Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gaius Marius posted:

A wall is not a statue. A wall is not a representation of a human being it is a wall. Statues do not keep people imprisoned within their own country, walls do.

Rather than being a consistent explanation, this is just raising a whole lot of further questions. Not all statues are representations of human beings. Photographs and paintings are also representations of human beings.

quote:

The statue of Stalin was both a symbol of repression and a representation of a man. In that case the representation outweighed the man.

Who gets to determine what a statue is or is not a symbol of?

quote:

I highly doubt that whoever vandalized Nathanael Greenes statue was opposed to him. I believe it was some dumb kid who thought it was funny.

Certainly possible, and it's about as much vandalism as chalk writing on a sidewalk is; I myself stuck a big empty oilcan of Foster's in the hand of the statue of the founder of my university many years ago and that had nothing to do with the man's life or legacy. Again, I'm not talking about this particular incident involving Greene's memorial, I'm pointing out that your blanket defense of statuary seems to be based on a weird argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Honestly the result of this 'vandalism' is probably a lot of people looking up who the gently caress Nathanael Greene was.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

sullat posted:

Well, he was right. Googly eyes are funny.

I mean googly eyes are pretty much the opposite of what these statues are trying to get out.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

bewbies posted:

I've always wondered had battleship development continued if they would have developed long rod penetrators for the big guns.

that...would own

Nope. Aircraft and missiles killed off the need for big guns.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I believe it was some dumb kid who thought it was funny.

I believe that dumb kid was correct.

There's controversies about statues and what statements erecting them/removing them/defacing them makes, but lil plastic googly eyes are too minor to be something to get angry over.

Call me when somebody makes a statue into this with googly eyes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mary Seacole (might) be on the new £50 note!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gaius Marius posted:

He's a human being. How would you feel if someone put googly eyes on your grandparents tombstone

I put googly eyes on my great-grandma's tombstone once? It's traditional in the religion of some of my family to leave things on the stones of those whose grave you're visiting, and even though its usually preferred to use a small stone.

Honestly if I saw someone else went and did it I'd just assume one of my distant cousins was having fun with it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If you knock the dicks off the statues you should be banished from the polis, imo

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Alcibiades did nothing wrong.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I wonder if the Sphinx had a dong, would the Revolutionary French have shot it off with a cannon?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

P-Mack posted:

If you knock the dicks off the statues you should be banished from the polis, imo

What if they are large, barbarous penises rather than small, civilized ones

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EvilMerlin posted:

Nope. Aircraft and missiles killed off the need for big guns.

One would assume 'if battleship development had continued' implies 'noone invents the aircraft carrier' and thus also neither aircraft nor missilea.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 11-14th October 1918 posted:

Re-organisaton, training, salvaging and cleaning the area.

13th KRRC War Diary, 15th October 1918 posted:

The Battalion paraded in mass for inspection by the Divisional Commander at 1000 hours. After the inspection the G.O.C. complimented the Battalion on their smart appearance and thanked all ranks for the execellent work done by the Battalion since August 21st 1918. The Battalion then marched past.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Nathaniel Greene was the best Revolutionary War general and I refuse to consider any others

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TropicalCoke posted:

Nathaniel Greene was the best Revolutionary War general and I refuse to consider any others

I mean, maybe some of the British ones? The Continental Army lost most of its standup fights.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Couldn't be that good, we ain't speaking british over here comrade.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah but those heavy siege guns and fleets weren't American made either. Just saying.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I mean, maybe some of the British ones? The Continental Army lost most of its standup fights.

There was another American general who consistently thwarted the British with vastly inferior forces. I'm only halfway through the Revolutionary War history, but I'm sure this Benedict Arnold fellow has a fine career ahead of him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The biggest losers of course were the Bourbons. And the poor freemen on either side.

EDIT: Oh, and all the Native American tribes in North America.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 15, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

feedmegin posted:

One would assume 'if battleship development had continued' implies 'noone invents the aircraft carrier' and thus also neither aircraft nor missilea.

But... aircraft developed independently of naval doctrine?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's not like they broke the dicks off all the statues

e: boo someone already beat me

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

What if they are large, barbarous penises rather than small, civilized ones

the more penis per statue the better, imo

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now I am wondering if they ever made dong shaped rams in the Ancient world. Too low brow even for the Romans?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Everything is a dong shaped ram if you're brave enough

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BEHOLD FIENDS, THE TAINT OF MARS!

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Nebakenezzer posted:

So is the constant breakdown thing because it was not well designed, or because it is old?

