Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
STO but not only is every NPC Jeffrey combs, you also play a Jeffrey combs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

Literally just the actor, he’s not even playing a character

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pick posted:

I've never wanted an STO mod so badly

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

*nods*

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

HD DAD posted:

Can I buy a skin to dress him up as Herbert West?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HD DAD posted:

No, no, no.

You play as Jeffrey Combs...playing Jeffrey Combs*.

*By way of Avery Brooks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And then you're dumped out by the side of a highway, wanting to experience it all over

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Pick posted:

There's apparently a book where a weyoun clone becomes the bajoran kai because man those books dont give a poo poo

That's in the DS9 Millenium trilogy and he's the Kai of the Pah'Wraiths in an alternate future universe where Admiral Picard and Captain Nog are building a generational ship named the Phoenix that can travel back in time to fix the timeline after it fractured when DS9 was swallowed by the emergence of a dedicated Pah'Wraith wormhole.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MillennialVulcan posted:

That's in the DS9 Millenium trilogy and he's the Kai of the Pah'Wraiths in an alternate future universe where Admiral Picard and Captain Nog are building a generational ship named the Phoenix that can travel back in time to fix the timeline after it fractured when DS9 was swallowed by the emergence of a dedicated Pah'Wraith wormhole.

that all sounds aggressively dumb

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MillennialVulcan posted:

Thank you for knowing

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

cheetah7071 posted:

Welcome to the EU of literally every franchise ever.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Like dubbing a video cassette over and over. Weyoun 27 staggers into the room, drooling on himself and sobbing at random.

“I live to serve the founders. Also I peed my pants”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I like how it actually just drops out of shot, but not quite enough.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Welcome to the EU of literally every franchise ever.

Luckily its one of those self-contained not-really EU things where everything goes back to normal at the end. I think everyone even forgets everything? It's no worse than any of the other regular non-canon Trek books at least, besides being stretched into a trilogy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The_Doctor posted:

I like how it actually just drops out of shot, but not quite enough.

And with an Iconian ship.

https://i.imgur.com/OrIUS9z.mp4

Sadly, the console that let you do that has since been fixed to only work on a Crossfield. Though given that CBS ordered STO's makers to drop the DS9 expansion cold soon after its launch to instead make it all STD all the time, it's probably not long before everyone gets a Crossfield whether they want one or not. Even the Klingon, Romulan, and Dominion players.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I know this makes me a category one loozer, but I get legit mad at the lovely treatment DS9 gets at every turn.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So wait did they actually remove the DS9 content or what? I was thinking about downloading it just to wander around the station.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

I know this makes me a category one loozer, but I get legit mad at the lovely treatment DS9 gets at every turn.

Lol like that promo for Enterprise circa 2001ish that forgot Sisko was a character when naming all of the Star Trek captains?

(They had to go back and add him in because of fan outcry)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Or that article that talked about how Michael was the first black main character in Star Trek (and even clarified that even though she's a black woman, she's not the first female main character because of Janeway)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grand Fromage posted:

So wait did they actually remove the DS9 content or what? I was thinking about downloading it just to wander around the station.

No, they just abandoned doing anything further with the expansion than the current storyline which ends with the Dominion hitting the brakes on Imperium of Man Founders thing they had going and starting to turn into a more peaceful and benevolent state, and the Hur'q threat ending. It set up a lot of plot hooks for the future continuing to deal with poo poo going down in the Gamma Quadrant and the continuing story of the Dominion.

Now, we're not getting any of that Gamma Quadrant story or following up on the plot hooks from the current story arc. Instead, we're suddenly changing gears to disco klingons suddenly getting catapulted forward in time with a mushroom powered superweapon, and in the distance everyone who's not a Federation player quietly sobs as they know drat well they'll get ignored - especially the Romulan and Dominion mains, who have never shown up in Disco. And the Klingons may as well not have.

CBS has to approve everything that goes into STO, and seriously. The disco klingon ships look incredibly loving weird.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Lol like that promo for Enterprise circa 2001ish that forgot Sisko was a character when naming all of the Star Trek captains?

(They had to go back and add him in because of fan outcry)

Wasn't Michael listed in some PR stuff as the black lead character in Star Trek?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

No, they just launched a DS9 expansion with three missions and said that was only half of it. Then they finished the story in just one more mission and then announced the Disco expansion. All the DS9 stuff is still there, there just isn't as much as they promised.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cythereal posted:

No, they just abandoned doing anything further with the expansion than the current storyline which ends with the Dominion hitting the brakes on Imperium of Man Founders thing they had going and starting to turn into a more peaceful and benevolent state, and the Hur'q threat ending. It set up a lot of plot hooks for the future continuing to deal with poo poo going down in the Gamma Quadrant and the continuing story of the Dominion.

Now, we're not getting any of that Gamma Quadrant story or following up on the plot hooks from the current story arc. Instead, we're suddenly changing gears to disco klingons suddenly getting catapulted forward in time with a mushroom powered superweapon, and in the distance everyone who's not a Federation player quietly sobs as they know drat well they'll get ignored - especially the Romulan and Dominion mains, who have never shown up in Disco. And the Klingons may as well not have.

CBS has to approve everything that goes into STO, and seriously. The disco klingon ships look incredibly loving weird.

Why the gently caress are Klingons flying around in a chair with a dick and balls attached.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Klingons found a bunch of old Death Gliders and decided to keep them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

Wasn't Michael listed in some PR stuff as the black lead character in Star Trek?

As the first one I think you mean? I think that was just one article in one publication but it still got pretty widely snickered at and was quickly changed to “first black woman.”

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Senor Tron posted:

Why the gently caress are Klingons flying around in a chair with a dick and balls attached.

I dunno, but that's what CBS approved of as the design for a disco bop. The disco klingon "battlecruiser," battleship, and dreadnought are equally bizarre looking.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We saw a classic D7 in season 2's latest trailer, at least. With that and Klingons with hair they're clearly backing off on the dumbass visual reboot.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 17, 2018

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cythereal posted:

God DAMMIT STD turns everything it touches into poo poo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I played half the intro mission to the Discovery stuff and I liked how it uses gratuitous Dutch Angles almost mockingly.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
That Bird of Prey looks like it belongs in Stargate SG-1.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking of getting back into this but lol gently caress

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

cheetah7071 posted:

It's dumb fun, certainly not the worst Trek books. Trek can be kind of doofy in the first place, so a lot of the dumb poo poo in the books I read just rolled off my back.

Pick posted:

Thank you for knowing

All part of the service.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Honestly they should just publish an inordinate number of "non-canon" Trek books and just let people work out among themselves what they enjoy reading about.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hint: it's spocks dong

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pick posted:

Honestly they should just publish an inordinate number of "non-canon" Trek books and just let people work out among themselves what they enjoy reading about.

Isn’t this uhhh, what they’ve been doing for decades

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tighclops posted:

I was thinking of getting back into this but lol gently caress

STO created a whole new set of facial animations just for Garak to mug for the camera. And another new animation for Kira slapping Odo across the face.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Isn’t this uhhh, what they’ve been doing for decades

I mean they should be even more permissive :unsmigghh:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

In my canon Spock never existed

Pick