Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Turns out, faces are real loving complicated, who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

We need like a 100 more of these gifs. They are amazing.

E: VVV That's a good start.

pokie fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 18, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

We need like a 100 more of these gifs. They are amazing.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Was Kickstarter created to enable the work of performance art that is Star Citizen? Because I think it's probably worth it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Crowdfunding is specifically designed to siphon the money of idiots into the hands of madmen shouting about their fever dreams.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
replaying freespace and laughing that they had the how to tell if the target is on the other side of something problem solved 20 years ago and shows up in the training mission

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Oct Set 3

Editor's note: Still need to recap Citizencon 2018 which occurred early October. Just been busy laughing.

Scruffpuff posted:

* Reddit fantasizing about what will happen to their characters if they log-off while on a train *
Does anyone know what will happen if I log out without crashing in this nonexistent game from a nonexistent train between two nonexistent stations? Does anyone know how this unplanned and undesigned game will handle this theoretical situation which I thought of while watching a hand-crafted demo level that was carefully programmed to give the illusion that this was all finished an in place? Does anyone know? I figured since the people ostensibly making this game don't know yet that it stands to reason people on Reddit would know the answer off hand.

Getsuya posted:

I’m a weaboo so I thought it would be fun to see what kinds of things Japanese gamers were saying about Star Citizen. What I discovered was that, though our countries and languages may be different, gamers are apparently the exact same everywhere. Just picking a few bits from the thread I read:

Someone says NMS and ED are better games made in less time.
Someone says ‘I told you! I told you not to trust a guy with fried-looking eyes! Right from the beginning!’ No I don’t know what the hell fried-looking eyes means.
Someone says ‘SC will surpass NMS and ED! Everyone just keeps hating on it because they don’t realize it’s IN DEVELOPMENT and just want to whine about stuff that hasn’t been implemented yet but is just around the corner!’
Someone asks the previous poster ‘So how much you in for?’
Someone rages about the company using shady tactics to avoid refunding him.
Someone posts trailers of X4 and says they should all play that instead.
Someone says ‘Hey I just saw a video on YouTube, looks pretty good and I’m thinking of buying it’
Someone responds ‘Pledge for the dream! Just don’t play it right now because it’s broken and sucks’
The DEVELOPMENT guy comes back to tell the new guy not to believe the haters but come to the JP SC Discord group where he can here the ‘real information’ that ‘isn’t reported publicly’

:reddit: posted:

How will CIG deal with female NPCs?
Granted, this may appear as an odd question but opens up many avenues for gameplay. Has Tony Z talked about this mechanic?

Sillybones posted:

Oh, I understand why they all get scammed now. They get excited about absolutely nothing.

Scruffpuff posted:

Anyone else think X4 Foundations drew very heavy inspiration from Star Citizen? It's basically single player Star Citizen from the looks of it.

I have it on good authority that George Lucas drew heavy inspiration for Star Wars from Star Citizen. Moreover, Mark Hamill drew inspiration for his early career from his later career. Mark Hamill took that inspiration as playing Old Man and used it to inspire his part as Luke Skywalker.

I'm a citizen, and this is how I think time works.

DigitalPenny posted:

I think there is a place for backing risky games or ideas, my big issue with CIG is they not that they tried and failed. It is they have produced and thrown away vast quantities of quality work when they have tried and failed its swept under the carpet and not talked about. They appear to start over again and again while pretending like everything is going stellar, self-congratulate themselves on how amazing and open they are but only have sales to show for there efforts. It's just astounding how much support they get for this while they are lying and appear to be lining their own pockets.

Strategic Tea posted:

Also SC has no visual identity. Like, have you ever been on a semi professional art site like artstation or whatever with lots of Hollywood artists shopping for work? Ever notice that it's 90% soulless generic tat because they are focused on the digital work pipeline blah blah instead of any actual creativity? SC took all that and put it in a game.

It's like someone posted earlier. It's just megacorpz, space raiderz, and the United States of Earth Federation. No one has put down a sweet rug in their spaceship. No one has put cool war paint on their generic halo armour; no one is burning roadside incense to little protector deities of space travel; no one is prejudiced against the filthy low-g itinerants; no one is cooking bizarro street food or selling the produce of a thousand worlds.

Hell, just look at their endless ship ads which are either 'cheesy car ad' or 'pentagon wars miltech presentation'. God forbid anything interesting would have changed in human society as a result of LIVING IN GODDAMN SPACE.

Grubby Hobo posted:

In 2023:

“Hello, CIG complaints line, how can I help you?”

“Oh thank goodness, a person. Your automated phone tree is horrible!”

“It’s Tier 0, sir. Do you have a complaint about Post-Alpha 27.3?”

“drat right I do! I just called up my Kraken, and about two minutes later, there was a ship on every platform! They’re not mine! What are they doing there?”

“Blah blah blah”

“Sorry, I didn’t catch that. What’s a Goon? What’s a Refundian?”

[click]

Morphix posted:

doesn't have foip

crobbers trying to ape the aliens/sci-fi helmet lighting thing is hilarious because it does not work with the foip, it makes your foip look like poo poo, w/o the helmet lights it looks ~okay~

boviscopophobic posted:

Take that, FUDsters! :smuggo: :owned:

I want to see them open their universe to other game dev studios. CIG provides a working multiplayer game, hosted servers, all assets, fully working FPS with many weapons and armors... and all another game dev has to do is build out their story and levels within an existing SC planet, like Yela for example... they can create a massive single player or even coop game on Yela using SC assets, hosted by CIG for a price, and CIG gets a portion of the profit. So. Much. Potential... and it's a hell of a way to fill the Verse with quality builds and usage. Imagine being able to land on a planet and for $15 you get access to a "quest" that essentially sends you into another companies game, all within the SC universe.

