Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Salisbury Snape posted:

I keep trying to come over and play with you guys but can never connect to your server :smith: I'm done with official servers until something is done about meshing or the people abusing it. Its hard enough to compete as a solo player on small tribes without this bullshit.

If it was yesterday, there was an update and it should work now. If not, make sure you have the two mods installed (links in the PGS thread)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I've got the mods Installed but can't find the server in the list. And if I try to direct connect it times out. I'll figure it out eventually

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Salisbury Snape posted:

I've got the mods Installed but can't find the server in the list. And if I try to direct connect it times out. I'll figure it out eventually

Did you add this to your launch options in steam?
+connect 45.35.132.130:18615 +password jeffk

I accidentally hit E while on a bird and managed to land somewhere I cannot get out of. Fun! Like it would be funny if i wasn't at risk of losing all the poo poo i just made. It took forever to get 4700 metal to make the long rifle.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 18, 2018

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

It's entirely possible I didn't add the port.
Out of curiosity what are the taming and xp multipliers for your server? It isn't mentioned in the server thread op

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Salisbury Snape posted:

It's entirely possible I didn't add the port.
Out of curiosity what are the taming and xp multipliers for your server? It isn't mentioned in the server thread op

I don't know exactly, but they're pretty high. I know it takes less time than the wiki says to train something, and you'll get levels really, really quickly at first too. Gathering is high too.

Every time I log in I look at the event log and my birb and giff haven't died yet. its kind of nuts when you think about it, considered they were left behind in dragon infested areas.

Neebs tamed a Rock Golem today, which I had no idea you could do, and they used sulfur, something I didn't even knew was in the game!

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

twistedmentat posted:

Every time I log in I look at the event log and my birb and giff haven't died yet. its kind of nuts when you think about it, considered they were left behind in dragon infested areas.

Once you're outside a certain radius they go into stasis so they'll be there chilling in a Schrodingers' box situation until you get close enough and all the dragons spawn and detect fresh meat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nullscan posted:

Once you're outside a certain radius they go into stasis so they'll be there chilling in a Schrodingers' box situation until you get close enough and all the dragons spawn and detect fresh meat.

Ah okay. Its probably possible to get my griff back, it was just outside of the southern dragon zone, i just have to come from it from the desert rather than the green spire. I'm not brave enough to try. Plus I was going to use a pterradon but the one I got has this cool pattern and I don't want to risk it. Probably just tame another one for a sacrifice.

Oh so giant bees, I've found hives, but the instructions aren't very clear. You destroy the hive then you tame the queen with a rare blue flower, or you have to fight all the drones first then the queen comes out? I noticed there is an S+ Hive that just needs honey to activate.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

twistedmentat posted:

Oh so giant bees, I've found hives, but the instructions aren't very clear. You destroy the hive then you tame the queen with a rare blue flower, or you have to fight all the drones first then the queen comes out? I noticed there is an S+ Hive that just needs honey to activate.

Yeah, break the hive (I used dimorphodons from a distance to not agro the soldiers), then sneak up with flowers in the far right slot and passive tame it. Best with a ghille and bug repellent too. If you piss off the queen, soldiers will come out and attack. It took forever to get it right when I did it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nullscan posted:

Yeah, break the hive (I used dimorphodons from a distance to not agro the soldiers), then sneak up with flowers in the far right slot and passive tame it. Best with a ghille and bug repellent too. If you piss off the queen, soldiers will come out and attack. It took forever to get it right when I did it.

Ah yes I should have know. I have all the ghille stuff except for the mask and chest. Mostly because I'm too scare to try to hunt for organic polymer in the desert.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I haven't played this since maybe 3 months after the initial release. Is there a good compendium or what has changed since then? I know it's probably a gently caress load but I figure it'd be better than going in blind after all this time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Dude they have added so many goddamn creatures its ridiculous. They just keep adding them, with no regard for balancing jack poo poo. I wouldn't even know where to begin answering that question, its a totally different game now. To be honest I've concluded that the game is the most fun when you don't know anything about it. The more you learn about the game, the more you see the problems, and the sense of wonder starts to go away. For me, a large part of my enjoyment was that sense of wonder. So like I would do stuff like, not look up a dino on the wiki until I've successfully tamed it once. Because every time you come across a new creature it's an experience, and I loved it every single time it happened.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 31, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really want to like ARK, but I just hate the way they set up stats and the crazy modifiers that exist for them. If the game just didn’t have levels and there were clear progression paths and tiers to dinosaurs it would be fine. But instead I go from one area to another and whether or not I can kill this dinosaur I encounter is based on a dice roll.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
game was better in 2015 and difficulty 1 or 2

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've only ever played it over the last few months and i've enjoyed it enough. Though I enjoy it being a sandbox I can gently caress around in.

Except for BS that I mentioned earlier.

But speaking of that I did rescue my griffin! I have no idea where my birb is though. There's too many dragons down there to explore.

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
So looks like we get mechs now??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOH-IOA9qq0

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

I want one of those owl dudes. :colbert:

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
The Gasbag reminds me a lot of the Sky Bison from the Avatar cartoon which is awesome.

Fantasy Owl is also awesome.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

j5mello posted:

The Gasbag reminds me a lot of the Sky Bison from the Avatar cartoon which is awesome.

Fantasy Owl is also awesome.

Oh hell yeah: I want whatever the Kirby-thing was, too. :woop:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol the giant furry tardigrade

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Abberation scared the poo poo out of me, but this actually looks good.

BTW the game is free until sunday, that's a long free weekend.

