Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Beasts of Chaos struck me as a more interestingly ragtag alliance of creatures and monsters that basically have nowhere else to go, with Dragon Ogres not really fitting in and seeming like Chaos hasn't even actually affected them much, but Chaos is the only force that'll give them the time of day.

Ya they basically say its a strong Alpha beast that holds a herd together while drawing powerful monsters to his might. The Dragon ogres made a deal with the chaos gods long ago for ageless bodies in exchange for service, the only thing their body does is grow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I wish I had a better camera/photo setup because I really like how these Orks are turning out but I'm loosing a lot of detail in these pics.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Beasts of Chaos struck me as a more interestingly ragtag alliance of creatures and monsters that basically have nowhere else to go, with Dragon Ogres not really fitting in and seeming like Chaos hasn't even actually affected them much, but Chaos is the only force that'll give them the time of day.

Well in the Dragon Ogre's case, they don't want to give Chaos the time of day. But they said they would help Chaos out, so they kind of put in the bare minimum effort in helping chaos out.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Chance II posted:

I wish I had a better camera/photo setup because I really like how these Orks are turning out but I'm loosing a lot of detail in these pics.

That armor looks extremely rad. If I ever do this army I might just steal the scheme

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Chance II posted:

They look good. Just get a backdrop and you'll be all set. Even a sheet or a piece of posterboard will work.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I’m having a real hard time wrapping my head around the game. There is just so much poo poo to remember, like the mount traits, the artifacts, the spells. I am probably just getting old but it’s getting exhausting and I keep playing skirmish games instead because they are less overwhelming.

Does anyone have advice for a newer player besides get good or whatever.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

beergod posted:

I’m having a real hard time wrapping my head around the game. There is just so much poo poo to remember, like the mount traits, the artifacts, the spells. I am probably just getting old but it’s getting exhausting and I keep playing skirmish games instead because they are less overwhelming.

As some one who doesn't really play, but has similar problems with anything with more than a paragraph of rules whenever I started something like WFB/40k back in the day or X-Wing etc... I just focused on the main mechanics of moving, shooting, fighting each until they were in memory and then drip-fed other rules in.

I'm in a similar boat with Blood Bowl, of which I've taken one look at the rules last night, before our first game tomorrow and thought gently caress it, i'll concentrate on moving, passing and blocking then look at the other stuff in the next games etc..

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

richyp posted:

As some one who doesn't really play, but has similar problems with anything with more than a paragraph of rules whenever I started something like WFB/40k back in the day or X-Wing etc... I just focused on the main mechanics of moving, shooting, fighting each until they were in memory and then drip-fed other rules in.

I'm in a similar boat with Blood Bowl, of which I've taken one look at the rules last night, before our first game tomorrow and thought gently caress it, i'll concentrate on moving, passing and blocking then look at the other stuff in the next games etc..

Cool thing about bb is the 1 to 1 pc version. It’s how I learned. Thanks for the advice.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

richyp posted:

All you need is Block, Dodge, and a healthy distrust of passing and you are ready to go.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

All you need is Block, Dodge, and a healthy distrust of passing and you are ready to go.

Don't listen to this pig, pass as often as you can, preferably with an enemy model between thrower and catcher. What are the odd's they'll intercept? It's like a million to one, you should go nuts.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

beergod posted:

Get a bunch of tokens if you can - print some off or buy some - to remember effects. It also helps to get something like Battlescribe that can condense all of the effects and rules down for you. I recall Battlescribe's AoS module deleting rules and statlines for weapons you're not using, which is very helpful for units with lots of weapon options.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cainer posted:

Don't listen to this pig, pass as often as you can, preferably with an enemy model between thrower and catcher. What are the odd's they'll intercept? It's like a million to one, you should go nuts.

Nothing harvests a bigger crop of MAD than having an Orc team pull an unlikely passing play as their black orcs tear through your team.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Alternatively, play Elves. Pass early, pass often.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/l2Po3QMEtZd19wr/status/1051401249050918916

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Battle Report!

I recently played a cool guy in 40k, my Crimson Fists vs. his Death Guard, and managed a solid win. This time, we played AOS with him using Nurgle. I brought my Khorne army. I figured I would have a decent idea of what he would bring since he shares some models between his 40k and AOS Nurgle armies.

