Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Trabisnikof posted:

I think we're talking past each other. I'm not saying the harms are to Warren or her family, yeah they're just your usual white family who want to feel cool.

I'm more talking about the cases where someone who has grown up with a tribe, who has parents who are tribal members can be legally denied tribal rights because they had too many mixed blood grandparents. Warren's self-serving argument that "she can't be native her blood is too impure" reinforces that in the public mind.

I guess the point is that whichever way you slice it, claiming or denying Native heritage through blood quantum is racist - and all the liberals who are trying to defend Warren either don't know enough about the issue to understand why it's bad or cynically don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

lol that Diamond Joe had to be invented because all the real Biden does is deliver preachy speeches and get extremely close with women and girls of all ages

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

A Handed Missus posted:

lol that Diamond Joe had to be invented because all the real Biden does is deliver preachy speeches and get extremely close with women and girls of all ages

Aren't there tons of really awkward photos that can be thrown into the public sphere now?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Lecherous biden is a NOTHINGBURGER

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Aren't there tons of really awkward photos that can be thrown into the public sphere now?

Someone post the gif, please

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I guess the point is that whichever way you slice it, claiming or denying Native heritage through blood quantum is racist - and all the liberals who are trying to defend Warren either don't know enough about the issue to understand why it's bad or cynically don't care.

yes exactly that's good and succinct way to put it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

Someone post the gif, please

which?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prester Jane posted:

I'm really curious on a demographic/age breakdown on people here who are arguing Warren hosed up vs. this was a smart move.

I have a feeling the people who think this was wise were around for the Kerry swiftboating while those who don't were not.

I was around

Kerry could have gone out and ran on his actual Vietnam record where he was violently saving his brothers in arms, then came home and protested an illegal war which featured countless crimes against humanity. and instead Kerry smashed the decorum button like a loving tool.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Imagine owning yourself so hard that even the most unimaginative people possible can dunk on you at will.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
If you're in favor of destroying the Democratic party, Biden 2020 seems like the most viable path.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Biden would have already been taken down if he did anything substantial

he's not a rapist like bill clinton

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Thoguh posted:

Imagine owning yourself so hard that even the most unimaginative people possible can dunk on you at will.

The SUCC is getting mixed in with right-wing pure-strain bullshit.

I'm very down for deplugging the white woman's thirst for minority validation when she's not lived a day or done fuckall for any of us, but it shouldn't be conflated with the rancid poo poo dripping out of the right.

https://twitter.com/carlzimmer/status/1052225045639176192

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

you say that like bill clinton got taken down

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

When was the last time a sexual assault actually ended a political career?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The crazy thing about all of this is how easy it would have been for Warren to get a win here! Take the DNA test, then throw it out, and instead of wasting time on her ancestry release a video on, like, voting rights or poverty or sexual assault in NA populations.

loving Clinton staffer bullshit.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

The SUCC is getting mixed in with right-wing pure-strain bullshit.

I know it is right-wing pure-strain bullshit, that's the point. It was that bad of a self own.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MizPiz posted:

When was the last time a sexual assault actually ended a political career?

al Franken

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CONSPIRACY AGAINST HIM BY BERNIEBROS

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
lol, according to Politico, Warren has the DNC's former head of Native American outreach working for her. HOW

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

lol, according to Politico, Warren has the DNC's former head of Native American outreach working for her. HOW

that former head wasn't in on those conversations, probably intentionally, that former head actively thought this was a good play, or that she was simply ignored for opposing it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nonsense posted:

that former head wasn't in on those conversations, probably intentionally, that former head actively thought this was a good play, or that she was simply ignored for opposing it.

This actually does seem to be playing well among Warren's base as far as I can tell because they don't care how incredibly tone deaf it was and just care that she had what they consider to be a DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT moment. As much fun as this is to mock I doubt it'll actually impact anything other than reminding native americans that the Democrats don't care about them any more than the Republicans do.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

I'm really curious on a demographic/age breakdown on people here who are arguing Warren hosed up vs. this was a smart move.

I have a feeling the people who think this was wise were around for the Kerry swiftboating while those who don't were not.

Yeah, no. Maybe if they were around for swiftboat and thought Kerry had a good response. Or possibly religiously reads Kos and Wonkette and think they know something like it is still 2006

The only appropriate reaction to a political attack has ever been "suck my dick you fuckman", and segue to your own message. Never let 'em talk about what they want to talk about.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
unsourced quotes sure pay dividends

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nonsense posted:

It's possible there's a reason they're the former head of Native American outreach.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grimoire posted:

The only appropriate reaction to a political attack has ever been "suck my dick you fuckman", and segue to your own message. Never let 'em talk about what they want to talk about.

I wish I could loving stamp this on people's foreheads.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Here is a headline

https://twitter.com/JonathanCohn/status/1052227669688033281

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

incidentally this inspired me to send that dna test kit thing in stay tuned to find out if I'm the first person of colour in my mom's basement

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Here is the entire article:

quote:

Political activist and Green Party Presidential candidate, Ralph Nader, who is known for being tough on Democrats tells Ari Melber it would be good for Mike Bloomberg to run against Trump as a Democrat in 2020, saying “Wall Street is his weakness” but that “he could shake up the Democratic Party”. Nader also slams Democratic National Committee Chair Tom Perez for refusing to answer his calls and emails.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

lol

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

the charitable speculation here is that nader is trying to boost the candidate most likely to finally destroy the Democratic party

though it's probably more likely that he has a bad brain worms infestation and has gone full PSA

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ohhhh, konnichiwa

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

what the hell i love tom perez now???

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

freckle posted:

unsourced quotes sure pay dividends

got four goons with that quote so far, hoping a fifth shows up before the day is over

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol who is going to vote for this dude, what is his constituency

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1052251351055552513

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm Cringin' Chris Coons

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I got told that wasn't even the topic of conversation and that DNA tests and blood quantum will help Native people in their search for rights in these dark days.

When I asked what the gently caress the topic of conversation even was about then, they ignored me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol who is going to vote for this dude, what is his constituency

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1052251351055552513

There was a time, a long long time ago, where I would have considered him.

:lol: in the year 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

castro is the original Rising Star. joe kennedy is but a pale imitation