Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, as someone who hasn't played since before Eternal Throne, is the game still playable? I've burnt out on WoW for the time being and am looking for some [more or less] single player RPG goodness again. Thinking I might play one of my old characters through Eternal Throne if it's not too big of a slog, or just make a brand new character.

And since the TOR website has proven frustrating trying to find any details about the free to play mode, what are the restrictions like if I used to have a sub but don't necessarily want to sub now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

So, as someone who hasn't played since before Eternal Throne, is the game still playable? I've burnt out on WoW for the time being and am looking for some [more or less] single player RPG goodness again. Thinking I might play one of my old characters through Eternal Throne if it's not too big of a slog, or just make a brand new character.

And since the TOR website has proven frustrating trying to find any details about the free to play mode, what are the restrictions like if I used to have a sub but don't necessarily want to sub now?

I kind of did the same recently. Basically if you want to do any of the Eternal Throne stuff, you'll have to sub for a month to unlock it. But I'm pretty sure a month's sub unlocks all current content, and anything that comes out before your sub ends.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunter Noventa posted:

I kind of did the same recently. Basically if you want to do any of the Eternal Throne stuff, you'll have to sub for a month to unlock it. But I'm pretty sure a month's sub unlocks all current content, and anything that comes out before your sub ends.

Fair enough. Discovering this evening that the game is as slow to download/install as ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does the patcher still thrash your install drive to 100% disc usage?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

Does the patcher still thrash your install drive to 100% disc usage?

Nah, it's not giving me any issues like that. It's just being slow as hell.

I last played two years ago, according to my account record. I guess it was too much to hope for that they'd fixed the game's terrible optimization issues during that time.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro
swcantina2018

Code for free flair from the stream. Good till end of the year. Yay?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Made a new bounty hunter, made it to Dromund Kaas, zoned in to people discussing what jawas look like naked and how sex with jawas works for other species. It's like I never left. :allears:

Preferred mode is surprisingly generous. I can't play Eternal Throne, but I have fourteen active character slots and none of the restrictions seem too onerous - went ahead and bought the account-wide hide helmet unlock since there's sweet gently caress all to spend cartel coins on besides a hilarious variety of garbage looking cosmetic armor and weapons.

And the xp gain is insane. My bounty hunter is level 19 when fresh to Dromund Kaas.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Cythereal posted:

Made a new bounty hunter, made it to Dromund Kaas, zoned in to people discussing what jawas look like naked and how sex with jawas works for other species. It's like I never left. :allears:

Preferred mode is surprisingly generous. I can't play Eternal Throne, but I have fourteen active character slots and none of the restrictions seem too onerous - went ahead and bought the account-wide hide helmet unlock since there's sweet gently caress all to spend cartel coins on besides a hilarious variety of garbage looking cosmetic armor and weapons.

And the xp gain is insane. My bounty hunter is level 19 when fresh to Dromund Kaas.

Well, as far as XP goes, there's a double XP event going right now - but it's still pretty quick to level up.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I had nothing better to do today and realized it's been several years since I saw the Bounty Hunter story, so I rolled one up. After years of following these threads I can't use Tracer Missile or Fusion Missile without giggling.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 14, 2018

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Cythereal posted:

hilarious variety of garbage looking cosmetic armor and weapons.

There are quite a few armors that could be improved by removing some extra bits - spikes on a lot of Sith armor, the big shoulder pad on Sith Recluse, lowering hoods, etc.

The ability to dye glowy bits of armor would help too. Also going back and redoing some of the low-res older armors.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They just released terminals in the Cartel Market that let you "disguise" yourself, complete with ability bars.

You can become a Hutt.

And possibly enough to bring Oedzi back to the game, you can become a Twilek Dancer.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Medullah posted:

They just released terminals in the Cartel Market that let you "disguise" yourself, complete with ability bars.

You can become a Hutt.

And possibly enough to bring Oedzi back to the game, you can become a Twilek Dancer.

:neckbeard:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Medullah posted:

You can become a Hutt.

All I want to know is whether you can keep the disguise in combat and/or during cutscenes.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I want to able to combine the two into a Hutt dancer, but oh well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

All I want to know is whether you can keep the disguise in combat and/or during cutscenes.

Sadly no, it's strongholds only

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Why is this world so cruel

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

They finally made a hutt decoration, which I've wanted forever, but I'm pretty disappointed at the execution. Should have been an "arrangement" with the hutt reclining on a big lounger with a monkey lizard and one or two minions.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

SPOILER: MAAAAAALLLLGUUUUUUUSSS
Edit: fixed?

Siegkrow fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 16, 2018

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

SPOILER:MAAAAAALLLLGUUUUUUUSSS

bad spoiler etiquette

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So I just finished a character through Knights of the Fallen Empire while I'm in free to play mode.

Those who have Eternal Throne, would I likely enjoy subbing for that expansion if I thought Fallen Empire's story was so goddamn bad?

I'm honestly not sure what's worse - a rotating cast of tedious and boring villains who only win or lose by plot fiat of who has more mojo in a given cutscene (Arcann, Valkorion, Vaylin), the PC having no choice or agency at any point in the plot, the hilariously overwrought bullshit about how Arcann and the Eternal Fleet are some epic threat unlike any ever before (and please don't tell me the story is going to force me to take over the Eternal Throne), or Zakuul itself being so incredibly uninteresting. I don't even hate Zakuul, I just want the story to decide that okay there really was nothing compelling or interesting about this place and let's just never mention it again. Oh, and can't forget the one female love interest available to a female PC suddenly being cold and dark-sidey when in Shadow of Revan she was remarkably relaxed and fun to be around.

