Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The interesting thing there is that Thu/Sauron’s magic, which Galadriel will later characterize as deception and nothing like elven magic, is clearly 1) exactly like elven magic and 2) revelatory, not deceptive. It is Felagund whose song is deception — first his previous spell which disguised them as goblins, and then his counterspell to Thu, which evokes a sanitized version of the power of the Noldor:

quote:

Thû’s chanting swelled, Felagund fought,
and all the magic and might he brought
of Elfinesse into his words.
Softly in the gloom they heard the birds
singing afar in Nargothrond,
the sighing of the sea beyond,
beyond the western world, on sand,
on sand of pearls in Elvenland.

And Thu defeats him not by being a better singer or by having greater strength of will or being a superior order of being, but by argument, by reminding him of the truth underlying “Elfinesse” and how the world is actually evil as gently caress.

quote:

Then the gloom gathered: darkness growing
in Valinor, the red blood flowing
beside the sea, where the Gnomes slew
the Foamriders, and stealing drew
their white ships with their white sails
from lamplit havens. The wind wails.
The wolf howls. The ravens flee.
The ice mutters in the mouths of the sea.
The captives sad in Angband mourn.
Thunder rumbles, the fires burn,
a vast smoke gushes out, a roar—
and Felagund swoons upon the floor.

I guess it’s not surprising that his not-yet-existent sister would be a bit defensive about this though, since Finrod’s plan was awful from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

TLDR: What happens to Men when they die in the Tolkien-verse? Does Tolkien ever paint a Resurrection-type scenario à la Catholic End-of-Days? Or is Death a final and mysterious ending that doesn't necessarily imply a rebirth?

Not to derail this conversation on magic because it's extremely interesting but I have a question regarding the mortality of Men in Tolkien. Paradise/Heaven is Valinor where the Ainur and Elves live/return to right?

Men aren't allowed there when they die. The big mystery is where do they go when they die? The books treat this both as a blessing and curse (consider the different reactions to mortality the Numenoreans have.)

Now my interpretation was that men were released from Middle Earth altogether, no Valinor, no reincarnation, no nothing just a direct joining with Iluvatar, be it a conscious being or just a Universal Force or Entity, becoming one with it or whatever. Living forever within and as God but not necessarily resurrecting in the way Catholics would see it, which from my incredibly faulty understanding is you as you living forevermore in Heaven with all the other cool kids. I'll admit this is somewhat what my own spiritual leanings are (I consider myself agnostic from a very frail Catholic background), but I find it strange that Tolkien, devout Catholic that he was, who has inserted so many Catholic metaphors and imagery in the books, isn't all that clear on the issue.

Now it's very possible he is explicit somewhere about it and I either haven't read it or misinterpreted it. Which is why I come to you guys, since you're much better versed in the matter than I am.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tolkien at least considered the idea that some of the dead will rise at the end of time, among them Túrin (to help Fionwe/Tulkas/whoever kill Morgoth) and the armament of Pharazôn who were imprisoned under Valinor. Following which elves men & everyone else join the Ainur and God in a Second Music of creation. I don’t think there’s anything pointing to theosis in the Middle-earth material though. That’s more of an Eastern Orthodox thing than a Catholic though I think eventual union with god is a technically accepted concept in pretty much every denomination.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think Tolkien ever definitively answered that. I think your idea of men joining with Illuvatar sounds plausible.

I'm glad Tolkien left so many unanswered questions. I enjoy speculating on the mysteries in the work. It's fun to wonder about the areas (Rhun etc) that we don't learn much about.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I took it as an article of faith; Men and Elves don't know where Men go when they die they just know Man's fate isn't tied with the world itself which will eventually end forever, whereas the Elves are 'bound up within the circles of the world' and so Middle Earth's fate is theirs as well. It was called the Gift of Man because to undying elves they get to escape this never ending circle of life death rebirth thing, later it became the Doom of Man because WHO KNOWS and at least knowing what's going to happen is better than not knowing at all and just having to take Manwe or whoever's word for it that whatever happens is a blessing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Doom isn’t necessarily negatively connoted word in Tolkien either (it comes from OE word meaning judgment or decision rather than like, inevitable disaster). The doom of men is what was foreordained for them, it’s only as terrible as fear makes it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The only other Doom I can think of is the Doom of Mandos and that was all around pretty bad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

There’s also a Mount and Cracks of Doom, the (One) Ring of Doom, and the master of doom by doom mastered on the scary side, but less negative are Mahanaxar the Ring of Doom, seat of the government of Valinor, Elrond’s “doom that we must deem” (a direct illustration of the archaic sense in which Tolkien could think of the word), the doom that Beren and Lúthien chose for themselves, the mighty doom laid on Eärendil, the doom that was near at hand in Faramir’s dream. Tolkien really liked the word doom. Sometimes I think he was taking the piss by just having a chapter of the book where he constantly repeats it as an onomatopoeia.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Plus I'm pretty sure there were a few Tolkien-inspired wads for Doom.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Now doom doesn't feel like a word.

