Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is it accurate to say that the only countries in latin america to not come to some kind of reckoning with their racial background are brazil and the dominican republic?

i say swears online posted:

where's that mspaint mongrel race meme, i haven't seen it in years
is it a 4chan mspaint meme or is it from somewhere else? i don't want to post the wrong one. also the 4chan one is, as you would expect, pretty racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
And Buenos Aires.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

That's a good one, since their knee jerk reaction is to call all the opposition communists, specially if you are critical of Bolsonaro's statist votes as a representative and his turn-around statement on the privatization of Petrobras.

A few of them also BSoD if you tell them communism only killed "vagabundos" when they do the 100M line.

It's great! Like when they argue with me "who killed more?", I can just say: it's a fact that all of these regimes censored media and infringed on individual liberties. Do you really want to compare tragedies that shouldn't happen in the first place? Authoritarian regimes are awful for the economy. Shouldn't we strive for better than this in 2018? Then they shut up because they actually want a dictatorship where they are the ones doing the oppression and they know it's a bad look, it's always projection.

When they mention economy, I hate arguing on authority but I'm actually a company owner and most of these dudes are workers (some are FEDERAL workers) that want the state dismantled. And they usually know gently caress all about business and what corporate taxes are in reality (and how easy it is to evade them already) so I love to take them out of their element. And that just like in the US, the right must be careful about touching on unpopular stuff if they want to have more than one term before a new and energized left goes after them. They are like a dog who finally caught up to a car: they are absolutely incapable to discuss what comes after the elections. They won't talk about how uncertain the new government is since they don't seem to have a clear ideology and are constantly contradicting themselves. They don't question why NOVO is steering clear of Bolsonaro. Zero arguments about which flavor of right will be dominant. No idea how they'll get support with their small rear end party that's getting almost no support even after a historically strong election showing.

And these are the people I know who don't just forward whatsapp bullshit and were right wing before Bolsonaro, the "saner" ones.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I'm going to be the insane person and admit that Max Payne 3 ended up being the most critically relevant and poignant media piece about the long running Brazilian nightmare along class and racial lines, they literally open the game with a dramatis personae of all the villains, mostly white as a wedding dress, partying on a luxury penthouse balcony overlooking the poor favelas, and this is explained to an ignorant American PoV character, who has a loving incredible moment about 3/4 of the way in after he stumbles upon the rich surgeon's organ harvesting operation enabled by the police

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiNHpol9L80

you're turning humans into glue!

People poo poo on this game for riffing off of Man on Fire, but MoF doesn't have half the balls or relevance of MP3.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

is it a 4chan mspaint meme or is it from somewhere else? i don't want to post the wrong one. also the 4chan one is, as you would expect, pretty racist

yeah it was that one, with men from around europe proclaiming their whiteness while looking increasingly swarthy; i liked the ironic reading of it that kinda proves that "pure-blood aryanism" is a stupid myth and none of that poo poo matters

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
loving centrists

https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1051784058185928705?s=19

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i say swears online posted:

yeah it was that one, with men from around europe proclaiming their whiteness while looking increasingly swarthy; i liked the ironic reading of it that kinda proves that "pure-blood aryanism" is a stupid myth and none of that poo poo matters

I remember seeing a parody one where the men are pure aryan squidwards but they try to claim being not white.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Spanish and Portuguese could also falsely claim pure Visigothic and Suebi ancestry

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

that lady will be horrifically killed by her own president

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nonsense posted:

that lady will be horrifically killed by her own president

Good

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That's the typical face of someone who just hosed up/crapped her pants big time and knows it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Some alarming poo poo in that study. Even centrist Americans are more likely to be at ease of strongmen.

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah I'm going to be the insane person and admit that Max Payne 3 ended up being the most critically relevant and poignant media piece about the long running Brazilian nightmare along class and racial lines, they literally open the game with a dramatis personae of all the villains, mostly white as a wedding dress, partying on a luxury penthouse balcony overlooking the poor favelas, and this is explained to an ignorant American PoV character, who has a loving incredible moment about 3/4 of the way in after he stumbles upon the rich surgeon's organ harvesting operation enabled by the police

People poo poo on this game for riffing off of Man on Fire, but MoF doesn't have half the balls or relevance of MP3.

