Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Jethro Tull is better

Jethro Tull unironically owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pretty much all pop culture from 1970 to 2010 was absolute poo poo, and the eighties were the worst.

That is a position I could respect if you removed "from 1970". But liking pop culture from before 1970 is insane. You're a big fan of Fibber McGee and Molly? You own the entire run of The Lawrence Welk Show on DVD? You're psychotic.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

That is a position I could respect if you removed "from 1970". But liking pop culture from before 1970 is insane. You're a big fan of Fibber McGee and Molly? You own the entire run of The Lawrence Welk Show on DVD? You're psychotic.

1. Fibber McGee and Molly owns. (I got a bunch of recordings of old radio shows as a gift when I was a kid, I'm not quite :corsair:)

2. I feel like pop culture from the 60s might have been the tiniest bit influential too.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

docbeard posted:

2. I feel like pop culture from the 60s might have been the tiniest bit influential too.

Oh yeah, who doesn't love My Three Sons and Petticoat Junction

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh yeah, who doesn't love My Three Sons and Petticoat Junction

And Star Trek. And the Beatles.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The decade of Otis Redding.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't think i personally know a single person in my age range +/- 5 years who likes the beatles. it was always a 'this is REAL music!' type thing that obnoxious teenagers enjoyed ime.

that's not to say the beatles make bad music, or whatever, but i don't think it really stands out as anything ridiculously noteworthy beyond the context of their success.

A 50S RAYGUN has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Oct 16, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
1 was basically an admission that all the Beatles' songs worth listening to fit on one album

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I was born in 1992 and I legit think the Beatles are my favourite band.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Beatles are okay but solo John Lennon is insanely overrated

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Good lord

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

...who did this to you?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ringo and George were the best Beatles, at least they knew how to have some loving fun.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the hatred of Yoko Ono is motivated mainly by misogyny.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No Yoko Ono is actually loving terrible.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Enjoying or not enjoying the Beatles is perfectly understandable either way. Enjoying the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin, however, makes you very wrong.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
It is allowed to have no strong feelings about the Beatles either way but be really annoyed when other people won’t shut up about how great they are?

There are few things I hate more than somebody trying to talk me into liking something.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

13Pandora13 posted:

Ringo and George were the best Beatles, at least they knew how to have some loving fun.

Ringo Starr is not dead

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ringo Starr is not dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV8JFj17AtY

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

i like a lot of bands but my most consistent, all-time favorite is easily pink floyd

grandad rock represent

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ommin posted:

Enjoying or not enjoying the Beatles is perfectly understandable either way. Enjoying the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin, however, makes you very wrong.

Not appreciating Exile on Main St. is a medically recognized indicator of severe mental illness.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm one of approximately seven people who legit loves Ringo's solo career. He's so stiff in an incredibly 100% earnest way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aramek posted:

I'm one of approximately seven people who legit loves Ringo's solo career. He's so stiff in an incredibly 100% earnest way.

I like Ringo's post-Beatles work better than any of the others'. John Lennon is the worst, obviously, and Imagine is just an absurdly overrated song.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

I like Ringo's post-Beatles work better than any of the others'. John Lennon is the worst, obviously, and Imagine is just an absurdly overrated song.

Ringo and John are tied for the best non-Beatles movie, though

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hard counter posted:

i like a lot of bands but my most consistent, all-time favorite is easily pink floyd

I have a handful of bands that I rotate through the "favorite" position (which is to say, not what I'm listening to a lot of at any given time, but what I'll answer with if someone asks me my "favorite band"), but damned if I don't go back to Pink Floyd a lot (Atom Heart Mother through Wish You Were Here).

It's not even particularly "good mood music." It just feels right.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tiggum posted:

I like Ringo's post-Beatles work better than any of the others'.
Narrating Thomas the Tank Engine is hard to top.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

John wrote the best songs and had the best solo stuff

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pretty much all pop culture from 1970 to 2010 was absolute poo poo, and the eighties were the worst.

You say that like it isn't still garbage.

veni veni veni posted:

No Yoko Ono is actually loving terrible.

Her art is actually really good.

Her music is...less so and as far as the story of the Beatles goes she is literally the villain.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Talk radio is better/more entertaining to listen to than music in every situation except getting drunk.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't think I could be friends with any of y'all irl

burial
Sep 13, 2002

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Talk radio is better/more entertaining to listen to than music in every situation except getting drunk.

What really bugs the poo poo out of me is that my local NPR station, really the only radio in the area one could even kinda call talk radio, transitions to all-night classical music or jazz right at the exact time I’d most love to snuggle up in bed and listen to someone read a story (which I swear was a thing when I was little.)

I know there are podcasts. I know. Sometimes I just want to turn on my little survival radio and half-listen to whatever’s on though. It’s totally different.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

burial posted:

What really bugs the poo poo out of me is that my local NPR station, really the only radio in the area one could even kinda call talk radio, transitions to all-night classical music or jazz right at the exact time I’d most love to snuggle up in bed and listen to someone read a story (which I swear was a thing when I was little.)

I know there are podcasts. I know. Sometimes I just want to turn on my little survival radio and half-listen to whatever’s on though. It’s totally different.

Agreed and this also is why I kinda miss having tv instead of just streaming everything. I listen to podcasts as I fall asleep almost every night but sometimes you just want to hear/watch something without having to actually choose a specific thing. Yesterday I was like “i wanna watch a movie with dinner” and then my dinner got lukewarm while I browsed hulu. Kinda wish I could just flip on a gameshow or some poo poo.

PHU Beatle ranking:

John
Ringo
George
Paul

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kinda wish I could just flip on a gameshow or some poo poo.

Can you not just do that? I mean, TV still exists.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHU Beatle ranking:

John
Ringo
George
Paul

Pete best.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pete best.

I like the fact that he once released an album called “Best of the Beatles” just to confuse people

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The worst or at least most tedious Beatles opinion is that Ringo was a bad drummer, which always seems to be based on the notion that you don't deserve to be called a "good drummer" unless you play like Neil Peart.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Friday the 13th Part 6 is the worst of the first 6 Friday the 13th movies.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Jason is a boring horror movie "monster"/villain and the franchise in general never really did it for me. Except Freddy vs Jason. That's the only good one.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Can you not just do that? I mean, TV still exists.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Agreed and this also is why I kinda miss having tv instead of just streaming everything.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Jason is a boring horror movie "monster"/villain and the franchise in general never really did it for me. Except Freddy vs Jason. That's the only good one.

agreed

Even Freddy vs. Jason concedes that Freddy Krueger is the better villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jason is better than Michael Myers