Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

You should only get a bounty if someone sees you, so there might have been someone you missed (maybe a civilian/slave?) or it bugged out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Lategame-ish spoilers I think: goddammit I've been banging everything so far as Kassandra and slept with a cultist :negative: I probably caught some sort of old timey STD

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Lategame-ish spoilers I think: goddammit I've been banging everything so far as Kassandra and slept with a cultist :negative: I probably caught some sort of old timey STD

You sleep with a prostitute, participate in an orgy with Alkibiades, and gently caress a priestess of aphrodite. Kassandra has every STI under the sun guaranteed

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

You sleep with a prostitute, participate in an orgy with Alkibiades, and gently caress a priestess of aphrodite. Kassandra has every STI under the sun guaranteed

Yup good thing they didn't really have any concept of contagion

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Well they didn't really have any concept of penicillin either, so I'm anxiously awaiting early onset dementia.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Rabid Snake posted:

I finally hooked up my PC to my TV and man, 4K + HDR is amazing with this game. The blue (or red) colors on your armor really pops off in HDR. And the fire mastery skill is awesome to use at night.

This sounds more like you have your TV set to "extrene saturation/orange people" in HDR mode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

WTF was the deal with that scholar on Lesbos? I gathered all the ingredients she needed for that anti-petrification potion and then she just straight up tried to murder me. Felt like I missed an entire scene or something there, and anyway it didn't end very well for her.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, there are a few weird story beats that don't quite work out.

I stumbled across Elpinor in the Snake Canyon cave before I got the mission to go kill him. So I stumbled across him and he was trying to kill me and I didn't get it, because at that point we were still on good terms. Why was he attacking me? It was only a few hours later that I got the quest where the other guy explained Elpinor was a baddie that needed to be killed, but things being out of order totally messed with the flow of the story.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I could use a bit of build advice. I'm pretty early on (I just broke into the oracle of delphi's house and yelled at her), and I'm finding combat really frustrating. Even if I'm the appropriate level for an area, every single enemy has a huge pool of HP and hits like a truck, and even though I have the assassin skills that increase assassination moves and the critical strike thingie, it's a coin flip whether assassinations do enough damage to kill someone. (They usually don't, then the entire compound dogpiles me.)

This makes me think that I should be respeccing all of my assassin points into warrior, but every single compound has a million zillion dudes capable of killing me in a few hits, and nothing about the warrior line seems like it would make flailing around in crowds a good idea.

So is there a happy middle ground? I would love to be a stealthy jerk who spends the whole game ganking people and dragging their bodies out of sight, but that hasn't been remotely feasible thus far.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, there are a few weird story beats that don't quite work out.

I stumbled across Elpinor in the Snake Canyon cave before I got the mission to go kill him. So I stumbled across him and he was trying to kill me and I didn't get it, because at that point we were still on good terms. Why was he attacking me? It was only a few hours later that I got the quest where the other guy explained Elpinor was a baddie that needed to be killed, but things being out of order totally messed with the flow of the story.

What other guy? In my game I accidentally told Elpinor to go gently caress himself after I killed Nikolaos for him (because the dialogue choices were ambiguous and not well connected to what Kassandra actually said). He sicked some goons on me and ran away to the valley of snakes.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

I could use a bit of build advice. I'm pretty early on (I just broke into the oracle of delphi's house and yelled at her), and I'm finding combat really frustrating. Even if I'm the appropriate level for an area, every single enemy has a huge pool of HP and hits like a truck, and even though I have the assassin skills that increase assassination moves and the critical strike thingie, it's a coin flip whether assassinations do enough damage to kill someone. (They usually don't, then the entire compound dogpiles me.)

This makes me think that I should be respeccing all of my assassin points into warrior, but every single compound has a million zillion dudes capable of killing me in a few hits, and nothing about the warrior line seems like it would make flailing around in crowds a good idea.

So is there a happy middle ground? I would love to be a stealthy jerk who spends the whole game ganking people and dragging their bodies out of sight, but that hasn't been remotely feasible thus far.

The heal ability in the warrior tree is pretty essential for going toe to toe with more than one enemy. You really should be able to assassinate people in one hit though, aside from mercs or some captains. Do you have plenty of +assassinate damage on your gear?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

bike tory posted:

What other guy? In my game I accidentally told Elpinor to go gently caress himself after I killed Nikolaos for him (because the dialogue choices were ambiguous and not well connected to what Kassandra actually said). He sicked some goons on me and ran away to the valley of snakes.

