Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Having trouble deciding if I want to play as a bard or as a ninja. Could someone point me to a guide to the pros and cons of playing each?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
They are both the best.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Arrrthritis posted:

Having trouble deciding if I want to play as a bard or as a ninja. Could someone point me to a guide to the pros and cons of playing each?

Pros: Both jobs are constant action with the highest cpm.

Cons: RSI.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I don’t know poo poo about bards but here’s ninja:

cons:
start at level 1

pros:
-flip when you jump
-less finicky than monk at doing the work and maintaining buffs, cooler than DRG (I think?)
-really cool daggers and animations
-feels like you’re playing invoker from hit videogame DOTA 2
-nobody notices when you mess up
-melee LB is a huge plus

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bards don't have to deal with Ten Chi Jin and are probably superior based on that alone. Nin is pretty fun from 45-69 or so though.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Thundarr posted:

Bards don't have to deal with Ten Chi Jin and are probably superior based on that alone. Nin is pretty fun from 45-69 or so though.

Foe Requiem is still a DPS loss, but it's definitely not TCJ.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Note that if there's any lul time it's a fantastic time to use it and basically is free damage especially if it sinks with battle cry/other buffs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Bards are my priority mana shift targets

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Chakan posted:

-nobody notices when you mess up*

* except if you mess up trick attack timing

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Saint Freak posted:

No one ever remembers the ABC's of Cerberus

A: Adds
B: kill those wolfBanes
C: Cfuck assholes they're killing the healers do literally anything even a single button press will help you goddamn shits

I don't think I'll ever get over the WoD run I got in my last alliance raid roulette, which somehow wiped multiple times on angra mainyu AND cloud of darkness but sailed right thru cerberus in one go. how tf does THAT happen???

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Solovey posted:

I don't think I'll ever get over the WoD run I got in my last alliance raid roulette, which somehow wiped multiple times on angra mainyu AND cloud of darkness but sailed right thru cerberus in one go. how tf does THAT happen???

If 2 or 3 people do the Cerberus mechanics right, they save everyone and they move on.

If 2 or 3 people do Angra and Cloud right, 21 people are dead.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

it seems like every time I do wod that very first pull right out of the gate is always a total shitshow of chimeras running wild paralyzing and freezing idiots

all the bosses will drop like they’re hot tho

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Renegret posted:

Actually with Cerberus people usually blame the tanks for not picking up the adds, even though they're dead because they did pick up the adds and died because the healers who are allergic to cross alliance healing didn't heal them.

So I’ve got my first healer class almost to 50 and I’ve been wondering about this. I know you can turn on mouse mode and use the touchpad to scroll over to the other alliance’s party box to click on individual people, but does anybody know if there is an easier way to cross alliance heal on a controller? Because that would be clunky as hell.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If 2 or 3 people do the Cerberus mechanics right, they save everyone and they move on.

If 2 or 3 people do Angra and Cloud right, 21 people are dead.

Sounds about right.

Speaking of Alliance Raid, I got a weird WAR queue today where a Tank left/was kicked(?) at the third boss of Void Ark.

I dunno if he went offline or just refused to do anything, but it was the easiest ARR I ever got.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

So I’ve got my first healer class almost to 50 and I’ve been wondering about this. I know you can turn on mouse mode and use the touchpad to scroll over to the other alliance’s party box to click on individual people, but does anybody know if there is an easier way to cross alliance heal on a controller? Because that would be clunky as hell.
I just target whatever is killing them and then assist target. If they aren't being actively killed by something I probably am not going to give a poo poo about healing someone outside of my party. If you're ressing a healer then yeah you're probably going to have to touchpad up there, I think if you hit select enough times eventually the cursor will end up in the party frame but that's a little clunky.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
IIRC L1+Dpad right/left will take your cursor into the next/previous Alliance parties, but it does totally suck.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I can't offer too much help because I don't play on controller, but honestly you're only need to cross alliance heal when everything turns into a shitshow and starts to spiral out of control.

It just so happens that the add phase of Cerberus is always a shitshow.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Sounds about right.

Speaking of Alliance Raid, I got a weird WAR queue today where a Tank left/was kicked(?) at the third boss of Void Ark.

I dunno if he went offline or just refused to do anything, but it was the easiest ARR I ever got.

i had a dps AFKing in an MSQ roulette once so as we rolled up on the ultima weapon fight we kicked them

person who backfilled had so much less MSQ to do than they thought, they were thrilled lmao

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wish I could queue in on Ultima Weapon, but I always get the full Blah-blah-brea experience.

On the other hand, soon I will no longer need to do MSQ (until 5.0)!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Kaubocks posted:

i had a dps AFKing in an MSQ roulette once so as we rolled up on the ultima weapon fight we kicked them

person who backfilled had so much less MSQ to do than they thought, they were thrilled lmao

Had a msq refuse to kick someone offline and treat a random dps and we kept him offline for the entire 45 minutes, so I’m glad that same situation had a better outcome for rando.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i still haven't really settled on a mch glamor because i'm uncreative and indecisive as gently caress so i shamelessly stole something i saw online so i don't have to look at shire gear

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

Note that if there's any lul time it's a fantastic time to use it and basically is free damage especially if it sinks with battle cry/other buffs.

Yeah, I don't want people to misunderstand what I said as never use it. It's a fantastic party DPS tool to line up with everyones skills, and a net personal positive if you're not currently using GCDs to use it pre-pull/phase transitions. But mid-rotation it's pretty awful and needs desperately to be shunted off global as soon as the dev team can.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Had a msq refuse to kick someone offline and treat a random dps and we kept him offline for the entire 45 minutes, so I’m glad that same situation had a better outcome for rando.
It can be impossible to kick if the leech is parked on the other side of a teleporter with live mobs close enough to register combat. You'd need some people to return and kill those mobs first.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thundarr posted:

What's so bad about this? From what I'm reading, it seems like it's sorta like Kassatsu, except it uses the interim jutsus in the process of casting.

