Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Almost done with YaKiwami 2, to the point where I can probably put it down, but ho-ho-holy poo poo the end of the cabaret club sidequest chain was like a concentrated pure shot of everything I love about this series directly into my heart. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dewgy posted:

Almost done with YaKiwami 2, to the point where I can probably put it down, but ho-ho-holy poo poo the end of the cabaret club sidequest chain was like a concentrated pure shot of everything I love about this series directly into my heart. :allears:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 16, 2018

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just bought yooka layla cause it was 70% off and I think I might regret it later. I cancelled my preorder on it the moment its reviews started coming out...am I doing this right??

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Doing it right is never preorder

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

beep by grandpa posted:

I just bought yooka layla cause it was 70% off and I think I might regret it later. I cancelled my preorder on it the moment its reviews started coming out...am I doing this right??

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Fallout 76 is gonna suck fucken chodes and you can take that to the bank

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

yeah that looks like a fuckin legacy Rare character all right

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Escobarbarian posted:

Man, it’s so tough to convince people around me that Odyssey is actually really good because people have been so burned by Ubisoft already. It’s hard to blame them, especially when Far Cry 5 wasn’t that far back, but.....it actually is so great though!!! It’s like a hornier Skyrim with sailing

I've watched several quick-look-style videos and I can hardly muster any enthusiasm at all for open world games anymore. That died with AC3 and GTAV, with the Witcher 3 being the final nail in the coffin. I think part of it is the quest-based narratives and the lack of direction and replayability.

Doesn't help that several games/franchises I enjoyed got open world sequels I enjoyed less, like Burnout Paradise, Mirror's Edge, Witcher 3...

I'm looking forward to DMCV. At least they haven't turned that into an open world game. GoW had a pretty good compromise with its hub world, similar to how the Tomb Raider reboot handled it. It will be interesting to see what Naughty Dog does with the Last of Us 2. I'm 100% certain they will make it less linear than their earlier games, the question is how much they'll lean in that direction.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Doing it right is never preorder

Never Be Game Over

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You might think you're playing too many videogames, but you'll never be 1724 platinums playing too many videogames

https://kotaku.com/the-top-playstation-trophy-hunter-is-now-bagging-300-pl-1829795797

quote:

“They call me a no-life but actually they are the people with no life.”

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 16, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sony PlayStation4: I am filled with a new spirit now and I will play even more than before

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

DrNutt posted:

I must be struggling to get rid of my twentieth century thinking because my first thought upon reading that was "wait, how old do you think both Tei and Q1 modding are?"

Q1 modding was awesome because the AI would fight each other and ignore the player so you could setup monster deathmatch arenas in level editors and it's weird that such a small and simple feature isn't in games today (aside from different enemy factions in Destiny fighting each other, I can't think of any other examples).

I wish more games could lean into that so it doesn't always feel like the player is the center of whatever world they inhabit but instead NPCs all have their own agendas and goals and you can just watch chaos unfold if you want and maybe join in.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
FYI- Amazon Prime Customers, the PS4 Pro is in stock and shipping with no mark-up if you are a Prime customer if you are looking for one. I just ordered one after lurking in this thread for a while. Going to Preorder Ace Combat 7, as I am a fan of the series from back in the PS2 days.

Any must do things now until then? I have a basic Playstation account already from my PS3 Fat days (still works!). Maybe Horizon Zero Dawn or other PS4 Classics?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, check out the PlayStation Hits line. $20 each for a bunch of the best games on this system like Horizon, Bloodborne, Yakuza Zero, and Last of Us Remastered. Also good choice with Ace Combat 7, if you pre-order it you get a copy of Ace Combat 5 Remastered for PS4!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dewgy posted:

the Cabaret Club had a high stakes dramatic closure, the Yakuza Team is loving magical

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samuringa posted:

the Cabaret Club had a high stakes dramatic closure, the Yakuza Team is loving magical

It also tied straight into 0 and it was like oh poo poo, my soul. :swoon:

A local bar buddy of mine made a great comparison. Yakuza isn’t the Japanese GTA, but Japanese Saint’s Row is a really good way of seeing it. Not in terms of gameplay, but there’s just so much depth and heart poured into what should by all means be inconsequential filler, all the time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SUNKOS posted:

Q1 modding was awesome because the AI would fight each other and ignore the player so you could setup monster deathmatch arenas in level editors and it's weird that such a small and simple feature isn't in games today (aside from different enemy factions in Destiny fighting each other, I can't think of any other examples).

