Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

Cid Gomes (Ciro's brother that was elected senator) shittalked PT during a pro-Haddad rally this monday. These people are so incredibly loving stupid and petty jfc.

How many offensive missles does Venezuela have? And what are there range, can they hit pro bolsonario areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Plutonis posted:

We're gonna invade Venezuela in 2020 or earlier with US backing and it'll be a horrible bog just like the Saudis are having with Yemen

They've been itching for a war with Colombia for a decade, and Bolsonaro's gonna give them a war that makes them look even better.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the venezuelan military has a decent amount of modern toys from russia supplied in the past 20 years, the largest tank force on the continent i believe, and i have no idea if brazil can even sustain a force beyond its borders but it will be interesting to watch

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
brazil has a fairly large military industry of its own that makes aircraft, APCs, artillery etc. though. but also still uses hand me down boats from the 1930s for river patrol duties

i think brazil's only foreign deployment of any note in recent decades was a peacekeeping / humanitarian mission to haiti

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The only way Brazil could and would start a war with Venezuela is if Trump supports it, politically and militarily

My hope is that Trump would not want it (seems to me it would be a very expensive war)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

The only way Brazil could and would start a war with Venezuela is if Trump supports it, politically and militarily

My hope is that Trump would not want it (seems to me it would be a very expensive war)

if there's one thing Trump is known for its definitely parsimony with other people's money

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

It would own the libs so he's gonna do it when he gets a good excuse

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elias_Maluco posted:

Trump was dying to invade Venezuela and had to be talked down from it. He kept floating it to dignitaries at the UN and basically everyone in the world told him it was a bad idea.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 05:25 on Oct 8, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Defeat communism.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Metal Cat posted:

But under what casus belli Brazil would start a war with Venezuela? Refugees trying to get into the country isn't gonna justify that. More importantly, why wouldn't they just hire a bunch of mercs instead?

It's easy as Hell to invent a casus belli, and if the United States supports them they don't even need one. The international community couldn't stop them from invading Venezuela unilaterally because nobody has the balls to sanction a BRICS country in any way that counts.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

More than likely the most Brazil will do against Venezuela is help out any future contras financially and materially, and let them hide out in the Amazon if need be.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i would not be surprised if brazil invaded venezuela with the implied blessing of the US

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

i would not be surprised if brazil invaded venezuela with the implied blessing of the US

i hope it's an iraq/kuwait situation and we end up invading brazil

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
If the US invaded Brazil I can't think of a single group that would want to or bother resisting. You'd have red carpets being rolled up to the Chinooks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

greeted as liberators, i like the sound of that

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

i say swears online posted:

i hope it's an iraq/kuwait situation and we end up invading brazil

personally i hope it's a three stooges situation where we end up invading venezuela and brazil at the same time

and then we invade iran because why the gently caress not

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Metal Cat posted:

But under what casus belli Brazil would start a war with Venezuela? Refugees trying to get into the country isn't gonna justify that. More importantly, why wouldn't they just hire a bunch of mercs instead?

I talked to a Brazilian bolsonaro supporter yesterday and he kept on going on about supposed guerilla camps on the border the Venezuelans are supporting, which afaik is total bs but who bothers with truth any more.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cool dance moves posted:

personally i hope it's a three stooges situation where we end up invading venezuela and brazil at the same time

Horseshoe theory in action

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Looks to me like the Venezuela-Brazil border is nothing but big mean jungle so have fun with that then

Elias_Maluco posted:

I just answer that PT had the power for 14 years and failed to turn us into Venezuela. And then they got kicked out as soon as PMDB wanted it.

Im not convincing anyone, though. Is not rational

edit: and joe, it is true: mass media helped to create antipetismo, promoted for years the narratives that "PT is the most corrupt party" and even "PT wants to make Brazil into Venezuela" etc, thinking that they could use it to put PSDB back into power. But now we are somewhere else already. Now they are tyring to force the genius back into the bottle and they found themselves powerless

My friends gay liberal Brazilian roommate does not like bolsonaro but in every conversation he treats PT like its about to topple the Brazilian state and says that the fact he has to choose between PT and bolso helps him understand bolsonaro supporters (???)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

That's bc at the moment several media outlets are also doing the same thing of treating Bolso fans the same way Trump fans do.

God knows how many times I've seen a worried ex police commander rambling about not being able to murder more, chuddy people on the border cities moaning on how vz refugees are uppity or Norman Rockwell esque figures rambling on just how women and minorities have gone too far on portuguese telly and papers, including a segment where "ele nao" is viewed as slacktivism by bored women that should be on tupperware parties instead.