I think it was Herodotus. I let Nokilaus go, but told Elpinor he was dead. Then Elpinor headed off for Delphi, where I met him once more and he was all "Go to go take care of some stuff, see you later.", so we were still on good terms at this point. After that is when I stumbled on him in the cave, killed him after he attacked me, and then faffed off doing whatever for a few hours. Then I talked to Herodotus who was all "No, Elpinor is bad dude, go kill him.", and then Kassandra did the "already taken care of" bit. Everything was out of order with that part of the main quest.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

bike tory posted:

The heal ability in the warrior tree is pretty essential for going toe to toe with more than one enemy. You really should be able to assassinate people in one hit though, aside from mercs or some captains. Do you have plenty of +assassinate damage on your gear?

Yeah, that heal is awesome. I've been speccing the kick too, not for pure damage so much as because luring enemies to cliff edges and knocking them off is hilarious.

Assassinations are close for cruddy mooks: if I stab one of the white shield enemies, it typically drains 75-80% of his health, but even with critical strikes captains and other priority targets tend to take 50% damage or less. My gear's all level-appropriate, and balanced about 75/25% +assassination/warrior damage.

Your weapon type doesn't make a difference in assassination damage, does it? I've been using staffs, because I like the moveset, but it just occurred to me that the game might be expecting me to assassinate with daggers/swords?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, that heal is awesome. I've been speccing the kick too, not for pure damage so much as because luring enemies to cliff edges and knocking them off is hilarious.

Assassinations are close for cruddy mooks: if I stab one of the white shield enemies, it typically drains 75-80% of his health, but even with critical strikes captains and other priority targets tend to take 50% damage or less. My gear's all level-appropriate, and balanced about 75/25% +assassination/warrior damage.

Your weapon type doesn't make a difference in assassination damage, does it? I've been using staffs, because I like the moveset, but it just occurred to me that the game might be expecting me to assassinate with daggers/swords?

What difficulty are you playing on?

BobMorane
Oct 25, 2010
A quick question about The Kick, as the tool tip doesn't mention it : do upgrades just increase the damage output or do they also allow to kick mooks harder/farther ?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

What difficulty are you playing on?

Normal... if properly geared assassination is viable, I'll see about min/maxing my gear to buff assassination damage; maybe that'll do the trick.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Make sure you got the passive that grants bonus assassination damage. The stealth passive also boosts assassination damage at night once you get it to level 3.
(at the moment I can usually-but-not-always one-shot polemarchs with a critical assassinate)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If you have a bow or staff or whatever with +assassin damage, does that mean you get a bonus for shanking a dude as long as the bow is equipped at the time?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

If you have a bow or staff or whatever with +assassin damage, does that mean you get a bonus for shanking a dude as long as the bow is equipped at the time?

Yeah of course because it's not like you can assassinate with a bow~

The real question is whether you get the bonuses from the second melee weapon while it's not equipped

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

In my mind this game and Divinity Original Sins could have a baby. And the baby would be a 3D realtime version of Divinity Original Sins, where you could kill people by dropping a crate filled with spiders in their room while they are sleeping. Or starting a fire that would spread and burn the entire castle.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Apparently someone you can screw can show up again as an enemy Cultist? Is that true?

VVV: I must have missed it because I beat all three arcs and don't remember it happening.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 18, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Apparently someone you can screw can show up again as an enemy Cultist? Is that true?

Not only that but choosing to screw them can rather hilariously give away their identity.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

bike tory posted:

The real question is whether you get the bonuses from the second melee weapon while it's not equipped

That seems to be the case in my experience.

If you're having trouble with assassinations, the critical assassinations are important. Unless you're speccing entirely for assassination damage, it's really only the basic looks that die in one. The critical is needed for the heavies and captains.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

BobMorane posted:

A quick question about The Kick, as the tool tip doesn't mention it : do upgrades just increase the damage output or do they also allow to kick mooks harder/farther ?

This is strictly anecdotal and not based on any tests, but I feel like the range and force with which you're punting people definitely increases. I went from guys taking a leap backwards when I kicked them to flying backwards like they'd been punched by Superman. Plus at level 3 you get a shockwave effect that stumbles all the enemies around you.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Kicking people off of a high area is the most satisfying way to defeat enemies in the game for me.

