Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
*edit* wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Lambert posted:

This alignment came to pass because of trumped up concerns by Waxman about the dangers of tunneling through a methane zone.

Both right. The red line was supposed to have a branch through K-town to Beverly hills, and that's now the Purple line. Purple/Red was the same project and planning.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Poizner is running as an independent and in 2016 endorsed Kasich.

Do not vote for this man.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
God drat it

quote:

The survey participants were also asked about Proposition 6, which would repeal the hike and vehicle fees. The measure would also require any future fuel taxes to be approved by voters.

Among the 762 likely voters polled, 58 percent said yes and 29 percent said no. Only 13 percent were undecided.
https://abc7.com/politics/newsom-leads-cox-in-polls;-prop-6-likely-to-pass-surveyusa-finds/4496743/ (warning: audio plays on load)

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g
I didn't say I was voting for him, I'm just confused that he has universal support from the editorial boards and it's making me second guess things. I'm pretty sure that's going to gently caress with a lot of people's heads as well.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

This seems real bad.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If Prop 6 passes, the only thing I can hope for is that Sacramento will start its session being highly motivated to replace it with a more progressive tax. And maybe the infrastructure projects that are currently in a quantum funding state can make it through, somehow.

Oh, who am I kidding? Those projects will see massive cost overruns because of the false start and the GOP jerks will call it proof that the government can't handle anything. (See also, CA High-Speed Rail.)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

My lunch-time walk takes me past a big townhouse development that I know for a fact has an HOA "no renting/AirBnB/etc" policy in place because a co-worker lives there. Despite this, there are maybe a half dozen No on 10 signs stuck outside houses of people who literally aren't even allowed to rent their home out.

:suicide:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Wasn't 6 exactly the opposite of that last set of polling?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I dunno about you guys but in north county San Diego there are those yellow YES on 6 signs all over the place.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Jaxyon posted:

Wasn't 6 exactly the opposite of that last set of polling?

Yeah that seems waaay off from previous polling

edit: http://amp.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article219064245.html

Yeah, something screwy is going on. Did somebody reverse the numbers?

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 17, 2018

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Tarezax posted:

Yeah that seems waaay off from previous polling

edit: http://amp.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article219064245.html

Yeah, something screwy is going on. Did somebody reverse the numbers?

I'd bet a lot of the 'no' vote came from people who didn't know that this was the gas tax repeal. That's the sort of vote that will flip quickly after a good ad campaign.

Weembles fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 17, 2018

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It might be an outlier, it might be accurate. Impossible to know without a whole lot more polling that won't happen.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Saw a No on 8 ad on TV today, lying about taking dialysis away from people. loving vultures.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

what votes most gently caress the state of jefferson prolapses?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CPColin posted:

If Prop 6 passes, the only thing I can hope for is that Sacramento will start its session being highly motivated to replace it with a more progressive tax. And maybe the infrastructure projects that are currently in a quantum funding state can make it through, somehow.

Oh, who am I kidding? Those projects will see massive cost overruns because of the false start and the GOP jerks will call it proof that the government can't handle anything. (See also, CA High-Speed Rail.)

The GOP plan is to then kill high speed rail and reallocate those funds to what prop 6 took away

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jaxyon posted:

I like how the "dont' blame voters, blame the dems" stuff goes out the window when voters don't vote the way we wanted them to.

For me, personally, the Dem party is a reflection of their typical white voter, who is an West-Wing worshipping dipshit with no moral center who thinks that they are smart and above it all when in fact they are stupid and believe in discredited and useless positions and tactics and who keep voting in losers because they throw them a few rhetorical shoutouts. Other leftists certainly have different opinions, but that's mine.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 17, 2018

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FCKGW posted:

The GOP plan is to then kill high speed rail and reallocate those funds to what prop 6 took away

For sure. Or at least whine about it to make their base go, "Yeah! Stupid Dumbocrats!" because it's an easy issue to do that with. (Never mind all the good construction jobs the project is currently providing.)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Anyone got useful guidance about which state supreme court justices to vote yea/nay on? I remember hearing that Carol Corrigan is against same-sex marriage but the rest are blank faces to me at the moment (& unsurprisingly, most voting guides like Ballotpedia or CalMatters tend to ignore it entirely).