I wish more games could lean into that so it doesn't always feel like the player is the center of whatever world they inhabit but instead NPCs all have their own agendas and goals and you can just watch chaos unfold if you want and maybe join in.

Monster Hunter

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Montalvo posted:

and Overwatch when I'm feeling self loathing.

Crossposting:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

You might think you're playing too many videogames, but you'll never be 1724 platinums playing too many videogames

https://kotaku.com/the-top-playstation-trophy-hunter-is-now-bagging-300-pl-1829795797

This is like if Sisyphus were a gamer. Perfect description of what my personal ironic hell would look like

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
That article is all levels of :psyduck: from renting his "vast collection of visual novels" to playing the same game six times in different regions just to keep up the plats flowing. I wonder what drives people to do insane poo poo like this. He says he craves recognition but who knows if that's all this is about.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Mental illness comes in weird ways...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Gray Matter posted:

Carrier deployments in the Navy were 13-hour days minimum, 7 days a week for 8 months straight for half that pay and no going home at the end of the day. Sack up, game devs, at least if they aren't happy with their job they have the option to leave it immediately.

Many people prefer career where dying is not an accepted possibility.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Imagine willingly signing up for a defence force lmao

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JBP posted:

Dying for Bush's oil profits is one thing but dying for Donald god-drat Trump's oil profits? :laffo:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
AssCreed Origins Gold is on sale for 50€ here. GF is an Egypt fan and would probably enjoy watching me play this for the setting.

But I think it also has a no combat discovery mode right? She would love this.

Is it worth buying? The last Asscreed I played was Black Flag.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s pretty good and discovery mode is good but Odyssey as an actual game is far far better so maybe try and get her into Greece

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I'll get it eventually, but I am not paying 100€. I'll wait until it comes down to ~50€ for the Gold edition.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is the regular, non Gold edition on sale?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Is a beatiful game and with a fantastic athmosphera, but I would not pay full price.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tei posted:

Is a beatiful game and with a fantastic athmosphera, but I would not pay full price.
A billion man hours go into these giant Ubisoft open world games but since the market is clogged with then anyway they all go on sale pretty soon. It's pretty messed up really.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
^^^^
Not really Syndicate Gold is still 40€. The times of 5€ Black flag Gold Edition on Steam are long gone.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Origins? Yes for 10€less, but thats a negligible difference.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Not right now but it was on sale a few weeks ago for $24. It seems to go on sale for $30 every four weeks now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was thinking of doing the same after hearing the aco hype, but ultimately heeded (I think it was) exquisite tea's wise words: get the thing you want, not the thing you kinda want. assasin's creed games are too big a commitment to settle for the non-best versions, imo.

which in my case means having to wait for a sale.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, no I'm starting to see why people are so interested in the new Tetris game. I'll be honest, I didn't actually look at any gameplay footage before now.

https://i.imgur.com/tLIsTkv.mp4

Dewgy posted:

Gotta say, Mad Dog wasn't my favorite fighting style but that cutscene of Majima and the final boss going at each other's throat was so drat good.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 17, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

acksplode posted:

This is like if Sisyphus were a gamer.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, no I'm starting to see why people are so interested in the new Tetris game. I'll be honest, I didn't actually look at any gameplay footage before now.

https://i.imgur.com/tLIsTkv.mp4

Gotta say, Mad Dog wasn't my favorite fighting style but that cutscene of Majima and the final boss going at each other's throat was so drat good.

now i want jello shots

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JBP posted:

To save our mother earth from any alien attack

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“I wonder if trying to date both of these people will lead to a threesome or them both being mad at me” is not something I thought I’d ever think while playing an Assassin’s Creed game

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

To save our mother earth from any alien attack

From vicious giant insects who have once again come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

“I wonder if trying to date both of these people will lead to a threesome or them both being mad at me” is not something I thought I’d ever think while playing an Assassin’s Creed game

Take the risk on the chance you become a legend......