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
I'm also pretty certain they added a Pokeball equivalent to the game based on the footage around 1:40.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Oh my god

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So is there interest in doing a goon Extinction Server?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

So is there interest in doing a goon Extinction Server?

Yes?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nifty

Also someones Rex has been running aroud loose for a while

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

Nifty

Also someones Rex has been running aroud loose for a while

Should rename him Gilligan. :haw:

Speaking of, maybe we'll just do what Neebs and them are doing and transfer from Ragnarok to Extinction... :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Should rename him Gilligan. :haw:

Speaking of, maybe we'll just do what Neebs and them are doing and transfer from Ragnarok to Extinction... :shrug:

I'm cool with that. I'm co with starting over or keeping our characters. I'm only 102 or so.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'll prolly join Goons for the new expansion too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Really trying to give this game a fair shake on the free weekend but I swear to god in a dozen or so starting attempts I got ganked by level 135 raptors in the "easy" starting zone in what feels like 10 of them. I'm probably just lovely at this game but man has it been a frustrating experience that does not make me want to come back.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

explosivo posted:

Really trying to give this game a fair shake on the free weekend but I swear to god in a dozen or so starting attempts I got ganked by level 135 raptors in the "easy" starting zone in what feels like 10 of them. I'm probably just lovely at this game but man has it been a frustrating experience that does not make me want to come back.

The early levels are mostly dying a lot for reasons you don't understand: they go hard on the ~survival~ aspect of the survival game...it gets better once you can build some walls, a bow, and grab a few tames.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yep, focus on at least getting wood buildings first, and a crossbow and metal tools and weapons.

I remember I built a thatch house early on and had tons of mats in storage boxes, and a Rex ran onto the beach and just crushed it. A wooden house won't keep a rex out, but it will at least slow them down.

Try to get a Pterasaur asap. They're fairly easy if you bolo them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I couldn't do it.. I can tell there's some fun to be had here but it's just too frustrating to keep going in after dying for the 20th time less than a mile from the beach. The one time I had a decent run going some rando ran up to me with the plague or some poo poo and passed it on to me, boy was I happy to find out that when I inevitably died by getting stung by bees I still had the plague after respawning. I think if I could convince some friends to play this with me it would lessen the blow but eh this just isn't for me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

explosivo posted:

I couldn't do it.. I can tell there's some fun to be had here but it's just too frustrating to keep going in after dying for the 20th time less than a mile from the beach. The one time I had a decent run going some rando ran up to me with the plague or some poo poo and passed it on to me, boy was I happy to find out that when I inevitably died by getting stung by bees I still had the plague after respawning. I think if I could convince some friends to play this with me it would lessen the blow but eh this just isn't for me.

We have a chill server for goons if you want a place. We’re playing on Ragnarok right now, but may switch to Extinction before the end of the year!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's a sandbox... Some places are safer than others but there is no such thing as a safe place. The game is about slowly conquering the sandbox. There are plenty of tools to help you do that, but you are either unaware of them or refuse to use them. I'm not criticizing you, by the way, the game explains nothing.

For instance if you want to get a leg up early on, you can tame both the anklyos and the turtles in relative safety. They are too slow to catch up to you so you can kite them. Knock one out with a slingshot and something like 40 rocks or so, depending on how high level it is. Make sure he is alone or his friends will help him.

Dilos (spitting Dino) are very easy to knock out as well.

Don't take death too hard. No matter what, you are gaining levels and exp and in the end that's going to be your most valuable resource.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

We have a chill server for goons if you want a place. We’re playing on Ragnarok right now, but may switch to Extinction before the end of the year!

Yup. We've tamed the west coast of Viking Bay so its pretty safe.

Hell, if you want I could drop off some leather armor and some other basic stuff to help you survive early on if you want down there.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Movement speed, stamina and weight are your friends early game. That will allow to to outrun most of the nasties you come across on the beach.
Getting a 2x1 thatch hut with a sleeping bag or three is essential, upgrading that to stone ASAP and getting a proper bed. From there you can make short trips into the wild and start to learn.
Keep your kits cheap (stone tools, cloth armor) until you get a feel for what and where you can go in relative safety. 95% of the stuff you will encounter near the beaches in the 'safer' spawn zones are unable to destroy stone structures, if you get something bigger angry with you, kite it as far away from your house as you can. Preferably into the sea, and let it kill you. You can pretty much ignore it after that, or go back just into render range where it will sit inactive but spawned and drown after a few minutes.
Once you get to grips, and you have some tames under your belt you should be able to venture further and use more expensive items and actually fend for yourself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think the only things that can destroy stone walls are Gigas, Murder Chickens and Dragons.

Raptors will ruin your day, but sabertooths are a bigger problem. A trick I found was to get bolas early on and you can use that to either just knock out or kill dinos or immobilize them and run away.

I rewatched the needs advice for beginners and I forgot that you can easily tame a Diplo for some easy early backup.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Alphas can destroy stone, too! :eng101:

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I think the only things that can destroy stone walls are Gigas, Murder Chickens and Dragons.

Raptors will ruin your day, but sabertooths are a bigger problem. A trick I found was to get bolas early on and you can use that to either just knock out or kill dinos or immobilize them and run away.

I rewatched the needs advice for beginners and I forgot that you can easily tame a Diplo for some easy early backup.

I've always been pretty poo poo with Bolas. Preferred silly movement speed and run away. I always worked on the assumption some of the bigger stuff could murder stone (when wild) guess that makes life a little simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Got my viking bay house upgraded to stone, but I'm running into a major logistical nightmare, my meat isn't spoiling fast enough to make narcs for narc arrows