EDIT: looking back for juicy bits on the props, and I found some earlier posts about the justices too, starting here.

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 17, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

filthy regex posted:

I didn't say I was voting for him, I'm just confused that he has universal support from the editorial boards and it's making me second guess things. I'm pretty sure that's going to gently caress with a lot of people's heads as well.

Poizner was previously Insurance Commissioner under Schwarzenegger, and did an okay job. That’s why newspapers like him. He’s also a temporarily embarrassed Republican. That’s why this forum, which wouldn’t elect a Republican to anything ever, doesn’t like him.

The most concerning thing about him is his failed run for Governor tried scapegoating illegal immigrants as a Hail Mary play before fading out.

So meanwhile, about Prop 8...

Remember that I said that I was voting for 8 because, despite the many unknowns, it would provide some balance of equality between Medicare patients and private insurance? Turns out the reason so many companies were pulling out of the individual exchanges was that DaVita was using ACA’s no-rescission clause to steer people away from government subsidized healthcare and into commercial insurance in a scheme so greedy that it makes for-profit health insurance nearly seem sympathetic.

That was a major driver behind the bitching and abandoning of the exchanges, and in doing so, they handed people who don’t believe in people getting healthcare they can’t pay for a win.

John Oliver’s DaVita bit talked about how their clown of a CEO turned the company around from near bankruptcy, and I betcha he simply fell upwards due to the Third Way’s inability to write regulation.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
corrigan, richman, siggins, and tucher jones were the judges i voted no on due to gay marriage and/or being nominated by a republican governor

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 17, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Raskolnikov38 posted:

corrigan, richman, siggins, and tucher were the judges i voted no on due to gay marriage and/or being nominated by a republican governor

This Tucher? Because she was appointed by Brown and seems like a decent person.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh whoops i read the wrong line on my ballot, its barbara jr jones i voted no on because wilson nominated her

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, the gay marriage judge and Jones were my only two no votes, and that was mostly because Pete Wilson is not only the kind of Republican whose name is accompanied with looming claps of thunder, but because he was Governor a lifetime ago in courtroom-time so some change is likely due anyway.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

bitprophet posted:

Anyone got useful guidance about which state supreme court justices to vote yea/nay on? I remember hearing that Carol Corrigan is against same-sex marriage but the rest are blank faces to me at the moment (& unsurprisingly, most voting guides like Ballotpedia or CalMatters tend to ignore it entirely).

EDIT: looking back for juicy bits on the props, and I found some earlier posts about the justices too, starting here.

Following up on this, I ended up following this voter's guide for the justices, since they basically spite-endorsed the opposite of what some "liburl activist judges!!! :bahgawd:" shitlords were recommending. :v:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Nice, thanks.

Of course now I have to put my voting on hold while I request a replacement ballot because I somehow managed to reach for a pen whose ink bleeds right through the drat ballot paper :doh: Guessing I have to wait for another one to be emergency-mailed to me, though part of me secretly hopes they keep extras at my local dropoff location (doubtful).

Already emailed the appropriate folks for my county's elections dept so we'll see what's what. Just feel like a total moron. (more than usual, that is...)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i'm not sure if bleed through is a problem. the instructions on mine say you're allowed to make corrections by crossing out the mistake

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm not sure if bleed through is a problem. the instructions on mine say you're allowed to make corrections by crossing out the mistake
Sorry, to be clear I mean through to the other side, meaning that there are a bunch of effectively random (but clearly visible) splotches of ink all over the ballot pages. Most of them don't land on the opposite side's ovals, but my understanding was that this still invalidates the ballot.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

at least in my county or whatever you can turn in your mail in ballot at the polling place to get a regular ballot to fill out there

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

bitprophet posted:

I'll post links to opinions from the ones in my district when I get there, but it'll take me awhile to chew through stuff.