I thought Shadow of Revan was generally a step down from the launch story (with exceptions, you can only go up from the Knight, Inquisitor, and Smuggler stories), but the quality of writing and quest design drops off a loving cliff in Fallen Empire.

And seriously, "Visions in the Dark" rivals the last five minutes of Mass Effect 3 for some of the most pretentious video game writing I've ever seen while failing to plot its way out of a wet paper bag.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
KOTET is written like mediocre fanfiction because that's what it is. It's not WoW level bad writing, but it's not as good as anything in the class stories. Doubtful anything else ever will be. Temper your expectations and it's fine.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
It's likely you wouldn't find much to like about the storyline unless you can turn off the critical part of your brain while experiencing it (and that is probably true for most of Star Wars, and MMOs).

The raid bosses on Iokath are actually quite complex and well designed, if I were inclined to spend much more time playing TOR I'd have enjoyed doing them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So no, I shouldn't subscribe and pretend the game ends with Shadow of Revan, gotcha. I can work with that.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cythereal posted:

(and please don't tell me the story is going to force me to take over the Eternal Throne)

Okay, I won't tell you this.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
:same:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cythereal posted:

So no, I shouldn't subscribe and pretend the game ends with Shadow of Revan, gotcha. I can work with that.

The story is going back to Imperial vs republic in December, and as long as you're level 70 it will give you the option to completely skip KOTFE/KOTET to start that storyline.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

The story is going back to Imperial vs republic in December, and as long as you're level 70 it will give you the option to completely skip KOTFE/KOTET to start that storyline.

Can't hit level 70 without owning KOTET. :v:

I'll pay closer attention and see if the writing improves with this Ossus stuff, I suppose.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Cythereal posted:

Can't hit level 70 without owning KOTET. :v:

I'll pay closer attention and see if the writing improves with this Ossus stuff, I suppose.

You could buy a Masters Datacron from the CM.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is jedi consular still the best

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pryce posted:

Okay, I won't tell you this.

I didn’t play any of the post-kotet content but the good news is that you’d never know you were the emperor of the galaxy based on how little changes

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

They hosed up hard by not having you fly the Eternal Fleet into a star and use one of the random doomsday weapons floating around to blow up Iokath. They have a great plot line sitting in their laps about how decades of war have stripped the galaxy of resources and thrown trillions into abject poverty, but they decide to make Super Droid World the answer to that and that was as lazy as pivoting from Valkorion's bored civilization builder aesthetic at the beginning of FE.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If anyone hasn't played in a while, you can use the code REVANSFATE to unlock the Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Shadow of Revan expansions, which will allow you to level to 60 and play what is generally considered the best stories in the game outside of the original class stories. This code is active until 11/1 - you will keep the content, but no longer be able to use the code after that.

Also, SWCANTINA18 will give you a "flair" which is a set of symbols around your character.

Go to code redemption to activate them.

And of course, shameless plug that using my referral link will give you 7 days of subscriber benefits if you were a previous sub.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Quoting from Reddit because this poo poo is hilarious.

Reddit thread posted:

r/swtorOther
I had no idea what dumbasses Sith Lords were.
u/Alpha537
I swear, half my time as an Imperial agent is spent cleaning up there messes! Lol. Some stupid apprentices think they can siphon power from the dark Temple and OH LOOK they hosed up and now there’s force ghosts or some poo poo spilling out! Guess who’s job it is to fix it. WHAT? some Sith Lords gone Rogue trying to prove what a big dick he’s got and is using loyal Imperial soldiers as test subjects? Now I gotta go in and put em down! And let’s not forget the slave revolts AND the rampant sabotage AND the “mY pOweR iS nOt To BE QueSTioNEd, i’M AlwAys thE SmARteSt One In tHe RooM anD MY pLaNS NEVER BacKFirE!” Mentality. (Sigh). Not to mention how everything’s gotta be “dark”. The DARK side, the DARK Council, the DARK Temple.... you know, after a while that word stops having any meaning! Hold on, I need to put some DARK sweetener into my DARK Starbucks while filling out my DARK 401k. There are colors other than black, you guys DO know that right? If you opened the blinds or moisturized once in a while Your complexion would probably be a lot better too. Sheesh.

(Jk, jk. Only talking about the npc Sith)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

Congratulations, Reddit poster, you got The Point.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Siegkrow posted:

idk if he understands the purpose of a 401k

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

So I've got the strange urge to play SWTOR, again. Instead of doing the sensible thing and sitting down in a darkened room until that urge passes I've started redownloading the game. Which classes are actually fun to play these days and where if anywhere do goons hang out? For reference back in the day (Rise of the Hutt Cartel) I put a good few hours into whatever the tank spec was for the Jedi Guardian and the sniper spec for Imperial Agents so I'm kinda interested in picking those classes up again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ferrosol posted:

So I've got the strange urge to play SWTOR, again. Instead of doing the sensible thing and sitting down in a darkened room until that urge passes I've started redownloading the game. Which classes are actually fun to play these days and where if anywhere do goons hang out? For reference back in the day (Rise of the Hutt Cartel) I put a good few hours into whatever the tank spec was for the Jedi Guardian and the sniper spec for Imperial Agents so I'm kinda interested in picking those classes up again.

Most goons don't play anymore. There's a few of us, I've referred a few people to other guilds on Star Forge. We have a goon guild but there's rarely more than 1-2 people on anymore.

All the classes are still good, so whatever you enjoy playing you can play. :) Sniper is really good in PvP if that's your thing.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
One of the major changes since Hutt Cartel is that companions can freely switch between specs and are much more powerful so it's easy to play whatever class/spec you like when soloing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Though unfortunately you still can't refuse companions. My bounty hunter campaign has been grinding to a halt between Belsavis being terrible in general and Skadge just being the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
You can kill skadge during KotFE, if you want.