Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

megalodong posted:

now the people that stay there and become higher ranks and SEALs on the other hand...
From what I've seen of special forces, it's basically society finding a use for those who would otherwise join outlaw biker gangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

got any sevens posted:

two things that go well with bongs

lmao

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Halloween Jack posted:

From what I've seen of special forces, it's basically society finding a use for those who would otherwise join outlaw biker gangs.

They'd do less harm if they became bikers tbh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Raldikuk posted:

This is amusing because basically the opposite is true. If you don't need to earn a living then you can dedicate towards the career of your choice a lot easier. Most people in some way end up settling a bit because of the necessity of having a paycheck; if they didn't have that burden and could just focus on their career of choice they'd be golden.

And of course there is also the aspect that who the gently caress cares? If you don't need to earn a living then maybe don't take the spot of someone who does??

When these walking abortions talk about careers, they obviously don't really mean careers, but made up titles they give to each other as participation trophies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dreddout posted:

They'd do less harm if they became bikers tbh
They're not useful to the society of you and me, but to people who own Halliburton stock.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ScrubLeague posted:

The replies are so good.

https://twitter.com/edtarnowski/status/1052763847965241344

:thunk:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, there was essentially a work stoppage in Vietnam among the rank and file soldiers, and any officers who attempted to force them to march out deeper into the woods and find some Vietnamese people to fight would get hosed up.

man imagine how horrendous it must have been to get drafted for vietnam. just forced to die in some hellhole jungle in a completely immoral war. no wonder that entire generation ended up being garbage

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shima Honnou posted:

The army recruits and hell really just targets poor people which is why like half of my graduating class from a high school in the middle of Detroit signed the gently caress up so they could escape this poo poo. They buy loyalty by giving people more than they could hope to get in a regular job lol

this is why an outsized portion of the military is drawn from the south and why they have twice the incidence of minorities as the general pop

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the reason zeppelin used hydrogen was because the US, through a quirk in geology, has a stranglehold on the planet's helium supply. This is in the form of helium that was formed by radioactive decay in the earth's crust and then became trapped in natural gas deposits. Other than smaller earth deposits that are out there the only way to get it is I think distillation of cryogenic atmospheric gas and this was so expensive zeppelin had to say gently caress it and use hydrogen.

in 96 the strategic helium reserve was ordered to sell everything off because apparently keeping the loving worlds supply of a noble gas that is comparatively difficult and expensive to get otherwise was dumb, and getting money would be better. This coincidentally matches up with new demands for helium beyond blimps and rocket coolant, in the form of coolant for MRIs and superconductors and stuff like that.

There's conflicting info according to my 2 second morning google sesh, so either the reserve was more recently under W or Obama ordered to just sell basically everything not bolted down, or there was some form of serious disruption in the helium economy that reversed policy back to conservation of supply. Apparently other countries have begun developing their helium extraction plants and the whole thing is just flipped around?

Anyway airplanes suck rear end and I'd rather take a scenic ride on an airship and be able to walk around like a human loving being instead of getting sardined into a dim can for 20 hours

They found a bunch more helium in like, Azerbaijan I think? I remember they found a rich new deposit of it a few years ago so that's probably why it's not a million dollars a cubic foot already.

From the replies:

https://twitter.com/2009superglide/status/409362570106007552
https://twitter.com/LoganJames/status/409376502082703360
https://twitter.com/LoganJames/status/409387123976830976

4 years later:

https://twitter.com/MagnanimousSco/status/1021980735874523138

:smith:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also you can't get helium by distilling atmospheric gas, once helium is released it rapidly rises up and completely out of the atmosphere, in fact completely out of Earth's gravitational pull since it's not strong enough to retain the light atom and it's slowly blown away by solar wind.