None of them have been too bad except for one somewhat dubious judgement about whether a probation restriction is unconstitutionally vague.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Turns out the reason so many companies were pulling out of the individual exchanges was that DaVita was using ACA’s no-rescission clause to steer people away from government subsidized healthcare and into commercial insurance in a scheme so greedy that it makes for-profit health insurance nearly seem sympathetic.

:negative:

I imagine these people aren't far from the point of just literally poisoning people so that their kidneys fail in order to get themselves more patients.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

I imagine these people aren't far from the point of just literally poisoning people so that their kidneys fail in order to get themselves more patients.

did you hear that the company that makes oxycontin and is popularly acknowledged to have pushed doctors to overprescribe it just patented a drug to manage oxycontin withdrawal symptoms

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Shear Modulus posted:

did you hear that the company that makes oxycontin and is popularly acknowledged to have pushed doctors to overprescribe it just patented a drug to manage oxycontin withdrawal symptoms

And is pushing OxyContin on the global South

As :psypop: non-addictive :psypop:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

According to the John Oliver segment, they actively discouraged people from getting transplants in order to keep them as dialysis patients.

Note that the life expectancy of a transplant patient is substantially longer than that of a dialysis patient who never gets a transplant. So yes, there is absolutely precedent for them actively harming patients in order to improve the bottom line, up to and including probably being at least partly responsible for a lot of patient deaths.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

According to the John Oliver segment, they actively discouraged people from getting transplants in order to keep them as dialysis patients.

Note that the life expectancy of a transplant patient is substantially longer than that of a dialysis patient who never gets a transplant. So yes, there is absolutely precedent for them actively harming patients in order to improve the bottom line, up to and including probably being at least partly responsible for a lot of patient deaths.

uhhh i believe thats called the free market and as we all know the invisible hand guarantees that consumers will get the best product because otherwise another company would make it and run them out of business

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Any truth to this?
"Re: prop 6 they already implemented the taxes and are planning on raising them if it's voted no, but the 'infrastructure' they say they're using the money for has like 46% planned to go to CHP and fire department pensions instead."

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
As of polls taken in June, Julia Peacock is probably not beating Calvert in district 42. Would anyone like to tell me otherwise :ohdear:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Any truth to this?
"Re: prop 6 they already implemented the taxes and are planning on raising them if it's voted no, but the 'infrastructure' they say they're using the money for has like 46% planned to go to CHP and fire department pensions instead."
also hearing a lot of "These taxes and fees have already been mismanaged. Upping our tax burden to "fix our roads and infrastructure" has been an argument for decades, yet the funds are always diverted elsewhere."

seems like there's some truth to both these arguments? Just not sure I wanna be on the same page as Devin Nunes

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I cannot speak to the CHP stuff but I will reiterate the other point: I work for a transportation agency in California, and we also handle road construction for the county. All of it is being funded by the gas tax. We would be capital F, hosed, if it gets repealed because a lot of this poo poo is already budgeted for. Current projects would have to have their scope dramatically cut back so they could be wrapped up in budget, and a lot of future projects would just be outright dropped. Also you have to jump through a ton of goddamn hoops to prove your project falls under transportation expenses to get SB1 funding. "THE GOVERNMENT IS MISMANAGING FUNDS :qq:" is always somewhat true because bureaucrats gonna bureaucracy, but the vast majority of it is shithead Republicans looking for ways to turn voters against government funded projects.

Please don't loving vote to repeal the gas tax, tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also yes "fix our roads and infrastructure" has been a talking point for decades because California is massive, has tons of infrastructure, and has tons2 of roads, and has tons3 of cars driving on those roads. It takes a lot of goddamn money to keep those roads in working order. It'd be cool if there were better ways for the average person to get around the state at scale but that just isn't the case so as long as driving everywhere all the time is the California way, we need to pour money into the infrastructure supporting that.