Scruffpuff posted:

So back in the day the team that made Everquest made a little tank game called Tanaris. Before that name got applied it went through alpha and beta cycles as Armorgeddon. Now the point of this little game was to pew pew your tanks at each other. There were four corners and four colors, a bit like the 80s classic Warlords. You chose from different tank sizes, with strengths/weaknesses, and you could outfit them with a finite loadout. There was capture the flag, kill counts, various ways to win.

Now, here's the fun part. Most people grabbed the medium size tanks, kitted them out with laser turrets, and to these people, the game was circle-strafing each other with their pew pew lasers. Now, other players would get in the heavier tanks and shell an area from a distance, which didn't do a lot of overall damage, but tended to push tanks around and deny activity in the covered zone. I'm sure to the surprise of nobody here, those players were considered to be playing the game "wrong" and were called derogatory terms such as "loving shellers." See, the people actually playing the game as designed were interfering with the established micro-game of Circle-Strafe Laser Tank. If you weren't circle-strafing laser tanking, you were attacked mercilessly in chat.

My personal favorite move was to lay manually triggered mines on the enemy repair pads, then let several tanks drive over them without setting them off. This would lead the other team to think the guy who set them went linkdead, or they were just bugged. Then I'd blow some fucker up at the most psychologically damaging moment possible, like when he had 1 hit point left and he thought he was home-free with the flag and ignored the mines as I had trained him to do. More networking traffic went into the chat log at those times than into the entire rest of the game.

I bring this up because I'm already starting to feel the same types of people burrowing their rotten tendrils into what they think Star Citizen will be. Don't run in stations, don't ram my ships, you're playing "wrong." As much as I fully believe this game will never release, there's a part of me that practically can't wait. The more complex CIG makes it, the more ridiculous ways I'm going to be able to take people out. And the long travel times and insistence on fidelity and immersion means the time invested for the other player is extreme, so his eventual death at my hands when I toss a grenade at his rear end while he disembarks his ship after a 30 minute eventless ride will be all the sweeter for it.

Griefing these people is literally the only thing that could motivate me to tolerate the horrible mess this thing is.

Scruffpuff posted:

I don't think citizens are ready (again) to handle the reality that they're not Captain-General Han Picard dying in glorious combat in a huge explosion that kills them heroically yet saves the day and everyone just knows despite thousands dead that it's he who saved the day.

Citizens are the nameless guy who died in the toilet when the Death Star blew up. Citizens are the guy in the holodeck with his pants around his ankles when the cruiser is vaporized. Unnamed, unknown, in a perpetual state of respawn and grief over people teabagging him in front of the ship selection terminal.

When Chris said "I can put this mug anywhere" most people laughed. Insane people applauded. I steepled my fingers and said "Excellent..." because I know that by tossing my mug in the wrong place at the wrong time I will ruin dozens of peoples' days. You just can't get that kind of satisfaction with any other game.

Invalid Complaints
Has anyone actually seen any valid complaints about this game? I'm 100% sure they exist but, personally, I can't recall seeing any.

Beexoffel posted:

For a moment I thought I was looking at one of those multi-strutted cockpits.

Scruffpuff posted:

Real IPs and properties are usually interesting in some way, or unique. Parodies of those IPs, or parodies of genres, can be even more interesting and unique and creative in their own ways. CIG is completely sterile of any personality whatsoever. Even the name, "Star Citizen", is monumentally, almost bury-the-needle stupid. And they went with it. I understand that Chris Roberts is the Special Olympian of game developers, but even participants in the Special Olympics occasionally get told, "You blew it, Stan." Chris just drools out whatever synapse fired off and everyone applauds.

Sometimes I think the best evidence that Star Citizen isn't a scam is that a scam would be better thought out.

Scruffpuff posted:

Like imagine you're making a chess game, and you decide to use artificial stupidity because you figure it will be easier than AI. So that's easy - you just make the chess algorithm pick bad moves. Move the queen to the wrong space, player counters, mate in 1. Easy.

Now you're tasked with making the same chess game, but you have to make it Chris Roberts level. Now you have a challenge, because you have to think outside the box. Perhaps you move the pawn backwards. But that's still not stupid enough. What if you eat the pawn, poo poo on the board, fall off your chair, then spit into a cake? Now you're closer to the mark.

You can see how hard that would be to code. Ergo, Star Citizen is doomed. Stupidity of Chris's level is almost impossible to emulate.

ZenMaster posted:

Let's compare SC to a relationship.

A citizen is talking to his friend, who is married and has two kids.

Typical Citizen: Hey, I'm going to get married soon!*

His friend: Oh, yeah? To who?

TC: Star Citizendra, she's so beautiful. Prettier than your wife. Been dating for 4 years!

HF: I thought you met her in 2012?

TC: Oh those first 4 years weren't actual dating. We were just flirting a bit.

HF: For 4 years? Um, ok...

TC: Yeah, she needed more time to get to a place where she was ready to commit. Now, the relationship is moving at lightning speed!

HF: Um, ok... can I meet her?

TC: Oh, yeah, here she is now!

A stunning woman approaches...

Star Citizendra (face contorts randomly as she speaks): Hello, I'm your dream girl. I can be completely yours for only 30,000-

HF: WHAT?

TC: Hahha, nothing, she likes to joke like that. She's isn't your typical pay to win gal, she just needs a few bucks to get her interested, and everything else you can earn while dating. I almost earned my first kiss.

HF: Huh?

