Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Wheat Loaf posted:

If Chris Claremont had written it:

"KILLED BY MY PENIS! MY CURSED, RADIOACTIVE SPERM-BLASTING PENIS!"

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wheat Loaf posted:

If Chris Claremont had written it:

"KILLED BY MY PENIS! MY CURSED, RADIOACTIVE SPERM-BLASTING PENIS!"

Spider-cum, spider-cum, radioactive spider cum.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Taintrunner posted:

I read Ruin for the first time today and I’m sad to admit I actually quite enjoyed it.

Get help.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samovar posted:

Spider-cum, spider-cum, radioactive spider cum.

Here's one I made earlier

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Spider-Cum" is the term
For his radioactive sperm.
Mary Jane already knows:
Cancer when he blows he load.
Look ooooouuuuuuuuuut!
Here cums the Spider-Maaaaaaaaaan!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Calaveron posted:

Whoa how is that Ben's fault
Eh, it's just that him not getting on the rocket was the earliest point of divergence and in the interview he wonders if everything would have gone differently if he had went with them, so it's just sort of vaguely pointing at him as the butterfly.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I thought that Ben was always originally against going out in the rocket exactly because of the shielding issues. The only reason he did agree to it was that Sue called him a coward. Seriously.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It was more the overall danger of the mission to serve the ambitions of a guy he wasn't too friendly with at the time, and with no benefit to him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unlucky7 posted:

The only reason he did agree to it was that Sue called him a coward. Seriously.

It's crazy that the past 50 plus years of FF have all been "YA MADE ME A MONSTER, REED!" / "I MADE BEN A MONSTER, READERS!" but that detail's been almost completely forgotten. I certainly can't think of any comment where Sue's like, "Yeah, I guilted you into it by calling you chicken. My bad, sorry."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's crazy that the past 50 plus years of FF have all been "YA MADE ME A MONSTER, REED!" / "I MADE BEN A MONSTER, READERS!" but that detail's been almost completely forgotten. I certainly can't think of any comment where Sue's like, "Yeah, I guilted you into it by calling you chicken. My bad, sorry."

I think it was brought up during the leadup to Fear Itself.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are manga panels/pages acceptable?

I wanted to post one of my absolute favorite sequences. Context: Battle Angel Alita, being made into a movie soon, is a classic cyberpunk manga in a world of cyborgs and one of my favorite series and settings of all time. In it there's a bloodsport called Motorball which initially was a normal sport but gradually got increasingly more violent. Over the course of nearly a dozen chapters, the top ranked player, Jashugan, is hyped up as this untouchable god, Muhammad Ali of Motorball, and Alita builds a team of the best players she can find to try and take the crown. The race starts, the crowd cheers, and then this happens without a single word or sound effect:

Apologies for the quality, I used to have higher-res versions but lost them. Yukito Kishiro's artwork is some of the best out there. I do not know how much of the manga the movie will adapt, but if there is one thing I want to see animated from that more than anything, it's this scene in particular.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I actually kinda liked Reign and the way it's written it's just as easy to assume Mary Jane was killed from his sweat because they slept in a bed together every night for however many years instead of going straight to "radioactive spider-cum."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

I actually kinda liked Reign and the way it's written it's just as easy to assume Mary Jane was killed from his sweat because they slept in a bed together every night for however many years instead of going straight to "radioactive spider-cum."

Or the middle ground between the two: saliva, from a married couple presumably kissing each other a lot.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Battle Angel Alita would come up too often if manga was more commonly covered amongst badass panels. there's so many I can think of also I don't think the movie will get up to the rollerball days. the movie will likely cover the doc ido and zapan...maybe a cliff hanger for the Den/Tipheres arc

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 17, 2018

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Calaveron posted:

Whoa how is that Ben's fault

It's not. He says he still feels like it is even though it would probably turn out the same way.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Even as a regular manga reader that was a bit confusing to follow, my bad, Invictus.

Looks cool but I have no idea what happened.

AkumaHokoru posted:

Battle Angel Alita would come up too often if manga was more commonly covered amongst badass panels. there's so many I can think of also I don't think the movie will get up to the rollerball days. the movie will likely cover the doc ido and zapan...maybe a cliff hanger for the Den/Tipheres arc

It is hard to isolate a single manga moment because they are long running stories with climatic sequences that take months to years of setting up. You can just post someone getting punched or blasted but it'd just be a neat drawing devoid of context.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Samuringa posted:

Alita challenges the reigning Motorball champion for martial arts reasons, and he accepts, but requires that she form a team of five to face him because he's so transcendent he requires a massive handicap.

