Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The entire reason she was studying it was because Xykon was too lazy to really give the spell a once-over. Xykon can't even tell his phylactery from the fake; he may end up intuiting something not being right with Redcloak, but he's not the type to sit back and pretend. If he knew what was up, he'd be gone.

Not sure who's going to be the final enemy. If Redcloak gets convinced, they still have to kill Xykon. Potentially the snarl could be sentient even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dias posted:

It's always more annoying and less useful than the "annoying" arguments. If you want the topic to talk about OotS again so bad, loving start a conversation instead of being poo poo, or just ignore the topic, how's that?

I tried. Multiple times. And the extremely boring derail still continued.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
On a similar token though, Xykon did not say anything about One Eye's plot to test Redcloak, maybe he assumes Redcloak is just going to pussy out again (in Xykon's mind).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Who What Now posted:

I tried. Multiple times. And the extremely boring derail still continued.

Funny, because you were engaging in the discussion instead of saying anything about OotS. Take a break, dude.

edit: to keep to my word, you guys are talking about why I feel Xykon is in a "weird" position storytelling-wise here. Redcloak is way more important and it seems like he's being played, but I'unno, does he get Tarquin'd or do you have to deal with a Zykon that was just in for the long game? Right now he doesn't seem like he's very much in control.

Dias fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 16, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don't think Xykon is gonna get suckered out of this any time soon, there needs to be SOME kind of major payoff, considering the both of them pretty much had a whole prequel book to themselves. There's no way that the final conflict between them isn't a YuGiOh episode of "I knew you had a plan and I knew you knew I had a plan so I planned for your plan that you made to beat my plan."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dias posted:

Funny, because you were engaging in the discussion instead of saying anything about OotS. Take a break, dude.

edit: to keep to my word, you guys are talking about why I feel Xykon is in a "weird" position storytelling-wise here. Redcloak is way more important and it seems like he's being played, but I'unno, does he get Tarquin'd or do you have to deal with a Zykon that was just in for the long game? Right now he doesn't seem like he's very much in control.

This is a really good point, but there's an entire Chekhovs Astral Fortress to redress the balance, I wouldn't count him out

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

She didn't quite figure it out on her own, though. She had to have the MITD clue her in on the hard part.

But wasn't that hard part the fact that it was a combined arcane / divine ritual? Xykon knows that already, it being why he partnered with Redcloak at all. The more interesting thing is that Tsukiko also figured out the ritual has the wrong school elements in it to control the Snarl, and we haven't seen a hint that Xykon's twigged to that.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't think Xykon is gonna get suckered out of this any time soon, there needs to be SOME kind of major payoff, considering the both of them pretty much had a whole prequel book to themselves. There's no way that the final conflict between them isn't a YuGiOh episode of "I knew you had a plan and I knew you knew I had a plan so I planned for your plan that you made to beat my plan."

That's actually what I had envisioned between Xykon and Redcloak, kind of a Thirty Xanatos Pileup. Redcloak reveals he switched the phylacteries, and Xykon reveals that he knew all along and made a backup, and Redcloak (or TDO) reveals he had anticipated that and destroyed the backup, and Xykon announces he anticipated that they had anticipated that and made a backup backup, then Redcloak reveals that...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
As far as I know, Xykon is replaceable, but Redcloak isn’t. I see no indication that Xykon knows of a way around this.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Redcloak can be replaced by another high priest, since his part of the spell is in the cloak.

But Xykon wouldn't need to replace Redcloak if he knew what was going on because there's no spell that does what Xykon wants. That was all a lie. Unless Xykon pulls some weird thing out of his bony rear end like some way to ascend to godhood or actually being able to control the snarl, he's just a very dangerous pawn.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SlothfulCobra posted:

Redcloak can be replaced by another high priest, since his part of the spell is in the cloak.

But Xykon wouldn't need to replace Redcloak if he knew what was going on because there's no spell that does what Xykon wants. That was all a lie. Unless Xykon pulls some weird thing out of his bony rear end like some way to ascend to godhood or actually being able to control the snarl, he's just a very dangerous pawn.