TC: Oh, I could pay her 450 dollars for a smooch, but I want to earn it in-date. Should be kissing her in about 400 more hours of dating.

HF: ok.... What do you do on these dates?

TC: I get her stuff.

HF: Like?

TC: Oh, lots of things. Boxes. Blue boxes. Black boxes. Grey boxes. It's a little game we like to play. Sometimes she drives my car and crashes it over and over!

HF: That isn't normal?

SC: Grab! Eat!

HF: Um, what?

TC: It's an inside joke we laugh about. Lots of people have broken up with her over the last 4 years, but they are fools! They will want her back! (smiles) We will be married soon!

SC (Her arms and legs start stretching in a lovecraftian horror-like fashion): Two weeks!

TC: hahah, she's been saying that for four years. It's so cute.

HF: Um...

TC: We'll have kids, a house, and a white picket fence. Not at first, but soon. She is completely barren, but that will change she says. Also, the house she says she owns? It's crooked frame on an empty lot, but one will be built there some day. After that, psh, a fence is easy peasy! Plus, everyone will want her!

HF: Well, good luck with all that. Everything you are hoping for, I already have.

SC: Dreams! EH WOP EH WOAH! (she jitters off her chair and falls through the floor)

TC: (Running towards the basement) Just remember, she's better looking than YOUR wife!

Dementropy posted:

Motherboard: 'Star Citizen' Says Its Advanced Face Tracking Tech Isn't Feature Creep

quote:

Faceware, the company whose technology helped make FoIP possible, is making the camera but it hasn’t set a price or a release date. Despite that, the company is taking pre-orders. Again, keep in mind that these are pre-orders for a camera for a game that doesn't exist yet.

Scruffpuff posted:

That last part is what confuses me about the remaining backers. Even in a best-case scenario (which we couldn't be further from) a game that is filled with "what Chris wants" is pretty much going to be really bad. Like they've doomed their own dreams by putting them in the hands of a man who feeds on dreams and shits out unfinished art assets in a hacked model-viewer. Sometimes it feels like there's an inside contest at CIG to see how far Chris can push these people and have them still begging to suck his dick. And so far the limit hasn't been reached.

Scruffpuff posted:

Someone earlier in the thread called the in-game assets "props" and I think that's a perfect description of what Star Citizen is. Like a Hollywood set with doors, sinks, toilets, buildings, but it's all just there to look good for the cameras. People think you can hack that poo poo in later somehow, but ask a guy who builds movies sets if making them into the real deal is just a matter of a few tweaks.

Hobold posted:

:reddit: "Nothing will ever have the fidelity of SC! Crobears is a genius!"

https://i.imgur.com/4xs62u8.gifv

FailureToReport posted:

Hey guys! Sorry it's been a while, I've been super busy shilling for Star Citizen , I need to get a new PC you know?

So let's talk about Star Citizen 3.3 PTU....

As others have mentioned, we are I can't even count what patch deep now, major issues are either still unresolved, or they tried fixing them and broke 10 other new things. Half the ships aren't functioning properly (like, as in ships that "work" fine in 3.2 are suddenly full on loving trashed.) Scanners don't work, turrets don't work, elevators are death, ladders are death, elevators don't work, like.....just totally hosed. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but while OCS seems to have bumped up FPS performance, everything else dialed back to 3.0 levels of hosed up.

Ships are purchasable in game! The prices are pretty high, especially if you're a peasant with only a starter ship. I try to champion the voice of the people on the Spectrum, HOLY poo poo..........EVERYONE wants prices to be higher, especially the Lords of Verse in Concierge. What? Do they want to kill their beloved dream in it's crib? Someone UN-IRONICALLY says that players should not have an Orion after playing for TWO YEARS. I thought they were giving Chris money for the PLEDGE, for the DREAM, not so they could have an edge in the not pay to win verse? I need a safe space, I will absolutely be banned if I try talking to these cultist fucknut batshit forumdadding chris cucks the way they need to be talked to.

DigitalPenny posted:

Looking at Linkedin data. What struck me was how many artists they have, considering all the groundbreaking working and tech they are supposedly doing they are very light on engineers and technical people, even evil publishers doing the boring same old have orders of magnitude more tech people.

The ratio of engineers to artists
EA - 1.3 per artists
Blizzard - 0.77 per artist
Ubisoft - 0.7 per artist
Bethesda - 0.6 per artist
Rockstar - 0.4 per artists
CIG - 0.29 per artist

colonelwest posted:

Pff, like Crytek has a snowball's chance inside a volcano of winning anything. They're getting pwned at every turn by CIG

Citizens seem to think that courts work like rap battles. You and your opponent take turns laying down sick burns on each other while the judge keeps score, whoever's burns are the sickest wins at the end.

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1055516436813234177

TheAgent posted:

[quote="TheAgent"]Let me be clear and plain: mechanics for space flight, ground and space combat, trading and basic professions are 18 to 24 months away. This means out of our pre-alpha testbed and working how we want them to work. Notice that this might clash with how you, the backer, wants them to work.

18 to 24 months. For basic things. What this means, ultimately, is that things we've sold you -- things you have already purchased -- will have drastic changes and reductions. I'm not suggesting you refund; in fact, quite the opposite. In order to fulfil your earlier purchases -- even in reduced form -- we need you to pledge more. By internal estimates, we have another $200 million worth of tech that needs to be created, implemented, tested and released. This can take anywhere from 4 to 8 more years. 4 is best case, expecting no turnovers or unexpected problems -- which their always are.[quote]

ah yes, our totally wrong and completely off leaks from earlier this year

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
What am I looking at here? Spongebob colored patties or Homer eating the rotten sandwich?

