Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wolf Pussy posted:

Good parents produce both good children and good resources.

Mmhmm, yes material conditions play no role in the quality of people's lives hey gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Good breeding makes for good parents.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wolf Pussy posted:

Good parents produce both good children and good resources.

lol

Jesus how many houses does George Soros have?
https://twitter.com/DavidWright_CNN/status/1052976602349543424

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 18, 2018

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich

PostNouveau posted:

Mmhmm, yes material conditions play no role in the quality of people's lives hey gently caress off

Quality of lives, yes, quality of brains and academic accomplishments, no.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wolf Pussy posted:

:lol: how are the quality of your brains?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Galaxy, in my case.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wolf Pussy posted:

When I matriculated at A&M in the mid 90’s I was shocked by how many white and black people were there.

Wolf Pussy posted:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:thunk:

that's my reaction

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i think they're trying to humanize the cruzes

right?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think they're trying to humanize the cruzes

right?

It humanizes one Cruz at least. I’m not sure this interview makes Ted look all that great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I imagine there are a lot of women who think "How the gently caress could anyone marry that open oozing wound of a man"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
pretty much every right wing professional I know would or already has sacrificed their entire family on the altar of career advancement so Ted is truly one of them

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1052968071307165696?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wolf Pussy posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/351120640180355072

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

holys hit wtf

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

zoux posted:

lol

Jesus how many houses does George Soros have?
https://twitter.com/DavidWright_CNN/status/1052976602349543424

Baring some sort of here to fore unknown scandal coming out, I really do believe that it's only a matter of time until President Beto swears in.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's an interesting map. Want to meet the folks in Southern Alabama or Central Wyoming that threw some $$$ to Beto.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I know it doesn't actually matter to the people putting forward the lie, but I do feel some visceral satisfaction that the biggest, bluest dots on that heatmap are right here in Texas.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Skex posted:

Baring some sort of here to fore unknown scandal coming out, I really do believe that it's only a matter of time until President Beto swears in.

God, I hope not. Obama was a disappointment as a charismatic suit with policy that was best described as "not uniformly awful", and I'm not too much a fan of repeating that particular game. I'll take Beto over Cruz any day of the week, but he hasn't impressed me with anything besides being a kind of friendly charming. I'd far, far prefer a firebrand who gives a drat over a guy who'll vote for imprisoning a person for bumping into A Cop, or who'll vote for 950 billion for the DOD and so on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

I know it doesn't actually matter to the people putting forward the lie, but I do feel some visceral satisfaction that the biggest, bluest dots on that heatmap are right here in Texas.

I also don't see a problem with donating vs. vulnerable national Republicans in other states because the Senate majority matters if you live in NY or CA too. Now if they were dumping money in Lupe's coffers...

Also:

Ol' liberal Longview at it again. (They also endorsed Abbott lol)

quote:

Though we did not realize it, when Ted Cruz ran in 2012 to be the U.S. senator from Texas to replace Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison he was actually in the early stages of a run for the presidency.

For much of the next three years that campaign was how he spent his time. He might as well have been a senator from Iowa, considering how much time he spent in that early caucus state.

What he did not do is represent Texas. He passed no legislation of significance, he did not use his leverage to help Texas and unless there were television cameras around, he was likely to be AWOL and unavailable to real Texans.

We don’t believe he ever thought he would have to run for senator again. He came in second in the presidential primary race against Donald Trump, though.

In the process, he did manage to alienate most of his colleagues, making it even more difficult for him to get much done for Texas

I'm surprised that the fact that he clearly has no interest in serving as a senator beyond a stepping stone to the White House isn't more of a problem for people

hahah Yes the problems in Venezuela commonly known to be caused by lack of respect for police and dope dealers

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 18, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

The money coming from elsewhere isn't necessarily "Yankee carbetbaggers" or something. People I grew up with in Texas are putting money in the race even though they live elsewhere (including me). I feel like a former Texan living in some other state can have legit interests in the race.

Also gently caress this line of thought anyway. Ted Cruz sets policy for the whole nation. People in Maine should loving hate Ted Cruz as much as Texans do.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

The Dipshit posted:

God, I hope not. Obama was a disappointment as a charismatic suit with policy that was best described as "not uniformly awful", and I'm not too much a fan of repeating that particular game. I'll take Beto over Cruz any day of the week, but he hasn't impressed me with anything besides being a kind of friendly charming. I'd far, far prefer a firebrand who gives a drat over a guy who'll vote for imprisoning a person for bumping into A Cop, or who'll vote for 950 billion for the DOD and so on.

