Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Arist posted:

It only gets better once you get to 68 and get Enhanced Empyreal Arrow.

Also Nature's Minne at 66, which is like Convalescence with a 45 second cooldown and you can put it on whoever you want (or hog it for yourself like I always do!).

e: there's also Troubadour, which... exists!

Nature’s minne is how scholars get 32k+ critlos and shield the party with a damage shield that negates every party buster in the game that doesn’t require tank lb3. Keep that in mind if you see a scholar fishing for critlos on a warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I picked up the collectors edition on PS4 last night and started a whole new character as it's been a good while since I last played back on the PC.

I'm really impressed with the way this game handles on a controller - so far I think I even prefer it to kb&m

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
okay but what if I leveled mch

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I picked up the collectors edition on PS4 last night and started a whole new character as it's been a good while since I last played back on the PC.

I'm really impressed with the way this game handles on a controller - so far I think I even prefer it to kb&m

Controller honestly is a bit easier in the sense of having more of your abilities be easily accessible faster and without contortion.
It's seriously a really well done system. Moving around and using abilities mapped to the D-Pad is a bit of a pain though.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

Tashilicious posted:

Controller honestly is a bit easier in the sense of having more of your abilities be easily accessible faster and without contortion.
It's seriously a really well done system. Moving around and using abilities mapped to the D-Pad is a bit of a pain though.

yeah for sure, drilling into the some of the menus is clunky and I miss not being able to quickly bring up things like the hunt log or whatever but compared to other RPG's it's leagues ahead. Just need to keep a keyboard on hand for chat.
Does anyone know if you can use bluetooth keyboards with ps4?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I generally only stick Abilities on my D-Pad since the odds of me needing to move and use one of those at the same time is less than a weaponskill.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
In souls games I just use my right hand to press the dpad.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
lol if you don't use your chin to move the stick if you need to use abilities while moving

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I've never used controller for FFXIV but couldn't you just use The Claw™ from games like MHFU to get more fingers on the controller?

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

the true pro gamers path

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Algid posted:

I've never used controller for FFXIV but couldn't you just use The Claw™ from games like MHFU to get more fingers on the controller?

Yeah, but intelligent button placement is better in the long run.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Marathanes posted:

Just hit 70 SAM. Went with the 'study the blade' glam for the 70 quest.

I love that people are still using this glam. :neckbeard:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

I've had trouble in spending too much Kenki right as my Guren's ready to come off CD, so I've been keeping a closer eye on my Guren CD and adjusting how much Kenki I bank. When it gets to below 30 I check my Hagakure cd and either keep on trucking with the 35 kenki rule if I can use Haga to Guren immediately or bank up to 50 for Guren and then Haga afterward.

You'd think long cd moves would be easy to plan around but the siren call of pushing many buttons at once can get in the way of that :v:

Other than this MUST USE KENKI IMMEDIATELY issue that I also suffer from, the only other problem I still have with sam is that in a long enough fight I always seem to run into a situation where I have 3 Sen, Hagakure has like 15 seconds left on CD, and Higabana needs to be refreshed in 5. The end result is using Midare + Higabana and then leaving Hagakure unused until I'm back to 3 Sen again. It seems gross and inefficient but I don't see a way to avoid it other than hand crafting 5-10 minutes worth of button presses ahead of time and then adhering to it no matter what.

My skill timer desynch is probably a combination of high skill speed, inconsistent uptime due to mechanics (Midgardsormer :arghfist::mad:) and minor lag adding up over time.

Oh and sometimes getting Enhanced Arrow without warning!

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 16, 2018

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I'm planning on getting a cheap one for the PC for DoL purposes. Cruising with a controller should be much better I suppose.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What are the color dots on the upper right of items?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

euphronius posted:

What are the color dots on the upper right of items?

Its current dye. The dot color you're probably seeing is its default tint. Unlock it with the quest Color Your World. Not every piece of gear is dyeable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanks. I thought it was an elaborate item evaluation system.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

euphronius posted:

Thanks. I thought it was an elaborate item evaluation system.