Looking forward to finding out what Citizencon had in store.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I recognize that quote from TNG! :haw:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

False, the quote is from the original series episode "By Any Other Name..." :schrute:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kavak posted:

False, the quote is from the original series episode "By Any Other Name..." :schrute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0RuRJOQa8M&t=20s

TNG S6E04: "Relics" :colbert:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

That was a callback to the original episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPpvViI6tgg

If we're going for hyper-pedantism, I suppose you could argue that the original clip doesn't quite stress the "it is ... it is..." pause, but that's violently missing the point. I'd agree that Lesnick was probably quoting Data, for no other reason that a lot of people didn't realize just how many callback jokes were crammed into that Scotty episode.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 29, 2018

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also because Data says "it is" 3 times, whereas Scotty says "it's" twice.
:goonsay:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

If we're going for hyper-pedantism, I suppose you could argue that the original clip doesn't quite stress the "it is ... it is..." pause, but that's violently missing the point. I'd agree that Lesnick was probably quoting Data, for no other reason that a lot of people didn't realize just how many callback jokes were crammed into that Scotty episode.

lol, Star wars nerds.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drat I want to know more about the redditor talking about the new gameplay opportunities opened up by female npcs

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hentai Jihadist posted:

drat I want to know more about the redditor talking about the new gameplay opportunities opened up by female npcs

It's a goon.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Hentai Jihadist posted:

drat I want to know more about the redditor talking about the new inevitable consequences opened up by female npcs

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

drat I want to know more about the redditor talking about the new inevitable consequences opened up by female npcs

You earn 65% of what everyone else earns, and have your ideas stolen constantly.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Hav posted:

You earn 65% of what everyone else earns, and have your ideas stolen constantly.

Well, star citizen IS about having experiences you've never had before!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lechtansi posted:

Well, star citizen IS about having experiences you've never had before!

10% of the time, incoming FOIP calls are just a wobbly dick.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Nah, crobert's married.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Oct Set 4

Scruffpuff posted:

"the future of Star Citizen"

:laffo:

Mr. Carlisle posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisHarrow_SC/status/1056218949493448706

Imagine doing this when you could learn a real language that would actually benefit you in real life if you ever decide to travel outside your basement space ship nerd pit

Oh wait nevermind

colonelwest posted:

They need to convince themselves that SC is real, and their dreams of a life in space are valid. They also tacitly acknowledge that CIG is a money fire and they hope to proselytize to new suckers to keep Chris' glacial farce of game development going. It's telling that its always about some peripheral or meta experience surrounding the game, its never about all of the amazing game play and social experiences they're having in this seven year old pre-Alpha.

It's amazing just how much insane behavior CIG has managed to normalize, not just spending thousands on spaceship JPEG's for a nonexistent game, but actively evangelizing for it and crushing descent at every opportunity. "Fellow gamer, have you heard the good news of our lord and savior Chris Roberts?"
They're faith and monetary tithing will be rewarded in the end when Chris' vision is finally unleashed on the world and they transcend into places of honor in the MMO to end all MMO's.

Martman posted:

SC has more depth than Elite, but that's very easy as it common knowledge that Elite has the depth of a puddle. SC spent 95% of its time on tech and tools building. They are now adding features and content in lightspeed. SC 3.5 will be the end of ED if you look at the content.
The content is moving at lightspeed, that's why we can't see it!

Beet Goblin posted:

I think the problem here is that SC fans have an incredibly low bar for what they think 'fun' is, because I can promise you that during the ~3 ish hours total (including time spent desperately trying to get into a server) I can't say I had anything happen that was fun aside from hanging out on voice chat with goons, which would have happened even if we were playing Elite or Destiny or fuckin Tabletop Sim

Sarsapariller posted:

The fun actually decreases as you add more people in Star Citizen. Everyone in Star Citizen is intensely fragile, all the time. TTK on a spaceship is about .8 seconds, TTK on spaceman is even lower. And they will always respawn at the least convenient possible location, or with a giant insurance timer. Once you get over ~3 people in a group, literally all you are going to be doing is waiting on one or more people to respawn, or you're going to have to fly off and leave them. And that's assuming that everyone even manages to load into the same server which is a 2 hour ordeal in itself. The only way the big Citizen "Look we're having FUN" videos work is by, as someone pointed out last night, inviting 50 people and then filming the 5 who actually manage to make it through.

Overcome all of that, get everyone crewing your chariot, and what do you get? Maybe 2 or 3 minutes of "Gameplay" that amounts to traveling somewhere, because the missions don't work, the chat doesn't work, sharing the QT travel point to other ships doesn't work, landing will probably kill half your crew, and combat will definitely kill all of them.

Scruffpuff posted:

They are at max bad already, they can't get any worse. I should remind you that this group of people are not above slander, harrassment, doxxing, fraud or even impersonation.. Also trademark infringement considering that they also sometimes pretend to be fans of CIG in order to subvert it, like for example with the subreddit /r/squadron42 which pretends to be a Squadron 42 fan subreddit when it is in fact a (thinly veiled) effort to undermine the Squadron 42 development and release.

All I know is that these guys are really bad news for everyone everywhere. They are creeps and the only thing they do is poison any environment they happen to be in. Literally nobody likes them anywhere so I don't see the purpose of pretending like they deserve a place on the same playground as everyone else, because they genuinely don't and everyone would be better off if they were excluded.

They're about as popular as ISIS so I really don't get why so many feels like they need to defend their "right to an opinion".

If I were actively trying to recruit Goons for this clusterfuck of a game I don't think I could write any better lure than that post.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen: They are at Max Bad already!

Scruffpuff posted:

kilus aof posted:

There is an Australian soap called Home and Away that has been on for over 30 years. Back in 90s there was a main character, Casey Mitchell, that was still in school but her passion was piano. So for a few weeks all her storylines revolved around this big competition which was an important step for her dream of becoming a professional pianist. She then becomes obsessed with studying for the competition being highly stressed and having sleepless nights. At the competition she plays a highly technical piece but makes mistakes. Her rival, an antagonistic minor character, plays a simpler piece without errors and wins the competition.

Casey is livid at this stating the piece she attempted was far more challenging then the piece her rival did and she should have won. Her mentor has to sit her down and explain her rival played a simpler piece better than she played her more technical piece. Something simple executed perfectly is better than something more complex with bad execution. Ambition, passion and drive are all perfectly fine things to have but at the end of the day you are judged on your execution. An important life lesson especially at age 10 when I saw it.

Which is why Star Citizen constantly fails in any comparison to any substantially released game. Star Citizen's execution is so bad in all areas that any game that isn't on the level of Big Rigs just smashes the poo poo out of it. Any talk about ambition or complexity are mute because in Star Citizen nothing functions at any degree that could be considered acceptable.

This is note-perfect. The constant whines of "But but look what we're TRYING to do" from CIG, and even from the backers, isn't the defense they think it is. It simply reveals that they know they're out of their depth, but want a participation trophy anyway.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If Star Citizen were a normal game then this would be absolutely spot on. It's a perfect example of the inherent flaw of how Chris works; he takes on too much, emphasizes complexity over quality, and ultimately fails to deliver before abandoning everything or being forced out. We saw that demonstrated aptly in Freelancer. However where Star Citizen differs is the intent of the product. This is not a game. It's a universe. It's a simulation, a framework that's intended to allow the backers to create their own stories. That's why you have people looking at pictures of offices and imagining themselves being there, or people excited about a 5 minute wait for a train. It's why you have people saying that spending thousands of hours to get enough to buy a ship is a good thing; it's realistic. It's immersive. It's not intended to be fun.

Remember, in the eyes of a backer Star Citizen can't fail. It's inconceivable. So whenever CIG talks about how things might be, as far as the backer is concerned that just means it will be implemented eventually. Nevermind how busy CIG is, how terrible or esoteric an idea might be, or even if CIG has the experience to execute the task. Something promised is just as good as something delivered.

Beet Goblin posted:

goons, reading the ingredient list for pizza dough: Hey uhhh I think instead of "portland cement" you should use flour? this doesn't seem like it'll make a good pizza

galaxy-brained reddit dudes: gently caress you, goonie! you don't know anything about how to make a pizza! you're not qualified to give advice!

goons, tasting the resulting pizza dough: hey this pizza dough loving sucks, I think maybe the pizza is gonna be bad.

galaxy-brained reddit dudes: How can you taste the pizza dough and judge the pizza? it's not out yet! besides, if all you're going to do is complain, get lost. try offering a solution next time, rear end in a top hat.

goons: :shrug:

Twyst posted:

I worked on a project that was in perpetual alpha, we had a couple of 'bugs' (limitations of the engine, memory leaks, etc) which were used to close off the majority of other bugs as symptoms of the big issues. Imo they have QA but the devs can't fix the bugs they report because they're a symptom of a bigger issue which is that the core of their project is rotten.

Unsurprisingly that project went through several iterations, millions of pounds and three engines then got cancelled. It was basically the transformers version of star citizen.

big nipples big life posted:

I love that citizens legitimately think posting about star citizen being poo poo is a crime of some sort.

Beet Goblin posted:

These are the same people who created a fictional "grey market refund scheme" - wherein goons used the refund sub to convince people to try and get their money back but would swoop in at the last minute to buy them out for cheap, thereby building a huge shadow fleet to use on launch - out of whole cloth. Their brains are absolutely broken and the funniest part is that their delusion prevents them from even accepting the truth when they're told it by a 'known goon' or whatever on reddit.

It's actually kind of beautiful.

TheAgent posted:

its out to the test environment (the PTU) which isn't the same as the live server (the PU)

now you might ask yourself why they have a test environment and a live environment for a loving pre-alpha game and the answer is, of course

chris roberts

Scruffpuff posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1057704293959131136

1st prize should have gone to an uncarved rotten pumpkin, for most accurately representing the state of the project.

The development progress is ridiculous. (rant)
The fact that we are deep into Q4 of 2018 and still dont have 3.3. made me think. Here we are... Closing in on almost a year of development since 3.0... As of now all we have to show for are a couple of new ships and mining. Even when 3.3 goes live we won't really have anything exciting. (sure the performance improvements and buying ships in game are good but the ships will be to expensive anyway...). If a stable 3.3.5. Doesn't come this year i will be truly disappointed.

The progress on this game is so incredibly slow. When you have games like red dead redemption 2 which was developed for about 8 years, and is a fully polished game (it is one of biggest, most detailed games to date) , and you compare it to star citizen (7 years of development) which is nothing more than a tech demo. "but the scale of star citizen" yeah gently caress that... All the moons we have so far are barren loving wastelands with copy paste outposts. Even hurston out of the lorvile landing zone will be more dead than the Sahara. After 7 years there is so little to do in star citizen. Even the things we can do are broken most of the time, or dont work at all. The ai is still A LOT dumber than even ai from gmod or half life...(most of the time the pirate ships just stand there and dont even shoot back) The flight model feels like no clipping (basically there is no flight model), and it took 7 years to implement loving voice chat...

But sure... They have time to shove concept sales and 300€+ ships down our throats. Somehow they have time to create currently useless ships instead of creating idk... Actual working ai, or more mission givers or loving something to do. I cannot stress enough how barren the moons we have now are. How hard it is to create arround 50 different outpost models and settlement and randomly generate them. I bet its a lot easier than making the currently useless reclaimer was.

That being said i will continue to support this game because its probably our only chance to get a game like this (unless rockstar makes gta 6 in space). I myself haven't invested too much money into this game, but i cannot imagine how people with 1000€+ or even more feel. Its almost like cig is mocking us with these outrageous prices for an ingame item. And for all of you who say " uuh you don't buy the ship. You support the game" nah man you don't. How many hours do you think it will take to unlock let's say... The polaris. I loving bet that it will take well over 800hrs of pure loving grind to be able to afford it. And i also bet that the ship will still be available for purchase with real money, and won't be any cheaper than it was, when it was on sale. (does anyone have it? I honestly want to know how much it was.) so at the end you'll be forced to buy it.

Star Citizen needs to close that roadmap, stop creeping useless little features in, stop making things like THE F*CKING SEATS IN A SHIP or some random polygons on them their priority and, most importantly, it must give us an ACTUAL RELEASE DATE. I really want this game to be a thing and I am really excited to see what will come out of it, but even with their MASSIVE budget, it seems like development is starting to die out as a major part of this budget is wasted making dumb marketing and some more useless ships that suddenly make the TOP of their priority list. And those long-rear end scripted demos. As this project reveals itself, I can see more and more smoke coming from under the blanket.

Something that really pisses me off is people only worrying about ships and their pointless details...

MedicineHut posted:

"Chris has been watching videos of [ReadDeadRedemption2]..."

Beet Wagon posted:

The "they're building the game I've always wanted" thing is so funny to me because I guarantee he has said that at every incarnation of what SC was supposed to be.

On rails planetary landings that take you to a landing "zone" - the game I've always wanted

Procedural planets where you can land anywhere - the game I've always wanted

SoftNum posted:

If it's not the game I've always wanted why did I spend 1000s on it? Checkmate goonist.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 4, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

==CitizenCon 2018==
Click here for their official keynote/demo video (Warning: 1hour40mins)
Click ==> HERE <== for the more awesome and funnier Goons reacting to the keynote. (Warning: 2hours)(occasional audio desync: CIG's fault)

quote:

"this is just the begining of the possibilities"

Exactly what I want to hear in year 7

Taintrunner posted:

It's just so loving bizarre because it's their one event of the year that is All Star Citizen, Nothing Else, and they didn't even try to impress. At all. Like maybe if everything worked without a hitch, that would be progress, but everything was still catastrophically hosed. And they spent all this time on idiotic little loving details that didn't add to the gameplay at all. Like seriously? Waiting on loving trains? And they even cheated that towards the loving end! It's just loving mind boggling!

Renegret posted:

I can't watch because I'm at work.

Did they bring out the ball pit yet

Cuntpunch posted:

Crobbers just confirmed they are in PRE-ALPHA

Mr.Tophat posted:

"You may notice some wonky behaviour."

Some threads have been made about it, yes

Spatial posted:

Applauding putting down a cup. Game crash

Baxta posted:

haha "I think we're ready"

- stream dies.

Drunk Theory posted:

I can order whiskey or beer.

Cup clips onto table, then changes to an angle as it plays NPC pickup animation.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is horrifying. And hilarious.

The audience is laughing at them.

==Chris debuts Commuter Citizen with trains==

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is the most overengineered metro stop in the world.

Must be by Chris Roberts.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So many NPCs. Nobody boards.

hot balls man no homo posted:

I guess nobody else waiting for the train is going to... get on the train?

AbstractNapper posted:

"I love to wait for a train"
A Reddit user.

Pash posted:

Would you say that this demo is... On rails?

Inkel posted:

okay who had "20 minutes of riding the subway train" on their CitizenCon bingo sheet?

==Commando flies somewhere, tries to jump over a pit and dies==

Sarsapariller posted:

Spaceman fell, broke his legs, and died. Crowd loves it.

Moma's gonna buy TWO new jpegs

HycoCam posted:

Wow--death by missed jump. This game looks fun!

Sarsapariller posted:

heh console command "Goto relay" teleports spaceman right back to the forest wreck

thus proving that this mission is entirely procedurally generated, not a pre-scripted crymission at all

==Commando gets ambushed==

Viscous Soda posted:

<Enemy just stands there getting shot> Crowd cheers.

Nyast posted:

Omg. Can you believe it ? He got ambushed. This is so surprising.

Really, HE GOT ATTACKED. This is madness. WHO SAW THAT COMING ?

Virtual Captain posted:

I called it. All of this.

Chris has spent the last 6 years proving he doesn't have an ounce of creativity; they'll be doing the same demo mission every year into 2024.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

All of this for 4000 loving credits. Over an hour of work, loss of an entire starship, and of course needing a loving military-grade dropship to succeed.

Worth it.

==Commando visits ship buying store==

Taintrunner posted:

"WE'RE STILL WORKING ON THE ECONOMY"

jesus gently caress me christ

toiletbrush posted:

i'm the ship vibrating on the showroom floor

Nyast posted:

Hammerhead is 21 millions UEC.

This mission took 2 hours and paid 4000 UEC.

So to buy one hammerhead, you have to do 5250 missions of 2 hours each, or play more than 10500 hours.

Have fun, citizens !

Cuntpunch posted:

TWO WEEKS of non-stop 24/7 grinding to afford a...prospector.

==End of Demo==

Viscous Soda posted:

Dammit, didn't get a bingo again this year.

Taintrunner posted:

the last thing you see before you refund

Cringe Alert!

