Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dark areas get compressed more in general, if your TV is calibrated too bright they'll be more obvious, even on disc content. Also Netflix's 4K streams aren't particularly impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

dexter6 posted:

I got a new 55” TV that supports 4K HDTV / Dolby Vision and around the same time I started watching Ozark on Netflix.

I notice a ton of artifact when watching it. Is it just the show? Or is it Netflix? Or some setting I have wrong?

Is your match source material setting turned on? HDR should mitigate some degree of black blockiness

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

fivehead posted:

Is your match source material setting turned on? HDR should mitigate some degree of black blockiness
Do you mean “Match Dynamic Range” or “Match Frame Rate” or both?

Either way, both of mine are set to “off”... should I turn them on?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dexter6 posted:

Do you mean “Match Dynamic Range” or “Match Frame Rate” or both?

Either way, both of mine are set to “off”... should I turn them on?

Set your Apple TV to 4K SDR and set both of those options on.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Set your Apple TV to 4K SDR and set both of those options on.
OK, it’s currently set to 4K Dolby Vision @ 60hz, so you’re recommending I drop that down to 4K SDR?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes. It’s not obvious, but those are the best settings.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If any of you know Sarah can you please ask her to stop trying to connect to my AppleTV

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If any of you know Sarah can you please ask her to stop trying to connect to my AppleTV

I’d be more concerned that she’s on your network.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I’d be more concerned that she’s on your network.

It doesn't require being on the same WiFi.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

It doesn't require being on the same WiFi.

This and the range seems pretty drat far too. If its not using WiFi what connection is it using to see the ATV? Pretty sure BT wouldn't have that range.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a setting you can turn off so only devices on your network can connect.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Oh, I thought that poo poo was restricted by default.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah they want it to be easy for people to AirPlay poo poo but that presents a problem in apartment buildings.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Endless Mike posted:

Where's this setting? I sure would like to not see a hundred AppleTVs and Macs in my apartment building.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jokes posted:

Where's this setting? I sure would like to not see a hundred AppleTVs and Macs in my apartment building.

I meant on the AppleTV, so other people cannot connect to your AppleTV. No way to turn it off on your devices, as far as I know, unfortunately.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Is there any way to figure out why apps keep crashing? Looking at HGTV and SciGo in particular lately. I’ve already done a restart (I’m already on the current version) and would like to see what’s causing the problems before I reinstall them yet again. Other apps like Netflix and Amazon work perfectly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

duffmensch posted:

Is there any way to figure out why apps keep crashing? Looking at HGTV and SciGo in particular lately. I’ve already done a restart (I’m already on the current version) and would like to see what’s causing the problems before I reinstall them yet again. Other apps like Netflix and Amazon work perfectly.

If I had to put money on it I would have to say it is the lovely apps.

Hell I've had apps I've had to nuke once a week because they would keep loving up.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Are we still expecting an ATV update this year? My old ATV won’t do airplay 2 or work with home so an upgrade is in order if it’s not close to upgrade cycle time.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Are we still expecting an ATV update this year? My old ATV won’t do airplay 2 or work with home so an upgrade is in order if it’s not close to upgrade cycle time.

By this year do you mean 2018? If so, no. There haven’t been any rumors lately of new models or refreshes.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I can't imagine anything they could bring out that would be a major selling point over what's already in the 4K. That thing is basically perfect.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

There won't be anything to upgrade in the Apple TV until some new standard for video or audio comes out that it can't handle.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

American McGay posted:

I can't imagine anything they could bring out that would be a major selling point over what's already in the 4K. That thing is basically perfect.

A better remote.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

gret posted:

A better remote.

Can’t you just use your phone?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m sure they could make it faster so the bloated corpse that is Netflix could find a way to run even worse.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I really wish the ATV was more dominant in this market so they'd be able to push the likes of Netflix and Amazon and Google to not produce the worst apps in the world. I didn't have a single problem with the touchpad remote until Google redesigned all their apps and made them god awful.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I swear to god the Netflix app gets worse every time they touch it.

Like the My list and continue watching lists are almost always never in the same place and it’s beyond frustrating. They added that side bar thing and I feel like that’s almost worse I dunno.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gret posted:

A better remote.
If they did this, it would probably just appear on the store one day with no notice.