I want to play this game now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Seeing a Brazilian tourist gay couple in NYC last week that said that they were not voting for PT on the second round made me realize how incredibly effective the media onslaught was. Or how people put class prejudice above self-preservation.

Also, David Duke is endorsing Bolso https://www.bbc.com/portuguese/brasil-45874344?fbclid=IwAR3lDfBMApUgMiyJhKzvuVl1XCku_s6enqiY2xrw_sCu6sQli73_3-1rAiA.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Plutonis posted:

Seeing a Brazilian tourist gay couple in NYC last week that said that they were not voting for PT on the second round made me realize how incredibly effective the media onslaught was. Or how people put class prejudice above self-preservation.

Also, David Duke is endorsing Bolso https://www.bbc.com/portuguese/brasil-45874344?fbclid=IwAR3lDfBMApUgMiyJhKzvuVl1XCku_s6enqiY2xrw_sCu6sQli73_3-1rAiA.

Bolsonaristas are already rushing to explain that the KKK belongs to the left, since it was founded by democrats

https://twitter.com/coringa1978/status/1052216722877485056

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/danila_cabral/status/1052220280008073221?s=21

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Karl's Kommunist Klan

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Bolsonaristas are already rushing to explain that the KKK belongs to the left, since it was founded by democrats

Americas primary export is cognitive dissonance

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

really queer Christmas posted:

Karl's Kommunist Klan

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

klan komunista de korrupção petralha

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Plutonis posted:

But that has always sort of been the case in Brazil. The "socially liberal fiscal conservative professionals" that in the US have become the core of the democratic party can just be reactionaries in Brazil because they know that there's always a way for rich Brazilians to avoid conservative laws. It's the same reason why there very little push towards legalizing abortion in Brazil. For upper class women, abortion has always been de facto legal. Just like same sex couples have always been able to find a way to legally fulfill all the things that marriage would. Just like Brazil is one of the most violent places on earth for poor trans women, while at the same time being very accepting of trans celebrities (Roberta Close was the cover of Playboy almost 30 years ago).

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ok, so Bolsonaro is a leftist.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

joepinetree posted:

But that has always sort of been the case in Brazil. The "socially liberal fiscal conservative professionals" that in the US have become the core of the democratic party can just be reactionaries in Brazil because they know that there's always a way for rich Brazilians to avoid conservative laws. It's the same reason why there very little push towards legalizing abortion in Brazil. For upper class women, abortion has always been de facto legal. Just like same sex couples have always been able to find a way to legally fulfill all the things that marriage would. Just like Brazil is one of the most violent places on earth for poor trans women, while at the same time being very accepting of trans celebrities (Roberta Close was the cover of Playboy almost 30 years ago).

After all, they're voting for the candidate of the "Social Liberal Party" :downs:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Bolsonaro, defender of the environment.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

no need to defend the environment if its not there anymore

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Huh, Michael Temer finally got indicted for corruption. Looks like he finally outlived his usefulness. I look forward to John Green and every columnist that kept poking people on how corruption is really important and is why you should really care if your ideology is actually good to suddenly care about this again and to put another wacky clock on the telly counting down the minutes until Temer finally has to be arrested, and when it runs out to drag enough brazilian commentators to call them mentally handicapped for not making GBS threads out a sensible centre right government and how there should be compromise between murder and not murder.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kunster posted:

Huh, Michael Temer finally got indicted for corruption. Looks like he finally outlived his usefulness. I look forward to John Green and every columnist that kept poking people on how corruption is really important and is why you should really care if your ideology is actually good to suddenly care about this again and to put another wacky clock on the telly counting down the minutes until Temer finally has to be arrested, and when it runs out to drag enough brazilian commentators to call them mentally handicapped for not making GBS threads out a sensible centre right government and how there should be compromise between murder and not murder.

MDB, Temer's party, is consistently on the top of lists of politicians with "ficha suja" (criminal or corruption charges). PT is also there, between 6th and 10th place depending on the year you check out, but somehow the conversation puts them as responsible for all the corruption of the country.

I am glad there's a chance Temer will be arrested in my lifetime, though I remain skeptical until there's a verdict stronger than "house arrest in a mansion".