I think there's like one more extremely large play left in the Xykon box, because he's been consistently and convincingly conveyed as someone you don't underestimate.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

dreadmojo posted:

I think there's like one more extremely large play left in the Xykon box, because he's been consistently and convincingly conveyed as someone you don't underestimate.

There's something from Start of Darkness that's probably going to be highly important, but I don't know how Rich is going to bring it up for the crowd who didn't read the book. The MitD is under an enchantment. If Redcloak betrays Xykon, the MitD will be compelled to eat Redcloak and spit out the phylactery.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Xykon already has one Chekhov's gun aimed at Redcloak's head, and I'd be surprised if it's the only one. The original sealing ritual was devised by mortals, and he's probably devoted some of his 8 daily hours of research to figuring it out, especially after Redcloak iced his backup divine caster for getting too close to the truth.

This whole reveal seems to set up Xykon as a hurdle to be cleared while Vaarsuvius and Redcloak actually might achieve redemption for their genocidal actions by being the ones to save the entire world for good. At least one of these is going to get subverted. I liked the one goon's theory that Belkar would ascend to godhood and tap into purple or an entirely sixth quiddity.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The crimson mantle is the only capital A Artifact in oots right?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That we know of.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Who What Now posted:

That we know of.

I'd count the gates as well, but they're less mechanically useful.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Who What Now posted:

That we know of.

Banjo.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

emptyquote.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Random Stranger posted:

I'd count the gates as well, but they're less mechanically useful.

I don't think the gods directly made those, that was all Dorukan and Lirian being smart.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shugojin posted:

I don't think the gods directly made those, that was all Dorukan and Lirian being smart.

That doesn't disqualify them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Schwarzwald posted:

That doesn't disqualify them.

Then I'm confusing Artifact with something else!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Then I'm confusing Artifact with something else!

Gods are a common source of artifacts, but legendary mortals can create them, too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Earnestly posted:

emptyquote.

Also, he's a puppet.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

dreadmojo posted:

Also, he's a puppet.

Maybe it’s more appropriate to say he’s a Puppet.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Or is it that we are all his puppets?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

dreadmojo posted:

Also, he's a puppet.

No puppet. No puppet. You’re the puppet! :smugdon:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

dreadmojo posted:

Also, he's a puppet.

Oh good! I was really getting worried there for a moment.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

W.T. Fits posted:

Oh good! I was really getting worried there for a moment.

I just realised that was a call back to the illusion spell

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Rich is still okay

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Good Norse mythology joke there.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Jack was making a stylistic choice.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Is that a bugbear we've seen before?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Is that a bugbear we've seen before?

Nod. Get treat.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
As a fan of the Valhalla comics, I appreciate the reference

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Slashrat posted:

As a fan of the Valhalla comics, I appreciate the reference

Hell yeah! The Valhalla movie was and still is one of my favorite children movies of all time! I still have my Valhalla comic book collection too. :3:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So...even if the Dark One doesn't survive this cycle, what's preventing the gods from making the exact same world over again to give rise to another goblin god?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

They don't know if the purple quiddity will ever appear again is the issue. It's a "bug" they only encountered now after countless iterations, and they have no idea how to replicate it, or if it can be replicated at all.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Plus the Dark One apparently became a god... “organically”, I suppose? If they tried to force it in the next world(s), I’d guess that any of those newly-created gods would just wind up being from one of the already existent quddities. And considering the implication that it took at least hundreds of years for TDO’s ascent to happen, and there are no guarantees that it would happen again even if the gods take a hands off approach towards letting civilizations outside of their pantheons develop, Thor at least now has a very vested interest in keeping this world around for as long as possible.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Also, there's no guarantees that each god would be willing to let things go down exactly the same way. Hel certainly wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Thor is still a redhead no matter how many comics portray him falsely. :colbert: