Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I played Dungeon Maker and it was fun but I hit a wall fairly early and suddenly it wasn't fun. Are there any other games like that where you run through things until you die and then you unlock stuff and run through it again, but that doesn't take hours for a single unlock that might not even help you? I checked the play store and most of them are dungeon crawler type things where you have to tap everywhere you wanna go and that just ain't in my interest right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Have you played You Must Build a Boat?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Push El Burrito posted:

I played Dungeon Maker and it was fun but I hit a wall fairly early and suddenly it wasn't fun. Are there any other games like that where you run through things until you die and then you unlock stuff and run through it again, but that doesn't take hours for a single unlock that might not even help you? I checked the play store and most of them are dungeon crawler type things where you have to tap everywhere you wanna go and that just ain't in my interest right now.

Desktop Dungeons? I mean you still have to tap everywhere but the dungeons are short

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

WaltherFeng posted:

Have you played You Must Build a Boat?

I haven't though apparently I bought it at one point. Will have to give it a try.

precision posted:

Desktop Dungeons? I mean you still have to tap everywhere but the dungeons are short

Can't find this on the play store. I did find Desktop Dungeon which appears to be a platformer where you're running around a Windows desktop?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

precision posted:

Do the Konami Picross puzzles top out at 3 star difficulty? I'm at 23% and been getting nothing but 3* for a while

I have been getting 4 star puzzles around 30%. And 5 star Boss puzzles too so I assume the regular and mini-boss will hit 5 star eventually.

Even at 5 star they are not that hard really.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

that slime platform game is really good, except for the level design/progression. it seemed like the levels are random in terms of how hard they are, how clever they are, which mechanics they use, and so on. maybe a better mode opens up eventually, but i got tired of it already

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Push El Burrito posted:

Can't find this on the play store. I did find Desktop Dungeon which appears to be a platformer where you're running around a Windows desktop?

Oh whoops, I just assumed it had been ported to android by now but it appears it hasn't been.

Guild of Dungeoneering is real good and I think is on sale for 5bux right now which is a crazy good deal

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

precision posted:

Oh whoops, I just assumed it had been ported to android by now but it appears it hasn't been.

Guild of Dungeoneering is real good and I think is on sale for 5bux right now which is a crazy good deal

I've got it on an android tablet, but I don't think it's phone compatible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Relentless posted:

This is the correct answer. I technically have it on 'Android' through the Humble store, but it won't work with my phone.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Push El Burrito posted:

I know this isn't what your asking, but I had the same thing happen in dungeon maker. The trick is to go up in difficulty levels every time you hit 100 days. That'll be a pretty steady stream of money to buy new cards. Prioritize cards that can always be used (like staying with more monsters) and new bosses. Also only worry about the cheapest card pack until you get all the good stuff from it. By the time you hit hard 7 or 8 you'll be about to jump down to like hard 3 and clean house on the rest of the achievements and get more money. There are definitely choke points, but they happened to me much later after I discovered adjusting the difficulty.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Beast Pussy posted:

I know this isn't what your asking, but I had the same thing happen in dungeon maker. The trick is to go up in difficulty levels every time you hit 100 days. That'll be a pretty steady stream of money to buy new cards. Prioritize cards that can always be used (like staying with more monsters) and new bosses. Also only worry about the cheapest card pack until you get all the good stuff from it. By the time you hit hard 7 or 8 you'll be about to jump down to like hard 3 and clean house on the rest of the achievements and get more money. There are definitely choke points, but they happened to me much later after I discovered adjusting the difficulty.

The recent updates have added a bunch of new stuff, but it's mostly for longer late game runs. It really clutters up the new player experience. You should mostly ignore books and prisoners until you're comfortable with the basics.

I think the developer needs to add some gating for the extra mechanics.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Relentless posted:

I got it on my Pixel 2. Which is a phone. It works.

Even when the humble app says it's not compatible, it still lets you download the apk to sideload it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

that slime platform game is really good, except for the level design/progression. it seemed like the levels are random in terms of how hard they are, how clever they are, which mechanics they use, and so on. maybe a better mode opens up eventually, but i got tired of it already

I haven't unlocked any mode after Long mode and I'm at 325/431 stars, which apparently translates to 67% (!?) on the title screen.

As for progression it seemed mostly to me like things generally got harder, but there were a few difficulty spikes that caused me to switch modes for a little while before going back to a previous mode. I'm done with Short now and getting close to finishing Middle. Long I've only done like a quarter of because they really are quite long.

The stage where you have to time your jumps up a vertical shaft because spikes pop out of both sides at the same time is basically the worst. Even though it's for an optional star I haven't been able to move on from a stage until I get 100%. That one probably took me the longest of any stage to beat because the timing is just so precise.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Beast Pussy posted:

I got to Hard 10 and then I tried running through to a late run on like Hard 4 and lost after 160 days. It gave me like 10 coins which gave me the option between like 2 3* monsters or a reduced chance to get 1* items. Something broke in my brain that I spent like 45 minutes doing that and I gave up forever.

And Guild of Dungeoneering installed on my phone so hopefully it will run.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IAmTheRad posted:

I got it on my Pixel 2. Which is a phone. It works.

Even when the humble app says it's not compatible, it still lets you download the apk to sideload it.

If you can get it, do, Desktop Dungeons is great. It gets hard as hell by the end though, I still haven't unlocked everything.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Push El Burrito posted:

I got to Hard 10 and then I tried running through to a late run on like Hard 4 and lost after 160 days. It gave me like 10 coins which gave me the option between like 2 3* monsters or a reduced chance to get 1* items. Something broke in my brain that I spent like 45 minutes doing that and I gave up forever.

And Guild of Dungeoneering installed on my phone so hopefully it will run.

Have you been following the achievement list? I've been making get things checked off that a priority and I'm only at hard 5 or 6 and got a helluva lot farther than 160 on them. Who is your darklord? I just started firelady and she is unfun to play imo

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

Have you been following the achievement list? I've been making get things checked off that a priority and I'm only at hard 5 or 6 and got a helluva lot farther than 160 on them. Who is your darklord? I just started firelady and she is unfun to play imo

I've been running different ones to get them to 10. The one I got to 160 was vampire lady I think? She was level 10.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Push El Burrito posted:

I've been running different ones to get them to 10. The one I got to 160 was vampire lady I think? She was level 10.

I did pretty okay with the succubus and the fury one. I wish I would have known going in that the most expensive shop option was a terrible idea and only for late stage stuff because I dropped a lot of points into that instead of the first two which unlock actual gameplay options like autocast, extra map spaces, and the ability to bring other monsters with me.

Fire lady is just the worst and incredibly boring and I have her awakened form so I have to get her to 15 instead of 10 D:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Len posted:

I did pretty okay with the succubus and the fury one. I wish I would have known going in that the most expensive shop option was a terrible idea and only for late stage stuff because I dropped a lot of points into that instead of the first two which unlock actual gameplay options like autocast, extra map spaces, and the ability to bring other monsters with me.

Fire lady is just the worst and incredibly boring and I have her awakened form so I have to get her to 15 instead of 10 D:

She's pretty great, but again, super late game. You either need to bring some rooms to detonate burn damage, or do something like stack a Bigger Fight or Triple Gigantify with accelerated focused fusion monsters.

None of them are bad, but you need wildly differing strategies.

I keep defending it, but goddamn the new user experience is lovely.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
PAKO Forever is a new installment of the series. It plays more like the first game, but on one map with a randomly generated layout and the addition of power ups.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I think the biggest problem with Dungeon Maker for new players is that the starting ability for the dark lords can be a poor indicator of how to actually play them.

One of my favorite lords is Rebecca, and I actually played her last because I thought giving enemies corpse explosion was dumb and didn't realize that wasn't how you play her at all. The game does a really lousy job of presenting info.

I didn't even realize the game wanted you to keep your monsters and rooms over games because I didn't get those unlocks for awhile. That's something fundamental to the game and you have to have a bit of luck in the beginning to get it.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Reigns: Game of Thrones should be available now.

edit: honestly if you don't watch the show or read the books you're probably going to be lost playing this.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 18, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Trastion posted:

I have been getting 4 star puzzles around 30%. And 5 star Boss puzzles too so I assume the regular and mini-boss will hit 5 star eventually.

Even at 5 star they are not that hard really.

I'm not even certain how much stars relate to difficulty - I've played three stars that I've solved in less than a minute, and two stars that have taken me five.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Morpheus posted:

I'm not even certain how much stars relate to difficulty - I've played three stars that I've solved in less than a minute, and two stars that have taken me five.

I agree. I have had lower star ones that take a lot of work to finish but high star ones that are easy.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well 1 star tend to be 5x5 while 2 star tend to be 10x10. The 3 and 4 star ones are both 15x15 but from my experience the 4 star ones have mostly been harder than the 3 star ones

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

I don't get ads on that picross game either for some reason. I don't have any ad blockers installed. 5x5 puzzles are a waste of time , and the pictures never look like anything. I guess they are good for kids

Fun game though!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Norton posted:

I don't get ads on that picross game either for some reason. I don't have any ad blockers installed. 5x5 puzzles are a waste of time , and the pictures never look like anything. I guess they are good for kids

Fun game though!

Wait, I got the Konami one but still haven't played. 5x5 are only tutorials, right?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Norton posted:

I don't get ads on that picross game either for some reason.

I get a pop-up ad for Pro Evo Soccer after every single puzzle. It's super annoying because there's a slight delay and if I'm trying to click for the next puzzle more often than not the ad will pop juuust as my finger hits the screen and then I get redirected.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Can't seem to "get into" Almost a Hero despite it being recommended a lot. It just seems kind of slow. I've made it to like level 180 or so but I'm not really the kind of person that likes to make their own builds in these kinds of games. Most of the "guides" seem to conveniently be missing actual builds or just kind of assume you know what they mean when they tell you 3 heroes (out of 5) and tell you one skill to use. Almost none of them even mention that hero order actually matters despite this being apparently a pretty important thing to note.

I know there are a lot of cool mechanics that end up being unlocked quite late, should I stick with it?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Poultron posted:

Can't seem to "get into" Almost a Hero despite it being recommended a lot. It just seems kind of slow. I've made it to like level 180 or so but I'm not really the kind of person that likes to make their own builds in these kinds of games. Most of the "guides" seem to conveniently be missing actual builds or just kind of assume you know what they mean when they tell you 3 heroes (out of 5) and tell you one skill to use. Almost none of them even mention that hero order actually matters despite this being apparently a pretty important thing to note.

I know there are a lot of cool mechanics that end up being unlocked quite late, should I stick with it?

If you don't dig it there's a ton of other options out there. Don't punish yourself.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Poultron posted:

the plateau i got stuck on was "grind for multiple days and then reroll all your crystals according to this spreadsheet and then the next part might be fun" and i'm like "no thanks"

still playing Tap Idle Wizard though because i can just leave it on at work and poke it every so often to make progress.

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010

Poultron posted:

Can't seem to "get into" Almost a Hero despite it being recommended a lot. It just seems kind of slow. I've made it to like level 180 or so but I'm not really the kind of person that likes to make their own builds in these kinds of games.

I have played a bunch of Almost a Hero and found that quick runs seem to work best until you have something to push for. The game for sure requires active attention to make reasonable progress

Due to the way things scale most of the time you only need to 1 or 2 skills mentioned in the builds and everything ends up not mattering as much after those.

The more end game stuff is a little different but if you aren't feeling it in the early game, it doesn't change enough to be worth forcing yourself to push for it

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I didn't know there were "builds" for almost a hero. I use the heroes that I have that are the highest rank and as far as their skills if you are going to around lvl 400 or so you can get pretty much everything maxed. I most let it spend the skill points randomly as it doesn't matter all that much. You need to prestige to get the currency anyways so I just run until I stall then prestige and next run I make it farther.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Trastion posted:

I didn't know there were "builds" for almost a hero. I use the heroes that I have that are the highest rank and as far as their skills if you are going to around lvl 400 or so you can get pretty much everything maxed. I most let it spend the skill points randomly as it doesn't matter all that much. You need to prestige to get the currency anyways so I just run until I stall then prestige and next run I make it farther.

There's some specific setups and combos that let you do silly things.

Like only leveling Boomer and using his ult every 5 seconds. Stops it from being idle and isn't efficient farming but lets you push to a breakpoint.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

precision posted:

What about Gumballs and Dungeons? A fair amount of goons still play it. Game gets ... interesting and in depth later on and kinda turns a bit more into a timer manager though much later on.

vvvv: Also true. Most of it you just run one specific set of teams for each so there is a lot of truth in this. I still enjoy it.

Malek fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 19, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i started losing interest in Gumballs and Dungeons once i felt like the only way to get deeper into dungeons was to abuse game mechanics in fiddly and time-consuming ways. one was to keep using the "go back X number of floors" spell to farm loot, the other was to switch between different armor sets all the time in order to min-max the bonuses you get from them. doing stuff like that helped me get quite a bit further, like many tens of floors further, but i was still nowhere near ever clearing a lot of the higher-level challenges and achievements. it seemed like the only way I'd ever be able to do those is to make each dungeon run even longer, even though it felt like the time per run (and even the "time per floor") had already ballooned to an interminable length

this wouldn't be the worst thing if the game let you keep more than one run going at a time. then i could save a super long min-max wankfest while still being able to do short dungeons and grind materials elsewhere until I'm ready to go back into the long run

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 19, 2018

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Dead Cells is coming to Android, which you can pre reg right here.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

mrkillboy posted:

oh no...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

mrkillboy posted:

It's been removeed from the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kheldarn posted:

It's been removeed from the store.

Any idea why?