Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Helsing posted:

In his last year when it was time to secure his legacy and spend his political capital on hard choices that might even upset some of his own supporters Obama decided to... *drum roll* do a full court press on behalf of the Trans Pacific Partnership!

Remembering people talk about how the world economy was going to end if we didn't agree to this INCREDIBLY important trade deal that we weren't allowed to know the specifics off in light of how it getting chucked into the dumpster by Trump didn't really matter combined with the potential real world ending climate change disaster looming makes me really mad at yet another waste of opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Remember that all the insane IP poo poo intended to price poor people out of medicine and basically eliminate the public domain going forward was defended as essential to getting other countries to agree, and you can't renegotiate a trade deal it's too delicate and all the horse-trading has already been done to give us the best deal that we could possibly get.

Then America dropped out and all those other countries immediately dumped all the insane IP poo poo. Turns out you can renegotiate trade deals anytime, oh and also all that insane bullshit was stuff America (well Obama's handlers) strongarmed everyone else into accepting, and not only wasn't it essential to inking the deal it actually made it less likely to go through.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It was really depressing that with all the obvious problems facing the country the majority of the political focus was going into the stupid trade deal that was so unpopular his planned successor had to distance herself from it on the campaign. Imagine if that effort went into something people felt they needed to protect. It kind of highlights the risks and for what things liberals are willing to take.

Medicare for all is just too risky despite it being popular with even Republicans but we can tempt fate with a Trump presidency with an open SCOTUS seat for a meaningless trade deal which ultimately didn't matter.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The blue wave isnt coming

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

LeoMarr posted:

I think you will find that blue waves are going to become much more of a problem for coastal cities for the coming decades.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

LeoMarr posted:

:rip:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Wemus I know you like this trope but try not to ‘yes I concur’ with the fash if you can help it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Office Pig posted:

Wemus I know you like this trope but try not to ‘yes I concur’ with the fash if you can help it.
Have you ever considered that maybe the real fash is u?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Can’t spell antifa without... fa

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

no

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Office Pig posted:

Big fascist reporting in

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think you will find that blue waves are going to become much more of a problem for coastal cities for the coming decades.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1052758197738643458?s=19

:ughh: another day, another capitulation

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

manchin loves hugging trump, and chuck schumer loves being humiliated by trump

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I was talking about that yesterday. Schumer, either because he is fantastically incompetent or because he is a mole, is way more dangerous than Trump as the leader of the opposition party. Frankly the fact that there is no way that anyone can influence Schumer's leadership posiiton meaning the party will continue to be a joke or controlled opposition is what has me the most demoralized about how useless my vote next month will be.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

VitalSigns posted:

Remember that all the insane IP poo poo intended to price poor people out of medicine and basically eliminate the public domain going forward was defended as essential to getting other countries to agree, and you can't renegotiate a trade deal it's too delicate and all the horse-trading has already been done to give us the best deal that we could possibly get.

Then America dropped out and all those other countries immediately dumped all the insane IP poo poo. Turns out you can renegotiate trade deals anytime, oh and also all that insane bullshit was stuff America (well Obama's handlers) strongarmed everyone else into accepting, and not only wasn't it essential to inking the deal it actually made it less likely to go through.
Wait, what loving idiot claimed the IP poo poo was requirements of other countries? Because that was always 100% US companies seeking to impose our IP on everyone else. I think Pharma patents were the biggest one - who cares how many poors die as long as there's no chance anyone gets our research without paying.

That's 100% why I was so happy we dropped out, everybody else wins and our lovely corps get hosed.

Radish posted:

Yeah I was talking about that yesterday. Schumer, either because he is fantastically incompetent or because he is a mole, is way more dangerous than Trump as the leader of the opposition party. Frankly the fact that there is no way that anyone can influence Schumer's leadership posiiton meaning the party will continue to be a joke or controlled opposition is what has me the most demoralized about how useless my vote next month will be.
Only way to get rid of him that won't earn you a perma here is to have a dem elected president and stick him in some Important Cabinet Position for a few years. Getting a few of the worst idiots out of the senate, especially when they're guaranteed to be replaced by another democrat is probably the only worthwhile thing a generic D can accomplish.

Harik fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 18, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

manchin loves hugging trump, and chuck schumer loves being humiliated by trump

Don’t kinkshame. :mad:

https://twitter.com/byaaroncdavis/status/1052908129367859201?s=21

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The base argument for the Democratic party is that at least they won't make things worse, but they can't even do that.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nothus posted:

The base argument for the Democratic party is that at least they won't make things worse, but they can't even do that.

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonnyc/status/1052594667819323393?s=21

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sure is great to have all these shitlibs coming out of the woodwork and demonstrating to the minorities of America that their concerns are completely immaterial next to not making rich, white liberals look bad in the shitlib mind. And right before an extremely important election, too.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

This was a post last night in the Trump thread in response to Trump saying it's ok if MbS tortures and kills journalists because they buy weapons from us:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i know and it loving enrages me. like I get it, we have to work/be friends with monsters and poo poo because thats the way the world works but he is so loving open about his boner for monsters its loving sickening.

You don't even have to paraphrase it, it's literally "I don't hate what Trump's doing on substance, I just hate that he isn't keeping with :decorum:"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"I know we have to be friends with monsters because that's how the world works"...the unspoken here is that "the way the world works" is that a small contingent of capitalists get rich on exploiting necessities that have been commodified while hundreds of millions suffer and die for their profit.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

They never hated Bush. If it was Bush or Nader they would have picked Bush. The sum effect of the antiwar movement was to make enough shitlibs pretend to be human that Republicans pretended to feel shame.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

EdithUpwards posted:

They never hated Bush. If it was Bush or Nader they would have picked Bush. The sum effect of the antiwar movement was to make enough shitlibs pretend to be human that Republicans pretended to feel shame.

lol at blaming the antiwar movement for that

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

If that's not it I have no idea what started Bush Fatigue.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

EdithUpwards posted:

If that's not it I have no idea what started Bush Fatigue.