Once the helium on earth has all been vented, it's gone forever, not even transformed into something else like other resources are, just gone.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's pretty cool hail Satan

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Also you can't get helium by distilling atmospheric gas, once helium is released it rapidly rises up and completely out of the atmosphere, in fact completely out of Earth's gravitational pull since it's not strong enough to retain the light atom and it's slowly blown away by solar wind.

Once the helium on earth has all been vented, it's gone forever, not even transformed into something else like other resources are, just gone.

Ah, we can probably make more. Just put 2 hydrogens together, bam, helium

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's a great thing balloon manufacturers were lobbying the government to keep selling off the national helium reserve.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Halloween Jack posted:

Then they come back and join white sup gangs and poo poo anyways. The Perfect System.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1052794654771433472

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Looks like Darth Vader hosed a sad rabbit

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

How many accidents is this going to cause

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

PostNouveau posted:

Just put 2 hydrogens together, bam, helium

:golfclap:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Luckily, all of the hydrogen bombs that will fall in the upcoming nuclear apocalypse should replenish some of the helium supply.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lambert posted:

Helium exists.

Hydrogen is half the weight of helium.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If helium is used to make medical equipment, what element is best for making weapons?

harmium

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

If helium is used to make medical equipment, what element is best for making weapons?

harmium

boooooooooooooooooooo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't see the big deal, once we crack sustained fusion we'll have all the helium we could ever need.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

spacetoaster posted:

Hydrogen is half the weight of helium.

it's a quarter of the weight. you imbecile. you loving moron.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

https://www.quora.com/Has-capitalism-really-lifted-people-out-of-poverty-Or-is-that-a-lie

quote:

...in the World Bank’s annual report in 2000, they actually reported that the number of people living on $1 a day or less continued to rise and world poverty was predicted to rise to 1.9 billion by 2015 which is hardly the story they were hoping for.

Instead, the World Bank shifted the IPL to $1.08 (1993 PPP). Given inflation, this was lower in real terms and dramatically altered the results to look like there was a sudden reduction in poverty. Again in 2008 it was raised to $1.25 (2005 PPP) and again in 2013 to $1.90 (2011 PPP). Each time improving the results, a clever sleight of hand…

quote:

Continuing on the narrative of “economic growth not capitalism lifts people out of poverty” we can see that rapidly growing economies such as China, India, and Brazil are largely responsible for poverty reduction. India has been responsible for the largest poverty reduction in South Asia and Brazil responsible for the largest reduction in Latin America. China is largely responsible for the most poverty reduction in the world and they don’t follow a neoliberal model of economy at all.

quote:

What they also don’t tell you about poverty reduction is that people were never dramatically lifted into comfortable conditions with easy access to services. You could be lifted a few cents above the line and be considered ‘no longer in poverty’. The most dramatic increase was in Pakistan where it increased by almost a dollar.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Fix It posted:

Intelligent people use molecular weight. :smuggo:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dang that's a good post, saving this

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1053042538154647553

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/17/17989712/facebook-inaccurate-video-metrics-inflation-lawsuit

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
failed_to_clean_data.txt

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they'll never work a day in their lives why would they need to learn how to type or use a website to find a job or mess with excel

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
to be fair Steve Jobs is not anybody’s idea of a good parent so maybe let’s not use that example

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
love too spend hours refreshing my homepage

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

Um actually it's four times the weight, because they both have negative weight on earth where weight is defined :smug:

spankmeister posted:

I don't see the big deal, once we crack sustained fusion we'll have all the helium we could ever need.

I used to think this for real until I found out proposed fusion plants would generate like, milligrams at a time. Fusion is stupidly powerful so you really don't need much material to generate a heck of a lot of energy.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

spacetoaster posted:

Intelligent people use molecular weight. :smuggo:

i know that. that's why i used the dril line. yeah, that's the ticket :ninja:

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

those used to be called cubicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

succ posted:

those used to be called cubicles

Sorry, cubicles were deemed to be too inpersonal and isolating so everyone switched to open plan offices and now we need these blinkers to make things more inpersonal and isolating