Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

All of you complaining about plot holes aren't considering that the game takes place in the far off year of 2019.

:smith:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

One thing I actually don't get why they had the defense attorney and the assistant switch places from Dual Destinies on.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

One thing I actually don't get why they had the defense attorney and the assistant switch places from Dual Destinies on.

The dark side of the law means that attorney's are now in the role of the bad guy! Or not quite enlightened guy?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

What the gently caress, I've never noticed that before but it totally happened

You're blowing my mind here

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Cinematically, there's a thing that's known as 'crossing the line'. I don't mean in a narrative sense, but spatially. The 'camera' 'should' stay on one side of the scene (or fluidly move over to the other side) otherwise you can get an unsettling effect of, say, characters jump-cut transforming into one another or not being able to figure out where Maya is in fact standing even though you have eyes and can see exactly where because said crossed line has bent your brain precisely enough to confuzzle it. *cough*

The newer positioning of assistants complies with this notion of not crossing the line (although the wide shot of the courtroom still does not. One point for the anime I guess, if you're a film nerd.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I guess it makes more sense from the judge’s seat to not have them there since they would be speaking to the lawyer more often?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I would guess it's partly because they now have the technology to show both of them on screen at once; with the old arrangement that would have given the assistant the more prominent position, closer to the camera.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn't know if we had a megathread for this series or not so I'll just stick this here. The Phoenix Wright anime has been revived starting from the 3rd game and the first episode aired this morning.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Every AA game on 3DS is on sale on the eShop and I bought all of them

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

waiting for those switch versions

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I find the anime series kinda too faithful for me. There's not much reason watching when you have already played the game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Season 3 is doing some stuff with switching up the order of things. It began with 2-1 as a reintroduction to Phoenix and is going right into 3-2, presumably to get right to Godot and put the Mia cases closer together.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Huh, well, I guess they gotta introduce Maggey somewhere. Now I’m curious about whether we’re gonna go 3-1 -> 3-4 or 3-4 -> 3-1.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My guess is 3-1 after 3-2, once Godot's grudge is established, then 3-3, then maybe putting 3-4 in the middle of 3-5, like between when Phoenix falls in the river and when Edgeworth takes over.

E: Actually, that would make a whole lot of sense, because 3-4 is framed as Phoenix looking into old case files while he's in the hospital

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

why the gently caress are they doing it like that

goddamnit

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Guys. They did it. They caught the masked thief, Mask☆DeMasque :stare:

And Wright is defending him?! Why would he defend a robber turned killer?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Guys. They did it. They caught the masked thief, Mask☆DeMasque :stare:

And Wright is defending him?! Why would he defend a robber turned killer?

By 'they' you mean Luke Atmey, genius detective, right?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So uh, I've been kinda wondering since I've only seen it in text... how do you pronounce the ☆ part of Mask☆DeMasque?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Momomo posted:

So uh, I've been kinda wondering since I've only seen it in text... how do you pronounce the ☆ part of Mask☆DeMasque?

☆. ★ if you're from the east coast.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Momomo posted:

You pronounce it by doing jazz hands.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Someone's trying to out-blatant racism Harry Potter.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I watched the first season of the anime, and the animation quality looked they were working with the exact same animation budget they had for the first GBA game. Has that changed at all?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

John Lee posted:

I watched the first season of the anime, and the animation quality looked they were working with the exact same animation budget they had for the first GBA game. Has that changed at all?

Yes, thankfully. It's not a sakuga-fest or a shining example of storyboarding and cinematography, but it's pleasant enough to look at now.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Good, good.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the new season's op so bad compared to the 2nd.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It has Edgeworth smiling though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

:eyepoop:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Whoa, what the gently caress?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I’m not cool enough to act like I know what that says. Little help?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The billboard behind the building in the middle says "Jew Bank"

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

the_american_dream posted:

I’m not cool enough to act like I know what that says. Little help?

It's the blue building sign in the middle of the screen.

edit: ^^^welp

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One of my favorite WWII anecdotes is that when Japan formally joined the axis powers, the Germans sent them a bunch of Nazi propaganda. The Japanese top brass, unburdened by centuries of historic anti-Semitism, read this and reasoned “holy poo poo, these ‘Jews,’ whatever that means, sure know how to handle their money. We need to get in on this” and set up a migration program specifically to entice Jews to move to Japan and take up positions in banking. For some reason, it never really took off. I guess the notion that Jews are people who are good at handling money, and that this is not a problematic thing to say, is still alive and well in Japan.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Oh dear

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

https://twitter.com/oikvw/status/1053408325188997120?s=21

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I taught at a very rural high school in Japan (town of 15k, next to an 80k city but 50 or so miles from a real big city) and when I finally told one class I was Jewish they were insanely surprised. Pretty sure they had never met a Jewish person before. There's an interesting book about anti-Semitic history in Japan that I read a bit of after that and basically they think Jews are magical because of Nazis.

My class was even more surprised when the Indonesian exchange student girl revealed she was a Muslim.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

So I'm at the first trial of SoJ's final case right now and it's reminding me of how much I miss HoboPhoenix. The fact that a couple of days ago Telling the Truth 2007 popped up on my playlist and brought back a ton of memories isn't helping either. :rip:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Hobo Phoenix was great and it felt like a natural progression of his character, especially seeing him and how he acted in the flashback Gramarye case. Able and confident, but just a little too confident, to the point of being arrogant.

Shame they did away with all that come Dual Destinies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

As much as I do like the dynamic of the Agency in DD and SOJ, yeah, it's kind of a bummer that they over corrected from Apollo Justice so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Hoboness was a good look on Mr. Feeny.