In any case, there's not really much more to update until either new video standards come out and become ubiquitous or the iPad Pro hardware becomes way outdated, neither of which is happening any time soon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you hated the remote like I did:

https://www.amazon.com/Sideclick-Universal-Attachment-Streaming-Players/dp/B01N3PL81R

This poo poo changed the game in my house. We used to have to have multiple remotes for various things, now we only need one. I got it a year ago or so, still works without changing battery-- not a single complaint.

It also gives the remote a little bit more heft so you don't feel like you're slinging around a baseball card. But most importantly, it attaches to a single side which means when you pick up the ATV remote you never have to flip it around because you picked it up upside down which was ANNOYING.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

If you hated the remote like I did:

https://www.amazon.com/Sideclick-Universal-Attachment-Streaming-Players/dp/B01N3PL81R

This poo poo changed the game in my house. We used to have to have multiple remotes for various things, now we only need one. I got it a year ago or so, still works without changing battery-- not a single complaint.

It also gives the remote a little bit more heft so you don't feel like you're slinging around a baseball card. But most importantly, it attaches to a single side which means when you pick up the ATV remote you never have to flip it around because you picked it up upside down which was ANNOYING.

My Apple TV remote already controls my receiver and turns the tv on and off though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

My Apple TV remote already controls my receiver and turns the tv on and off though.

I envy your reliable CEC!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

jokes posted:

But most importantly, it attaches to a single side which means when you pick up the ATV remote you never have to flip it around because you picked it up upside down which was ANNOYING.
As an aside, we bought a 4th gen Apple TV for my dad last month and it came with the 4K remote with the raised white ring around the menu button.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Me too. I programmed it to change inputs on the receiver, mute, menus, etc. I stored my other remotes away and haven’t looked back.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm having an issue where my denim won't turn my Sony tv on. Otherwise I'd ditch my harmony.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm having an issue where my denim won't turn my Sony tv on. Otherwise I'd ditch my harmony.

Have you tried khaki?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

my jorts don’t turn anyone on :(

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

:lol: missed that typo

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

The way I got it working was aTV->Sony->Denon. The trick is to use the ARC output (it’s HDMI 4 on my 2015 Bravia) into the ARC input on the Denon. You also have to dig down into the HDMI settings in the Denon menu and allow it to be remotely controlled.

I had no problem with the aTV turning on the Sony and selecting the correct input. And then the Sony would turn on the Denon. My problem was, for whatever reason, I could never ever get anything better than 2CH Surround from the TV to the Denon. I have a feeling it’s because my Denon is almost 10 years old. So I gave up and went back to aTV->Denon->Sony with a Harmony Hub.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

savesthedayrocks posted:

Me too. I programmed it to change inputs on the receiver, mute, menus, etc. I stored my other remotes away and haven’t looked back.

I did too but I could never get mine to power the TV on, tried fiddling with the auto-wake, etc. And then changing the input on the TV was even more of a nightmare, once I got a PS4, etc.

Volume, etc., works just fine on the ATV but power/input no.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

The way I got it working was aTV->Sony->Denon. The trick is to use the ARC output (it’s HDMI 4 on my 2015 Bravia) into the ARC input on the Denon. You also have to dig down into the HDMI settings in the Denon menu and allow it to be remotely controlled.

I had no problem with the aTV turning on the Sony and selecting the correct input. And then the Sony would turn on the Denon. My problem was, for whatever reason, I could never ever get anything better than 2CH Surround from the TV to the Denon. I have a feeling it’s because my Denon is almost 10 years old. So I gave up and went back to aTV->Denon->Sony with a Harmony Hub.

That last part is my exact setup. I refuse to use ARC since I paid for a nice receiver. I'll just live with it and my wife likes the harmony remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Proteus Jones posted:

My problem was, for whatever reason, I could never ever get anything better than 2CH Surround from the TV to the Denon. I have a feeling it’s because my Denon is almost 10 years old. So I gave up and went back to aTV->Denon->Sony with a Harmony Hub.
Could be a limitation of the TV; my 10-year-old Samsung plasma has a toslink audio out but can only pass a stereo signal through it.

HDMI-CEC works fine in my scaled-down TV/soundbar setup. Except when it doesn’t! :iiam: