Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Thanks for the gre advice. I'll just grab the ets book and maybe another and save myself the hassle of doing a show up in person class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
*class is scheduled 11-noon* "Ok everyone please show up at 6pm promptly." The gently caress is this poo poo.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Woof Blitzer posted:

*class is scheduled 11-noon* "Ok everyone please show up at 6pm promptly." The gently caress is this poo poo.

Copy/pasted syllabus.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Grem posted:

Copy/pasted syllabus.

Oh my god

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

*turning in homework late pre military*
Whatev its fine

*turning in a single homework assignment for all classes late in a semester post military*
Good Afternoon Dr. Professor, I got you this single malt and this deeply heartfelt card. I am extremely apologetic that I read this deadline wrong. Please do not put this on my permanent record.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Thats so loving true. I had some disability stuff happen and couldnt make class. Sent a page of an email and the professor wrote back "ok" and thats it.

My photo assistant took the best loving picture this weekend and it made me really proud of her and how shes growing as a photographer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

This is just missing the dip and spit bottle

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Vasudus posted:

It's really easy to pick out prior military people if you know what you're looking for, unless they're exceptionally good at hiding it and even then. It's a taint that will never leave fully.
We take the Uniform off, but it never leaves...

SquirrelyPSU posted:

*turning in homework late pre military*
Whatev its fine

*turning in a single homework assignment for all classes late in a semester post military*
Good Afternoon Dr. Professor, I got you this single malt and this deeply heartfelt card. I am extremely apologetic that I read this deadline wrong. Please do not put this on my permanent record.

*Looks at super apologetic Email I just sent because I was too Busy making GBS threads my brains out to go to class*

I feel attacked.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MrDesaude posted:

*Looks at super apologetic Email I just sent because I was too Busy making GBS threads my brains out to go to class*

I feel attacked.

I turned it in two days late today and he's like "You know I'm going to have to mark soooome points for this" and I had to stop him and go, "I messed up, your policy is in the syllabus, I'm not making excuses for not looking at my calendar which has all of this CLEARLY laid out".

Meanwhile, I am taking a sick day from work tomorrow to sit in my pajamas and do a take home midterm.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I turned it in two days late today and he's like "You know I'm going to have to mark soooome points for this" and I had to stop him and go, "I messed up, your policy is in the syllabus, I'm not making excuses for not looking at my calendar which has all of this CLEARLY laid out".

Meanwhile, I am taking a sick day from work tomorrow to sit in my pajamas and do a take home midterm.

Ouch. Fortunately for me, I handled my midterms last week.
I am caught up on all of my work somehow, and just need to get the lab assignments from yesterday.
I'm going to be in the clean room tomorrow anyhow, so I may as well just take the extra time and get caught up.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MrDesaude posted:

Ouch. Fortunately for me, I handled my midterms last week.
I am caught up on all of my work somehow, and just need to get the lab assignments from yesterday.
I'm going to be in the clean room tomorrow anyhow, so I may as well just take the extra time and get caught up.

That magical moment known as "Oh, wow, I'm like three weeks ahead"

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

MrDesaude posted:

I feel attacked.

I teach at a University and from the other side of the isle, let me tell you, I love my non-moto vets. They do poo poo perfect according to my instructions and it's wonderful. The last assignment was a 2-4 page paper. I have to lay out to the freshmen that 2 pages means words to the bottom and not loving with margins to reduce the need to write. One of my vets delivered a perfect 2 page paper that was well written, done to my instructions perfectly. It was so nice to see after docking points for the 18-19 year olds.

This school has a pretty big vet community and it's pretty mellow, which is awesome.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Statistical programming in R was a bad choice. Even worse, its followed by Data Analytics which is another 2 hours of SQL. I now spend most of my week playing spot the ' in the wrong place.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I need to make sure I don't take physics and calculus on the same day again next semester because this is killing me

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah, that's a lot of heavy braining to take in on the same day.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

SquirrelyPSU posted:

That magical moment known as "Oh, wow, I'm like three weeks ahead"
No poo poo. It is good to be locked in.
My Lab assignments were sham as hell.

Lab 1: Move 10 Silicon Wafers from Cassette 1 to Cassette 2, and reseal box.
Lab 2: Solder 3 Through-hole resistors on board and test.
Lab 3: Solder 3 Surface mount resistors and test.

Burning Beard posted:

I teach at a University and from the other side of the isle, let me tell you, I love my non-moto vets. They do poo poo perfect according to my instructions and it's wonderful. The last assignment was a 2-4 page paper. I have to lay out to the freshmen that 2 pages means words to the bottom and not loving with margins to reduce the need to write. One of my vets delivered a perfect 2 page paper that was well written, done to my instructions perfectly. It was so nice to see after docking points for the 18-19 year olds.

This school has a pretty big vet community and it's pretty mellow, which is awesome.

As someone who took a semester at 17, botched, went to the military, and came back to try again at 30, it feels like High School standards for college prep are... lax.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Thank my vet status for early registration. Only 20 seats for the advanced physical chem lab I need to graduate. :smug:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

The Aardvark posted:

Thank my vet status for early registration. Only 20 seats for the advanced physical chem lab I need to graduate. :smug:

I tried to use it at transferring in next semester to OSU and they wouldn't let me. Have to do it at orientation with an advisor per school policy (I've already met with an advisor woo)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've got 6 classes left in my Masters program with enough GI bill to cover one quarter. Full time status is 2 classes. Can I take 4 classes with my remaining GI bill benefits? If it matters, I attend a private college with the yellow ribbon program.

Basically I'm working out the idea of taking 3 months away from working to put a serious dent in school while minimizing how much I would have to pay for out of pocket.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

rifles posted:

I tried to use it at transferring in next semester to OSU and they wouldn't let me. Have to do it at orientation with an advisor per school policy (I've already met with an advisor woo)

I hated OSU so much. The chemistry department is awful. They were under review while we were there for failing too many students. Every chem class I took, the average grade was 60% after the curve. If you have to take any chemistry at all, avoid Dr. Fus at all costs unless you love watching lecture videos at home and then being forced to do your homework in class, as a group, on a tablet/phone. Also he cried on 9/11 and gave this speech about how scared he was in graduate school and he "didn't think he could make it through college" after that horrible tragedy.

Last time I was around the veterans lounge there was so much drama. Not sure if it got better or worse, but stay away from all that drama.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

I've got 6 classes left in my Masters program with enough GI bill to cover one quarter. Full time status is 2 classes. Can I take 4 classes with my remaining GI bill benefits? If it matters, I attend a private college with the yellow ribbon program.

Basically I'm working out the idea of taking 3 months away from working to put a serious dent in school while minimizing how much I would have to pay for out of pocket.

Yes, so long as you maintain full time status (which used to be 9 credit hours for graduate school, I don't know if that's changed) then you can space things out however you feel you need to.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

Yes, so long as you maintain full time status (which used to be 9 credit hours for graduate school, I don't know if that's changed) then you can space things out however you feel you need to.

Yea basically I want the last quarter to cover as many classes as possible before finishing out the degree on my own. I feel like taking a brief hiatus from work to do so wouldn’t be frowned upon when I go back on the job search.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Sarah posted:

I hated OSU so much. The chemistry department is awful. They were under review while we were there for failing too many students. Every chem class I took, the average grade was 60% after the curve. If you have to take any chemistry at all, avoid Dr. Fus at all costs unless you love watching lecture videos at home and then being forced to do your homework in class, as a group, on a tablet/phone. Also he cried on 9/11 and gave this speech about how scared he was in graduate school and he "didn't think he could make it through college" after that horrible tragedy.

Last time I was around the veterans lounge there was so much drama. Not sure if it got better or worse, but stay away from all that drama.

*recites quote about GiP veterans getting over their friends dying better than this dude faces life day to day*

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Filled out the FAFSA but my income last year was around 50k, so even though this school year I am going to be lucky to clear half that, I probably won’t get jack.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Woof Blitzer posted:

Filled out the FAFSA but my income last year was around 50k, so even though this school year I am going to be lucky to clear half that, I probably won’t get jack.

File a change in income appeal or whatever with your school's financial aid office

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Woof Blitzer posted:

I still got FAFSA loans when reporting more than that.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Woof Blitzer posted:

Do the income verification adjustment form like up the bum said. You'll need tax transcripts for the year in question and this year if you want to adjust it that way. Most schools will do an estimated incoming adjustment as well but I have no experience with that.

I did one this semester because I turned 24 and am finally considered independent of my parent's income. They based my fafsa on 2016 when I was on initial active duty for training for 7 months. Basically took the year off after and my income was just drill, so doing the adjustment form doubled my pell grant to the max.

In other news, I'm being offered a single room in the OSU vet house for $748 a month. That's still under what a shared dorm costs so I'm very happy.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
True story: you can be considered financially independent at age 17 if you enlist in the Guard/Reserves/Active (meaning training complete, not DEP status) regardless of anything else. For officers you have to have fully completed your training as well so it's not nearly as useful.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Anyone have experience regarding the VA paying for classes you've taken before?

The next math required by my degree plan is Math 129 (calc 2). I received transfer credit for the prior class in the series, 125 (calc 1), but when I enrolled in 129 I immediately could tell I was in way over my head and had to drop it day 1. My calc 1 credit is from like 2002 and I've since forgotten everything I ever knew about math. I took the university's placement test which put me in 120R (precalc) so in order to get up to speed I need to retake 120R and 125, and I'm kind of expecting those to have to come out of pocket. Which also shafts me for BAH because apparently only classes that the VA is paying for count toward your BAH full-time enrollment status?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have to redo some classes and the VA does not pay if you've already passed it, even if they didn't pay the first time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Vasudus posted:

True story: you can be considered financially independent at age 17 if you enlist in the Guard/Reserves/Active (meaning training complete, not DEP status) regardless of anything else. For officers you have to have fully completed your training as well so it's not nearly as useful.

So, until this year MIT considered your parents income regardless of your age or independent status. They would only even consider changing this if you were orphaned or estranged due to domestic violence. They finally changed it so that veterans could be considered for financial aid without regard to parents income, yet they still refuse to allow the consideration for other students.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

rifles posted:

Do the income verification adjustment form like up the bum said. You'll need tax transcripts for the year in question and this year if you want to adjust it that way. Most schools will do an estimated incoming adjustment as well but I have no experience with that.

I did one this semester because I turned 24 and am finally considered independent of my parent's income. They based my fafsa on 2016 when I was on initial active duty for training for 7 months. Basically took the year off after and my income was just drill, so doing the adjustment form doubled my pell grant to the max.

In other news, I'm being offered a single room in the OSU vet house for $748 a month. That's still under what a shared dorm costs so I'm very happy.

Remember that your tax transcript is not the same as a copy of your tax return: You have to get it from the IRS.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Neato the school is letting me take the grad-level mass spec class for my last major elective for my last semester. Very exciting.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm signing up for forensics and ethics in accounting

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Talk about a course that's going to be useless in a few years.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Anyone has any tuition assistance experience in here?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hey my dudes, I met a vet today and he's having a rough time of it, having trouble with a math class. It's his second go round for this course, and he needs to pull out some magic to pass but he's pretty sure that's not gonna happen.

So someone has told him that the VA will not pay for a third attempt at a course and he's super bummed out by that, but I'm not sure that's right. It was my understanding that the VA would at least spring for 3 as long as you turned up and did your course work and didn't just flake out or withdraw or whatever.

Anyone shed some light on this? Preferably with a link so I can show him, because goddamn this poor bastard looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Is it a requirement?

I know it sounds like "duh" but he should go to the SVO and ask for a tutor. Today.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just registered for my second semester. Excited to keep going with this. Only downside is that I only get online BAH and not locational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Just registered for my second semester. Excited to keep going with this. Only downside is that I only get online BAH and not locational.

iirc you only need one physical class to get 100% of the BAH? Could be worth looking into.

I found a program that had one night course a week and wasn't 100% online for this reason, heh.