Battleplan: Scored Earth (6 objectives, 3 in each deployment zone, can capture for 1 VP each turn or burn enemy OBJ for D3 points)
Realm: Metal

My List (1250):
Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (Warlord, Slaughterborn command trait - reroll all misses)
Bloodmaster Herald with Crimson Crown (units within 6" generate an extra attack on hit rolls of 6)
Bloodsecretor
30 x Bloodletters
10 x Bloodreavers
10 x Bloodreavers
5 x Garek's Reavers
5 x Flesh Hounds
Skullcannon

His List (1260):
Great Unclean One (Warlord, had the regain wounds on 4+ trait)
Nurgle Herald
Slopitty Bilepiper
Scrivner
5 x Blight Lords
10 x Plaguebearers
10 x Plaguebearers
3 x Plague Drones
3 x Nurglings
Gnarlmaw Tree (free)

I forgot my unit of Garek’s Reavers, and took an extra command point to make up for it. This left me effectively 70 points short, not sure if it would have mattered, but that unit would have been more useful than the command point since I rarely spent all of mine each turn. We deployed fairly evenly across the board, but he was able to hold his Great Unclean One back and put him on the opposite flank from my Bloodthirster.

Turn 1: I won the roll and made him go first. He advanced up, faster than I expected, capturing two of his own objectives, although he accidentally moved Sloppity off the 3rd objective and did not score it. He managed to get off a charge with his nurglings against my Skullcannon, which was holding my left flank and an objective. This was a bit of an early disaster for me as it meant my Cannon was not able to shoot his important targets, and he was able to take that objective and burn it on turn 2. His Great Unclean One also charged into a unit of Bloodreavers, but didn’t do much damage. My Fleshhounds were helpful in unbinding his spells, thanks to the reroll granted by the nearby demon heroes. On my turn, I move up the big unit of Bloodletters and charged his main line, including his Great Unclean One, a unit of Plaguebearers, and the Blight Kings. I managed to cause some damage, but nothing decisive. My Bloodthirster flew over but failed to charge his Great Unclean One.

Turn 2-3: I deployed the Portal of Skulls from the Bloodsecretor, giving me extra attacks, further degrading his spellcasting, and making me immune to Battleshock. The main line grinded in the center, with the Bloodletters slowly being destroyed but sticking around thanks to the Bloodsecretor, causing slow but steady damage to his units. My Bloodthirster made it into combat with his Great Unclean One, but it kept surviving thanks to his save, Disgusting Resilience type save, and trait that let him regenerate damage taken in the round. Meanwhile, my Bloodthirster was worn down each turn. He managed to overrun my right flank objective and burn it as well. I also struggled because we were causing lots of damage to each other, but most units weren’t dying very fast, so I wasn’t generating much Blood Tithe for summons, while he was gaining Contagion Points steadily each turn, allowing him to start bringing in more Nurglings and Plaguebearers early on. I managed to block some of his spells, but couldn’t stop everything, so my Bloodthirster took some devastating mortal wounds. My Flesh Hounds managed to run to his backfield to burn his center objective and engaged his Herald in combat, but were wiped out after a couple turns.

Turn 4: I made one last attempt to kill his Great Unclean One with my nearly dead Bloodthirster and the Skullcannon. I got it down to 1 wound, but the GUO killed the cannon, and his Herald killed the Bloodthirster with an arcane bolt. The last of my troops were wiped out in the center, at the cost of 1 unit of Plaguebearers, his Plague Drones, and some damage to other units. At this point I knew I was doomed as I was down to my Bloodmaster Herald and the Bloodsecretor.

Turn 5: I had enough Blood Tithe at this point to bring in a new Bloodthirster, and barely managed to get my Bloodsecretor to flee combat and get enough space to bring it in. It promptly failed to charge his GUO, even with a reroll from a command point. He ended up nearly tabling me and totally dominated on VPs.

Overall a fun game. The ability of his GUO to regenerate wounds and heal as well made it almost impossible to kill. If I had managed to get off the turn 1 charge with my Bloodthirster against it, I might have been able to kill it after a couple turns, and then unleash the Bloodthirster on the rest of his army. Bad luck that I failed two charges with that Bloodthirster, even with rerolls. I could have done a better job of protecting my flank objectives, and I never guessed he would be able to get off those early charges. As weird as it might have felt, I probably would have been better holding back further in my deployment zone for a better all out attack on turn 2. Instead, he was able to effectively neutralize my Skullcannon and take both flank objectives, and my big attack in the center didn’t cause enough damage to kill any of his units. Next time I will try to focus against a smaller number of enemy units, ideally against a flank so he has more slow Nurgle units out of position.
Would love to hear any tips against Nurgle in AOS, especially for Khorne!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I will say too, if you’re looking to get started in the game, the last two years they’ve released 4 holiday bundles the first or second week of December. No reason to suspect it won’t happen again this year. They run about $170 but bundle about $275- 325 worth of stuff. Stormcast will definitely be one of the bundles along with at least one of the new elf factions.

