Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

idk how you really solve it without having a patronising animation

get topolsky in on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

two finger gesture on a phone to bring up the keyboard lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
bbos was just an incomprehensible mess of arbitrary gestures. also making otherwise identical gestures do different things depending on whether you started on the bezel or the edge of the screen

all this in a device marketed to the only people still using a blackberry in 2013, people so resistant to change that they'd use a five-year old cellphone that ran like dogshit when it was new.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

infernal machines posted:

bbos was just an incomprehensible mess of arbitrary gestures. also making otherwise identical gestures do different things depending on whether you started on the bezel or the edge of the screen

just like how pulling down from the top gives you either notification center or ios search depending on where you start

i'm so glad apple has the same design sensibilities as fuckin blackberry

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
event for the 30th announced

Macs Mini and Macbooks Air plz timb

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Scott Forstall posted:

:roflolmao:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

apple is more likely to announce a self driving car than they are to announce an updated mac mini

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

apple has made it pretty clear that they've lost interest in making good products

more likely to get a laptop thats 1mm thick and tears if youre not careful opening it than an updated mba or mini

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Postmaster GBS posted:

shaggar with the absolute deathblow bringing up that smug thumb motion commercial. the back button thing is a crime on the smax, i can reach it with one hand if i borderline fling the phone awkwardly toward my thumb (bad). poorly utilized screen real estate. phone looks and feels great. camera is good. unusable.

8/10, the verge

after going from iphone SE to XS, it turns out that I was doing this a lot less than I thought, but it still pangs every time I try and fail to do it on this gigantic clown shoe phone

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hacks4pancakes/status/1052759939612123136

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

tbqh is there anything they can actually do to make the mac mini worse? tho then again there's prob nothing stopping them from just making it a big ipad w/ no battery or screen

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i got my stuck b key repair back from the repair center today - five business days and a full top case and battery replacement to fix a single stuck key

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

tbqh is there anything they can actually do to make the mac mini worse? tho then again there's prob nothing stopping them from just making it a big ipad w/ no battery or screen

if apple decides to update the mac mini they're going to remove everything useful about it and make it an apple tv with 3 usb-c ports only

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

i got my stuck b key repair back from the repair center today - five business days and a full top case and battery replacement to fix a single stuck key

apple is so courageous

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i'm so glad apple has the same design sensibilities as fuckin blackberry

lol, blackberry. a few years ago apple hired the guy who basically ran the BBOS project at blackberry to run the OS team. he came from qnx so he wasn’t an idiot but he was a smug French Canadian and didn’t really get how apple worked or making consumer products that don’t suck. so he tried some dumb new initiatives that were bad and failed and then he left to head the camera group.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

they could go "oh hey the apple tv 4k runs macOS now" and I would probably buy one

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
rumor says the Mac mini is being rethought for what people actually use them for: racked build machines. I’m sure they’ll screw it up somehow.

incidentally, the apple factory line runs on Mac minis. every i-product is flashed and tested etc using minis. apple can never stop making them for this reason.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Generic Monk posted:

make the case out of glossy plastic

4 usb-c ports but you have to use one for power

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

apple can never stop making them for this reason.

this sounds like a challenge though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

new mac mini will be headless os x raspberry pi

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a cigarette-box size aluminium cube with single usb c port on the widest side

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

so is there a version of this but for penises? im asking for a friend

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Scott Forstall posted:

yessssssssssss new imacs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

poty posted:

so is there a version of this but for penises? im asking for a friend
yes, they're available from any sex toy retailer

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

incidentally, the apple factory line runs on Mac minis. every i-product is flashed and tested etc using minis. apple can never stop making them for this reason.

"Macs mini"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thank you

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Generic Monk posted:

yeh but you have to turn it on in the settings. reason being is that the gesture is to swipe down from the gesture bar at the bottom, and every single time i've given the phone to someone who doesn't know the swipe up to go home gesture they've invoked that instead

wait a minute. swipe down from the status bar? why would it be swiping down from the status bar, if the point of having the feature to move down the screen is to reach high up places on the screen?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Good Sphere posted:

wait a minute. swipe down from the status bar? why would it be swiping down from the status bar, if the point of having the feature to move down the screen is to reach high up places on the screen?

swipe down from the bar at the bottom of the screen

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that doesn't do anything and I don't think theres even enough space for it to register. this phone is a disaster

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

poty posted:

yessssssssssss new imacs

lol

i hope you enjoy the current imac "pro" because it's staying exactly the same until 2026

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Scott Forstall posted:

arm based MacBook air running ios

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

poty posted:

swipe down from the bar at the bottom of the screen

so that's the same as swipe down at the bottom of the screen? what if an app has swipe down recognizer?

nm i guess i could've just read this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208204

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ahahahahaha

goddamn, that's some good stuff

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Management posted:

lol, blackberry. a few years ago apple hired the guy who basically ran the BBOS project at blackberry to run the OS team. he came from qnx so he wasn’t an idiot but he was a smug French Canadian and didn’t really get how apple worked or making consumer products that don’t suck. so he tried some dumb new initiatives that were bad and failed and then he left to head the camera group.

Whatever culture of “making consumer products that don’t suck” that you belief exists at Apple will soon be sacrificed at the altar of infinite growth. Capitalism demands that Apple produce more and more expensive, finicky products until the company implodes.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

Whatever culture of “making consumer products that don’t suck” that you belief exists at Apple will soon be sacrificed at the altar of infinite growth. Capitalism demands that Apple produce more and more expensive, finicky products until the company implodes.

you mean tim cook the bean counter isn't a product visionary? say it ain't so!

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

infernal machines posted:

ahahahahaha

goddamn, that's some good stuff

eh, it makes as much sense as double tapping the home button. i’d prefer swiping the bottom edge actually

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

you mean tim cook the bean counter isn't a product visionary? say it ain't so!

forget the vision, I never thought the problem at apple would be actually shipping new models of computer at all but here we are

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

forget the vision, I never thought the problem at apple would be actually shipping new models of computer at all but here we are

when you put a business and logistics person in charge they try to milk every penny out of existing production methods. if steve were still around we'd be on like pencil v3 and airpods v4 already

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

man i can’t get over how nice the excess screen looks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it looks ok