Bad News Baron just proposed on stage

monkeytek posted:

Just had an honest to god proposal, kill me.

Greenplastic posted:

You may now PAAAAARP the bride

Dementropy posted:

Quite a few empty seats.

ZekeNY posted:

Brilliant! A huge multi-person ship with lots of smaller ships docking and undocking all the time? It's like the entire power set of "things that CIG can't implement"

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://youtu.be/8iOpkNtocQs

SquidOfLove, a former shill just keeps on firing shots, it’s amazing.
Oh and FailureToReport, great stream again

G0RF posted:

This is how much Bishop has aged waiting for his game to come out.

Sarsapariller posted:

I really hope someone is capturing these interim streams. They're interviewing the live action cosplayers and it is just a loving full trainwreck.

"We have a flashlight that's also a screwdriver. Some people are telling us this is the best thing they've gotten here."

"This flashlight may be the only thing that can save you... in the universe."

Tokamak posted:

"What is release?"

lol

Kosumo posted:

#imwastedwithchris

I love how they had to rope off the upper deck at Citcon and try to cram everyone down on the mezzanine level. That's where those 600 tickets mysteriously disappeared to.

==2 new jpegs for citizens to buy==
One is a pirate themed carrier, you have to register your interest and a jpeg salesperson will contact you by phone/e-mail or something:

Daztek posted:

Internal Tram

:allears:

trucutru posted:

Radars: TBD
Computers: TBD
Power Plants: TBD
Coolers: TBD
Shield Generators: TBD
Fuel Intakes: TBD
Fuel Tanks: TBD
Quantum Jump Modules: TBD
Quantum Fuel Tanks: TBD
Main Thrusters: TBD
Maneuvering Thrusters: TBD
Weapons: TBD
Turrets: TBD
Utility Items: TBD
TBC Countermeasures TBD (TBD)

So, as you can see, it's a very capable ship.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 13, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What, I can't buy my own train to avoid waiting 5m? C'mon, CIG, your game's slipping.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I love riding team in spaceship game

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Nov Set 1

AlmightyPants posted:

I teach robotics classes to kids, where they build robots out of LEGO and use a basic drag and drop programming thing to get their robots to do things. It's pretty cool and fun. One of my favorite things is when the kids decide they're going to have their robots race or battle. Sometimes they spend a whole class customizing their robots for these events.

How does this tie into Store Citizen?

My absolute favorite part is what happens when the kids actually have their robots next to each other and are about to start. This is when they begin to legislate. Since they all put all this time and effort into their robot, they obviously want it to be the best. So they come up with these incredibly elaborate rules, often disagreeing and regularly taking a comically long time to do so. They envision grand battles with their cool weapons and epic races.

What ends up happening is two LEGO cars slowly bump into each other while they scream. Then both sides declare victory or demand that the rules be changed.

Right now, SC appears to be somewhere in that first phase, where everyone imagines these cool scenarios and fun times to be had. However, unlike my students, they also have a clear indication as to where it's going, as the actual game is pretty much the same as a pair of LEGO cars slowly bumping into each other. Only when JPEGs bump into things the entire game crashes and you have to sit at a loving loading screen for 10 minutes.

Citizens are functioning at roughly the same level as 2nd graders.

quote:

I'm not an independently wealthy software engineering prodigy, brain surgeon and international jet setting sex expert like the typical Star Citizen backer

Beet Wagon posted:

CIG: *repeatedly demonstrates that the only thing they know how to make is spaceship models*

citizens: haha gently caress you, they're making spaceship models faster than ever before!

biglads posted:

So (cro)bear with me as I've decided to theorycraft a little about Store Citizer and the type of emergent gameplay that will get me spending $$$ (well, $) to become a part of the Citizenry.

I don't want a spaceship. Seems they are the root of a lot of arguments and frankly I'm not going to involve myself in arguments with The Best drat Game Community Out There (#BDGCOT).
My character, let us call him Commando Spawn Tax, will lurk in the shadows outside the wankpods with lust hilarity on his mind. He would be armed with a shotgun and a whole load of explosives and would proceed to tax spawning commandos as they evacuate their wankpods and head to wherever citizens go to.

BLAM-BLAM-BLAM "Insufficient fidelity on your codpiece, commando. Thank you for paying the spawn tax"
BOOOOOOM "I heard you disrespected our Lord and Saviour, Christ Robearts on Discord, commando. You have been duly spawn taxed"

Could any browsing citizens let me know if this type of gameplay will be available?

Lord Stimperor posted:

IMO digital train set is a slightly better analogy than digital doll house. When children play with dolls and doll houses, they play different social scenarios. Train sets are about faithfully replicating mechanical devices and watching them do stuff. SC and its users have absolutely no understanding about anything social and care only that all the buttons glow in the right colors.

The Titanic posted:

I think the best news to come out of this whole female characters thing is that we now know that for every height of character, male and female, Chris gets to get more motion capture work in.

This is pretty much the gift that keeps on giving, and there is infinite motion capture ahead of us.

I mean, you can't expect the inevitable Peter Dinklage character to use the same motion capture as another sized character.

Back to the Imaginarium guys... we've got 600 hours of sweeping animations to take care of again!

quote:

:trustme: Yeah ok yeah like that. That's right, pick up the box...

:bigtran: *picks up box* Got it!

:trustme: wait wait what the gently caress are you doing?

:bigtran: Getting the box..?

:trustme: No... n... no. Put it down. This time pick it up, except your breasts get in the way.

:bigtran: What?

:trustme: You need to pick it up like a female.

:bigtran: I am a female...

:trustme: Yeah but do it again except your breasts get in the way.