I’d suggest maybe dropping $40 for the two player box to get a taste of play and wait to see how the bundles shake out, rumors will probably start up in 2-3 weeks.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

When a 3 year old paints better than you.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Color Run 5k of Sigmar

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Pure curiosity here, is Chaos Dwarves a real faction, or a thing where people won't want to play you because it is Forgeworld?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mugaaz posted:

Pure curiosity here, is Chaos Dwarves a real faction, or a thing where people won't want to play you because it is Forgeworld?

I mean, you just get them from the ebay guy who has proper, old-school chaos dwarves, right?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Mugaaz posted:

I've never seen them in the world but the idea of refusing to play against the evil Babylonian dwarves with cannon trains because they're not "official enough" or whatever seems daft.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

The Deleter posted:

I've never seen them in the world but the idea of refusing to play against the evil Babylonian dwarves with cannon trains because they're not "official enough" or whatever seems daft.

We're talking about wargamers here, so even a bar that low can be a hurdle.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I really love the traditional 'knight' aesthetic. I'm not convinced GW will ever revisit it, as it's not really trademarkable enough.

Is there any faction that scratches that itch? Stormcasts don't count because their masks are silly

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Clawtopsy posted:

I really love the traditional 'knight' aesthetic. I'm not convinced GW will ever revisit it, as it's not really trademarkable enough.

Is there any faction that scratches that itch? Stormcasts don't count because their masks are silly

Buy brettonian heads for like $10 a pop and do swaps, it’s surprising how much difference a headswap makes

E:don’t actually buy brettonian heads for that much, there are cheaper options around if you hunt for them. Although be careful with 28mm historicals because then you’ll have a bunch of pinheads due to GW scalecreep

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 18, 2018

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mugaaz posted:

Oh man, remember Blue Table Painting?

As far as I know they are still legit. Though I guess it really depends on your area.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When is Wrath and Rapture coming out? They put up the teaser video two months ago and haven't said anything since, with the exception of the Fiend leak

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I see FW has decided to completely break AoS now:

Rules: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Downloads//Vorgaroth_and_Skalok_Warscroll.pdf

I mean yeah it's 1,200 pts but it has a multi-unit battleshock immunity aura, can heal, has 30W on a 3+ and can dish out a maximum of 120 wounds a turn all at least rend -1. It solos Nagash without breaking a sweat for only 400pts more.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

TKIY posted:

I see FW has decided to completely break AoS now:

Rules: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Downloads//Vorgaroth_and_Skalok_Warscroll.pdf

I mean yeah it's 1,200 pts but it has a multi-unit battleshock immunity aura, can heal, has 30W on a 3+ and can dish out a maximum of 120 wounds a turn all at least rend -1. It solos Nagash without breaking a sweat for only 400pts more.

So this is probably why people wuldn't play against Forgeworld stuff. I don't know if Chaos Dwarves are busted in any way, and I'm aware a similar situation is going on with 40K in that the balance of Forgeworld models is pretty awful.

That said , this sucks. At least the model looks loving stupid.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I will mathhammer him in later this morning.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

He’s scary as hell but without any mortal wound protection or spell protection other than the -3 to cast (a LoN army can compensate for that) there’s plenty of ways for armies to try to deal with him. 1200 points seems appropriately costed.

That said you’d have to be a huge jerk to bring him to a casual game

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

The Deleter posted:

So this is probably why people wuldn't play against Forgeworld stuff. I don't know if Chaos Dwarves are busted in any way, and I'm aware a similar situation is going on with 40K in that the balance of Forgeworld models is pretty awful.

That said , this sucks. At least the model looks loving stupid.

Just flipping through the FW sheets nothing even comes close to that. Someone just decided to break that unit open.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
That's kind of a relief but also what on earth :psyduck:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Danimo posted:

He’s scary as hell but without any mortal wound protection or spell protection other than the -3 to cast (a LoN army can compensate for that) there’s plenty of ways for armies to try to deal with him. 1200 points seems appropriately costed.

That said you’d have to be a huge jerk to bring him to a casual game

30 wounds and healing sounds like a decent amount of mortal wound proctection to me, especially in a 6 turn game

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

30 wounds and healing sounds like a decent amount of mortal wound proctection to me, especially in a 6 turn game

30 wounds isn’t much for that many points and you can easily do 30-35 in a turn or two, the bigger issue is positioning and deploying such that you can get the damage in at all before he barfs wounds all over it.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
You could park Morathi on him and let Iron Heart waste 1,200 points. Either that or bring a half dozen 100pt units to tie him up one at a time.