Reads post, looks at user name.
Yup checks out.

Seriously, Beto was one of the first to come out and call for Impeachment proceedings against Trump, Notice that he never denied it in the debate? He's in favor of Universal Healthcare (note not coverage but healthcare). He pays lipservice to bipartisanship but he also pushes solid progressive left policies.

And he's got charisma in spades, and don't discount the value of that when it comes to both winning the election and getting poo poo done. Also he won't have the same tired old bluedog thirdway triangulating DLC infested congress that Obama was stuck with, he'll have the new more progressive gently caress :decorum: Democrats that are running today and in 2020 or 2024 2030 or whenever.

There isn't anyone else on the national stage that has that special thing that makes for unstoppable candidates, the only real question is whether he wins the Senate seat because if he does he probably won't run in 2020 given that he seems like the kind of guy to actually keep his word on something.

If he doesn't win it would be stupid of the Democratic Party to not take advantage of the energy and enthusiasm that he's generating. Finally why does everyone dogging on Obama forget about the most loving important part of what limited what he could accomplish. He was the first black President, He wasn't going to be able to be loving firebrand the backlash was bad enough as it was. I swear to god some of you Dems are bad folks are as bad as the Republicans with the whole pretending that just because Obama was elected racism doesn't matter any more.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skex posted:

He was the first black President, He wasn't going to be able to be loving firebrand the backlash was bad enough as it was.

He didn't have to yell and scream and scare white folks.

If he had put the bankers in jail for fraud, bailed out homeowners instead of Wall Street, and acted like he gave a drat if a real public option passed (eg not the lovely House public option which wouldn't have done anything and was killed anyway), and spent his time stumping for union rights rather than marketing another lovely trade deal this would be a different America. Like if he'd just acted like he believed 10% of what he said on the campaign trail.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

If he had put the bankers in jail for fraud, bailed out homeowners instead of Wall Street, and acted like he gave a drat if a real public option passed (eg not the lovely House public option which wouldn't have done anything and was killed anyway), and spent his time stumping for union rights rather than marketing another lovely trade deal this would be a different America. Like if he'd just acted like he believed 10% of what he said on the campaign trail.

Ok riddle me this , who would you support?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Good God, this. Beto is giving every single vibe that he'll fold when poo poo gets real, just like Obama.

Desperately grasping for the next modestly charismatic non-nosferatu aged Dem as some grand savior is a great way to just be disappointed yet again. And if you haven't noticed, we as a civilization are kinda on the clock.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 18, 2018

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

You guys realize Beto isn't president yet right? Maybe the criticism should start after he's a senator.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

RisqueBarber posted:

You guys realize Beto isn't president yet right? Maybe the criticism should start after he's a senator.

He's already got a voting record.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The Dipshit posted:

Good God, this. Beto is giving every single vibe that he'll fold when poo poo gets real, just like Obama.

Desperately grasping for the next modestly charismatic non-nosferatu aged Dem as some grand savior is a great way to just be disappointed yet again. And if you haven't noticed, we as a civilization are kinda on the clock.

No one is talking about him as some sort of savior, but he is to powerful an asset not to take advantage of.

The Dems are bad brigade is constantly going on about wanting candidates who have good policies and willing to fight for them, yet anytime one comes along who might you just automatically assume that they are a super secret bluedog.

Give me a loving break, yeah Beto uses polite language but he is running a openly progressive campaign in loving Texas and doing so competitively.

You finally get what for all we can tell is a legitimately good Democrat but that's not good enough for you, you have to start attacking imagined future betrayals.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skex posted:

Ok riddle me this , who would you support?

In 2020? Someone who has a long record of consistently advocating and voting for good things, not just someone who gives a nice speech about hope n change with a bunch of vague platitudes and lip service on issues they adopted 5 minutes before running. Because that's the lesson we learned from electing Obama.

The only politician I'm aware of with that kind of record is Bernard Sanders of Vermont, then there's a 2-generation shitlib gap, then Ocasio-Cortez who isn't eligible until 2024.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

The Dipshit posted:

He's already got a voting record.

So bring that up. Stop talking about "vibes" and what you think charisma is. Also why compare Obama and Beto in the first place? Obama was elected 10 years ago in a way different political climate and Beto is running for senator now. It's apples and oranges.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
If Bernie loses in 2020 can we start saying Beto would have won?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Skex posted:

No one is talking about him as some sort of savior, but he is to powerful an asset not to take advantage of.