BobMorane
Oct 25, 2010

Solomonic posted:

This is strictly anecdotal and not based on any tests, but I feel like the range and force with which you're punting people definitely increases. I went from guys taking a leap backwards when I kicked them to flying backwards like they'd been punched by Superman. Plus at level 3 you get a shockwave effect that stumbles all the enemies around you.

OK, thanks. Respec costing next to nothing, I'll experiment a bit.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

bobjr posted:

Kicking people off of a high area is the most satisfying way to defeat enemies in the game for me.

I'd argue it's the most satisfying way to defeat enemies in ANY game.

"Balcony Deaths" are the Hollywood name for them, I believe. When a goon is thrown from a balcony and could technically still be in the fight, but out of sight, out of mind.

See also any game with ring-outs and the Warriors game where you could chuck people off of rooftops/out of windows.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Deformed Church posted:

That seems to be the case in my experience.

If you're having trouble with assassinations, the critical assassinations are important. Unless you're speccing entirely for assassination damage, it's really only the basic looks that die in one. The critical is needed for the heavies and captains.

And even if you can't kill 'em in one, Assassination into Hero Strike will probably do the trick. A lot of my stealth killing on hard means rush assassination and then beat them down before they can really react and get then back out before anyone else notices. Which, for me, feels even more badass than having a 'press A to delete' button.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I like to batman the camp. Take out all the other goons, leaving the Captain/whoever till last, wandering around a desolate fort. Then if my crit/assassination doesn't wipe them I can lure them somewhere so I can boot them off a wall/cliff. :hellyeah:

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I was doing some quests around the world, killing cultists, and that lead me to Lemnos where you get to assist Barnabus a bit with some family problems. It was really fun at the end because one of my lieutenants who I romanced showed up in a cut scene and we got to talk about how she's doing on the ship and then bang it out again. :v:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Finished the game ar 75 hours, with only that loving Hermes Homies trophy out of reach.

- The ship feels superfluous. Thanks to level-scaling I never felt any stronger than the opposition despite maxing the thing. Once you unlock fast-travel on all the islands you'd be forgiven for forgetting you even have a boat.

- Never did recruit anyone with the Heimlich maneuver after the tutorial.

~ The Mercenaries system doesn't feel like a system. It's just a punishment for getting caught. The only real interaction you have is killing all the higher-ups to earn bonuses, it's very linear. I wish there was an onscreen way of knowing that a mercenary has been sicced on you instead of having to consult the map every 30 seconds in combat.

- I'm okay with there being daily-bounty stuff like in Dying Light, but I'm against any single-player game that adds the radiant-quests from Skyrim. Games should aspire to be finite and not deliberately add parts that people should skip.

- I never bothered with those loving riddle maps I kept picking up. Probably because you get so much loot in this game that there isn't any need to seek out more.

- I think a better way of having progression in an open-world game without locking stuff behind levels would be some kind of Perk system like the Saboteur; defeat a storyline boss? Get a perk. Clear out a region of bandits? Get a perk. Complete a sidequest? Get a perk. The Engraving system has shades of this and I think it would be a good idea to get rid of levels and XP entirely in a future game.

- Coupled with above would be a more convenient gear system. I really don't like this Diablo crap since it just adds inventory management but little strategy. Maybe have a permanent arsenal like in the previous games, but it's not solely linear progression and you have a lot of room to mix and match bonuses

- Quests seem unimportant to the point that completed ones aren't listed in the quest log. I finished the game with a ton of gold quests uncompleted because I'd hit the level cap and there was no mechanical reward or story incentive to go after them. I completed all 280 quests in the Witcher 3 because that was the meat of the game and there was a ton of variety and the XP and gold was secondary to what amusing adventure you'd go on.

-I think there'd be more incentive to clear out the map if there was less content on the map. There's a ton of poo poo in the Arkadian subcontinent uncompleted because I have no reason to go there, mechanically. The only stuff in Witcher 3 that people skipped were the Skellige caches.

+ The cultist system is excellent. Having cultists be storyline characters, sidequest characters, and even civilian npcs is genius and so is having to do the legwork in finding them, as it's your own agency that dictates you kill these guys and not some quest-giver.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 18, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Omi no Kami posted:

Normal... if properly geared assassination is viable, I'll see about min/maxing my gear to buff assassination damage; maybe that'll do the trick.

