg down" cooldown

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Marathanes posted:

Yeah, you basically want to use it on cooldown. It should alternate between hagakure and midare for every other time you hit three sen. Also, you'll want to try to keep around 40-50 kenki banked since using guren on cooldown is a good amount of damage.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Marathanes posted:

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Yeah, you basically want to use it on cooldown. It should alternate between hagakure and midare for every other time you hit three sen. Also, you'll want to try to keep around 40-50 kenki banked since using guren on cooldown is a good amount of damage.

Alternatively, don't worry about it overmuch and keep triggering that lizard brain thru mad crits. The difference in DPS is quantifiable but not major as long as you're using Guren on cooldown / on multiple mobs when feasible.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

isk posted:

Alternatively, don't worry about it overmuch and keep triggering that lizard brain thru mad crits. The difference in DPS is quantifiable but not major as long as you're using Guren on cooldown / on multiple mobs when feasible.

I mean, if you want to be a garbage tier SAM then yeah, do whatever, but Hagakure/Shinten spam is a significant DPS increase over Midare (Math nerds say it is a 292.34 potency difference)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

euphronius posted:

Is this a good idea.

Biggest bow. Biggest hat. Hail BRD.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks for the replies regarding SAM. How should I be using Meikyo? I generally use it to generate 3 more sen right after a midare, but I have a feeling that's not the best use of it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Marathanes posted:

Thanks for the replies regarding SAM. How should I be using Meikyo? I generally use it to generate 3 more sen right after a midare, but I have a feeling that's not the best use of it.

Optimal use is to use it more or less on cooldown and to plan ahead so that you do a Yuki right before using it, then you can Gekko->Kasha->Haga/Midare->Gekko/Kasha(whichever buff has the most time left).
It is difficult to get right without dropping buffs so using it when it comes up on a Gekko->Kasha->Yuki with whatever Iaijutsu you need or Hagakure in between is fine too. The other way is better but in terms of DPS difference it is pretty low on the list of things to get right about SAM

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Marathanes posted:

You should try to use Meikyo on CD as much as possible. It's very flexible so it doesn't actually matter whether you have 0, 1, or 2 Sen banked before using it. If you have more than 0, then fill your remaining Sen, use Midare / Hagakure, then use whatever free hits are left on Meikyo. It may feel like it makes sense to wait to use it until after you've just spent 3 Sen but once you're used to it you can pop it at almost any time during a fight.

If you would like an example, check out how it is used during the Three Sen opener.

E: but yeah it does take a little thought to avoid dropping buffs, so sometimes you will want to delay it just long enough to re-up a buff using a full combo.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Ytlaya posted:

I am happy that Estinien seems to be showing up again.

I also want the Ishgardians to gently caress up a bunch of Imperials at some point, since they're used to fighting dragons. Logically speaking, Ishgard should be WAY better at waging war than the rest of the Grand Companies.

edit: As a side comment, I find it funny that they seem to have added this "aim at stuff in first-person" feature to Stormblood and keep trying to show it off in random quests. It's kind of cute/quaint, given FFXIV is actually kind of rudimentary/simplistic compared with WoW when it comes to that sort of stuff.

I really hope they add more of the Active Time Maneuver events into normal questing next expansion. Or have them as an aspect of a future job like dancer.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ohtsam posted:

I really hope they add more of the Active Time Maneuver events into normal questing next expansion. Or have them as an aspect of a future job like dancer.

I don't think that Active Time Event: The Job is how I would like for Dancer to work.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ohtsam posted:

every now and then during random raids susano should show up again and try to crush everyone

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rhoga posted:

I finished up another house over the weekend, this time for Silver Bells / Elentor. Elentor was actually the first goon to ask me about designing a house, right after the forums housing contest. Once we finally worked out the general direction of the house, Monster Hunter World released, then Dragon Quest 11. So it's been a long time coming, but I think this one was worth the wait.

I have nothing to complain about. Rhoga is pretty much amazing, and I honestly couldn't imagine a better outcome. I took a few pictures myself, the house is at Excal Mist 3, 36 and the other house that Rhoga furnished at Plot 48 is also mind-blowing good!

Ground Level:

Basement:

Office:

Exterior:

Panoramas:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Elentor posted:

I have nothing to complain about. Rhoga is pretty much amazing, and I honestly couldn't imagine a better outcome. I took a few pictures myself, the house is at Excal Mist 3, 36 and the other house that Rhoga furnished at Plot 48 is also mind-blowing good!