Marielle Franco is treated here in the same way Heather Meyer or JO COX that got murdered are viewed: "someone has died, for political reasons, i guess, should we even wonder what lead to it, nope let's just tie that to tone and populism instead and say that Haddad, Democrats (I know!! I KNOW BUT ACTUALLY GETTING PORTUGUESE TV TO SAY "DSA" IS IMPOSSIBLE, hell Jeff Flake and Mccain were seen as the main opposition to Trump) and Corbyn are just as fearmongering as their opponents."

Hell I've seen that pic of Bolso wearing that Ceara hat a whole lot this week onoutlets without even a single "hi here's why he's wearing that hat".

Kunster has issued a correction as of 10:56 on Oct 18, 2018

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say the damage was done by the media in both countries years before, and it is only directly when an election happens and they see the result of their actions, they start to panic a bit after it is way way too late.

They gaslight the population into fearing and hating anything even vaguely left wing, and doubled down on racism and this is the inevitable result.

(I wonder if #resistance will exist in Brazil?)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Ciro Gomes was part seen as that, even if he did show up to be interviewed by Glenn Greenwald. Which probably makes him leagues better than the US one?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
A lot of it goes back to what I said in terms of the media losing control of their monster. When Gilberto Gil was culture minister he wanted the creation of a national plan for culture, which would have reallocated spending from programs like the Lei Rouanet and other cultural incentives in places that are farther away from the capitals, and towards more amateur artists. This would have hurt globo directly, because not only did globo get a lot of money for the movie division this way, but a lot of globo artists would be involved in expensive plays that only ran a couple of times a week to accommodate their participation in novelas. So they went all out in denouncing the communist plan to subsidize cultural events outside of the southeast and comparing their plan to the Centro Popular de Cultura that communists supported in the 60s. Sothe changes that Gilberto Gil wanted to implement went nowhere, but then Lei Rouanet and so on all became symbols of the "communist plot" headed by PT.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Folha revealed that big companies spent more than 12 million reais to fuel and keep the nation wide network of pro-bolsonaro whatsapp groups through which the endless stream of lies and fake news flow

https://outline.com/PUbNkL

Of course right now that same network is already being used at full steam deny this

edit: oh, and its illegal, since its basically a huge unaccounted campaign donation

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

hoiyes posted:

If the US invaded Brazil I can't think of a single group that would want to or bother resisting. You'd have red carpets being rolled up to the Chinooks.

Brazil as the 51st state.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/stungusbungus/status/1052941718385975297

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This article has some good left critique on how PT's concessions led to the animal's rise.

https://newmilitant.com/brazils-march-to-barbarism/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
that's pretty fascinating stuff ^

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
That entire article has been pretty much my line of thought on Bolsonaro. He's been softening his rhetoric during the final days of the election, and some of his supporters legitimately believe he will be an economically liberal President. The problem is that those policies are super flawed and guaranteed to fail given our economic situation. Whatever comes after they fail and Bolsonaro becomes unpopular is the real issue here.

On another news: The Portugal consulate in Brazil shut off all nationality request applications. The doors are closing, if you want to get out better start working on it.

nerdz has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Oct 18, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ciro Gomes PDT declared they will require Bolsonaro's impediment based on the latest news. Haddad says he has witnesses and videos that link Bolsonaro to the whatsapp campaign, but havent released it yet

Probably nothing is going to happen, but lets see how it turns out

The minions are frenetically fighting the "fake news" all over all social networks right now

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Oct 18, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, like the justice system who made Lula the only person in the country who cannot speak to the media is going to block Bozonaro's candidacy at this point.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, like the justice system who made Lula the only person in the country who cannot speak to the media is going to block Bozonaro's candidacy at this point.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/Vinncent/status/1053003455953100801

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

that would be awesome lol

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

That would be cool but would 100% be followed by a coup

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

nerdz posted:

That entire article has been pretty much my line of thought on Bolsonaro. He's been softening his rhetoric during the final days of the election, and some of his supporters legitimately believe he will be an economically liberal President.

a pivot, you say?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

a pivot, you say?

I don't believe it for a moment. But if that actually ended up happening and he tried to be a legitimate liberal candidate, it would definitely be short lived. He's been saying several times recently that he wants a democratic, liberal government. But he also signed a letter of the catholic church promising to never legalize drugs or abortion. So yeah, it's kinda easy to see through.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Abortion is illegal in brazil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyanide Sandwich
Oct 24, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Abortion is illegal in brazil?

Much like everything else in Brazil, it is for poors.