Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So in my DM'ing session today the side character of Aremag, the Dragon Turtle of Port Nyanzaru, has turned into the campaign's main villain.

I can certainly say I wasn't expecting this, but I am pleased with this outcome :v:

It has also coined the term in our group, "Chekhov's Dragon Turtle".

Did they seriously not pay the toll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CofD breaks it up on two axes, Physical/Mental/Social and Power/Finesse/Resistance for a total of nine stats, which seems neat theoretically but in practice since it's a modern game you can almost always dump Strength.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dreadmojo posted:

Rolemaster bitches, it has 10 plus potential and temporary scores that go up and down each level which you calculate by rolling on three separate tables per score

Yesssssss

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
What exactly is the best CR for a "goblin" level monster to threaten CR3 characters? I know goblins are CR1/4, so I imagine a CR 1 or so monster would be a good choice, but with how wonky 5e monster math can be I know it might not be such an exact science.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Costume Fairy Adventures has Moxie, Focus, Craft, Grace, and Shine, I think that's a good starting point.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
separate intelligence into IQ and EQ, with race modifiers

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Piell posted:

Punch, Hugs, and Diss

I think this a PBTA game

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

The Bee posted:

What exactly is the best CR for a "goblin" level monster to threaten CR3 characters? I know goblins are CR1/4, so I imagine a CR 1 or so monster would be a good choice, but with how wonky 5e monster math can be I know it might not be such an exact science.

There is the "Goblin Boss" stat-block in the MM you could reference. Or reflavor any of the higher CR Hobgoblin's as a normal Gob.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Strength
Agility
Constitution
Intelligence
Intuition
Presence
Appearance
Quickness
Reasoning
Memory
Empathy

The Bee posted:

if the party is composed of four level 3 characters, then by the book, a single CR 3 monster should be threatening to them

if the party is composed of four level 3 characters, then by the book, four monsters of CR 1/2 should be threatening to them

your sweet spot is probably somewhere in the middle, with the usual caveat that putting up a single monster against four players is usually less threatening than the math would imply because of action economy

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 18, 2018

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Opening
Navigation
Persuasion
Consolation

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Combine every stat into Moxie.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Character
Relationship
Objective
Where

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Bee posted:

Assuming you mean level 3 characters. A pair of Bugbears could work. As they are Goblinoids CR 1 and decently tough. Alternatively a Goblin boss and a few lesser Goblin underlings could work.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Kaysette posted:

Combine every stat into Moxie.

There's the Three M system of Muscle, Moxie, and Mysticality that's seen some success...

I was also going to suggest Strongness, Quickness, and Rewriting the Universeness, but that's no different from 3.5.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Piell posted:

Punch, Hugs, and Diss

What about harm, hug, and harass?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

You beautiful bastard...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

D&d needs more ability scores not less. 3 physical (strength, toughness, agility) 3 mental (memorization, problem solving, mental agility) and then another 3 (luck, leadership, looks)

Go all in and roll these fuckers hell yeah
Justify splitting strength and toughness but not agility without resorting to tradition :argh:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Imagination
Pulchritude
Vim

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Two 6 point spectra:

Smart < -- > Tough

Cool < -- > Weird

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

AlphaDog posted:

Two 6 point spectra:

Smart < -- > Tough

Cool < -- > Weird

make this an X/Y scale and I am sold

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I'm really loving what peps are doing with the ability score mechanic. Mind if i grab some :3.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Y'all remember the 2e Skills and Powers book that broke each ability score down into subabilities? I think there were two for each ability.

Best set of abilities possible

Dexterity
Energy
Endurance
Zeal

Neatness
Utility
Thinking
Socializing

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 18, 2018

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Scary
Sporty
Posh
Baby
Ginger

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I wouldn’t even use attributes. Just select skills. If your skill comes up in play, you get to do something special. If not, you get a mundane result.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Farg posted:

Scary
Sporty
Posh
Baby
Ginger

Fruity, use this one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I made a character so fat that I have to make Dex saves every time I go up or down stairs.

He's hoping to find a magic carpet to use like those old people chairs for stairs.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Okay has anyone in history ever actually PLAYED Eoris?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Glagha posted:

This, but for a good game of 5e.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Arivia posted:

Oh my god shut up Arivia.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Arivia posted:

Yes, every Monday.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Glagha posted:

played? god no, but I did read the corebook and it was exactly how you'd think it was. baffling game mechanics and asinine worldbuilding.

the main thing I remember is that there were rules for "emotional combat" which worked the same as the physical combat rules. so you could stab someone with whatever they call a sword in eoris, or you could insult their mother for equivalent emotional damage

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Tetracube posted:

the main thing I remember is that there were rules for "emotional combat" which worked the same as the physical combat rules. so you could stab someone with whatever they call a sword in eoris, or you could insult their mother for equivalent emotional damage
That sounds potentially great.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tetracube posted:

played? god no, but I did read the corebook and it was exactly how you'd think it was. baffling game mechanics and asinine worldbuilding.

I thought you were going to list bad things

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Farg posted:

Scary
Sporty
Posh
Baby
Ginger
uhh we're talking about ability scores, not alignment

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the only scores true role players need are their characters meyers-briggs results

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That's ableist because no S in real life could ever roleplay an N. :smug: :smug: :smug:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Malpais Legate posted:

Oh my god shut up Arivia.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Look at all these nerds with their bad ideas about ability scores.

You only need 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
y'all are just listing adjectives

the secret to fixing ability scores is to realize that there's no reason the mechanic that improves your effectiveness should be the same mechanic that gates your access to power lists

the other secret is that the first thing is called "level" and the second thing is called "class" and that unless you're going to make further meaningful subdivisions you don't need anything else in that space