She forms a team of all the notable people from her last race, and at the beginning of their match the champion just effortlessly obliterates her team.

As you said, it's a rad sequence but manga tends to fail without the context

The first guy there with the razor whips is a pretty goofy character who is very 90's comic badass:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kalli posted:

Alita challenges the reigning Motorball champion for martial arts reasons, and he accepts, but requires that she form a team of five to face him because he's so transcendent he requires a massive handicap.

She forms a team of all the notable people from her last race, and at the beginning of their match the champion just effortlessly obliterates her team.

As you said, it's a rad sequence but manga tends to fail without the context

The first guy there with the razor whips is a pretty goofy character who is very 90's comic badass:

The only thing missing is if he gave someone else a high-five with the severed hands later.

e: or fuckin', bobbed his head to clap

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Captain Invictus posted:

Apologies for the quality, I used to have higher-res versions but lost them. Yukito Kishiro's artwork is some of the best out there. I do not know how much of the manga the movie will adapt, but if there is one thing I want to see animated from that more than anything, it's this scene in particular.

I'm trying really hard to parse this but I have no idea what the gently caress is going on other than a vague sense of one guy wrecking a bunch of other guys. I respect the craftsmanship that went into rendering it but it's a bunch of visual gibberish to me :shrug:

Samuringa posted:

Even as a regular manga reader that was a bit confusing to follow, my bad, Invictus.

Glad it's not just me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Since i had no idea whether white trianglehead guy was a good guy or a bad guy i wasn't sure whether to have a feeling of dread that this guy was wrecking everyone else or whether to feel glee at the hero owning everyone in seconds

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean the same could be said about any panel posted here.

It’s mostly just contextless fights

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

For me at least it's nothing to do with lack of context or expository text, it's just literally "what the gently caress am I looking at, I have no idea" :shrug: and the way time seems to slow down and speed up with no cue to help you perceive that makes it much harder to parse.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Manga's always the worst though. Every time it's posted, there's a bunch of bewildered comments following it. That's usually followed by manga fans complaining that the thread is biased against Glorious Nippon. It's a real shitshow and is usually why you don't see much manga here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Can we please not do the sarcastic "glorious nippon" poo poo anymore.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 18, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Can we please not post manga anymore.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

In a general sense yeah, but i have enough passing familiarity with western superhero books that say, even though I've never read a flash book in my life if i see the flash or a guy in a reddish suit and a tin saucer helmet with lightning bolts i can assume their foe is a bad guy. But since i have no familiarity with alita i don't have any prior knowledge to lean on

site fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 18, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Manga is fine, its just the usual suspects complaining, as they usually do. But yeah I do have to say those panels, while badass, could have been conveyed better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Manga is fine, its just the usual suspects complaining, as they usually do.

Most of the active posters on the forum = the usual suspects.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Someone has a high opinion of themselves.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
manga and comic books are both for children

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

quite stretched out posted:

manga and comic books are literally the same thing

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Just lol if you look at pictures, like a big dumbass idiot

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i read comic books for the articles

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

Most of the active posters on the forum = the usual suspects.

So which director are you going to brag about watching this time you think someone called you racist?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It would be cool if the manga people posted wasn't blatantly pirated. At least this time it doesn't have the pirate website's watermark on it, at least.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Endless Mike posted:

It would be cool if the manga people posted wasn't blatantly pirated. At least this time it doesn't have the pirate website's watermark on it, at least.

lmao if you are implying almost every single comic page posted in this forum isn't pirated

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Venom Annual

This is a revisiting of the events of Venom: The Madness, only this time it's James Stokoe writing and drawing Madness Venom vs. Juggernaut and it is entirely my poo poo.

Juggernaut's expression in that first panel of the old lady's apartment is begging to be somebody's avatar.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

All of those faces are hilarious :allears:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
like half those Juggernaut faces are avatar worthy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
And the bimonthly manga completes again.

*manga post*
"This sucks"
"No it doesn't, it's just another kind of comic"
"Actually all manga sucks"
"Nuh uh"
"Yeah huh"
"Nuh uh"
*repeat for several hours*
*someone posts something else entirely*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I actually don't have problems with manga and some of it is awesome, just that particular sequence was very hard to parse, and at least a few manga fans confirmed that. There's other manga out there whose action is so tight it loving squeaks:

Those are literally just panels from the manga strung together in a gif, because Murata is a god :shrug:

e: and furthermore,

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 18, 2018