Ground Level:

Basement:

Office:

Exterior:

Panoramas:

Incredible!

How did you make those panoramic shots?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I stood still, hit Home for first-person view, and simply rotated around taking screenshots. Then I used a program called ICE (Image Composite Editor) which is a pretty much soft discontinued program by Microsoft that is one of the best programs available to stitch images together into a panorama. It's better than many of the extremely expensive alternatives.

On a tangent: Microsoft has some of the best free softwares I've ever seen but it's like they do everything in their power not to promote them and then a few years later discontinue them.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Just hit 70 SAM. Went with the 'study the blade' glam for the 70 quest.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Always keeping 50 Kenki for Guren wastes valuable Shinten casts considering Guren's got a fairly long cooldown and you should ideally be putting it on cooldown in your opener. It's better to apply the "35 rule" unless you see it's coming up soon. The 35 rule is basically that because you can generate at worst 10 Kenki by doing any combo, and you want to have enough for Kaiten for Midare/Higanbana, you should be able to use a Shinten whenever you have 35+ Kenki.

You can use this rule for Guren, too. 60 Kenki means you can do a Guren and have enough Kenki left over for Kaiten.

e: Here is your checklist for Midare:

> Are my buffs up?
> Y
> Is Guren on CD?
> Y
> Is Higanbana about to expire?
> N
> Hagakure on CD?
> Y
> JOHN loving MADDEN

As long as you follow that flowchart, you can't -really- go wrong.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 16, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So I found this today.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So I found this today.

3spooky5me

cursed image

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah keeping a 35 kenki base is very solid advice, I don't usually worry about saving up for Guren because by the time it's coming off cooldown there's probably a nearby Hagakure coming too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

thewizardofshoe posted:

Yeah keeping a 35 kenki base is very solid advice, I don't usually worry about saving up for Guren because by the time it's coming off cooldown there's probably a nearby Hagakure coming too.

I've had trouble in spending too much Kenki right as my Guren's ready to come off CD, so I've been keeping a closer eye on my Guren CD and adjusting how much Kenki I bank. When it gets to below 30 I check my Hagakure cd and either keep on trucking with the 35 kenki rule if I can use Haga to Guren immediately or bank up to 50 for Guren and then Haga afterward.

You'd think long cd moves would be easy to plan around but the siren call of pushing many buttons at once can get in the way of that :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arist posted:

BRD is my main and tons o' fun, but most of the bows I find to be disappointing honestly. There's definitely some good ones, even still, but there's a reason I haven't been tempted to switch since getting my anima.

I just got bard to 61 last night and put on the sirensong sea set and I think I might be in love

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blockhouse posted:

I just got bard to 61 last night and put on the sirensong sea set and I think I might be in love

It only gets better once you get to 68 and get Enhanced Empyreal Arrow.

Also Nature's Minne at 66, which is like Convalescence with a 45 second cooldown and you can put it on whoever you want (or hog it for yourself like I always do!).

e: there's also Troubadour, which... exists!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Arist posted:

It only gets better once you get to 68 and get Enhanced Empyreal Arrow.

Also Nature's Minne at 66, which is like Convalescence with a 45 second cooldown and you can put it on whoever you want (or hog it for yourself like I always do!).

e: there's also Troubadour, which... exists!

One of my favorite things in this game is getting big AoE pulls, dotting up 3 of the enemies and putting on Mage's Ballad then throwing down like 50 Rain of Deaths.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So I found this today.

I did a day of party finder, this is accurate.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

is there really no orchestrion roll for Stone and Steel :thunk:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There still isn't one for Godbert's theme either. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

I've had trouble in spending too much Kenki right as my Guren's ready to come off CD, so I've been keeping a closer eye on my Guren CD and adjusting how much Kenki I bank. When it gets to below 30 I check my Hagakure cd and either keep on trucking with the 35 kenki rule if I can use Haga to Guren immediately or bank up to 50 for Guren and then Haga afterward.

You'd think long cd moves would be easy to plan around but the siren call of pushing many buttons at once can get in the way of that :v:

I do have trouble with it sometimes too, but it's usually because I accidentally hit Kaiten then had to move for a mechanic and have trouble getting back to the boss before it drops or plain didn't actually have the Sen for my Iajutsu ready and straight up burned kenki on nothing. It feels really bad.