The Dems are bad brigade is constantly going on about wanting candidates who have good policies and willing to fight for them, yet anytime one comes along who might you just automatically assume that they are a super secret bluedog.

Give me a loving break, yeah Beto uses polite language but he is running a openly progressive campaign in loving Texas and doing so competitively.

You finally get what for all we can tell is a legitimately good Democrat but that's not good enough for you, you have to start attacking imagined future betrayals.
Says the person who is already fantasizing about a presidential run. His voting record is available, and I'm not a fan. There is no secret that he'll be a blue dog.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

RisqueBarber posted:

So bring that up. Stop talking about "vibes" and what you think charisma is. Also why compare Obama and Beto in the first place? Obama was elected 10 years ago in a way different political climate and Beto is running for senator now. It's apples and oranges.

I already did. Where do you think the 10 year sentence for touching A Cop and the 950 billion came from?

Temper your enthusiasm for a "gotcha!" Please.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The Dipshit posted:

Says the person who is already fantasizing about a presidential run. His voting record is available, and I'm not a fan. There is no secret that he'll be a blue dog.

Why aren't you a fan? Honest question.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

In 2020? Someone who has a long record of consistently advocating and voting for good things, not just someone who gives a nice speech about hope n change with a bunch of vague platitudes and lip service on issues they adopted 5 minutes before running. Because that's the lesson we learned from electing Obama.

The only politician I'm aware of with that kind of record is Bernard Sanders of Vermont, then there's a 2-generation shitlib gap, then Ocasio-Cortez who isn't eligible until 2024.

Ocasio-Cortez as president would be a disaster.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

"We're not buying a second home anytime soon" and complaining Ted only makes 174,00 a year how tone deaf is she to the currently political climate. This did nothing but make Ted Cruz look and sound like even more of an rear end. Like she sounds ready to divorce him it's awful.

CelestialScribe posted:

Ocasio-Cortez as president would be a disaster.

If we keep pulling left buy the time she's eligible to run it won't be. Which is why it's stupid to speculate on this stuff some of it is almost of decade of vague hypotheticals away.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 18, 2018

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Monkey posted:

https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/78533/beto-orourke

In 5 minutes I can find as many votes on bills I'm familiar with that are a hard no for me. That's a bit much for me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Monkey posted:

because while he's way better than Cruz he's still a massively pro cop pro 'business' guy like you'd expect an incredibly wealthy white democrat would be? I'm supporting him but I really hope he stays in the senate where he can actually do good.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also Blue Dogs are a specific thing, of which Beto is very much not. Save that for actual Blue Dogs like Henry Cuellar or Filemon Vela or Vicente Gonzalez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skex posted:

I don't have to imagine future betrayals, he's already tacked to the center.

In the primary he talked about Medicare-for-All, now check out his site:

quote:

Steps that we should take together to transform healthcare include:
  • Improving the Affordable Care Act (ACA) by stabilizing our insurance markets. Guaranteeing continued payments for ACA subsidies that reduce enrollees’ cost-sharing and reimbursing insurers for high-cost individuals.
  • Incentivizing insurers to participate in the exchanges, especially in underserved counties.
  • Expanding Medicaid to cover more Texans and protecting the Medicaid guarantee for vulnerable children, the disabled, and the elderly.
  • Lowering premiums and prescription drug costs by using the government’s purchasing power to make healthcare more affordable for everyone.
  • Creating a public option on the exchanges so that Americans are guaranteed affordable coverage.
  • Achieving universal healthcare coverage— whether it be through a single payer system, a dual system, or otherwise – so that we can ensure everyone is able to see a provider when it will do the most good and will deliver healthcare in the most affordable, effective way possible.

"incentivizing insurers" (lol insurers don't want to participate in underserved counties, covering the poor and the sick is a money-loser, so we give them more free money and then pretend like we just don't understand why they're paying themselves bonuses instead of spending it on the unprofitable sick people)
A "public option", no details given (the last public option was deliberately engineered to be worse than private insurance so private companies could """compete on a level playing field""")
United States of Care bullshit about getting to UHC ~somehow~ ie in a way that preserves private profit. Nothing about guaranteeing healthcare as a fundamental right, just the hope that it will be as affordable as possible, in other words means-testing, benefit cliffs, insurance companies loving over the most lucrative customers.

He's already triangulating away the most popular issue in the primaries, despite Medicare-for-All being overwhelmingly popular in Texas and among both parties, and he hasn't even been elected.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 18, 2018