Make sure you are scribing all your gear, it adds up and it's cheap!

I don't do any hunter stuff because I suck with a bow, so every piece of my gear is either primary warrior or assassin damage. I then scribe whichever one it's missing. If it already has both, then I scribe a generic thing like "all damage" or "total armor" depending on how I feel.

As you are comparing gear, look at the bottom of the screen and it will tell you how much affect the change will have on each part of your character - Health, hunter damage, warrior damage, assassin damage, and total armor. I am not too far ahead of you in game, and all the normal whites die instantly to a basic assassination, and heavies are 1-hit from dying. A critical assassination (I think that's it's name, hold down the F key to assassinate harder) will take down most captains in one hit, and take a huge chunk of a polemarch or mercenaries health, allowing them to be easily finished.

By this point in the game you should be getting a fair number of pieces of gold/purple gear. If you look you'll see that the percentage bonus to damage types are higher on those pieces, so sometimes you might want to give up the improvement in armor that a blue piece that drops gives you in favor of keeping the higher damage for a few more levels.

Upgrading a gold/purple piece might be a better move than replacing it with inferior bonus items of lesser quality, but it gets really expensive in materials. I find that metal is the choke-point for upgrades to everything for me (ship, weapons and armor all included).

Even if I'm not interested in undermining a local government, I steal all the supply caches even if I don't burn them, because they often have decent amounts of metal.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Omi no Kami posted:

The game has a weird difficulty curve early on. It feels like the scaling is set for when you have all purple/gold items and points in every passive skill and it doesn't take into account that won't happen until 15-20 or so. I had exactly the same experience at that point in the game but it got better once I got all those passive boosts.

My advice would be check a map for tomb locations since those free ability points go a long way to maxing out the passive skills quicker.

For assassinating dudes the base assassination passive, critical assassination, and hero strike abilities are essential. Like others said it's normal for elites to take less than half damage from a normal assassination.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 18, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just go all in on assassin dmg gear and putting early points into the basic assassinate buff and critical assassinate as soon as you can imo. I've been playing on hard and even without doing that didn't run into any real issues with being able to one shot stealth kill til my teens, probably. Other than gold dudes and mercs. Focusing stealth dmg prob makes you a one shot machine.

Also seconding assassinate/critical assassinate into hero strike. As long as nobody else has line of sight on you, it'll kill people super fuckin fast. I even get away with it when dudes are a few feet away but just facing the other direction lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Another tip on stealth is you can be as loud as you want and fight as long as you want, as long as nobody sees the fight happening or is close enough to hear it. One time I got into it out in the open with a gold-level guy in a fort, so I punted him through a door into a dark room so we could fight in peace.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Big forts are great for that. Clear out all the low level dudes on one half and then beat the poo poo out of the captains in peace before moving on to the other side.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The lowest level sage also drops a dagger with an engraving that gives you +40% damage to attacks from behind, which most assassinations will benefit from.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Lord Hydronium posted:

The lowest level sage also drops a dagger with an engraving that gives you +40% damage to attacks from behind, which most assassinations will benefit from.

Does this actually apply to your basic assassination (not skills)? I've been doing some testing with engravings and it seems to me that assassinations don't benefit from any damage multipliers outside of ones that actually make your assassination sheet damage go up.

On that note, I feel like a bunch of engravings may be broken or not working as intended. So far it seems that

1) The +40% bow damage if above target doesn't seem to work. I tested this by both firing the bow and looking at projected healthbar damage when above, below, and at the same level as the target. Actually, I think it may be working in reverse as the only time I've seen a damage increase projected on an enemies healthbar is when I went below the target.

2) The immortal engraving that's supposed to restore 20% health when you're killed doesn't seem to work, especially when you have the +100% damage but capped at 25% health engraving as well. I tested this by letting enemies kill me repeatedly - I tried this with attacks that take me from 100-0 in one hit and also by letting myself get dinged by an arrow with a sliver of health. I'd also make sure I was only getting hit by single attacks (so not a flurry where a follow-up blow just kills me immediately). I literally never saw this one work with or without the +100% damage/25% health engraving.

Has anyone else noticed these broken engravings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Any reason in particular why this game wants to use 95% of my 1080ti and 4GB of VRAM just sitting in the main menu at start up? Frame rate is capped at 118.