Its just that turbine engines have a shorter (by a wide margin) lifespan than similar size diesels and shorter mean time between failures. The worst example of this was the t80 where 500 hours of operation was design requirement but was very rarely reached in real life. M1 is nowhere near as bad but still way less durable than a similar power diesel.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

More USA Chemical and "Fire" Bombs. Which bombs are filled with mustard gas, W.P., gasoline gel, Napalm, and more! Just what exactly is PWP? What is the dispersal area for a 500-pound AN-M76 bomb, and what is its contents - PT 1 - composed of? How fast can a 1,000-pound Chemical bomb cover an area 100-yards in diameter after "detonating"? What gasoline-Napalm mixture do the "fire bombs" use, and why is Marinco powder used along with it?

All that and more at the blog!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Gaius Marius posted:

If you'd bothered to a read the article city officials have already said that it did no harm to the statue. I would strongly urge anyone here or otherwise who adovocates such "hot takes" that statues should be vandalized are doing so from their actual feelings about something, or if their just doing it to be cool internet kids and fit in. Either way it's pathetic.

Hah holy poo poo are you for real? It’s a mildly funny thing some kid did with zero negative consequences to the statue.

The really funny thing is that official going all :monocle: over it like it’s serious vandalism.

The loving HILARIOUS thing is you white knighting that official and acting like someone just desiccated the tomb of the unknown soldier by chiseling dicks into it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gaius Marius posted:

If you'd bothered to a read the article city officials have already said that it did no harm to the statue. I would strongly urge anyone here or otherwise who adovocates such "hot takes" that statues should be vandalized are doing so from their actual feelings about something, or if their just doing it to be cool internet kids and fit in. Either way it's pathetic.

They vandalized it as much as a wreath vandalizes the tomb of the unknown soldier jfc

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think removing the googly eyes should be considered vandalism.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Lone Badger posted:

I think removing the googly eyes should be considered vandalism.

I mean there is precedent for the eye thing

like imagine this uhhh conversation piece glaring at everyone walking in your front door.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
If he reacts like this to Nathaniel Greene's statue, I'm curious about how he survived learning of Piss Christ

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Gaius Marius prescribes death for the granny responsible for Monkey Jesus

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Gaius Marius prescribes death for the granny responsible for Monkey Jesus

harsh but fair

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/oct/16/battle-of-hastings-revisited-reenact-1066

quote:

‘My wife describes my hobbies as: hitting people, hitting people, hitting people and hitting people. I used to practise Kendo, Japanese sword-fencing, in a church hall in Gillingham, and one day a big hairy guy said to me: “What’s going on in there then?” When I showed him, he told me he did sword and shield combat. He had long red hair down to his bum, so I said: “What are you then, a Viking?” He said he was, and I’ve been doing re-enactments ever since.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i mean that's p much who we are and what we're about

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But... aircraft developed independently of naval doctrine?

Yes, not disagreeing, just saying that for battleships to have continued to have developed, it would probably have been necessary for aircraft never to have been invented. More or less as soon as you invent them someone's going to think of putting one on a boat.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing that really killed battleships was the nuclear sub. CIWS is a thing and you can stack enough on a big platform to be pretty safe (admittedly this will never be cost effective vs the risk) but you can't stop a torpedo.

e: but it's not just a vulnerability thing, past 1945 Battleships suffered an obvious 'what's the point' problem. There are no ships to fight and coastal bombardment can either be done more effectively by cruisers or naval aviation (they didn't roll battleships in to smash up Japan's ports, it was the carriers doing that job).

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Alchenar posted:

The thing that really killed battleships was the nuclear sub. CIWS is a thing and you can stack enough on a big platform to be pretty safe (admittedly this will never be cost effective vs the risk) but you can't stop a torpedo.

That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. If the nuclear sub killed the BB, why didn’t it kill all other major surface combatants? Because those can be protected by ASW. But if ASW can protect carriers and cruisers and oilers, why can’t it protect the BBs too? A BB isn’t much more vulnerable to sub attack than any other ship in the battle group.

CIWS is useful against subsonic sea skimmers like Harpoon, Exocet, Silkworm, etc, but a BB isn’t going to be gravely threatened by those anyway. It is entirely overmatched by the missiles that would be used against BBs.

It’s much more this:

quote:

e: but it's not just a vulnerability thing, past 1945 Battleships suffered an obvious 'what's the point' problem. There are no ships to fight and coastal bombardment can either be done more effectively by cruisers or naval aviation (they didn't roll battleships in to smash up Japan's ports, it was the carriers doing that job).