It was a one-two punch of bad PR. First the Bush administration officially admitted there were never actually any WMDs, which the press took as a signal to end their unconditional support for the Iraq War and start airing more critical news.

Then the administration started saying that they needed a massive increase in troop counts in Iraq (the "surge") if it ever hoped to make any progress at all, which confirmed the developing sense that the Bush administration had no loving idea what it was doing in Iraq.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Natives love republicans becuse they benefit from rep gun laws.

Pocohohontas was a traitor btw

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

LeoMarr posted:

Natives love republicans becuse they benefit from rep gun laws.

Pocohohontas was a traitor btw

Pocahontas was a pre-teen.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Pocahontas was a pre-teen.

Who married a white dude and whos family lineage produced robert E lee 250 years later. Shits crazy.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1053242355157950464?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the loving worst.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm really curious what that means exactly since the obvious interpretation of that is pretty loving atrocious. I'm not joking when I say that Schumer is probably the biggest obstacle to preventing a fascist state and I'm pretty suspicious he's a mole for the Republicans now that I'm sure he thinks things have started getting too leftist amongst the hoi palloi.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I agree with Chuck Schumer, there’s too much emphasis on decorum and politeness and civility. In that vein, go gently caress yourself, Chuck Schumer.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree with Chuck Schumer, there’s too much emphasis on decorum and politeness and civility. In that vein, go gently caress yourself, Chuck Schumer.

Mentally replacing "political correctness" with "treating other people with respect" has never failed me yet.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Stewart Lee also had a good but on political correctness a while back that was basically "not being an rear end in a top hat" and it's always been pretty accurate.

I'm not going to waste my time watching Morning Joe; does Schumer actually go into what has gone too far amongst people wanting to be treated with respect?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Radish posted:

Stewart Lee also had a good but on political correctness a while back that was basically "not being an rear end in a top hat" and it's always been pretty accurate.

I'm not going to waste my time watching Morning Joe; does Schumer actually go into what has gone too far amongst people wanting to be treated with respect?

Nope

https://youtu.be/rHYuFb5fViE

The too much political correctness part is at 9:00

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

not surprising a man whose brain is literally infested with republican phantasms thinks there's too many sjws nowadays

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

it is cool in the height of racism and homophobia/transphobia that if the democratic party takes back things, they absolutely do not have my back

i'm voting for Ilhan Omar for my rep and then that's it, i'm done with this loving party

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I agree with Schumer and with Obama on this.

quote:

OBAMA: […] The civil-rights movement happened because there was civil disobedience, because people were willing to get to go to jail, because there were events like Bloody Sunday. But it was also because the leadership of the movement consistently stayed open to the possibility of reconciliation and sought to understand the views, even views that were appalling to them of the other side.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Because there does seem to be a strain on some of these campuses of a kind of militant political correctness where you shut down the other side.

OBAMA: And I disagree with that. And, it’s interesting. You know, I’ve now got, you know, daughters who — one is about to go to college — the other one’s — you know, going to be on her way in a few years. And then we talk about this at the dinner table.

And I say to them, “Listen, if you hear somebody using a racial epithet, if you hear somebody who’s anti-Semitic, if you see an injustice, I want you to speak out. And I want you to be firm and clear and I want you to protect people who may not have voices themselves. I want you to be somebody who’s strong and sees themselves as somebody who’s looking out for the vulnerable.”

But I tell ‘em — “I want you also to be able to listen. I don’t want you to think that a display of your strength is simply shutting other people up. And that part of your ability to bring about change is going to be by engagement and understanding the viewpoints and the arguments of the other side.” And so when I hear, for example, you know, folks on college campuses saying, “We’re not going to allow somebody to speak on our campus because we disagree with their ideas or we feel threatened by their ideas —” you know, I think that’s a recipe for dogmatism. And I think you’re not going to be as effective. And so, but I want to be clear here ‘cause, and it’s a tough issue because, you know, there are two values that I care about.

I care about civil rights and I care about kids not being discriminated against or having swastikas painted on their doors or nooses hung — thinking it’s a joke. I think it’s entirely appropriate for — any institution, including universities, to say, “Don’t walk around in blackface. It offends people. Don’t wear a headdress and beat your chest if Native American students have said, you know, ‘This hurts us. This bothers us.” There’s nothing wrong with that.

But we also have these values of free speech. And it’s not free speech in the abstract. The purpose of that kind of free speech is to make sure that we are forced to use argument and reason and words in making our democracy work. And you know, then you don’t have to be fearful of somebody spouting bad ideas. Just out-argue ‘em, beat ’em.

Make the case as to why they’re wrong. Win over adherents. That’s how — that’s how things work in — in a democracy. And I do worry if young people start getting trained to think that if somebody says something I don’t like, if somebody says something that hurts my feelings that my only recourse is to shut them up, avoid them, push them away, call on a higher power to protect me from that. You know, and yes, does that put more of a burden on minority students or gay students or Jewish students or others in a majority that may be blind to history and blind to their hurt? It may put a slightly higher burden on them.

But you’re not going to make the kinds of deep changes in society — that those students want, without taking it on, in a full and clear and courageous way. And you know, I tell you I trust Malia in an argument. If a knucklehead on a college campus starts talking about her, I guarantee you she will give as good as she gets.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2015/11/obama-on-pc-a-recipe-for-dogmatism.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how has out-arguing worked for us thus far.

• Locked thread