Also can't believe I didn't remember MOUNT DOOM.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 8, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

There’s also a Mount and Cracks of Doom, the (One) Ring of Doom, and the master of doom by doom mastered on the scary side, but less negative are Mahanaxar the Ring of Doom, seat of the government of Valinor, Elrond’s “doom that we must deem” (a direct illustration of the archaic sense in which Tolkien could think of the word), the doom that Beren and Lúthien chose for themselves, the mighty doom laid on Eärendil, the doom that was near at hand in Faramir’s dream. Tolkien really liked the word doom. Sometimes I think he was taking the piss by just having a chapter of the book where he constantly repeats it as an onomatopoeia.

It's just as well Tolkien started the genre because using "of Doom" for everything was a one-time use thing and it's just as well he claimed it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Long ago I made myself subconsciously swap in "of Fate" for "of Doom" anywhere I saw it in Tolkien.

It's served me well.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Data Graham posted:

Long ago I made myself subconsciously swap in "of Fate" for "of Doom" anywhere I saw it in Tolkien.

It's served me well.

If only Gollum had thought of it as Mount Fate, he might have know to watch where his fate were!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

skasion posted:

Also the sound of drums.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

skasion posted:

Doom isn’t necessarily negatively connoted word in Tolkien either (it comes from OE word meaning judgment or decision rather than like, inevitable disaster). The doom of men is what was foreordained for them, it’s only as terrible as fear makes it.

This still ties into faith, though. The first thing every messenger of the Lord in the Bible says upon first showing up and scaring the piss out of whoever they're there to talk to is 'Be not afraid.' They KNOW they're scary as poo poo to mere mortals. You just have to take their word for it they're not there to hurt you. Also when you're using 'Doom' as a counterpoint to the original 'Gift' that does seem to hint at a bit of forboding. Nobody likes to be judged, even if they think the judgement's going to go in their favor.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah well. There’s certainly a reason why an OE word for judgment came to mean “you’re hosed”.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fate is also latiny latin french latin. So you can see why Tolkien would eschew it.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Ginette Reno posted:

Actually Feanor might almost be considered stronger than Sauron, at least when it comes to crafting. Even Sauron couldn't create things like the palantirs and silmarils.

I think Fëanor was waaaay stronger than Sauron (without getting all DBZ about it), Sauron was like kicking around as some balrog wannabe around the same time. (Was Sauron oringally one of Aules maia? Thats in my brain somewhere.)

Everyone was stronger and younger and more pure in the times of The Silmarillion. One of the things I've really liked about the LOTR as I've gotten older is thats its essentially post apocalyptic, the fall of the beleriand basically hosed everything and the only things left now are petty creatures with petty lives and powers, all glory is faded. Men got gifts from their much greater cousins, as a sort of sociological leg-up and were then supposed to be more or less left to their own devices, as illuvater intended.

And of course Numenor went to poo poo too. Which rules. The LOTR is a small story - set in the ruins of a much greater time. Love it.

skasion posted:

Side note but the Morgul knife isn’t sentient any more than the ring is sentient. In fact quite a bit less so. They’re both machines that afflict people in a predetermined way — and an extremely similar one, though the ring is far more powerful, complex and subtle in means — to achieve a result based on the will of the maker and the will of the victim. Weapons and other machines in Tolkien often take on the qualities or to use the author’s vocabulary, the spirit of their makers and users, which is why the only case of a weapon actually acting as if it were sentient in Tolkien is the case of a guy who is terminally spiritually busted and wishes only for annihilation and death and who had, indeed, directly identified himself with that very weapon. In extreme cases like the Ring (or Melkor cursing the world with his malevolent assertion of power over it) so much of the power and spirit of the “maker” goes into the machine that it almost seems to possess a mind of its own. But it still doesn’t quite, in Tolkien’s understanding of what that means. The ring hasn’t got a soul or a self.

This is another tolkien-thing I really love, the intention behind a physical object changes the metaphysical properties of it. Eol makes two swords out meteoric iron, one of which goes to Thingol as an upjumped strong armed tax, the other he keeps.

Anglachel goes off and has adventures, which apparently by chance are unfortunate and tragic, which just makes the blade itself worse? I recall a line about the ill will of the smith affecting the blade leading to Beleg nicking Turins wrist while freeing him? If anyone can post that that'd be rad. Like the cold voice of the iron is so evocative, and at the same time the blade blames its wielder which is disingenuous, as it has had a will of its own all this time. Just so awesome.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Southpaugh posted:

This is another tolkien-thing I really love, the intention behind a physical object changes the metaphysical properties of it. Eol makes two swords out meteoric iron, one of which goes to Thingol as an upjumped strong armed tax, the other he keeps.

