Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Started Hill House last night, and I'm only 3 episodes in so far, but I feel like the scares are on par with most horror movies these days. Nothing too special, but I'll keep with it since it's at least holding my attention. Most tv shows lose me at the 2nd or 3rd episode, and I always worry that the majority of the content will just be padded out story content in order to lengthen the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Director of Hill House is one of the best directors in horror right now.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Director of Hill House is one of the best directors in horror right now.

Mike Flanagan also directed last year's excellent Gerald's Game, one of the best Netflix originals and one of the best horror films on the platform right now. The man does great work.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Any sexual violence in Hill House?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Any sexual violence in Hill House?

I'm not done with it yet, but so far no. There is some implied/discussed in ep 3. but not in detail.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Haunting of Hill House is a great ride. Get on it! Also, in case you fancy vsmpires, Blade and Blade 2 are on Netflix!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not done with it yet, but so far no. There is some implied/discussed in ep 3. but not in detail.

Excellent, horror can be a minefield when trying to find stuff to watch with my wife.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Nroo posted:

So if anybody's looking forward to Gareth Evan's Apostle on Netflix on the 12th but is also impatient for The Raid 3, Netflix is also putting out on the 19th the new Indonesian action film starring much of The Raid's cast called The Night Comes for Us, by co-director of Safe Haven, Timo Tjahjanto. Reviews from Fantastic Fest have been great but there's been no trailer or promotion by Netflix.

Trailer's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfSisHrUTLM

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Enos Cabell posted:

Excellent, horror can be a minefield when trying to find stuff to watch with my wife.

I'm on episode 3 and I would actually say avoid it, there's a pretty big plot point about a foster kid being sexually abused.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Medullah posted:

I'm on episode 3 and I would actually say avoid it, there's a pretty big plot point about a foster kid being sexually abused.

That is however not shown or heard for that matter just figured out.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Gas, Grub and Ghosts on Amazon. I'm five minutes in and so far they've documented three gas station chains with their potato chips and flavored coffee. They're freakin out at a Wawa right now, but they're headed into Pennsylvania, so I think they're about to have their minds blown by a Sheetz.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Gas, Grub and Ghosts on Amazon. I'm five minutes in and so far they've documented three gas station chains with their potato chips and flavored coffee. They're freakin out at a Wawa right now, but they're headed into Pennsylvania, so I think they're about to have their minds blown by a Sheetz.

Sound riveting.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Junkie Disease posted:

That is however not shown or heard for that matter just figured out.

Spoiler for Episode 3 of Hill House Theo does psychically re-enact it in a way that could be triggering, however. If you want to skip it just jump ahead a few minutes when she heads down into the basement..

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Sheetz is like if they made a food court with "truck stop" as the theme.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I watched ep1 of hill house and I am absolutely down for this poo poo, hell yeah

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sheetz is like if they made a food court with "truck stop" as the theme.

I loved Sheetz when I moved to Virginia, then a friend recommended Wawa, describing it as "a healthier Sheetz".

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell is a really fun horror baking show. I put it on because I wanted something in a Halloween mood with the kiddo in the room and was surprised how much I liked it. It is essentially a cross between Martha Stewart and the non-movie part of MST3K, but horror themed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Kindergarten Teacher is an interesting concept, well acted, and well shot, but it ends up dragging on and doesn't get anywhere.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Finished Hill House and they really nailed the ending. I feel like most of my enjoyment of the horror genre comes from seeing how the writers try to write themselves out of these enormous holes they put themselves in with their premises and IMO a large number of them fail but the way this wrapped up felt really heartfelt and was so well written and acted.

Tall cane guy was the best ghost

Tainen fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 15, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Tainen posted:

Episode 6 of Haunting of Hill House was a series of 10ish minute continuous shots and it was fantastic. If they can end on a good note this could be one of the best Netflix originals.

We just watched this episode last night, it was awesome. The thing I love about long takes is that you typically don't notice them until a few minutes in and then it's a game of seeing how long they can last or where they hide the cuts.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i too loved the haunting of hill house, but i felt it suffered just a little from "the netflix problem" in that it had too many episodes. i think it would have been better with maybe only 8 episodes and the story still could have been told but in a tighter way. maybe they could cut a few of the 10 minute monologues that each character gives every episode. i liked that they tried to make the dialogue a little more literary but people do not talk that way. these are small complaints though as the first 6 episodes were so loving good.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i too loved the haunting of hill house, but i felt it suffered just a little from "the netflix problem" in that it had too many episodes. i think it would have been better with maybe only 8 episodes and the story still could have been told but in a tighter way. maybe they could cut a few of the 10 minute monologues that each character gives every episode. i liked that they tried to make the dialogue a little more literary but people do not talk that way. these are small complaints though as the first 6 episodes were so loving good.
I agree with this almost exactly. I'll add that I thought Episode 5 was the best of the season.

I disagree generally with most people in that I did not like the ending at all.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Apostle was really loving good

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A Bridge Too Far just got put on Prime Video.

Solid classic war movie with a stacked cast, good for having on while you drink heavily and look at your phone.

12 Angry Men, also. I can't be the only Henry Fonda fanboy here. He was so drat good in everything.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
5 episodes into the Haunting of Hill House and this poo poo is legit

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

How is Ozarks? I like Jason Bateman or whatever his name is

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 16, 2018

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's really good go watch it

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah it's excellent. Watch it foo!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Frog Act posted:

How is Ozarks? I like Jason Bateman or whatever bjs name js

S1 is good and but in S2 they run out of ideas and start to spin their wheels a bit

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

S1 is good and but in S2 they run out of ideas and start to spin their wheels a bit

I liked S2 more than S1 but either way it's definitely a show to watch.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Queen Combat posted:

I liked S2 more than S1 but either way it's definitely a show to watch.

I also liked season 2 significantly more than 1.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I felt like they kept going back to the "now you gotta do a thing for me...in 24 hours!!!" well a few too many times. In addition to a bunch of the plot threads becoming really silly and overblown.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hill House is a Thrill house (of slow burns!)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One small issue I have with hill house is that much of the horror comes soooooo close to nailing it, but just misses the mark by a little bit for me. Theres conceptually a lot of good scares, but they always seem to show a little too much or linger too long to the point where it really doesn't feel as spooky as it could. It's like the show is trying to remind me it's just an actor with white makeup on their face.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I generally don't like horror. Especially shlocky body horror (saw, hostel, human cent), sex-rapist-etc horror, or supernatural (specifically aliens) horror. The Mist is the only exception so far to that rule. Witches and stuff are OK. The only season of American Horror Story that I thought was good was the first one, though I've only seen the first four seasons. The original Grudge and Ringu were pretty okay, but I'll only ever see them a single time. I guess the closest I've ever gotten to anything "horror-like" recently have been serial killer shows and documentaries (Mindhunter included). For some reason I liked the terrible 2005 film Hide and Seek.

Y'all are really making me want to watch Haunting of Hill House tho

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

This show makes me think that McDowell's Blackwater movie could be made into a true to its nature series.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I've been watching Hill House with my gf and its really good.

I really liked how they used Resident Evil 4 style over the shoulder camera in the episode...6? It almost felt like intentional nod to video games.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Crows Turn Off posted:

I disagree generally with most people in that I did not like the ending at all.

yeah i didnt like it either, but i expect to not like the ending to horror things in general.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I didn't love or hate the ending personally. I would have liked a little more horror or gore throughout the show but it was still pretty great overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm not done with Hill House yet. It is kind of "horror"ish but its almost more like a Drama series about a family where one of the family members is a haunted house.