That's all I can think of.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I think this reminds me of this weird thing that annoys me about the model ranges of AoS, in which it's always assumed you have or want a big old centerpiece model to fill out your army and look cool, even if the model they offer for the centrepiece is loving dumb-looking or doesn't offer anything interesting to your army. Like, that Forgeworld model cannibalises your own forces to keep going, which would be interesting if it wasn't tied to an enormous bag of wounds and attacks that mean you never really have to make that choice. I have never wanted any of the Stormcast dragon models, and stuff like Morathi doesn't interest me. It's fine when it's a fairly small model like the Black Coach, or if your entire force is large models like Kharadron fleets, but poo poo like the Maw Krusha feels dumb in a way that those don't.

Of course "large models" is way way down on my list of complaints about the game.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 19, 2018

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
On a side note I have massive AoS Death Army I want to unload. Doesn't really make sense to SA-Mart it since the only people that might be interested in it read this thread.

Looking for $600 CAD + Shipping, retail is over $1,400 so it's like 60% off retail:

Legions of Nagash Rulebook and Warscroll Cards/Tokens
Nagash - New in box
2 Mortarchs - One partly assembled, one new on sprue
40 Grave Guard - 10 assembled with great weapons, 10 assembled without arms, 10 new on sprue, 10 new in box
Terrorgheist - Primed
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon - Primed
2 Mortis Engine/Coven Thrones - 1 new in box, 1 partly assembled
80 Zombies - Mantic models, some assembled, most new on sprue
70 Skeletons - 40 new in box, 10 assembled with spears, about 20 more in bits (this is approximate, so +/- 5 or so)
10 Ghouls - New in box
6 Spirit Hosts - 3 painted (purple), 3 assembled including a scenic conversion
6 Old Metal Spirit Hosts - New in blister
4 Morghasts - 2 assembled with halberds, 1 with dual swords, 1 partly assembled
5 Dire Wolves - Assembled
3 Crypt Horrors - Converted with DE masks and Dragon Ogre weapons, primed
6 Varghiests - Primed
5 Black Knights - Primed
5 Black Knights/Hexwraiths - New in box
4 Fell Bats - Metal, primed
Many assorted characters including 2 Wight Kings, old metal BSB, Winged Vampire, plastic necro assembled, necro new in blister, Krell, etc...
15 Dragon Blades - For Blood Knight conversions, new in box
Citadel Skulls box

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TKIY posted:

On a side note I have massive AoS Death Army I want to unload. Doesn't really make sense to SA-Mart it since the only people that might be interested in it read this thread.

Looking for $600 CAD + Shipping, retail is over $1,400 so it's like 60% off retail:

Legions of Nagash Rulebook and Warscroll Cards/Tokens
Nagash - New in box
2 Mortarchs - One partly assembled, one new on sprue
40 Grave Guard - 10 assembled with great weapons, 10 assembled without arms, 10 new on sprue, 10 new in box
Terrorgheist - Primed
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon - Primed
2 Mortis Engine/Coven Thrones - 1 new in box, 1 partly assembled
80 Zombies - Mantic models, some assembled, most new on sprue
70 Skeletons - 40 new in box, 10 assembled with spears, about 20 more in bits (this is approximate, so +/- 5 or so)
10 Ghouls - New in box
6 Spirit Hosts - 3 painted (purple), 3 assembled including a scenic conversion
6 Old Metal Spirit Hosts - New in blister
4 Morghasts - 2 assembled with halberds, 1 with dual swords, 1 partly assembled
5 Dire Wolves - Assembled
3 Crypt Horrors - Converted with DE masks and Dragon Ogre weapons, primed
6 Varghiests - Primed
5 Black Knights - Primed
5 Black Knights/Hexwraiths - New in box
4 Fell Bats - Metal, primed
Many assorted characters including 2 Wight Kings, old metal BSB, Winged Vampire, plastic necro assembled, necro new in blister, Krell, etc...
15 Dragon Blades - For Blood Knight conversions, new in box
Citadel Skulls box

I am tempted.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am tempted.

My wife's income just got cut in half so I'm motivated lol.

Shipping from Canada is expensive though, I'll be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TKIY posted:

My wife's income just got cut in half so I'm motivated lol.

Shipping from Canada is expensive though, I'll be honest.

I am canadian, that is part of the reason I am tempted.