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner posted:

I remember thinking this game was over the top like a lot of Hollywood movies and then I saw a news video from Brazil like a year later where the cops murdered a motorcycle thief with an assault rifle from a helicopter and went 'oh maybe Brazil really is that hosed up'

Also, plutonis is from there

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

I remember thinking this game was over the top like a lot of Hollywood movies and then I saw a news video from Brazil like a year later where the cops murdered a motorcycle thief with an assault rifle from a helicopter and went 'oh maybe Brazil really is that hosed up'

they also shot the neighborhood he was riding through the gently caress up

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Plutonis posted:

I think Brazil is also a pretty key example of how just much power a media has over a population and you can honestly gaslight humans into almost anything.

Also, at is pretty cute that Temer is being brought up on corruption charges JUST as it looks like someone even worse than him will be in power shortly.

(Btw, I know how economically this situation is going to work out. Most commodity prices are still at their lows and never recovered from their drop, basic services are already being dismantled by austerity and the Real is still weak. Moreover, you are probably going to see another crisis in the US fairly soon, which will almost certainly be a factor.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:44 on Oct 17, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ardennes posted:

I think Brazil is also a pretty key example of how just much power a media has over a population and you can honestly gaslight humans into almost anything.

But now what is special is that the media is completely powerless. Most of the big media now is attacking Bolsonaro daily, but it cant get inside the tick fake news bubble the movement created around itself

Theres a continuous stream of fake news coming through whatsapp and theres the legion of bots and idiots to instantly deny any real news against their candidate on any social network, so its upside down: if anything comes from globo, folha, etc, is automatically fake, is communist propaganda, George Soros is paying it. And anything that comes from their trusted whatsapp groups is indisputable Truth (stuff like "haddad wants to make pedophilia legal")

And that aint anything amateur, spontaneous. There is a powerful machine at work here, and we've seem similar stuff before (in Trumps election, for example)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
They may have lost the leash of the beast they created this election, but their power is still visible in the way they created it. Bolsonaro would be a no one without CQC, the impeachment was heavily promoted by all media platforms ("there's a protest on day X, here's where you park, here's where you submit your photos to us"), and the Brazilian version of the altright was given ample platform when the target was the PT. Olavo de Carvalho is an astrologist who was given a national platform because he would say the craziest poo poo about PT, Rodrigo Constantino was an Orkut shitposter with 0 qualities who went from making the "Economia Brasileira" community completely unreadable to the pages of Veja. So the media thought that they could boost PSDB by destroying the PT, and then it got away from them. Because it's hard to paint the picture of Bolsonaro as an extremist after you've spent 14 years painting the PT as communists about to turn Brazil into Venezuela. And then there's an effect similar to Trump, in that he got endless amounts of free coverage just by saying outrageous poo poo.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How do left wing Brazilians combat "Going further Left will turn Brazil into Venezuela?" Do they just bring up Bolivia and Ecuador as positive examples?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

punk rebel ecks posted:

How do left wing Brazilians combat "Going further Left will turn Brazil into Venezuela?" Do they just bring up Bolivia and Ecuador as positive examples?

I just answer that PT had the power for 14 years and failed to turn us into Venezuela. And then they got kicked out as soon as PMDB wanted it.

Im not convincing anyone, though. Is not rational

edit: and joe, it is true: mass media helped to create antipetismo, promoted for years the narratives that "PT is the most corrupt party" and even "PT wants to make Brazil into Venezuela" etc, thinking that they could use it to put PSDB back into power. But now we are somewhere else already. Now they are tyring to force the genius back into the bottle and they found themselves powerless

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 16:49 on Oct 17, 2018

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

sorry im late, my car totally turned into Venezuela-- im fired??..now YOURE turning me into venezuela?? im gonna eat all these pills and Venezuela myself

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it’s cool how suddenly giving everyone in the world internet access destroyed humanity

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it’s cool how suddenly giving everyone in the world internet access destroyed humanity

It's wild to see the parents that raised you to be a polite, educated, critical person teaching by example just turn into something you don't recognize, watching Whatsapp conspiracy videos at full volume at a hospital waiting room

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

We're gonna invade Venezuela in 2020 or earlier with US backing and it'll be a horrible bog just like the Saudis are having with Yemen

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
just want to say thanks to all brasilians by somehow being an even bigger shitshow than your southern neighbours so we look less bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cid Gomes (Ciro's brother that was elected senator) shittalked PT during a pro-Haddad rally this monday. These people are so incredibly loving stupid and petty jfc.