I found some chart* and I don't understand the opener in it; it uses Ten Chi Jin to cast Suiton, but not long after Trick Attack, so seems like a wasted Suiton. Is the idea just to get in the buffed Fuma/Raiton while the enemy is debuffed with the previous Trick Attack (or is this rotation wrong/outdated)?

*https://i.redd.it/mtzxiowbrm7z.png

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 18, 2018

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

What's so bad about this? From what I'm reading, it seems like it's sorta like Kassatsu, except it uses the interim jutsus in the process of casting.

I found some chart* and I don't understand the opener in it; it uses Ten Chi Jin to cast Suiton, but not long after Trick Attack, so seems like a wasted Suiton. Is the idea just to get in the buffed Fuma/Raiton while the enemy is debuffed with the previous Trick Attack (or is this rotation wrong/outdated)?

*https://i.redd.it/mtzxiowbrm7z.png

That looks really old. No one really does that first opener anymore and if you are using TCJ in the opener you will use the doton combo since it is more potency.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

slev posted:

That looks really old. No one really does that first opener anymore and if you are using TCJ in the opener you will use the doton combo since it is more potency.

Okay, that makes sense. My default assumption was that you'd want to use Doton with it (since I think it's the only 3-mudra jutsu that does damage). What is it that makes it confusing/difficult then?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ten Chi Jin is the worst skill in the game. It forces you to stand still and take no other actions, so you will end up losing a gcd. Moving at all will drop it and put your mudra on cooldown. You also need to use it if you want max deeps.

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013
You can't move at all once you hit TCJ or it will cancel and you'll lose out on a bunch of damage. So you need to know when you'll be safe to sit still and fire off 3 mudras in a row, otherwise be prepared to eat AoEs or cancel it to do mechanics if you time it wrong. It also just feels very clunky to have to sit still and stop everything just to use it. It's not terrible once you get used to it or know the fights, but it feels very awkward compared to the rest of NIN's kit.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

TCJ is 1) cancelled by movement, 2) is very sensitive to lag, 3) cancels auto attacks which can throw off ninki timings, 4) just generally feels really bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I doubt I'll ever be so perfect at playing that throwing off ninki timings is actually an issue, but I can see why the not being able to move might be, at least during fights where you're constantly having to dodge things.

edit: Btw, they should remove the damage from Jugulate IMO, because as is it's this dumb thing I have to leave on my hotbars just for the sake of maximizing DPS by hitting it on cooldown.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 18, 2018

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Since people were talking about MCH glamour a little bit earlier, here's mine.

Going for a little bit of the Bayonetta look, inspired by a random goon's comment after seeing my lala wearing glasses.

And here's a few extra glamour shots:

EDIT: Did just get the Mendacity pistol though, which is also pretty good.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 18, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chakan posted:

I don’t know poo poo about bards but here’s ninja:

cons:
-start at level 1
-The entire mudra system is atrocious over 100ms ping.
-TJC

pros:
-flip when you jump
-less finicky than monk at doing the work and maintaining buffs, cooler than DRG (I think?)
-really cool daggers and animations
-feels like you’re playing invoker from hit videogame DOTA 2
-nobody notices when you mess up
-melee LB is a huge plus

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I ended up with an extra PS4, EU region key for Stormblood.
Does anyone want to buy it off me for the previous sale price(20€)?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Kaubocks posted:

i still haven't really settled on a mch glamor because i'm uncreative and indecisive as gently caress so i shamelessly stole something i saw online so i don't have to look at shire gear

Full frontal assault.

Yapping Eevee posted:

EDIT: Did just get the Mendacity pistol though, which is also pretty good.

That pistol is very good.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ytlaya posted:

I doubt I'll ever be so perfect at playing that throwing off ninki timings is actually an issue, but I can see why the not being able to move might be, at least during fights where you're constantly having to dodge things.

edit: Btw, they should remove the damage from Jugulate IMO, because as is it's this dumb thing I have to leave on my hotbars just for the sake of maximizing DPS by hitting it on cooldown.

It doesn't even have to be in high end content. Plenty of regular content has kicked me in the crotch by popping an AoE under me as soon as I hit TCJ. And it's frustrating because you really are meant to make sure you never waste ninki. However, there are times where you'll end up sitting at cap because "Do I have time for TCJ before this mechanic?" God forbid you hit it at the wrong time, too. You lose the autos, a GCD, and all those mudras, and maybe a Trick Attack depending on when in the fight you mess it up.

It doesn't break the class or anything, but TCJ is maddening.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
TCJ is a great way to occasionally feel the rush BLMs feel when they're deciding if its worth moving to avoid the AoE or if they want to finish casting fire4 and eat poo poo (the answer is finish casting)

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I don't know what this Ten Chi Jin poo poo is but it doesn't sound great so I think Ru'By Rhod is going to embrace his destiny as a bard.

Thanks for the advice!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The worst part of playing Bard is just figuring out how to use Troubadour most effectively (here's a hint: don't bother).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i just habitually use it before a raidwide even if it's not on the right song to mitigate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Arrrthritis posted:

I don't know what this Ten Chi Jin poo poo is but it doesn't sound great so I think Ru'By Rhod is going to embrace his destiny as a bard.

Thanks for the advice!

So, you know when you do jutsu, the thing that you do with one seal is different from the thing that you do with three seals, right?

Ten Chi Jin lets you invoke after each seal, so instead of just busting out one jutsu, you bust out three.