Anglachel goes off and has adventures, which apparently by chance are unfortunate and tragic, which just makes the blade itself worse? I recall a line about the ill will of the smith affecting the blade leading to Beleg nicking Turins wrist while freeing him? If anyone can post that that'd be rad. Like the cold voice of the iron is so evocative, and at the same time the blade blames its wielder which is disingenuous, as it has had a will of its own all this time. Just so awesome.

“Melian” posted:

There is malice in this sword. The dark heart of the smith still dwells in it. It will not love the hand it serves, neither will it abide with you long.

That’s how Melian described the blade when they gave it to Beleg on his quest to bring Turin back, so it seems the blade is a dick no matter the wielder’s intentions.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sauron’s definitely not much of a fighter — the only times we see him in direct physical conflict with anyone else, he gets his rear end kicked. Like ok, at least he managed to kill Gil-galad and Elendil before dying, I guess we have to count that as an upgrade on getting wrestled into submission by a dog.

That said, Fëanor clearly isn’t much of a fighter either. The only battles he takes part in are the massacre of the Teleri at Swanhaven, where he just slaughters a bunch of mostly unarmed boatmen because he happened to invent swords first, and the Dagor nuinGiliath, where his performance is admittedly pretty impressive but leads to him fighting opponents he obviously can’t match and getting personally steamrolled. Though of course, that is the entire Noldorin grand strategy in a nutshell.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Crazy Larry posted:

That’s how Melian described the blade when they gave it to Beleg on his quest to bring Turin back, so it seems the blade is a dick no matter the wielder’s intentions.

Likewise the Elven Rings were crafted using arts learned from Annatar but the intention behind their making was preservation. There was never any question that the Three could be used for good but as soon as anyone sees The One (except Boromir) they know it's bad news no matter what they would try to do with it.

Inanimate objects can have a disposition but it seems more down to the heart of their creator rather than the means of making.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Southpaugh posted:

I think Fëanor was waaaay stronger than Sauron (without getting all DBZ about it), Sauron was like kicking around as some balrog wannabe around the same time. (Was Sauron oringally one of Aules maia? Thats in my brain somewhere.)

Yes, Sauron was a Maia of Aule. That explains a lot of his skill/knowledge with crafting the Rings, Barad-Dur, etc. It also helps explain his downfall because much like Saruman and Aule he was obsessed with order and he saw Melkor as the fastest and most efficient way to achieve his desires for Middle Earth.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

sunday at work posted:

Likewise the Elven Rings were crafted using arts learned from Annatar but the intention behind their making was preservation. There was never any question that the Three could be used for good but as soon as anyone sees The One (except Boromir) they know it's bad news no matter what they would try to do with it.

Inanimate objects can have a disposition but it seems more down to the heart of their creator rather than the means of making.

To add to the list of objects with their own intentions: Sam's Lothlorien rope, which unties itself when he laments about having to leave it behind otherwise.

Are there any objects like that that aren't made by either elves/Maiar though? Or is that kind of crafting part of elves' inherent "elf magic"?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The rope is just woven like a chinese finger trap. Comes loose easily when it doesn't have the weight of a fat hobbit hanging from it.

Nothing about (non-Ring) Elven crafting is magical. It's explicitly knowledge that can be learned (Aragorn's healing "powers" etc.).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The starglass is pretty magical

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

skasion posted:

The starglass is pretty magical

It's a glowstick.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Voice activated though

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
A smart glowstick.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
And now I’m visualizing Frodo and Sam stumbling into a rave in Mordor and being a hit, why does my brain do these things to itself?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MadDogMike posted:

And now I’m visualizing Frodo and Sam stumbling into a rave in Mordor and being a hit, why does my brain do these things to itself?
Congratulations, you're visualizing if Ralph Bakshi had done another LOTR movie.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

"Where there's a whip-" *crack* "There's a way"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Let me just say that this is a lovely thread to just randomly pick a page from and just read some nerdy discussions. A+ thread would nerd again.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 14, 2018

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Man, the Akallabêth is really cool. Demon worship. Human sacrifice. Men going to war against the gods. Makes me wish Tolkien actually went through with The New Shadow.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
When I was a little kid, I liked dinosaurs (which are sadly gone forever) and then steam trains (which are sadly gone forever) and later knights and castles (which are sadly gone forever) and eventually ancient languages (which are sadly gone forever) and, big surprise, ended up loving LotR, with its ever-present sense of sadness for things that are gone forever.
Anyone else find themselves tracing out a similar progression...?

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
Sure, I just think about how future generations won't know what spring or autumn is due to extreme climate change and I get to that morose place easily!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
You can still go ride a steam train

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

You can still go ride a steam train

Sometimes they even work!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's lots of places in the world where you can fight giant spiders with a big knife and a glowstick some lady gave you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There's lots of places in the world where you can fight giant spiders with a big knife and a glowstick some lady gave you.

But I already live in Australia.