:bigtran: They don't get in the way.

:trustme: Yeah. Alright. Looks like we're going to need to do this topless then like a real motion capture studio.

:trustme: Ok great. Now do it again except get the guy who's 5 foot 7 inches in here now. Come on. Get this 5-8 guy out of here! Get off my loving stage 5-8! gently caress god drat I hate working with amateurs. Alright 5-7 you saw what you have to do. Ready... action!

:trustme: Yeah ok look. You're new here, so I'm going to tell you this once. On page 568 of my masterpiece script, yeah that one I dropped on the floor and had another bitch like you pick up, I have a guy who breaks his nail while sharpening his knife after he learned his family was killed on the attack on their colony ships so that's why I need loving fingernail bones in these skeleton animation meshes. If we don't have 75,002 bones in each character how can we show the drama of my ideas? We can't motherfucker! That's your answer. Now hurry the gently caress up and redo these 65,977,012 animations this loving weekend with my new loving bones. *walks away* God drat I hate high schoolers. Think they own the loving world and can't listen to their betters.

:trustme: If somebody talks about Skyrim one more time I'm going to fire them. I already told you Skyrim can fit in a single loving crater of one of my planet balls! Skyrim is nothing compared to that!

Scruffpuff posted:

I can picture this so clearly it's like I'm sitting there watching him do it.

==CIG got rid of all their volunteer mods and doing all moderation in-house now==

Blue On Blue posted:

I watched bikeman stream sc last night with with some other popular streamers

When I tuned in he was running to catch the train his friends were waiting on

He made it just in time , but the train wasn't there. His friends urged him to board the invisible train, which he did and promptly fell through onto the tracks, watched the boarding platform doors close, and tried to run out the track tunnel only to meet an invisible wall

One return to the menu, crash, reload later he was scrolling through his substantial list of ships at port Olisar

Someone in chat asks "does he own all those ships??" The reply "not all of them"

A little perplexed by that I keep watching, and notice the chat of 2 thousand odd souls is being carefully tempered by a few people trying to shout down any criticism , and of course I see Zyloh now and again chiming in

After he finds his ship and boards it he sets off into hyperwarp or whatever for the planet all his buddies are at

I watch for 12 straight minutes, yes it takes 12 minutes to warp from one place to the next. 12 real time minutes of your life

He comes out of warp and almost slams into a ship parked in the "no parking" area outside the planet

Truth be told I closed the stream after that because I simply couldn't listen to the rhetoric being spewed anymore

I normally like bikeman he is entertaining but it was painfully obvious he had been given a large payday to play SC and make it sound glorious

At one point there was mention of unpaid QA testers (the backers) and bikeman said times are changing. What used to be paid work is now done for free, the chat didnt like that ans called him out saying there are plenty of paid QA jobs still around

And then Zyloh said they actually have 70 in house full time QA people at CIG .... just loving lol

If there is ONE thing I have learned during 10 years of gaming, it's avoid Frontier games like the PLAGUE

• unfinished
• buggy
• microtransaction nightmare
• broken promises
• toxic communities, professional whiteknighting/astroturfing

To whoever is driving people over at the Lorville Gates
Screw you, seriously. It takes a long time to get to Hurston and then having some douchebag drive over you because they think it's funny to waste other peoples time is horrible.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

quote:

To whoever is driving people over at the Lorville Gates
Screw you, seriously. It takes a long time to get to Hurston and then having some douchebag drive over you because they think it's funny to waste other peoples time is horrible.
My god I hope this is a goon

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Oh my god, I didn't realize that "spreading FUD" is actually a rule on their forums lmaooo

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BurtLington posted:

Oh my god, I didn't realize that "spreading FUD" is actually a rule on their forums lmaooo

Spreading FUD about this tire fire from hell would be the equivalent of prancing through a meadow with a basket full of flowers and casting them into the wind.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That citicon stream is loving amazing, crob just can't manage to hide his annoyance at how poo poo the game is. Stuff he wants to show off doesn't spawn and he keeps bringing it up, and so on. Will crobs get banned for spreading fud?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It's me, I often cite the fact that I've done something in my spare time and am thus authoritative

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

I'm not an independently wealthy software engineering prodigy, brain surgeon and international jet setting sex expert like the typical Star Citizen backer.
As an expert in jet setting sex, I would advise you idle near the Loreville Gates for a good time :q:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

can't remember where i found this.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The Inevitable Consequences of Cuckoldry: Forced Financial Austerity

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The Inevitable Consequences of Cuckoldry: Forced Financial Austerity

I like that both the wife and the wife's boyfriend had to take his credit card away. This implies at least two separate incidents. The boy ain't bright.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm expecting some Capital Rewards Robert's edition that gives you 4% back on dreams and jpegs commercial.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Addamere posted:

I like that both the wife and the wife's boyfriend had to take his credit card away. This implies at least two separate incidents. The boy ain't bright.

At least he's got someone to look out for him, but does it have to be the guy who's loving his wife??

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

At least he's got someone to look out for him, but does it have to be the guy who's loving his wife??

It is a NPC.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm not shaming cuckolds or anything (though thinking about it, isn't shame the whole appeal? I dunno), I guess not disrespecting is the better word- the funniest part of this is that in his marital situation, there is not one but two people more sane and rational than him.

e:

Colostomy Bag posted:

It is a NPC.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I'm not shaming cuckolds or anything (though thinking about it, isn't shame the whole appeal? I dunno), I guess not disrespecting is the better word- the funniest part of this is that in his marital situation, there is not one but two people more sane and rational than him.

e:

:vince:

Yeah. It is called cumsumbtion.