It is, though. I'm constantly evaluating the glamour of people around me and judging the heck out of them for it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've been informed that good glamour is the primary end-game objective.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

folks i'm going to hit MCH 60 either tonight or tomorrow. i absolutely cannot stand looking at the shire phys ranged gear, so i need your suggestions for glamors!

i don't really have a style in mind, so i'm open to anyone just tossing their mch/brd glamors at me so i can come up with some ideas :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I liked that the ?new know your party role quests at level 15 give you gear that is a step up from a potato bag and oven mitts

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

euphronius posted:

I liked that the ?new know your party role quests at level 15 give you gear that is a step up from a potato bag and oven mitts

Going from that gear back to levelling gear that eventually outperforms it 10 or 15 levels later was a real bummer.

Think I'm gonna glamour back into it tonight.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Kaubocks posted:

folks i'm going to hit MCH 60 either tonight or tomorrow. i absolutely cannot stand looking at the shire phys ranged gear, so i need your suggestions for glamors!

i don't really have a style in mind, so i'm open to anyone just tossing their mch/brd glamors at me so i can come up with some ideas :)

Special Agent Francis York Morgan cosplay glam.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I've been informed that good glamour is the primary end-game objective.

where’s the lie though
last night before pulling midgardsormr (saw enrage whee) my group spent at least five minutes chattering about glamour

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's that time of year where I sub back up after a long hiatus.

Going to take my BRD for a spin this time. Where's the best place to learn how to play? Last time I loaded the BRD up Emp Arrow was King and I didn't know how to play music.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

m.hache posted:

It's that time of year where I sub back up after a long hiatus.

Going to take my BRD for a spin this time. Where's the best place to learn how to play? Last time I loaded the BRD up Emp Arrow was King and I didn't know how to play music.

I found this brief guide
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XAkAyAEwMr50wtfQTz-Vk1U4tdgfdfWg5nRIbKNNJk4/mobilebasic

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

:aaaaa:

Well at least it's thorough. Thanks.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kaubocks posted:

Since you're at 60, you can grab the sky pirates set off the mb now.

Granted the coat in the last one is a 70 coat but whatever. Also don't forget to check out the wolves den and the gear there.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
I'm starting to play this game again after Eureka burnt me out a while ago. Trying to pick a melee DPS to focus on this time. Is monk still worse than dragoon?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Kaubocks posted:

It’s a bit basic, but you can just get the mch af gear. It’s always been good, and dyeable.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

troofs posted:

I'm starting to play this game again after Eureka burnt me out a while ago. Trying to pick a melee DPS to focus on this time. Is monk still worse than dragoon?

this has never been the case

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

troofs posted:

Monk in Stormblood has always flowed better than Dragoon and brings comparable raid utility after the Brotherhood buffs. Dragoon is, imho, a clunky-rear end mess that's being propped up by Battle Litany being one of the best raidwide buffs in the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Getting up Nastrond is ridiculous.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Pros: Braindead rotation that never changes.

Cons: Has a 15 button rotation.

Why you should play? To backflip out of the raid area at every opportunity.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Vargatron posted:

Pros: Braindead rotation that never changes.

Cons: Has a 15 button rotation.

Why you should play? To backflip out of the raid area at every opportunity.

Piano rotations are good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Play DRG so I have someone to give my BRD Dragon Sight

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

There's a few things that could be done to trim the rotation down, but I know SE doesn't want to do it because there has to be enough abilities stretched out in the leveling process.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
*Nastronds with 3 seconds left on Blood, commits sudoku backflipping off a cliff*

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Honestly other than Battle Lit and piercing resistance down, goon has little going for it unless you just like the pace of the job.

Those two things add up to quite a lot if you're prog raiding but don't mean as much for more casual players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I had to switch from a controller to mouse and keyboard just to play it. Like it's fun, but there's just too many buttons there to play with.